Since '99

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

The momentum on the field was headed in the opposite direction at that time though.
That class was overrated from the get go. They had the whole northwestern team ranked tops in every position

This one is more believable as it doesn't center around the hype of one high school team

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Yep I never was superly high on the 08 class. I thought it was good but there was alot of over hype. While in this class I think we have a few 3 and 4 stars who are much better then their rating.

Advertisement
I remember those boards back in the early 2000s and agree it's been far too long. Love the momentum we have going right now.

Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

But we haven't had a class like this in a long time.

That Coker class was the James Bryant, Willie Williams, et al year. It was a glimmer of hope that quickly became a dagger to the heart. For all the accolades in that class, we ended up starting Romeo Davis and Glen Cook as most of them fizzled out.

Wasnt there a DE in that class that was a big time out of state recruit that ended doing less than nothing.
Ryan Williams or something like that?

Ryan Anderson... BUST

I remember the ELITE RB class of Bobby Washington, Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, and Andrew Johnson.

Advertisement
Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

That Coker class was the James Bryant, Willie Williams, et al year. It was a glimmer of hope that quickly became a dagger to the heart. For all the accolades in that class, we ended up starting Romeo Davis and Glen Cook as most of them fizzled out.

Wasnt there a DE in that class that was a big time out of state recruit that ended doing less than nothing.

Ryan Anderson... BUST

Willie freelanced on and off the field and could'nt learn the defense. Ryan Anderson looked like a beast and I don't ever remember him making a play.

James Bryant was moved to FB and Kehoe promised another 100 yards a game.

Recruiting only matters if you actually have coaches that can coach them up AND call a game

Ryan Anderson... BUST

Willie freelanced on and off the field and could'nt learn the defense. Ryan Anderson looked like a beast and I don't ever remember him making a play.

Ryan Anderson never even played. Couldn't get off the bench.

anyone know what happened to SHADOW? the Moderator from the "Grassy" boards.. That dude always had the Scoop ..

Advertisement
Momentum is the experience that I feel like you're getting at Lu and I think we all are feelin' it with you in real-time. This is something you don't feel when a great class is locked up early or when you lose even 1 or 2 big battles late in recruiting season.

I live in Atlanta now and my kids are getting to experience momentum through the Falcons and the way they have taken control of their season with an offense that seems unstoppable and a young defense that is starting to gel at the right time.

It's like being a kid again - watching Miami in the OB, knowing that week after week we were going to win no matter who we played.

When those first bands hit shore, you know something is coming and you better take cover. These Hurricanes are building to be an unstoppable force and we are the crazy ******** waiting at the beach for it to arrive and purge college football again.

*punches a wall in my office*

Man, blast from the past! Grassy was fun, great board and lots of good people and posters, no bullsh!t, but I left mainly because of the festering negativity, DBC (man drove me nuts), and then the Moni that started this board!

This is the most exciting it has been in 10 years it seems! Although the Big Conch era with Patrick Johnson/Peterson was pretty crazy too... was that 2007? Don't remember...

Ryan Anderson... BUST

Ryan Anderson never even played. Couldn't get off the bench.

Rhyan. 🤓

Advertisement
I remember the ELITE RB class of Bobby Washington, Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas, and Andrew Johnson.

Charlie Jones was the only one who did anything average. Didn't BW wind up on the washed out shores of NCSU? The rest kind of faded into oblivion, IIRC.

Those classes back then were big on names but lacking on substance.

The worst lbr core in Miami history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing How much garbage came from it, I was also around grassy as miamichamps23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I think the 2008 class was similar in terms of anticipation. But several differences make this class exceptional.

First, it will be bookended by a phenomenal haul last year with 5 Freshmen AAs (3 LBs, Richards, Jackson) and several other emerging talents like Young and Homer, and what should be the best class of DBs ever in 2018. 2007 and 2009 were terrible classes.

Second, it's Mark Richt at the helm, a guy who won under Bowden and averaged 10 wins in the SEC. Add in Diaz and Kool on the defense. Imagine Marcus Forston and Arthur Brown under those two guys? This talent will be developed and managed effectively on game days.

Third, as Lu says, the wind is at our back. We are closing stronger than ever before. We're taking kids who were committed to Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Florida. Momentum is all in the right direction.

Finally, our last championship win was over 15 years ago. We haven't been in the conversation for 12+ years. These kids aren't going to a proven winner. They're going because they believe in themselves, the current players and the coaches. It proves these kids want to stay home if they can trust the program will set them up for success.

I think the 2008 class was similar in terms of anticipation. But several differences make this class exceptional.

First, it will be bookended by a phenomenal haul last year with 5 Freshmen AAs (3 LBs, Richards, Jackson) and several other emerging talents like Young and Homer, and what should be the best class of DBs ever in 2018. 2007 and 2009 were terrible classes.

Second, it's Mark Richt at the helm, a guy who won under Bowden and averaged 10 wins in the SEC. Add in Diaz and Kool on the defense. Imagine Marcus Forston and Arthur Brown under those two guys? This talent will be developed and managed effectively on game days.

Third, as Lu says, the wind is at our back. We are closing stronger than ever before. We're taking kids who were committed to Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, Florida. Momentum is all in the right direction.

Finally, our last championship win was over 15 years ago. We haven't been in the conversation for 12+ years. These kids aren't going to a proven winner. They're going because they believe in themselves, the current players and the coaches. It proves these kids want to stay home if they can trust the program will set them up for success.

**** near shed a tear. Upvote.

@LuCane

were you on the miami-hurricanes.com board at all? i didnt start following miami recruiting closely until i joined that board around 2000-2001
Is that Shadow's board? I lurked for a bit, but was mostly a participant on the original grassy and then Canestime. When D$ and I talked about opening this site and finally did it with Andrew, naturally I stayed here.

Advertisement
Back