Since '99

Advertisement
I was/am. It's kind of a dead zone now which is why I don't post much over there anymore. I started off on CanesTime (2002 - post-Grassy) but I remember the good ol' days of Augie and Burt (Chise) and GR8 and Deis and the gang. Back when Bakas' opinion meant something lol.

Shadow's board in the late 90s or so was a GREAT source of information at the time.

Anyone remember that Canebill dude? Lol

Bill still posts over there. Crotchety as ever lol

Someone started a thread today titled "Pete's 1/25 Update" and Bill had no idea who Pete was. lol

half the time I don't think Bill knows where he is.

I mean, I get that he might not go to CIS, but it's not like that was the first time Pete has been mentioned over there. Although, I guess in his defense, they usually refer to Pete as Aziz over there.

Who was the DE from Wisconsin that Coker signed? I don't care to sift through 5 pages of this thread to see if it may/may not be in there

Advertisement
I loved Grassy. The one bad thing back then was dial-up internet.

Who remembers Chris Patricola? He used to write Fido's Flipside.

Last edited:
Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

Same here....a long time ago on a message board far far away....good times

Advertisement
CraZcane and Juggsy

Hurricane Icee was a solid dude

Everyone hated bomb.

Who was the super pessimistic depressed guy?

Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

**** Lu, i started on Grassy in '97. First time i had access to a computer and stumbled upon the whole internet and message board thing. Did you use the same name?

You have no idea how many up votes I would like to have given for this thread.grassey was great and what memories.

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

Yep, but a lot of the members were basically a foregone conclusion. A good amount of elite prospects are coming on toward the end here. Hence, "finish." I thought back about 3 decades and can't remember something like this. Guys like [MENTION=608]MedleyCane[/MENTION] might be able to shine some light.

You're exactly right Lu. Was on Grassy starting around '97. This class just feels different. I think a lot of it has to do with the confidence we have in Richt and his pedigree. Best class in a very long time if it all comes to fruition.

Advertisement

Miss those days, Big E, MtPleasant cane... I went by CubanCane.

**** Lu, i started on Grassy in '97. First time i had access to a computer and stumbled upon the whole internet and message board thing. Did you use the same name?
Yep. Same name for 20 years. I didn't post as much early on. I was still in HS and trying to figure out how to play Cover 3 well. Was an awesome time on that Grassy board. Just sat back, read and learned. It's funny, when D$ and I contemplated this website, it was partly inspired by the substantive convos of those days and early members' board for Canestime.

Advertisement

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.
Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

Who remembers the Devin Hester Alien GIFs?

How many of you had the AugieDoggy alien U shirt? Mine, after many years, had one two many holes and I had to get rid of it.

Grassy (along with Shadow's board), W2, etc....it was the best of times for message boards and tailgating at home or on the road. Road crew ran pretty **** deep, tons of fun chasing the team around the country. Then things got a bit heavy handed and people went their separate message board ways.

I still laugh thinking about how Chefcane had everyone fooled that he was some deep insider. He did known some things, but his who wanted more so he just started tossing crap on the wall. The Anthony's Pizza in Lauderdale meetup was pretty cool, 5XNC is the only poster that posts here that was there. Was NotSince1985 as well? Canesforever (Randy), Auggie, and even Charles Fishbein were there.

Last thing, VT in '03 I believe it was. Bakas and I were out to the wee hours of the night....took him to his first strip club ever. Good Christian dude and take strip joint, but fun stuff.

nole80 - wasnt this Charles Fishbein?
BigBlueCane - i remember this cat was certain that Charlie Weiss was the second coming. lmao.
Canebill - :roll-canes2:

Advertisement
Back