Since '99

Advertisement
Dialing up and reading cascading comments over and over cause you knew it would take forever to get the next topic loaded. Didn't matter, still fire

Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.
Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

Who remembers the Devin Hester Alien GIFs?

Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.
Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

Who remembers the Devin Hester Alien GIFs?

lmao

Advertisement
yeah...and Randy Shannon. We had some pretty awful coaching.

Thanks... apparently I should be banned for it. I just wanted to say "wet fart"

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

HA! Upvote
ha. Chill. It was a point well taken. Just think the scenarios are different. And, beyond the MNW kids, it seemed like the majority of the kids underperformed. Bad stuff.

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]

were you on the miami-hurricanes.com board at all? i didnt start following miami recruiting closely until i joined that board around 2000-2001

Advertisement
Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

But we haven't had a class like this in a long time.

Different between what Lu and you are saying is that, we are coupling that with very good coaching as well. Randy and his staff were a joke!

[MENTION=3]LuCane[/MENTION]

were you on the miami-hurricanes.com board at all? i didnt start following miami recruiting closely until i joined that board around 2000-2001

I was/am. It's kind of a dead zone now which is why I don't post much over there anymore. I started off on CanesTime (2002 - post-Grassy) but I remember the good ol' days of Augie and Burt (Chise) and GR8 and Deis and the gang. Back when Bakas' opinion meant something lol.

Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

what feels different here is that these guys done seem to be recruits that have been recruited off of rivals lists... coker never really evaluated. Adding guys like Jeff Thomas, Harley, Herbert, Henderson, Edwards, etc... seems to be not only well regarded recruits but also guys that have been evaluated and have that dog in them...

This board is good but nothing beats the grassy board of the late 90's to early 2000's

Advertisement

That Coker class was the James Bryant, Willie Williams, et al year. It was a glimmer of hope that quickly became a dagger to the heart. For all the accolades in that class, we ended up starting Romeo Davis and Glen Cook as most of them fizzled out.

Wasnt there a DE in that class that was a big time out of state recruit that ended doing less than nothing.
Ryan Williams or something like that?

Advertisement
well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

The momentum on the field was headed in the opposite direction at that time though.
That class was overrated from the get go. They had the whole northwestern team ranked tops in every position

This one is more believable as it doesn't center around the hype of one high school team

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

You're exactly right, Lu. This fanbase has been kicked in the gut way too many times over the last 2 decades and there's been a lot of battered wife syndrome around here. Things are changing, fast, from a talent perspective, and this finish is something we haven't seen in forever assuming it all goes to plan. I couldn't be more thrilled right now - especially knowing how good the 2018 class is that's right on the heels of this one. Having an aggressive guy like Diaz and Kul getting to work with these DL/LBs... So Fla talent coming in droves to the skill spots.... No program in America has the potential greatness of Miami Hurricane football and those of us who know that can see what should be coming soon. Let's ******* GOOOOO.

Yep I joined grassy in 99 and this class is coming together very similar . I think next year's class will be even better.

Advertisement
Back