SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Advertisement
Was a graduate assistant at Auburn under Pat Dye and Terry Bowden.
12 years as the Buford HS head coach in GA, resulting in 7 state titles and a 93.2 winning percentage. 22 years total at Buford (including his time as an assistant coach there, when he was the S&C coach and DC).
Had a cup of coffee at Georgia State as the DL Coach/Assistant Head Coach before Dan Quinn snatched him up.
Spent 2017 as an assistant defensive coach in Atlanta under Quinn.
Already knows some of the coaches on the staff from his time as a HS coach in GA.

This is an interesting resume that demonstrates: (1) the guy understands winning culture (you don't win like that without establishing a culture and expectation of winning); (2) he must be a sound DL position coach (otherwise Quinn wouldn't want him); and (3) GA high school coaches know and respect him (because he's a proven winner there and has "NFL" on his resume). Although he clearly doesn't have any p5 coaching experience, this is a man who seems to have a lot of potential upside as a DL coach (and recruiter in GA, assuming he is willing to put the work in). Obviously, nobody can say for certain what he will be at the collegiate level, but the resume bodes well for his chances. He may make Richt look very smart, or like a guy who was trying to out-think the room on this one. Only time will tell, but I like our odds.

Advertisement
Very inspiring hire. Always better to be early on an upward-trending coaching candidate than late (retreads). Dan Quinn is a bit of a corch but he's an elite DL teacher so if Simpson was good enough for him he's good enough for me.

Advertisement
Lots of **** talk against Patke, similar to Hartley when he first was announced. Even if Patke is half the recruiter Hartley is,that’s a win.

I like the Simpson hire, he appears to be a good coach from a fundamental and technique side. While he doesn’t have the recruiting resume, his 7 state titles have put him around some really good college coaches. He knows what a good recruiter does and doesn’t do. He’ll own the room when talking to the family of the recruit.

A question for everyone that thinks this is just for recruiting... Why did the Atlanta Falcons hire him? I mean, it obviously wasn't for recruiting.
http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/ne...cle_b235c6b2-a765-5760-a2d8-6703c809417e.html

This link has a little bit of info on how Quinn knows Simpson and why Quinn hired him to be on the Falcons staff.

No surprise that many on this board are ****ting on the hire but coaches with a high level of defensive acumen like Dan Quinn think Simpson is a very respectable coach. It's probably a terrible hire since most CIS posters know more about football than Dan Quinn.

Advertisement
Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.
Would you stake Dan Sileo’s reputation on it?

Advertisement
That's like saying a woman is more attractive than Rosie O'Donnell.

I like this hire on its own merit.

She's an 8.5 (in her "prime") at some SEC schools.

weird-auctions---rosie-odonnel_ow3r86.jpg

Just going on record with my support for this hire. Some people would have complained if Richt had hired Bill frickin Belichick, for **** sake.

That would be a terrible hire, Bill just lost the Super Bowl. (CIS logic)

Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.

Buford's O-Line looks like a college O-Line!

My MO? Seriously? I give my opinion, if you don't agree...cool.

I did say he is unqualified for the gig because he is unqualified for the gig. Go let him coach somewhere else and actually produce something and then consider him. Why do we have to give him his first real coaching gig? Is being a GA at MSU a real qualification?

I assure you if we left him as a bullchit assistant, no real program was going to come calling and take him. It is just logic. It is common sense.

I am also glad you backed off on Jon Richt being some qualified coach. He isn't. He has name and that helps. He should be busting his as$ because but for his father he isn't employed as a coach here.

My problem with guys like Jon Richt and Patke is we actually need real help at certain positions. We definitely needed help on offense and STs but instead we have these two. Who is going to help MR call plays and diagnose what is going on out there because none of our current coaches have that ability. Now we're going into year 3 and not one change there (on offense).

I am not talking about Jess Simpson, I was talking about Patke. I assure you if we wanted Partridge and made him a serious contender, we could have him over Patke. I know beating Pitt for a coach is really difficult especially one with ties to South Florida.

Do we need a change in the offensive coaching staff?

In my opinion so far the main problems have been "recruit better QBs and Olinemen". They're doing that.

Advertisement
Back