SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Except Coach Kool was an unmitigated disaster as a recruiter.

If we get Simpson he's coming from an NFL salary - he's not taking a cut in pay to come here.

Nor leaving metro Atlanta where he has lived since Christ was a corporal.

Advertisement
I think he left us at the best time. We've JUST about enough talent on the Dline to tide us over until next February. Another recruiting performance like the last two on the Dline and we'd be moving LBs to DE.

Leaves before Jade puts ink to paper is too risky for my blood, so I’ll take when he left every **** day.

Because of Kul’s lackadaisical recruiting, Nesta was our most important signee.

I know the phrase "chess not checkers" gets thrown around on this board way too much. However, this move epitomizes the phrase in every facet. The state of Georgia produces elite DT's, and overall elite defensive talent year in and year out, and we just hired someone that is worshipped in that state. He has NFL ties, and clearly has an elite defensive mind considering Quinn brought him to the NFL straight out of high school (let that **** sink in for a second).

I am willing to bet anything that Kirby Dirty Shart is shytting bricks right now over at UGA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jon Richt coached with the Buffalo Bills the year prior to joining his dad in Miami. Camped out to reel back in Perry. Camped out to get a commitment from Williams. Camping out in Oregon to get a commitment from Johnson. He has demonstrated some ability to recruit. His dad is coaching the quarterbacks. Jon is doing all the grunt work.

Look, as long as Diaz is the DC he does get some say in the hires. I could care less Patke did 2-years as a GA getting an MBA at Incarnate Word. The guy played linebacker at an FCS school and did some GA time at an FCS school. Coaching is littered with guys like Patke. He did his time at Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State and Miami. He understands what Diaz wants to do probably better than anybody on staff especially with his linebackers. We need guys willing to work 14-hour days and willing to be on an airplane looking for prospects. We aren't bankrolling some large backoffice staff like Alabama.

Richt was a bullchit assistant with the Bills. He wasn't a coach. He was an assistant. There are many within an organization and if his last name was Smith, he probably wouldn't have gotten the position. In addition, he wouldn't have been a coach at UGA and the same thing here. Nepotism and name dropping.

Coaching is littered with guys like Patke, yup. They make their way up the ranks for many years at numerous programs until they're given opportunities at real schools. Guys like Urban Meyer did just that. Patke was some hump at the Incarnate Word. He was likely a better bartender than coach. He can turn out to be the best coach ever but...don't sell me on some BS that he was qualified for this gig.

I also love the bullchit hyperbole about Bama. Who said anything about Bama? With that said, maybe we could compete with Pitt for Partidge or NCST for KP. Why not bring guys who are actually good recruiters and coaches instead of Patke?

Back to Patke, I think it is really telling how nobody besides us wanted him when he was a lonely assistant. You can defend his hiring all you want but it reeks of a bad move.

Never heard of him until today.

I like what I've read.

It wasn't one of the three guys who the majority on this board would have recognized, but the reviews by his peers are glowing. If he can recruit, and his time as a powerhouse high school coach in Georgia suggests good things, then I like the hire.

Advertisement
Richt was a bullchit assistant with the Bills. He wasn't a coach. He was an assistant. There are many within an organization and if his last name was Smith, he probably wouldn't have gotten the position. In addition, he wouldn't have been a coach at UGA and the same thing here. Nepotism and name dropping.

Coaching is littered with guys like Patke, yup. They make their way up the ranks for many years at numerous programs until they're given opportunities at real schools. Guys like Urban Meyer did just that. Patke was some hump at the Incarnate Word. He was likely a better bartender than coach. He can turn out to be the best coach ever but...don't sell me on some BS that he was qualified for this gig.

I also love the bullchit hyperbole about Bama. Who said anything about Bama? With that said, maybe we could compete with Pitt for Partidge or NCST for KP. Why not bring guys who are actually good recruiters and coaches instead of Patke?

Back to Patke, I think it is really telling how nobody besides us wanted him when he was a lonely assistant. You can defend his hiring all you want but it reeks of a bad move.

Dude, I got your MO. It is mostly negative, but you do make things interesting. As always, you and I can disagree. But in the end you cannot say that Patke isn't qualified to be promote as the "outside linebacker" coach. Could we have hired more experienced guys? Absolutely. But Richt and Diaz knew who they wanted. Quite candidly neither you nor I have any clue if he will be successful, but he has 4 years of experience with Diaz's system. Neither you nor I have any clue whether Patke had any interest other than being at Miami with Diaz. Wasn't crazy about the hire, but I understand why in the bigger scheme of things.

As for Jon Richt, he is pulling his weight in recruiting and he is doing the grunt work. My sense he is very, very close with his father and probably wants to stay at Miami since he has a young family. Again, with the younger Richt, it is about results and he is getting them on the recruiting scene. I have no issue whatsoever with the younger Richt. Now if he ever becomes OC then yes I'd have a huge problem.

Partridge nor Patrick it appears were available. Neither Rocker nor Grimes were probably going to leave the SEC. I'm intrigue by this hire. There is some risk here obviously, but there is also a lot of upside.

I know the phrase "chess not checkers" gets thrown around on this board way to much. However, this move epitomizes the phrase in every facet. The state of Georgia produces elite DT's, and over elite defensive talent year in and year out, and we just hired someone that is worshipped in that state. He has NFL ties, and clearly has an elite defensive mind considering Quinn brought him to the NFL straight out of high school (let that **** sink in for a second).

I am willing to bet anything that Kirby Dirty Shart is shytting bricks right now over at UGA.
also add in that by gaining a solid foothold in georgia it should serve as a counter balance to the moves many of these teams are making to grab a foothold in the south florida recruiting hotbed.

Advertisement
If this dude has recruiting juice, then it's a homerun hire. Rick wanted to return UGA's favor of raiding S. FL for recruits. Simpson is a legend in GA HS football. If he can parlay that status into landing some bigtime GA recruits, then this is a big hire for us.

I'm not one who believes that position coaches have any magic pixie dust. Get great players, and they look like great position coaches. Dan Quinn thought this guy was a star and had his eye on him for years. Quinn knows defensive football.
agree with this point and just typed it in another thread. great counter to the carpet-baggers coming down here.

Some of us keep moving the goalposts on what we wanted as a replacement for Kewl.

What ended up being the main critique on Kewl here and what was going to be his most difficult positive attribute to replace?

His **** recruiting abilities in conjunction with his superior actual coaching abilities.

So we go get Pimpson. A guy that basically was promoted from high school straight to the NFL by one of the more respected defensive minds on any level of football in Dan Quinn. That at minimum should alleviate any concerns you have about Pimpson's abilities on the practice field and in the film room.

Recruiting? So what bar are we looking to clear there for it not to be an obvious upgrade over Kewl? Pimpson is seemingly a legend in the great state of Jorg-ja so in my eyes it's an instant improvement if we maintain the level of DL kids we were getting locally under a buffoon in Alfredo and a guy with no local juice or passion in Kewl and we start to grab ANYTHING of quality from Curby's backyard.

Based on the limitations in the timing of the candidate search and seemingly who was available, I'm giving this hire an early 8 out 10 martini rating on the Tad Footeball scale.

Yep. Thanks for this.

And before anyone has a freak-out over simpson's supposed lack of experience, remember Schnellenberger in 1983 beat Nebraska and won the NC with a coaching staff that included:

Three guys whose only college coaching jobs were at UM working for Howard, (Archer, Stevens, and Trestman)

A guy who started his coaching career on that staff 2 years prior as a "volunteer" (Trestman)

Another guy who wasn't even a college coach until 3 years prior (Stevens), and

Two guys who were just high school coaches until they joined that UM staff (Vagotis and Brodsky).

Mike Rumph would have been the elder statesman among that group.

Point is, this is CMR's guy, and I'm not going to be so quick to judge what this looks like on the surface. My take is, CMR was picking from a really big litter. A LOT of resumes hit his inbox over the past week, and this is the guy he wanted. Based on that, it's more likely than not, the dude can get it done.

Advertisement
Falcons fans have been very happy with the DL improvement the last year. so that sounds like a good sign.
And the fact he was a hs Coach for so long, and id assume put a bunch of top kid to p5 school would lead me to think he's not gunna be a trash recruiter.

this is a hire that doesn't seem that great, but I think could actually be really good. Plus he'll likely stick around for the long haul, which is good.

Very good hire. Seven state championships in the state of Georgia is impressive to the point of being ridiculous. Easily qualified to be a position coach at this level. If he has the juice some here believe with HS coaches in Ga, then this could turn into homerun hire.

Dude, I got your MO. It is mostly negative, but you do make things interesting. As always, you and I can disagree. But in the end you cannot say that Patke isn't qualified to be promote as the "outside linebacker" coach. Could we have hired more experienced guys? Absolutely. But Richt and Diaz knew who they wanted. Quite candidly neither you nor I have any clue if he will be successful, but he has 4 years of experience with Diaz's system. Neither you nor I have any clue whether Patke had any interest other than being at Miami with Diaz. Wasn't crazy about the hire, but I understand why in the bigger scheme of things.

As for Jon Richt, he is pulling his weight in recruiting and he is doing the grunt work. My sense he is very, very close with his father and probably wants to stay at Miami since he has a young family. Again, with the younger Richt, it is about results and he is getting them on the recruiting scene. I have no issue whatsoever with the younger Richt. Now if he ever becomes OC then yes I'd have a huge problem.

Partridge nor Patrick it appears were available. Neither Rocker nor Grimes were probably going to leave the SEC. I'm intrigue by this hire. There is some risk here obviously, but there is also a lot of upside.

My MO? Seriously? I give my opinion, if you don't agree...cool.

I did say he is unqualified for the gig because he is unqualified for the gig. Go let him coach somewhere else and actually produce something and then consider him. Why do we have to give him his first real coaching gig? Is being a GA at MSU a real qualification?

I assure you if we left him as a bullchit assistant, no real program was going to come calling and take him. It is just logic. It is common sense.

I am also glad you backed off on Jon Richt being some qualified coach. He isn't. He has name and that helps. He should be busting his as$ because but for his father he isn't employed as a coach here.

My problem with guys like Jon Richt and Patke is we actually need real help at certain positions. We definitely needed help on offense and STs but instead we have these two. Who is going to help MR call plays and diagnose what is going on out there because none of our current coaches have that ability. Now we're going into year 3 and not one change there (on offense).

I am not talking about Jess Simpson, I was talking about Patke. I assure you if we wanted Partridge and made him a serious contender, we could have him over Patke. I know beating Pitt for a coach is really difficult especially one with ties to South Florida.

Advertisement
Back