SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

i dont know how to feel. this guy was clearly good enough for the falcons. I think Rumph has showed a hs coach can develop talent. Im not sure what kind of recruiter he will be but im sure he will be better than Kool. Butch had success finding coaches even at HS level, i think Richt has been around long enough to find guys who can coach. hopefully it works out

Advertisement
Yeah. These dudes are complaining about him, but he’ll probably wind up being one of those fast risers who is a DC somewhere in a couple years.
And then you’ll hear about how dumb CMR is for letting him get away from right under his nose...

Advertisement
You mark my words, when da Coach Kul leave Bama, Saben gonna come try to poach Simpson from Miami. Simpson gonna Bgood.

If this dude has recruiting juice, then it's a homerun hire. Rick wanted to return UGA's favor of raiding S. FL for recruits. Simpson is a legend in GA HS football. If he can parlay that status into landing some bigtime GA recruits, then this is a big hire for us.

I'm not one who believes that position coaches have any magic pixie dust. Get great players, and they look like great position coaches. Dan Quinn thought this guy was a star and had his eye on him for years. Quinn knows defensive football.

Agree with this. Franchise, how do you know that Quinn "had his eye on him for years"?

You mark my words, when da Coach Kul leave Bama, Saben gonna come try to poach Simpson from Miami. Simpson gonna Bgood.
The good thing about simpson, with his previous nfl stint and success here, puts him above college gigs that could potentially hurt us.

Okay so I actually looked. and this dude was not the ******* Falcons DL coach. The Falcons DL coach is Bryant Young.

He was a defensive assistant, not the actual DL coach. Pretty big difference.

I still don't think this is a bad hire, but this isn't as good as everyone made it seem like Dan Quinn picked him to coach his DL. Thats not what happened.

Advertisement
Explain Patke.
He didn't need references CMR New him already,
That being said when your ahead coach there are things you look for first that don't really involve football like trust ,and does he mean with the rest of the staff,

Okay so I actually looked. and this dude was not the ******* Falcons DL coach. The Falcons DL coach is Bryant Young.

I still don't think this is a bad hire, but this isn't as good as everyone made it seem like Dan Quinn picked him to coach his DL. Thats not what happened.

He was an assistant with a focus on the DL

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/jess-simpson-blending-with-falcons/UgOpk1RQw3RBNmyyFpqH5I/

Assistant DL coach. You think an actual NFL DL coach is going to step down to a college gig? Nobody said he was THE DL coach, but he did coach the DL. More than one guy coaches the DL on an NFL team. Or at least on the Falcons anyway.

Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.
I like the hire. We need a guy who knows how to relate to HS kids, has recruiting connections in GA and can coach with fire. His HS career speaks for itself, he played college ball and he coached for a very good DC/HC in Dan Quinn.

Advertisement
I'm not one of these people that overrates technicians at the position level (other than QB). Obviously there are different levels of teachers, but at the end of the day, there are only so many techniques and tricks that can be taught. Some communicate better, some motivate better, etc., but position technique is not rocket science no matter how much some people want it to be when pumping up certain coaches.

My concern is this - there is no one in that defensive room anymore who has the resume to stand up and tell Manny when he's full of ****. Manny does a lot well, and in general I like him here... Miami athletes need an aggressive **** calling a defense. However, there are some real elephants in the room with our defensive performance under Diaz and I fear that Kul being replaced with a virtual CFB rookie means he's now totally surrounded by guys who don't have a lot of clout to tell the guy "hey, maybe we should try to do something different on 3rd downs, bud".

The guy needs to be a great recruiter. The GA ties need to pay off immediately. It can't be a Rumph "well he got us in the conversation" kind of thing if he's going to come here with such a thin resume at this level. We have a lot of inefficiencies on this staff, and especially on the defensive side of the ball. These guys gonna have to grow up in a hurry or it's hard to see us taking the next step forward. They're behind the 8ball immediately because of Kul's recruiting failures. I hope he comes in and crushes it. I'd love nothing more than for Kul to be replaced by someone who gets better performance out of his guys.

I get what what you are saying, but this is a grown @#$ man who was a head coach for 2 decades. I don;t care that it was HS. A guys who was that successful and coached (or whatever you want to call it) in the NFL is not lacking in ego and confidence. I'm sure he will have no problem speaking his mind to Manny. I don't think for one second that he is going to be intimidated by Manny or hold his opinion because he is new to CFB. Just my opinion.

Assistant DL coach. You think an actual NFL DL coach is going to step down to a college gig? Nobody said he was THE DL coach,but he did coach the DL. More than one guy coaches the DL on an NFL team.
you think because a guy is coaching dL in the nfl its impossible for him to go back to college.
Yeah people were making it out to seem he was THE DL coach and that Dan Quinn hand selected him.

Yeah and more than one player coaches dl in college too, thats what we have grad assistants for. whats your point? Doesn't make the ASSISTANT a definite quality hire.

you think because a guy is coaching dL in the nfl its impossible for him to go back to college.
Yeah people were making it out to seem he was THE DL coach and that Dan Quinn hand selected him.

Yeah and more than one player coaches dl in college too, thats what we have grad assistants for. whats your point? Doesn't make the ASSISTANT a definite quality hire.

He was coaching the DL and Dan Quinn did hand select him.

What’s your next bltch bullet point?

Advertisement
He didn't need references CMR New him already,
That being said when your ahead coach there are things you look for first that don't really involve football like trust ,and does he mean with the rest of the staff,

I didn't know he "new" him.

List the NFL coaches that moved down to college to coach the same position

When it comes down to feed the fam are any higher profile recruits going to respect his resume? Then again Kul couldn’t recruit for **** so I guess it’s a wash.

Advertisement
Back