SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Wisconsin was in the top 5 in time of possession and total defense and I think yards per play as well. And like 10 of their starters on defense were seniors. Tell me we lost to them with a full squad and no injuries especially the qb and the coaching thing would be more of an issue. We didn’t lose to a bad team.

What injuries did we have on defense? Their QB sucked watch the Ohio State game for reference. On offense yes there were injuries but with the right QB O will be fine. They better be because they will have to outscore people to win games.

Advertisement
The corner runs with the receiver the entire play.

I'm far from an expert, nor do I know what they teach at UGA. It sure looks like straight Cover 2. If you look at it from another angle you will see Bama had trips right with a single WR to the left. The Right Corner is actually positioned outside the WR with 6 yards cushion. Due to the timing of the game and it makes sense to back up a little on the lone WR side.

With the snap, the CB squares up and focuses on the WR. Seems to me like he tries to mirror the WR. He actually keeps outside leverage, which is absolutely crucial in C2. Never get beat outside, since the Safety will never cover this much ground (Unless your name is Ed Reed or Sean Taylor). He doesn't get a hand on the WR which is the biggest reason why he is this wide open. I disagree that he should've had the flat. Basic concepts of Cover 2 assign the flat to the CB, but if you look at higher level football you'll see the CB "sinking" with a WR if he's running a go route. The motto here is rather give up the flat, than the deep ball (especially with how fast these guys are planting and getting back to the flat). All it takes is for the safety to be looked off and you have an easy pitch and catch (like in this game).

The combination of not getting a hand on the WR and the safety hesitating and cheating to the middle of the field results in this easy TD... at least as far as I can tell lol

I'm far from an expert, nor do I know what they teach at UGA. It sure looks like straight Cover 2. If you look at it from another angle you will see Bama had trips right with a single WR to the left. The Right Corner is actually positioned outside the WR with 6 yards cushion. Due to the timing of the game and it makes sense to back up a little on the lone WR side.

With the snap, the CB squares up and focuses on the WR. Seems to me like he tries to mirror the WR. He actually keeps outside leverage, which is absolutely crucial in C2. Never get beat outside, since the Safety will never cover this much ground (Unless your name is Ed Reed or Sean Taylor). He doesn't get a hand on the WR which is the biggest reason why he is this wide open. I disagree that he should've had the flat. Basic concepts of Cover 2 assign the flat to the CB, but if you look at higher level football you'll see the CB "sinking" with a WR if he's running a go route. The motto here is rather give up the flat, than the deep ball (especially with how fast these guys are planting and getting back to the flat). All it takes is for the safety to be looked off and you have an easy pitch and catch (like in this game).

The combination of not getting a hand on the WR and the safety hesitating and cheating to the middle of the field results in this easy TD... at least as far as I can tell lol

Don’t disagree with a word you said on this at all. Just jabbing at some people on their fascinations on being the resident X’s and O’s Scheme expert. This is a coverage bust by both DBs AND the right play call. Saban isn’t going to sit up there and say well u know we took a huge sack the play before so we called all go’s and hoped for the best. The guys has a giant ego to protect. To me this is the corner and safety not being on the same page at all. It almost looked like the corner expected a bracket there and the safety to not get as much depth as he did which in my feeble mind I don’t think he needed to. It wasn’t like the potential for a 70 yard bomb, they were guarding 35-40 yards on the field? The safety is still backpedaling while the ball is in the air. Both of the things about coverage bust and scheme r not mutually exlcusive of each other this play.

Advertisement
I know some of you guys like to pretend stars don't matter, but Wisconsin has like 3 four stars on the team. We were the more talented team and we were proving it by our 10 point lead in the first half. Not sticking with DJ Dallas after he brought us back from a bad start was a mistake by Richt. Not calling timeout the second QT when our defense was gassed was a mistake by Diaz. That Wisconsin game was probably the worst coached game I've ever seen (not considering al gondens time here or Shannon for that matter )

Never brought up stars in my reply post. Having elite talent matters obviously but Wisconsin was power rated higher than UM going into that game (Fact). Having a 10 point lead in the first half does NOT prove that UM was the better team. Over the course of the game, Wisconsin was the better team that night. Miami isn't closing that big of an underdog because Wisconsin has some elite coaching staff and we don't. Miami closed that big of an underdog because Wisconsin was a better team overall. The truth hurts sometimes.

Last edited:
Outscheming is a cliche buzzword that don't mean nothing except to lonely old men at sports bars who know nothing but act like they know everything. College football isn't about scheming. Pro football is all about matchups and tendencies, but college ball is a completely different animal. You can't scheme for shi* with 20 hours of practice per week by 20 year old college students.

College ball is all about talent, mental fortitude, effort, conditioning, and luck. If you have 22 strong and athletic kids that give you 100% effort, that don't quit mentally, that are conditioned to play 4 quarters of ball, you are going to win titles with average coaching and a little bit of luck with officiating, injuries, etc.

We won 11 games with the coaching staff you despise. We didn't lose to Pitt, Clemson, or Wisc because we were outschemed. We lost to Pitt because we weren't mentally ready to compete and we were tired. We lsot to Clemson and Wisc because we lost our best playmakers at TE and WR and were playing with like 68 guys on schollie against elite top 5 teams.

Ray Lewis is that you?

Don’t disagree with a word you said on this at all. Just jabbing at some people on their fascinations on being the resident X’s and O’s Scheme expert. This is a coverage bust by both DBs AND the right play call. Saban isn’t going to sit up there and say well u know we took a huge sack the play before so we called all go’s and hoped for the best. The guys has a giant ego to protect. To me this is the corner and safety not being on the same page at all. It almost looked like the corner expected a bracket there and the safety to not get as much depth as he did which in my feeble mind I don’t think he needed to. It wasn’t like the potential for a 70 yard bomb, they were guarding 35-40 yards on the field? The safety is still backpedaling while the ball is in the air. Both of the things about coverage bust and scheme r not mutually exlcusive of each other this play.

100% Agreed! This is a coverage bust. If played correctly this defense call wouldn't be too bad. I don't even really see the threat for the safety over the middle as he seems to be late to come over and reacting like you said. These plays happen all the time, just not all of them are losing you the NC

What injuries did we have on defense? Their QB sucked watch the Ohio State game for reference. On offense yes there were injuries but with the right QB O will be fine. They better be because they will have to outscore people to win games.

Offensive injuries limited our scoring and the entire season we were 3 and out way to much. Keeping our d way too long on the field and it showed in a lot of games especially that one. Mentally it looked as if our d checked out towards the end of the season. Physically they were gassed. I agree with what your saying though. I think this season has the potential to be an offensive improvement by quite a bit.

Advertisement
tell me this macho, and i'm not saying this with attitude or mocking you I genuinely want your opinion on this

how did diaz get to the level he's at when you can see the mistakes being made but he can't?

I'm not just asking about diaz either, what about the other coaches too who else on the team have you seen get out schemed/coached/game planned?

I'm sure he can see his own mistakes too. He usually does a good job of adjusting.

But from what I've learned after seeing countless college coaches clinic...they're married to their ways. Many of them will live and die by what they believe in. Big time college coaches aren't all as brilliant as people think they are. Most of the great stuff I've learned/seen/read was from smaller school coaches. I've been to 2 clinics this month alone and I'm going to another one this weekend. I've seen Dabo, Derek Mason, Narduzzi, Fuente and Mullen this month and the most impressive coaches I heard/seen were from U-Mass, Rice and a DB coach from the Bucs. (oh and the TX/GA high school coaches are great as well)

They to where they are by knowing the right people. By working for/with the right coaches.
And everybody has different beliefs in what works. Most coaches stick to those beliefs.

Jab these nuts.

Advertisement
I thought I remembered the CB being "harder" in the flats on that play though, I didn't realize he sunk that far.

That's all fine and dandy...AND YOU HAVE A POINT...but the truth is...very few teachers make that kind of difference. They're just pushing kids through. In all my years on earth I can think of like 1 maybe 2 teachers that made any impact on my life.

Regardless, they don't work as hard and/or generate as much money as coaches do. It's not a slanted view, it's the truth.
These coaches we're talking about are also teachers. You realize that, right?
I'm friends with tons of teachers. This isn't me guessing.
Any coach would tell you that his football job is harder than his teaching job.

See we are mixing measuring sticks. When you speak of making a difference you are measuring effectiveness as a posed to importance. Yeap, education today abolutely sucks. Football on the other hand is doing great. The why of each situation can be debated. I was speaking of the importance in a macro way. Education is of upmost importance but failing miserably. Football is important to a micro portion of the whole but doing great. Higher pay will not fix education but that does not mean coaches are worth more money. Don’t misunderstand me coach. I would like to dismantle the entire education system from top to bottom and want my football left alone, but that is because one has failed and the other is working.

Wonder what’s taking so long to formally announce

Guys probably been reading CIS and is probably wondering why in the world would he want to leave a comfy NFL job to come get mixed up with a fan base that is calling him a sh*tty hire.a mistake,etc. before he even steps foot on campus.

Advertisement
Outscheming is a cliche buzzword that don't mean nothing except to lonely old men at sports bars who know nothing but act like they know everything. College football isn't about scheming. Pro football is all about matchups and tendencies, but college ball is a completely different animal. You can't scheme for shi* with 20 hours of practice per week by 20 year old college students.

College ball is all about talent, mental fortitude, effort, conditioning, and luck. If you have 22 strong and athletic kids that give you 100% effort, that don't quit mentally, that are conditioned to play 4 quarters of ball, you are going to win titles with average coaching and a little bit of luck with officiating, injuries, etc.

We won 11 games with the coaching staff you despise. We didn't lose to Pitt, Clemson, or Wisc because we were outschemed. We lost to Pitt because we weren't mentally ready to compete and we were tired. We lsot to Clemson and Wisc because we lost our best playmakers at TE and WR and were playing with like 68 guys on schollie against elite top 5 teams.
Not ****ed up at all.

Coaches work a lot harder than teachers and often have better rapports with the kids.

Teachers go home at 3pm.
Coaches are on campus from 7am to 7pm+. Friday nights we're on campus from 7am to 11pm+. Saturdays we're back on campus at 8am. Then we neglect our families all weekend while trying to prep for next week's opponent.
The byproduct of all this hard work is winning. Winning = more money for the school.

Teachers get slightly less than what they deserve.
my wife was a teacher. She may have left sc
Wisconsin is a different kind of program. They’ve had continuity and the ability to build depth and experience. I’d bet 80-90% of their roster redshirts.

They field a team of strong, developed and experienced players. We’re still burning redshirts and playing guys who may not be even be ready physically for the next level.

Stars matter but so does having the luxury of having a redshirt junior matched up against a true freshman or sophomore.
u look familiar. Do I know u from somewhere?

I'm sure he can see his own mistakes too. He usually does a good job of adjusting.

But from what I've learned after seeing countless college coaches clinic...they're married to their ways. Many of them will live and die by what they believe in. Big time college coaches aren't all as brilliant as people think they are. Most of the great stuff I've learned/seen/read was from smaller school coaches. I've been to 2 clinics this month alone and I'm going to another one this weekend. I've seen Dabo, Derek Mason, Narduzzi, Fuente and Mullen this month and the most impressive coaches I heard/seen were from U-Mass, Rice and a DB coach from the Bucs. (oh and the TX/GA high school coaches are great as well)

They to where they are by knowing the right people. By working for/with the right coaches.
And everybody has different beliefs in what works. Most coaches stick to those beliefs.

Ah, UMass. Did you make a Whipple sighting by chance?

Advertisement
Back