SIAP JESS SIMPSON EXPECTED TO BE MIAMI'S NEW DL COACH

Not even a wash. At the very least we were able to say Kool put guys in the league (which helps recruiting). This dude won't be able to say that for a few years at least.
If you can sell (and that’s what recruiting is) you don’t need the “I put 7 guys in the nfl” rap to be successful. How many guys did Hartley put in the NFL when he became a vicious murderer recruiting?

Advertisement
Have lived in GA all my life and have been Canes fan during that same span. Never posted until now but I felt now would be a good time as the topic is relevant to my area.
I do not think it is confirmed yet but I certainly hope the news on Jess Simpson is true. This man might be the best kept secret in college football. Dan Quinn (Falcons) hired him from High School for a reason. Jess has some ridiculous number of state championships in GA and still holds the record of consecutive wins in GA. More importantly, the guy flat out knows how to coach linemen. We have a lot of great coaches but this might be the best hire other than Mark Richt himself.
I really hope this is confirmed.
Thank you for your insight. Just from reading about him, I think he can really coach kids to reach their potential and his recruiting ties to GA. should pay huge dividends for the program.

This guy was coaching d linemen in the NFL and guys on here are worried whether he can coach the position???? I don't care if he was "just" the asst d line coach. Quinn wouldn't have hired him if he wasn't technically proficient and a capable teacher. If you want to worry about that, worry that he's jumped jobs twice in a couple of years, but losing good position coaches is just a part of the game. Oh, and add the fact that he's already been an Asst Head Coach at the college level as another positive.

For reasons already stated, this a great hire. All the fans actively and subletly bashing the hire will be jocking him like they do Hartley now )another hire I liked from jump) soon enough.

Advertisement
SIAP

From an article soon after ATL hired him:

So far, both Quinn and Manuel have been very pleased with the adjustments Simpson has made to his new job.
Quinn isn’t surprised at all, considering he and Young have known Simpson longer than anyone else on the Falcons’ staff. The head coach remembers the positive first impression Simpson made on them when they first met eight years ago while attending a summer camp at the University of Florida during Quinn’s tenure as defensive line coach with the Seattle Seahawks.
The qualities he saw in Simpson, along with other observations he made while recruiting some of his former players at Buford while defensive coordinator at Florida, are what Quinn says has made Simpson a very quick study and a natural for his current job.
“Learning to evaluate from the college players that are here, so he went through pro free agents and college free agents,” Quinn said. “That’s an important thing to go through. It’s like his first cycle of players. From a pro side, from a college side and then now, getting on the field to work with these guys. Each time he goes through that cycle, it adds to his experience.

“NFL players, they want to see, ‘Can this coach help me?’ You can clearly see the type of teacher he is, the way he communicates, the way he can articulate it, the way he can teach it. He is a teacher at heart.”

Why do you think we saved that much on this hire? I'm guessing he was making in the neighborhood of $250K with Atlanta and that would be on the low end. I believe Kul was making in the neighborhood of $500K.

I have no idea if we saved. But, if we did I hope it is reinvested back into the program

Not underwhelming at all. Maybe more risky than Kul with a college track record decades long but I have a feeling he'll do very well. And he'll probably recruit better than Kul.

My 85 year old Parkinson's ridden grandmother can recruit better than Kul... I'm liking this hire more and more as I think about it.

Advertisement
Yeah. These dudes are complaining about him, but he’ll probably wind up being one of those fast risers who is a DC somewhere in a couple years.

Exactly. I'd love to bring back the early posts of what people thought of Hartley. Now everyone is on his nuts. I seriously dont know how some of you function in life without having reason, logic and some form of a level head.

This is a good hire folks. Out of the box yes. Not great (yet) but certainly not "MEH". Some of you live in a fantasy sports, Madden video game era where you just fill your roster up with the best players from every team.

Back to Simpson. This guy has a MUCH bigger upside and ceiling than he has a floor. I wont say impossible, but this guy will not be a bust. This is a winner flat out and winners like this find a way..they dont fail. His ceiling is extremely high. Dan Quinn is one of the top 5 defensive football minds in the world. A man with 15 or whatever High School championships didnt sit around for 2 years without absorbing every little nugget that he could. On the recruiting trails, I believe he will be solid. This guy is a LEGEND in the GA high school community. When he walks into Georgia homes and sits down with kids/moms/pops, his background will carry weight. Im sure after how many years coaching, he will relate well to young high school athletes. His recruiting will be better than Kul's...again...with potential for great.

Good hire...potential for great, with little potential for being a bust.

You have summarized a lot of my posts and criticisms of Manny and our Def staff as a whole. On its own, I think Simpson is an above average hire. Combined with Banda, Rumph and Patke, I’m not that crazy about our Def staff. I’ve got mixed feelings on Manny.

When most other top 10 teams are “stacking talent” on the coaching side, especially with the 10th coach, it’s hard to argue Richt is actively pushing to hire the best coaches for the team.

But, I hope they prove me wrong and Simpson and Patke crush it

Or he is putting together a young, aggressive staff willing to work together and to work long hours. Plenty of very good technicians at the college level. I'm more concerned about Manny's propensity to over-scheme and over-commit. For me this is a make or break year with Manny.

For reasons already stated, this a great hire. All the fans actively and subletly bashing the hire will be jocking him like they do Hartley now )another hire I liked from jump) soon enough.
In what way did I subtly bash him? I said I was witholding judgement, in fact I said I won't crown or bash him before he's actually done anything, what's wrong with that?

Advertisement
I am familiar with this guy. He can flat out coach, is high energy, and Canedog expects him to make Kul look like dog **** as a recruiter. A friend of mine, probably the best high school coach here in Georgia since Simpson moved up, thinks Simpson is a great coach and is not surprised how he has moved up da coaching ranks.

Star fawkers and resume geeks ain't gonna appreciate da hire for what it is, but Canedog do.

Richt hired Kul. A guy he had no previous experience with because he knew the importance of the Dline. Im sure Richt knows how to vet and interview the proper candidate whether it be a grey beard or a young up and comer.

I like that Richt is infusing his staff with young hungry men who can provide new insight and ideas.

Innovation is key when you're being studied and copied every year.

The rams clearly knew this when they hired McVay and all of his young staff are now getting jobs.

All of the coaches/ front offices are transitioning to new blood in the coaching ranks and I love it.

Kudos to Richt, imo.

Advertisement
People always refuse to listen to reason and logic but prefer to form an an opinion with about 3 seconds worth of reading, set their hair on fire, and start running around planting their hot take flags about shltty hires.

Read the posts from the rational posters that have taken the time to look into this guy and delineated his attributes.

You know who else took his time and carefully considered all aspects of this candidate’s attributes while researching and considering other available candidates: Mark Richt.

After carefully considering his coaching ability on the defensive line, his potential for landing defensive line recruits in the southeast, the trust placed in him by being hand picked to coach the DLine by Dan Quinn, his ability to mesh with the current staff and players, Rick made his choice.

Rick’s team, Rick’s coaches, Rick’s choice. Good enough for me.
People are always going to find something to complain about ... They want a good recruiter because kul couldn't get it done .. This guy seems to be the part with deep georiga roots but eh same fans that wouldn't be happy if we won a nc

Advertisement
Back