Sherriffs can transfer to Duke, UVA, UNC and play immediately

Advertisement
He’s not even backup quality for an ACC team. If I was Duke/UNc/UVA I wouldn’t want to take him and have him take reps away from a young guy at practice.

He’s better off going to a FCS school where he can play.

Advertisement
@apfenny3 has the best knowledge of this. Also, you need to realize that these schools most likely scout every single one of our games in the offseason (since we are in their division). They know tendencies and our situational calls. They might not know signals/calls, but as mentioned above by Austin these are changed on a regular basis anyway.

Not sure either one of these schools will take on someone just to get one year old inside info

To alleviate some concerns: we don’t receive physical playbooks, every player has an iPad that must be turned in after the season. Coaches constantly change signs and play names from year to year. It’s extremely difficult to recall a playbook 6-9 months later while also learning a new playbook. This is a minor to non issue that’s getting blown out of proportion

Then you think the coaches, who I would think would be hyper aware of what he can or can’t divulge, are restricting him for other reasons? It just seemed to me his familiarity with our offensive tendencies was the most likely reason.

Then you think the coaches, who I would think would be hyper aware of what he can or can’t divulge, are restricting him for other reasons? It just seemed to me his familiarity with our offensive tendencies was the most likely reason.

I’m not sure if the restriction came from Coach Richt or departmental policy from Blake James so any comment would be purely speculation.

@apfenny3 has the best knowledge of this. Also, you need to realize that these schools most likely scout every single one of our games in the offseason (since we are in their division). They know tendencies and our situational calls. They might not know signals/calls, but as mentioned above by Austin these are changed on a regular basis anyway.

Not sure either one of these schools will take on someone just to get one year old inside info

@apfenny3 knows Evan Sherrifs personally. They're probably friends. I would want my friend to have his choice of universities too.

I don't think letting Sherriffs transfer to UNC helps Miami's football team. I think apfenny is understating how much Sherriffs is going to remember of the playbook.

Richt blocked the transfer in the first place for a reason.

Advertisement
@apfenny3 knows Evan Sherrifs personally. They're probably friends. I would want my friend to have his choice of universities too.

I don't think letting Sherriffs transfer to UNC helps Miami's football team. I think apfenny is understating how much Sherriffs is going to remember of the playbook.

Richt blocked the transfer in the first place for a reason.

Yes I’m friends with Evan, but I don’t think him knowing an offense now will help much that far into the future. They get copies of all of our games to scout, so they already see the offense. And signals and terminology is frequently changed. Also I don’t believe in transfer restrictions at all, not just Evan’s situation, since all other NCAA sports besides basketball can get a 1 time free transfer. And unless there was an article that I missed, we don’t even know if it was coach Richt blocking the transfer.

I don’t think he’s going to be able to recall much to make a difference come gametime vs us 9-10 months after his last UM game, when he’s had to learn an entirely new offense

He wont need to remember 9-10 months from now. The second he transfers he could meet with the coaches and supply as much info as possible. You obviously know much more about this then I do, but I just wanted to point that out. Also teams have coaches, OCs, and DCs change all the time and somehow manage to handle it. I agree that its not as big a deal as people make it seem.

I dont want to sound snarky here. It seems like this is much about nothing yet again. How many of you played football growing up? In high school? In college? Professionally? I missed out on professionally . . .
One, you know you are good when your opponent knows what play you are running, and you still are effective!
Two, multiple plays are run out of the same formations.
Three, if we are running the RPO, the QB will be the one deciding which play to run in a sense . . .
Four, if ES is super bright, and is cut out of the coaching cloth . . . then his knowledge of our program will have some marginal benefit to whatever school he transfers to.
Four dash 2! His new staff will be putting a ton of faith into him to count on him the way you all are making it seem. I do not see many coaches doing that.
Five, we still have to run the plays . . .

Advertisement
He won a partial appeal with the school administration since those 3 universities are ranked in the top 25 MBA programs

Which he realistically has no chance of getting into; since he doesn't have the bare-minimum of two years work experience that Top 25 MBA programs usually require.

Additionally, top fulltime MBAs have a strict cohort system and class schedule which are not designed to made to work around practice.

Finally, in most programs it is Round 3 for applicants and only a few outstanding candidates are selected during that round:

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/daytime-mba/admissions-facts-dates

No offense, but if he is let into a Top MBA program at this point (just because he is a football player), the admitting program will lose a lot of hard won prestige.

Advertisement
Which he realistically has no chance of getting into; since he doesn't have the bare-minimum of two years work experience that Top 25 MBA programs usually require.

Additionally, top fulltime MBAs have a strict cohort system and class schedule which are not designed to made to work around practice.

Finally, in most programs it is Round 3 for applicants and only a few outstanding candidates are selected during that round:

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/daytime-mba/admissions-facts-dates

No offense, but if he is let into a Top MBA program at this point (just because he is a football player), the admitting program will lose a lot of hard won prestige.

I really don't think he'll have a problem. Player play 5th years all the time while earning masters including MBAs without meeting the normal requirements. The football coaches pull enormous weight in the admissions process. The programs with the cohort schedule will be a problem but any that don't run on that he'll be fine.

I’m not sure if the restriction came from Coach Richt or departmental policy from Blake James so any comment would be purely speculation.

It's our policy according to Blake James, no press on Richt's feelings.

It's a good policy, too. We don't want frustrated juniors/seniors to transfer to a team where they can play immediately and help beat us on the field.
I suspect that's the primary motivation here, not concerns over our playbook being stolen.

I dont want to sound snarky here. It seems like this is much about nothing yet again. How many of you played football growing up? In high school? In college? Professionally? I missed out on professionally . . .
One, you know you are good when your opponent knows what play you are running, and you still are effective!
Two, multiple plays are run out of the same formations.
Three, if we are running the RPO, the QB will be the one deciding which play to run in a sense . . .
Four, if ES is super bright, and is cut out of the coaching cloth . . . then his knowledge of our program will have some marginal benefit to whatever school he transfers to.
Four dash 2! His new staff will be putting a ton of faith into him to count on him the way you all are making it seem. I do not see many coaches doing that.
Five, we still have to run the plays . . .

I played football all the way through HS. In HS I played in a top 5 group in the country. I could have played at an FCS or a lower ranked G5 school, but I preferred to go to Miami as a student. I agree its much ado about nothing(OCs, DCs, and head coaches change all the time and they somehow manage). In the pros QBs get traded and they manage, but I disagree with your first comment. Of course beating another team when they know your plays means your great, but I would rather not to give the team any advantage especially when we have a new QB starting.

Advertisement
Back