Shannon UF DC

Some people overrate Shannon as a defensive coordinator as well. He's not D'Onofrio level, but he's not the end all be all either. His success came from those ridiculous early 2000's Canes teams. Hope he crashes and burns as DC over there.

Shannon failed as a Head Coach but he is an outstanding defensive coach.

Advertisement
Florida bout to take a huge step back going from Collins to Shannon

Not according to the Gators and especially the players. They said Collins was way to passive. They like the changes that Randy made since taking over as they were a lot more aggressive.

Such an overrated coach. His Defense was the most predictable D I have ever seen. It was like watching a pro-bowl Defense. It was always 4-3 cover 2 where not a single player ever moved. He would only blitz when the opposing team was inside our 20. The facts speak for themselves, Miami's Defense regressed under him as our talent level went down. The fact it took him till 2017 to get a DC position speaks wonders about him. It'll be his last.
Randy always had to 5 defense even when the talent left.

Such an overrated coach. His Defense was the most predictable D I have ever seen. It was like watching a pro-bowl Defense. It was always 4-3 cover 2 where not a single player ever moved. He would only blitz when the opposing team was inside our 20. The facts speak for themselves, Miami's Defense regressed under him as our talent level went down. The fact it took him till 2017 to get a DC position speaks wonders about him. It'll be his last.

That's not correct.

That's not correct.
all the talent left after the 2003 season. UM still had. Great defenses after that. The Gators bowl game proved that Randy still has a beast. He went in that game with walk on LBs because of injuries and they played lights out. Horse Teeth even spoke about how Randy changed the scheme and it worked so well.

With him as DC he will be a problem for UM

Advertisement
Guy has always been overrated as ****, but I wish him the best.

His inability to adjust is his achilles heel. I would think over the last several years he's taken what he knows and expanded upon that. Should he have done so, he could end up doing quite well.

That man cover 2 is coming. They should be fine if someone else bringing in stud recruits.

That's not correct.
all the talent left after the 2003 season. UM still had. Great defenses after that. The Gators bowl game proved that Randy still has a beast. He went in that game with walk on LBs because of injuries and they played lights out. Horse Teeth even spoke about how Randy changed the scheme and it worked so well.

They. Played. Iowa.

Advertisement

That's not correct.

the talent left after 03? So you're saying we weren't having great recruitung classes in 02 and 03 after back to back title game appearances and so on? Yikes.

That Peach Bowl team that gave up 40 was filled with NFL guys and five stars

2006, we went 7-6. The talent level drop off, but this dude still posted a Top 10 defense, #7 to be exact. Terrible HC, game management sucked, but when it comes to being a DC, he's one of the best. His first game as a DC in 11 years, and he ate Iowa, alive and that was with Backups.

2019 will be interesting if he's still there!

are you talking about the same Iowa who lost to FCS ND St this year?? Lol, yeah he did a whale of a job on them.

Florida bout to take a huge step back going from Collins to Shannon

Lol no

I'm not all that familiar with Shannon as a DC but that mfer can coach up some 3 stars into bad *** linebackers

Vosean Joseph and David Reese gonna be nasty

Seems like he was a pretty great DC for Miami I'm happy to see him get another shot he's been stuck as a position coach since he got fired

That's why he hasn't called a defensive play in 7 years ? He's an average schematic dc.

Diaz constantly stays getting hired as a dc, and actually calls plays too. There's no comparison.
Why hasn't he been a DC in 7 years? His resume is solid has head coaching exp and he's hands down one of the best LB coaches in college football

Advertisement

That's why he hasn't called a defensive play in 7 years ? He's an average schematic dc.

Diaz constantly stays getting hired as a dc, and actually calls plays too. There's no comparison.
Why hasn't he been a DC in 7 years? His resume is solid has head coaching exp and he's hands down one of the best LB coaches in college football
Hmmmm, meanwhile our previous DC gets a job after one year of sitting out. Kind of makes you wonder huh.?.?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hmmmm, meanwhile our previous DC gets a job after one year of sitting out. Kind of makes you wonder huh.?.?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Yea that's pretty crazy and he got a good job in Houston lol their gonna be in for a rude awakening after having Todd Orlando and a defense that balled out on the likes of FSU OU and Louisville

For all the **** some of y'all are giving randy this is where his defenses ranked as DC here

2001 - 6th
2002 - 7th
2003 - 2nd
2004 - 28th
2005 - 4th
2006 - 7th

Do Romeo Davis and Glen Cook have any eligibility left? I'm sure Willie Williams and James Bryant do, but you don't want LBs with any athleticism because they're usually not in the right spot.

Advertisement
I've figured it out. Breaking news here, but I've figured out why some Canes fans are overhyping Radio. It's the same reason the same fans overhype Cristoball - because they're former Canes and assume they can do no wrong.

Take off the blinders fellas. He had elite talent to work with during his time as a DC. He's no D'Onofrio in that he actually knows what he's doing. But man, some of you think he's going to start rolling out defenses similar to Bama's.

because he's not

what's so hard about that for some of you guys?

great coaches don't get resigned to position coaches because they're great

he failed MISERABLY at miami, a place you have to be outright talented to not succeed at

That's not correct.

Still plenty of talent on that 2004 defense, but losing its top 4 linebackers and having Taylor and Wilfork declare for the draft was going to have a drop off. Bad recruiting wouldn't become apparent until the 2007 season but Miami was really missing at linebacker and defensive tackle.

Randy was a good defensive coordinator. He didn't run a very creative scheme because he had talent.

As others had noted he had to do a purgatory job at TCU. I'm sure he learned a lot with Patterson. Then he had to take essentially a lateral job with Arkansas. He'll do fine at Florida. They always pull in defensive talent.

Remind me who our DC was when UNC beat us in 2003? All I remember in that game was UNC's RBs running wild and unmolested through large swaths of green all game long. NO ******* adjustments whatsoever! I think Randy is an above average DC but he failed to make necessary adjustments multiple times during his tenure and definitely benefited from having the best talent on the field during that 2001-2005 run. He has more skill that Corch D but the same level of stubbornness.

Advertisement
Back