Shannon UF DC

Advertisement
Remind me who our DC was when UNC beat us in 2003? All I remember in that game was UNC's RBs running wild and unmolested through large swaths of green all game long. NO ****ing adjustments whatsoever! I think Randy is an above average DC but he failed to make necessary adjustments multiple times during his tenure and definitely benefited from having the best talent on the field during that 2001-2005 run. He has more skill that Corch D but the same level of stubbornness.

Remind us the DC was when krenzel ran it up the middle all night long in the natty championship game

stunningly difficult play to game plan for

2006, we went 7-6. The talent level drop off, but this dude still posted a Top 10 defense, #7 to be exact. Terrible HC, game management sucked, but when it comes to being a DC, he's one of the best. His first game as a DC in 11 years, and he ate Iowa, alive and that was with Backups.

2019 will be interesting if he's still there!

are you talking about the same Iowa who lost to FCS ND St this year?? Lol, yeah he did a whale of a job on them.

But they beat Michigan towards the end of the season.

I see the "wish him good luck" and "get yours, young man" crew is out in full force.

Here's what I say: fūck you, Randy Shannon, go suck a gator dyk and then kill yourself.

Nobody put a gun to his head and made him go be a ****. In any event, he's a **** now, which makes him a public enemy of Cane nation. If you don't get that, you're just one of those soft shouldered fake pretend fans that's not actually a real fan.

I only wish him failure and misery as a gator. End of story.

Wasn't Randy our DC for the Peach Bowl game against LSU? Another gem. Yet somehow the University thought it was wise to promote him to HC.

Advertisement
2006, we went 7-6. The talent level drop off, but this dude still posted a Top 10 defense, #7 to be exact. Terrible HC, game management sucked, but when it comes to being a DC, he's one of the best. His first game as a DC in 11 years, and he ate Iowa, alive and that was with Backups.

2019 will be interesting if he's still there!

are you talking about the same Iowa who lost to FCS ND St this year?? Lol, yeah he did a whale of a job on them.

But they beat Michigan towards the end of the season.

they scored 13 points....

The fact Shannon admitted in an interview, that he hired Patrick Nix as OC because he gave him fits at GT, should remove any thought this man is a great tactical football coach.

The fact Shannon admitted in an interview, that he hired Patrick Nix as OC because he gave him fits at GT, should remove any thought this man is a great tactical football coach.

Or it just shows that he was just using coach speak. Randy usually manhandled GT's offense during Nix years. I believe the only loss before Paul Johnson became coach was in 07. Calvin Johnson last year. Nix wasn't even our 5th option. RS went after a number of coaches aggressively. Most notabliy Kevin Sumlin and Dirk Koeter. But neither school allowed them to walk. It also showed that RS was a novice as a HC starting off bad.

We'll see. I don't think he'll be any better than their last DC. But this probably means the Heritage kids are all Gator for sure as Chad Wilson will push them all to his boy to succeed. I was hoping USF or a small school would have already offered him for HC.

Wilson to Herbert.

Marco WilsonVerified account
‏@MjW_era
Say no more...I know you gonna make the right decision ���� @KHerb17

Advertisement
We'll see. I don't think he'll be any better than their last DC. But this probably means the Heritage kids are all Gator for sure as Chad Wilson will push them all to his boy to succeed. I was hoping USF or a small school would have already offered him for HC.

Wilson to Herbert.

Marco WilsonVerified account
‏@MjW_era
Say no more...I know you gonna make the right decision ���� @KHerb17

Herbert committing to UF would be as much of a surprise as CJ Henderson committing over there.

don't argue stupidity, randy was a quality DC, and probably will be good for the gators

I see the "wish him good luck" and "get yours, young man" crew is out in full force.

Here's what I say: fūck you, Randy Shannon, go suck a gator dyk and then kill yourself.

Nobody put a gun to his head and made him go be a ****. In any event, he's a **** now, which makes him a public enemy of Cane nation. If you don't get that, you're just one of those soft shouldered fake pretend fans that's not actually a real fan.

I only wish him failure and misery as a gator. End of story.

This

He wasn't a bad DC. Some of you guys keep pointing to a handful of games where he got worked but that happens to literally EVERY coordinator. Even "the best" DC's such as Saban, Patterson, Foster, Narduzzi, etc...have taken a few anal rapings in their day.

I understand he's gotta do what's best for his career but I'll never wish luck to a Gator.

Advertisement

Or it just shows that he was just using coach speak. Randy usually manhandled GT's offense during Nix years. I believe the only loss before Paul Johnson became coach was in 07. Calvin Johnson last year. Nix wasn't even our 5th option. RS went after a number of coaches aggressively. Most notabliy Kevin Sumlin and Dirk Koeter. But neither school allowed them to walk. It also showed that RS was a novice as a HC starting off bad.

that's a valid argument, I just don't believe Shannon was capable of coach speak. Hopefully he has grown as a coach but IDGAF he is coaching for the Gators now. Hopefully he is still stubborn as **** and they lose every game

He wasn't a bad DC. Some of you guys keep pointing to a handful of games where he got worked but that happens to literally EVERY coordinator. Even "the best" DC's such as Saban, Patterson, Foster, Narduzzi, etc...have taken a few anal rapings in their day.

I understand he's gotta do what's best for his career but I'll never wish luck to a Gator.

He's a very good DC but even his record was a bit deceiving.

At first he dominated with Epic talent.

But then after that run he coached against a lot of weak offenses. When he faced a good OC(Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, etc.) he flat got raped. Then he started getting thumped by some worse coaches. The problem is that spread offenses with running Qbs started taking hold and his talent level dropped off and he failed to adjust.

You could see the warning signs early on against OSU in the Fiesta Bowl when they instructed Krenzel to just pull it down on 3rd down when he saw the backs of Miami defenders because they were always in Cover 2 Man under.In 2003 Ed Zaunbrecher/Larry fedora torched the D with the Gator Offense running the first true spread that he sa and probably would have won that game if they hadn't made the retarded decision to switch Qbs to freshman Chris Leak. Then 2004 that upset at North Carolina he got mauled with some spread concept for 545 yards. Not to mention the Louisville games where Petrino scorched him with his power spread.

The fact is that when his talent was less than optimal his predictable style was taken advantage of by good OCs. He relied too much on Cover 2 man under. His D Line wasn't as good at getting to the QB or was slowed by spread formations and his LBs were taken advantage of in man by TEs. He Didn't like to blitz and when he did it was with limited and predictable packages.

The time under Geoff Collins hopefully taught him some new wrinkles because his base, rarely blitzing, cover 2 man under scheme will get exposed consistently going forward.

[video=youtube;4bB1bliVwQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bB1bliVwQE[/video]

Randy Shannon will always be a Miami Hurricane. Guy played here and coached here. He did his best to tell the team the avoid Shapiro. He was all Miami until the administration decided they were done with Shannon. I wish him nothing but the best regardless of where he coaches.
He needs to take care of himself and his family. Shame on any of you guys wishing him professional ills. I don't give a **** who you are, if you were offered a job that paid you more and bettered your overall work experience you would take it. Bunch of fa@@ots in his here talking **** about Randy. His degree will always say University of Miami regardless of how much smack you send his way. Grow the fawk up people.

Advertisement

At first he dominated with Epic talent.

But then after that run he coached against a lot of weak offenses. When he faced a good OC(Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, etc.) he flat got raped. Then he started getting thumped by some worse coaches. The problem is that spread offenses with running Qbs started taking hold and his talent level dropped off and he failed to adjust.

You could see the warning signs early on against OSU in the Fiesta Bowl when they instructed Krenzel to just pull it down on 3rd down when he saw the backs of Miami defenders because they were always in Cover 2 Man under.In 2003 Ed Zaunbrecher/Larry fedora torched the D with the Gator Offense running the first true spread that he sa and probably would have won that game if they hadn't made the retarded decision to switch Qbs to freshman Chris Leak. Then 2004 that upset at North Carolina he got mauled with some spread concept for 545 yards. Not to mention the Louisville games where Petrino scorched him with his power spread.

The fact is that when his talent was less than optimal his predictable style was taken advantage of by good OCs. He relied too much on Cover 2 man under. His D Line wasn't as good at getting to the QB or was slowed by spread formations and his LBs were taken advantage of in man by TEs. He Didn't like to blitz and when he did it was with limited and predictable packages.

The time under Geoff Collins hopefully taught him some new wrinkles because his base, rarely blitzing, cover 2 man under scheme will get exposed consistently going forward.

[video=youtube;4bB1bliVwQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bB1bliVwQE[/video]

Preach.

Just sit back and enjoy the next three years of cover 2 all game against today's spread offenses. The proof will be in the pudding when he's canned by 2019

So you mean Urban Meyer SHOULDN'T fire Greg Schiano for giving up 31 points to Clemson?

Skipping the meat of your post....Against WHO will he get exposed? The SEC is full of crap offenses. I think he is a really good DC, but lets be real, no matter how good or bad he REALLY is, the Gators defense with Florida talent will eat up the SEC offenses outside of Ole Miss and maybe Bama. All of them run offenses similar to the ones Randy excelled against when he was @ Miami.

The Gators defense will be highly thought of next year, and when they finally play a team that has a good TE, elite QB, or any type of spread wrinkle...the narrative will be that "The Gators Defense Fell Apart" where in reality they just are playing crap SEC offenses.

Advertisement
Back