Shannon UF DC

He wasn't a bad DC. Some of you guys keep pointing to a handful of games where he got worked but that happens to literally EVERY coordinator. Even "the best" DC's such as Saban, Patterson, Foster, Narduzzi, etc...have taken a few anal rapings in their day.

I understand he's gotta do what's best for his career but I'll never wish luck to a Gator.

He's a very good DC but even his record was a bit deceiving.

At first he dominated with Epic talent.

But then after that run he coached against a lot of weak offenses. When he faced a good OC(Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino, etc.) he flat got raped. Then he started getting thumped by some worse coaches. The problem is that spread offenses with running Qbs started taking hold and his talent level dropped off and he failed to adjust.

You could see the warning signs early on against OSU in the Fiesta Bowl when they instructed Krenzel to just pull it down on 3rd down when he saw the backs of Miami defenders because they were always in Cover 2 Man under.In 2003 Ed Zaunbrecher/Larry fedora torched the D with the Gator Offense running the first true spread that he sa and probably would have won that game if they hadn't made the retarded decision to switch Qbs to freshman Chris Leak. Then 2004 that upset at North Carolina he got mauled with some spread concept for 545 yards. Not to mention the Louisville games where Petrino scorched him with his power spread.

The fact is that when his talent was less than optimal his predictable style was taken advantage of by good OCs. He relied too much on Cover 2 man under. His D Line wasn't as good at getting to the QB or was slowed by spread formations and his LBs were taken advantage of in man by TEs. He Didn't like to blitz and when he did it was with limited and predictable packages.

The time under Geoff Collins hopefully taught him some new wrinkles because his base, rarely blitzing, cover 2 man under scheme will get exposed consistently going forward.

[video=youtube;4bB1bliVwQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bB1bliVwQE[/video]

Jesus, that was brutal.

Advertisement
Randy Shannon will always be a Miami Hurricane. Guy played here and coached here. He did his best to tell the team the avoid Shapiro. He was all Miami until the administration decided they were done with Shannon. I wish him nothing but the best regardless of where he coaches.
He needs to take care of himself and his family. Shame on any of you guys wishing him professional ills. I don't give a **** who you are, if you were offered a job that paid you more and bettered your overall work experience you would take it. Bunch of fa@@ots in his here talking **** about Randy. His degree will always say University of Miami regardless of how much smack you send his way. Grow the fawk up people.

This.

Advertisement
Back