Shannon UF DC

Advertisement
2006, we went 7-6. The talent level drop off, but this dude still posted a Top 10 defense, #7 to be exact. Terrible HC, game management sucked, but when it comes to being a DC, he's one of the best. His first game as a DC in 11 years, and he ate Iowa, alive and that was with Backups.

2019 will be interesting if he's still there!

I guess you stopped watching Miami football after 2006. Also, dominating any Iowa team is nothing to brag about. He always did well against traditional Offense's.

2006, we went 7-6. The talent level drop off, but this dude still posted a Top 10 defense, #7 to be exact. Terrible HC, game management sucked, but when it comes to being a DC, he's one of the best. His first game as a DC in 11 years, and he ate Iowa, alive and that was with Backups.

One of the best there is yet he hasn't been a DC for 11 years???? Hmmmm....something isn't adding up here....

I guess you stopped watching Miami football after 2006. Also, dominating any Iowa team is nothing to brag about. He always did well against traditional Offense's.

Him being an HC with multiple responsibilities and him being a DC is two different things. I'm just comparing apples to apples. We're not arguing his HC abilities, which I think we all can agree it sucked. But as a DC, come on man, that dude can coach a defense, imo

One of the best there is yet he hasn't been a DC for 11 years???? Hmmmm....something isn't adding up here....

5 year he was a HC, the other, maybe he didn't want to do it. Who knows! The problem we're going to face with him at UF is that we're going after the same type of players for almost the same type of scheme. There's going to be a serious recruiting wars with him.

Advertisement
Gators just promoted Randy to DC. I know some people were hoping he'd just GTFO of there, but looks like he's staying for at least one more year. I wouldn't be surprised if he uses this as a stepping stone to a HC job with some small school next year.

I hope horsetooth gets fired and they promote Shannon to HC so he can set their program back ten years like he did ours.
Early candidate for post of the year.

LOL Shannon is the best D cord we have had since the one we got now since the 80's. He will excel there . He isn't a head coach type but boy can he coach them up and recruit them.
Shannon was a decent LB coach. He was average at best as a DC.maybe he will do better under a good head coach. He was under Coker. I don't see him as anything more than an average recruiter also.

Last edited:

Him being an HC with multiple responsibilities and him being a DC is two different things. I'm just comparing apples to apples. We're not arguing his HC abilities, which I think we all can agree it sucked. But as a DC, come on man, that dude can coach a defense, imo

I agree he had success as a Defensive Coordinator; however, a great deal of his success came from the talent he had. I hated his conservative scheme. He was constantly getting out schemed by elite Offense's. Whenever he faced a Louisville or LSU, he got his *** handed to him. Luckily for him, the Big East and the ACC back then were weak conferences. There is a reason why he wasn't able to find a DC position until now.

To put it in perspective, had Randy been our DC this past season, our Defense would have been worse. The FSU's, Pitt's, UNC's, ND's, VT's of the world would have given him ****.

Last edited:
This should be hilarious to watch , corch Shannon's conservative cover 2 all game against all the spread offenses now will be epic. Then mix in dual threat qbs everywhere.

I set o/u at 2.5 years before he's canned

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah he is an overrated coach but he doing a pretty **** good job recruiting against Miami in South Florida

tumblr_lptijcyps01qdknz8.gif

Advertisement
so he has one good defensive year and y'all saying he's amazing DC? he had pro bowlers after that and got leveled by teams that had spread attacks with mobile QBs, his type of defense doesn't translate well to the modern game

I agree he had success as a Defensive Coordinator; however, a great deal of his success came from the talent he had. I hated his conservative scheme. He was constantly getting out schemed by elite Offense's. Whenever he faced a Louisville or LSU, he got his *** handed to him. Luckily for him, the Big East and the ACC back then were weak conferences. There is a reason why he wasn't able to find a DC position until now.

To put it in perspective, had Randy been our DC this past season, our Defense would have been worse. The FSU's, Pitt's, UNC's, ND's, VT's of the world would have given him ****.

AMEN

Advertisement
Back