Scrimmage take...

Easy. He's been coached properly for years, and didn't grow up playing sand lot football. Perry had fan boys for 2+ years and I think that might have filled his head more than the playbook.

That or he's fine, had a rough day, as every QB does. He wants that spot, some predict he'll take it (I don't, not for the first game unless he just kills it and its not close), but he's got some weight on his shoulders.

Williams has no pressure at this time, only what he puts on himself. He can play as loose as he wants.

There's a lot of opinions here in this thread. I would bet 90 percent of the board can't say what either QB's offense was that they ran. Ten percent, that number is probably too high.

The comments about attitudes crack me up as well. Nobody knows how much time these guys are putting into anything, but the armchair guru's are applying labels like it's going out of style.

Wish they had all been lights out. I'm just not ready to say anything as I wasn't there. Carry on though.

Advertisement
That or he's fine, had a rough day, as every QB does. He wants that spot, some predict he'll take it (I don't, not for the first game unless he just kills it and its not close), but he's got some weight on his shoulders.

Williams has no pressure at this time, only what he puts on himself. He can play as loose as he wants.

There's a lot of opinions here in this thread. I would bet 90 percent of the board can't say what either QB's offense was that they ran. Ten percent, that number is probably too high.

The comments about attitudes crack me up as well. Nobody knows how much time these guys are putting into anything, but the armchair guru's are applying labels like it's going out of style.

Wish they had all been lights out. I'm just not ready to say anything as I wasn't there. Carry on though.
I think more than anything, the Malik pessimists see his limitations. I would love to be proven wrong, but I don't think we can win the ACC or a Natty with him behind center. I'll root for dem Canes no matter what, but I want HOPE. Rosier gives me no hope.

i aint hating bruh we always hear of freshman making noise (RBS), remeber the buzz around duke? i remember walton and yearby turning heards freshman year....LO is way overrated
There was NEVER a buzz around Yearby. U reaching

There was NEVER a buzz around Yearby. U reaching

I agree that 69 is hating but, their was 100% a buzz around yearby. He was supposed to be better than Dalvin. Dalvin was afraid to play on the same team as him because he would be sitting on the bench. I was hearing that non stop when Yearby was getting recruited and then when he signed.

Thanks for the post Macho but I didn't need to read this thread to know what I've seen and been saying for two years now....Richt shouldn't be exclusively running the offense. We need, and have needed, to bring in an OC for a LONG time now.

Continues to be frustrating as ****. The worst part about it is i would make Richt a better head coach by freeing him up from the minutia of weekly offensive gameplanning on having to call every play on gameday. He'd be able to manage the team from a higher altitude.

Advertisement
I agree that 69 is hating but, their was 100% a buzz around yearby. He was supposed to be better than Dalvin. Dalvin was afraid to play on the same team as him because he would be sitting on the bench. I was hearing that non stop when Yearby was getting recruited and then when he signed.
I should have been more specific. Once he got on campus there was never a buzz about him being some game changer. And thats the context this 69 person is talking. Making some noise early in practice.

Btw it sounds like our oline got dominated...when that happens aint nobody eating....just my 2cents

Not to disagree with your assessment, but didn't we hear tons about Perry working all last summer with Winston and stuff like that? That sounds like a guy who's trying to take his opportunity seriously. Do you think that he's just that far behind coaching wise? Coaches have to know this team is a good qb from an undefeated regular season and maybe a playoff birth yearly. What do you think it's gonna take for the kid to take that next step? How about Weldon?

IF Macho's assessment of Perry is true ( i hope its not, because it doesn't bode well for our immediate future at QB and our prospects in the playoffs) and he doesn't have what it takes overtake Rosier. Then it means that Weldon who hasn't really been in the conversation at all is even further off.

Not having seen any of the scrimmages, and hearing all of the "QB's must pick up their game" hints from various coaches, I think we'll all have to wait until the Spring game and probably well into the summer before knowing who will lead us into the Fall. There is still time for everyone because the need to improve performance from the position remains obvious.

I must admit admit though that I'm not looking forward to us entering the season knowing that whoever starts still doesn't truly have the coaches confidence. No one wants a repeat of last year's slow crash and burn, especially the coaches. They know the stakes.

Its a shame that we'll have all of these outstanding offensive weapons at WR and RB....yet still have a deficient triggerman. SOMEBODY take charge!! ANYBODY!!! This can be a special year IF someone does.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I know its only the 1st Scrimmage but still it's Great to hear!!

According to the stats Rousseau and Patchan both had outstanding games on defense. ( Don't know who they were going against but .....still) Hopefully this means we won't have to resort to blitzes all the time to get pressure on our opponents QB's because ours are pretty mobile

Gregory Rousseau: 7 tackles, 5 TFL, 4 sacks.......sounds like an immediate contributer to me!!!

Scott Patchan: 5 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 sacks...............Hears hoping for an outstanding injury free season

Last edited:
3 thoughts:

1. First, to expect to see wrinkles, in a spring scrimmage, is HILARIOUS.

Its HILARIOUS. Yall are funny as f*ck like this is 2 weeks before LSU. Going back into the memory banks, I think I have seen every spring game we have had the past 10 years (so across 3 coaches) and I cant remember a single unusual offensive call.

Remember what spring is for these guys- time to get acclimated to ****. The offensive call rhetoric in a spring scrimmage is comedy.
-----------------------------
2. Now for Kosi, its as I said weeks ago. He HAS the best arm, most talent and if you check his mechanics are arguably the best as well. What is wrong with him in the mindset category is unusual. I wish I had an answer.

I still think come fall they are platooning QBs. I bet Kosi gets packages, but going with Rosier is not a bad option.

I remember plenty of top QBs floundering when they get to D1. I watched the tape on Williams and you can tell hes not like Bama's true frosh kid who can come in there burn the house down. Could be coaching but something tells me competition has a bit to do with it. None the less, heres to seeing Kosi get his **** together. Cheers.
-----------------------------
3. The poor QB play from both guys getting 1s reps MIGHT, just MIGHT have to do with horrible O-line play.

Holy **** how do you give up almost 10 sacks in a scrimmage? Got ****, either we are born again hard on the D-line or these guys just got worked.

I dont care if you put tom brady behind our O-line, if he doesnt have time, you will get dog **** completion % so I think the stats line up perfectly.

Ton of sacks, both qbs under 50% passing... umm that stat line makes sense to me, considering QBs were not live.

If your offense is lighting up your defense in Spring ball it’s going be a loooong season.

Was at UMDs practice yesterday and (not that it’s saying much but) their offense looked trash as well besides a few spurts here n there..appreciate the OP insight but I won’t make any reservations cause of it.

Advertisement
dont say it too loud..i said it during the season and the richt rovers was sending shots at my head.

Any one who really knows offense...knows that we really dont utilize our guys to full potential or put defenses ont heir heels.

your idea for creativity cannot just be a bubble screen. Was really hoping we brought in an offensive guy for another edge on offense because for the most part...aint no one bringing in new ideas..the main guys are richt disciples or his son

The same route tree that OU's offense or Clemson's or WVa's offense has in its playbook...Miami has the same route tree in its playbook as well...they all run cookie cutter spread zone scheme offenses....bubble screens and slants are a staple in ANY offense....the difference is the QB....how can you "open" up the playbook when the qb cant throw or complete simple routes? What would you like for Richt to do? All the other qbs can complete these simple passes....but ours can't....All the so called great offensive minds can not make Mailk an accurate thrower no matter how innovative their offense is....dont you guys see that? Why complicate an offense with advanced level route combinations, personnel groupings and/or shifting and motion...he can't get the basics down, what offensive coordinator we could bring in would help? Just go back...like i did and still do...and look at the games....and see how many easy throws were missed...it will amaze you....had he even completed half of those he missed...dude would've had 40 touchdowns and maybe over 3500 yards....stop putting everything on play calling....most of the time play execution kills drives...

If Perry is still struggling due to a lack of coaching in HS, how was that lack of football IQ/awareness not picked up on when he was being recruited by Richt - a QB & QB coach?

HS coaching has very little impact on whether a kid succeeds or not at the College level...blaming HS coaches is a cop-out.

Richt said about Williams, "sometimes He doesn't know what He doesn't know"..."sometimes He's just back there and feeling things, and, but when He does throw it at something He usually hits it...which is pretty good."

Richt's quote above speaks to instincts, not HS coaching like some HS coaches would want you to believe.

Advertisement
Actually, he was splitting second team reps with Shirreffs. Perry was never going to play in the Orange Bowl, so enough of this "he was number 2" nonsense. Richt might have wanted Perry to get reps to give him a little confidence going into the spring.

I read the same that by the bowl game Perry had unseated Sheriffs. That is what prompted the transfer more than likely.

Need a consistently accurate qb who can run for richts offense to work as good as it possibly can. Rosier isn’t that because he isn’t accurate and apparently N’Kosi Perry has a lot to work on. Jarren Williams seems well advanced and should possibly start being taken more seriously in the qb battle because he has the goods

Last edited:
It's way too early to hand wring about QB play. Too many miles to go and too small a sample size in terms of practice/scrimmage play. My only take away from yesterday regarding QB play is a positive. Williams flashed his potential. I love hearing that a QB is throwing with accuracy and putting the ball where it needs to be and from what Richt said about Williams, it sounds like the kid did. I'm hoping we continue to see that.

All due respect, saying this in the nicest possible way, you are overthinking a meh first scrimmage. Over-analysis. As in, they got a lot of shlt to work on. Now if this is how it’s looking scrimmage 3. I’ll buy in more. Also, no credi to the D?

The Perry prep stuff...who knows? Time will tell. Could be bs could be true. I’m not buying until I see more.

Sorry, but too early to take seriously.

This is kind of how I feel based on following spring practices for eons. The common thread with all spring practices is usually: offense struggles, offense is vanilla, qb play is inconsistent, etc. Heck, we even had those issues back in the early 00s.

That said, the consistent theme about the qb position is alarming. Our inability to have an effective short passing game (screens, drags, etc) does not make it easy for our QBs.

Advertisement
Back