Scrimmage take...

I agree that 69 is hating but, their was 100% a buzz around yearby. He was supposed to be better than Dalvin. Dalvin was afraid to play on the same team as him because he would be sitting on the bench. I was hearing that non stop when Yearby was getting recruited and then when he signed.
I knew better, mostly everyone knew Dalvin was the goods and that Yearby would not be able to keep him on the bench in college.

Advertisement

Attachments

• CE58E68E-949E-47FD-95CD-A7D9F43FB114.jpeg
    CE58E68E-949E-47FD-95CD-A7D9F43FB114.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 10
If your offense is lighting up your defense in Spring ball it’s going be a loooong season.

Was at UMDs practice yesterday and (not that it’s saying much but) their offense looked trash as well besides a few spurts here n there..appreciate the OP insight but I won’t make any reservations cause of it.
in all respect......

since when the **** do we compare ourselves to the Terps

It’s in line with everything I’ve seen from a Richt offense since he’s been here, so it’s hard not to take credence in the analysis

Advertisement
It's not about giving up yards. I really not concerned about getting beat deep. There are not too many teams on our schedule that physically have the speed to beat us deep consistently. When it's happened, it's usually been due to a breakdown in coverage. It's like in baseball, having your centerfielder play shallow. He'll pick off more base hits for outs than have balls hit over his head. However, when a Mickey Mantle or Willie McCovey came up, you can still shade the centerfielder deeper.

It's about getting off the field. The whole intent of an attacking defense is to get the offense into unfavorable situations in the later downs. Sure, you can pick up some cheap points on turnovers (which are bound to happen) but if you don't seal the deal on third down what's the point. How many times did we see the defense play great on first and second down only to see some freshman QB throw a 10 yard seam pass to a short white guy for a first down. Look at our third down percentages. We were gashed there all year, even in games we won.

A lot of those issues can be attributed to poor tackling and pursuit angles and not necessarily a flaw in the defensive system.

I agree. However, I was unaware that we had scrimmages during the fall. I thought the summer was just workouts and installs, in which the scrimmages take place in the fall. Did we have scrimmages last year during the summer? I honestly can't remember.

As I recall, just based off the top of my head, our last scrimmage last year, in which the starting QB was finally determined, was just a couple of weeks before the opener. I may try to look that up later. That’s my vague recollection, though.

Speaking of the Terps, how is that DeMatha RB that Maryland stole from us last year doing? Running with their top unit yet?

Nah he’s 3rd string right now. Their 2 lead backs are pretty good and upperclassmen. He does look explosive though

Advertisement
As I recall, just based off the top of my head, our last scrimmage last year, in which the starting QB was finally determined, was just a couple of weeks before the opener. I may try to look that up later. That’s my vague recollection, though.
In my previous post, I meant to say that I was unaware that we had scrimmages during the summer. I accidentally said, "fall".

I definitely remember scrimmages taking place in the fall. I just can't remember them taking place place in the summer.

Nothing at all, I'm just not sure he'd make a difference. Me being unconvinced is obviously not a reason not to hire him, and presumably he wouldn't be any worse.

The easy solution, is that our guys start playing to their potential and we win on talent and a doged refusal to lose. Once I see the OL blocking all the time and the QB hitting the guys who get open all the time and the D covering receivers and tackling ball carriers all the time, I'll start to worry about play calling more. Richt's play calling looks fine when everybody executes.

We can’t hire any more coaches, but other than that...

Advertisement
In my previous post, I meant to say that I was unaware that we had scrimmages during the summer. I accidentally said, "fall".

I definitely remember scrimmages taking place in the fall. I just can't remember them taking place place in the summer.

Let me put it this way, in the summer/fall, to the best of my recollection, there will be 3 or 4 scrimmages. I think probably four. The formats and scoring will vary per coaches’ choices. They are generally all officiated. Only snippets of videos are provided.

The first one is usually around after a week and a half to 2 weeks after the first practice. Maybe as early as the first week. The last scrimmage is at least a week before the opener, so technically they are all in the summer since fall doesn’t officially begin until sometime in Sept.

Let me put it this way, in the summer/fall, to the best of my recollection, there will be 3 or 4 scrimmages. I think probably four. The formats and scoring will vary per coaches’ choices. They are generally all officiated. Only snippets of videos are provided.

The first one is usually around after a week and a half to 2 weeks after the first practice. Maybe as early as the first week. The last scrimmage is at least a week before the opener, so technically they are all in the summer since fall doesn’t officially begin until sometime in Sept.
Got it. We are on the same page then. "Fall camp" takes place in August, which is in the summer. When you said summer in your earlier post, I thought you were referring to summer workouts, which is when coaches are not allowed to have any contact with players on the field. I thought I was missing something. Lol

When it comes to complaints about overall offensive playcalling/philosophy. I can tell u that there were too many times i can count i saw open wrs downfield that our Qb could not get the ball 2. Ijs if the reciever is open then the play worked. Regardless how pretty or deceptive you thought it should have been.

Advertisement
Ain't been on this thread since last night and Lo(who has been raved about all spring) is now a bust and overrated. 69 is a very obvious troll guys but the rest of y'all? C'mon now.

And of course the usual CIS know it alls and Richt hating mods are decrying the playbook, want us to fire a staff member and hire an OC today!!!, and are breaking out their banners. If we're not running end of around and double reverses in our first scrimmage of spring then what are doing huh? Fire everybody.

Before you bring up last season, we all know Malik couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but there were regularly guys running wide open and the ball would sail or bounce to them. Would you like them to be even more open? Execution is important too guys.

People don't like the question but it's a legit one IMO. If you know so much more then Coach Richt and co, then why aren't you on a staff somewhere? Even like a lower division or NAIA school? Or ****, at least high school but no 99% are not. They think because they selected some killer plays on Madden to drop 63 on some unsuspecting 12 year old in 5 min quarters, that they know what it takes to run a college offense. It's all about motion am-I-rite?

Fall can't come soon enough, people dissecting the initial scrimmage in spring like it's a mf bowl game.

Ain't been on this thread since last night and Lo(who has been raved about all spring) is now a bust and overrated. 69 is a very obvious troll guys but the rest of y'all? C'mon now.

And of course the usual CIS know it alls and Richt hating mods are decrying the playbook, want us to fire a staff member and hire an OC today!!!, and are breaking out their banners. If we're not running end of around and double reverses in our first scrimmage of spring then what are doing huh? Fire everybody.

Before you bring up last season, we all know Malik couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but there were regularly guys running wide open and the ball would sail or bounce to them. Would you like them to be even more open? Execution is important too guys.

People don't like the question but it's a legit one IMO. If you know so much more then Coach Richt and co, then why aren't you on a staff somewhere? Even like a lower division or NAIA school? Or ****, at least high school but no 99% are not. They think because they selected some killer plays on Madden to drop 63 on some unsuspecting 12 year old in 5 min quarters, that they know what it takes to run a college offense. It's all about motion am-I-rite?

Fall can't come soon enough, people dissecting the initial scrimmage in spring like it's a mf bowl game.
There are certainly things that I wish Coach Richt would implement into the offense, and I think we need to be more innovative with the weapons we do have. But like you said, it comes down to execution, and off the top of my head we probably missed 10+ touchdowns on bad throws or missed reads when guys were uncovered down field

i'm up for it because Rosier is a 5th yr senior who has maxed out, while perry or any of the 3 freshman are just getting started with their careers and have a lot of room for growth during summer and the season. So if they are already performing at the same level as Rosier, why the **** wouldn't I want one of the freshman to start.

They are not preforming at the same level. Richt still saying rosier is ahead

As I understand it, we don’t have enough linemen on either side to fill out a 3rd string, so we’re running 3rd string reps 7 on 7.

Williams was 6/8 against the 2s and 5/8 in 7 on 7 play with the 3s
Yes. And threw both TD to Jeff Thomas.

Advertisement
Back