Scrimmage take...

This is kind of how I feel based on following spring practices for eons. The common thread with all spring practices is usually: offense struggles, offense is vanilla, qb play is inconsistent, etc. Heck, we even had those issues back in the early 00s.

That said, the consistent theme about the qb position is alarming. Our inability to have an effective short passing game (screens, drags, etc) does not make it easy for our QBs.
Quick slants too

Advertisement
As a GA native, I am on the Williams bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I want whoever wins the starting job to do well, but I am also rooting for the home state kid. GA has been producing some top notch high school/college QBs lately; Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Emory Jones, Jarren Williams.

As a GA native, I am on the Williams bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I want whoever wins the starting job to do well, but I am also rooting for the home state kid. GA has been producing some top notch high school/college QBs lately; Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Emory Jones, Jarren Williams.
Qb level is just different in Georgia. They are more advanced

Our inability to have an effective short passing game (screens, drags, etc) does not make it easy for our QBs.

We do all of the above...problem is we do it at wrong time with the wrong people, IE calling an ill advised tunnel screen to Berrios in the bowl game that brought all the momentum we did have to a screeching halt.

Qb level is just different in Georgia. They are more advanced

I wonder if it's because there is seemingly a greater abundance of talent at the skill positions in FL than in GA, which leads to FL QBs being able to lean on that moreso than their own skills, which of course doesn't benefit them in the long run.

Advertisement
I wonder if it's because there is seemingly a greater abundance of talent at the skill positions in FL than in GA, which leads to FL QBs being able to lean on that moreso than their own skills, which of course doesn't benefit them in the long run.
Georgia has a bunch of skill talent too. Imo they are loaded at every position which isn’t always the case for Florida(not many qbs on the level of Georgia of course, oline and dline in most years are not on Georgia’s level imo). But Florida is better in most of the other positions on the field. I have No doubt in my mind that Georgia is taking over be mantle as the second most talented state in the country

I think it has a lot to do with coaching too, it’s a lot better in Georgia

I would hold up on that until mid summer, at least. imo

Remember last year? The ship had sailed on Rosier according to all the insider reports. The same people who are now saying Perry doesn’t have it between the ears.

Now I’m not saying he does or he doesn’t. Maybe he just can’t or won’t get it. I don’t know. I do know that I have no horse in this race, I just want the best man to win. Whoever it is. Even if it’s, Rosier. Hope it’s not him, but I can’t control that. Might be Williams.

Who knows. It’s all an open book as far as I’m concerned. But I’m taking these “insider” reports with a grain of salt until we’ve had at least 4 more scrimmages, real scrimmages, which won’t be until late July, or August.
I agree. However, I was unaware that we had scrimmages during the summer.. I thought the summer was just workouts and installs, in which the scrimmages take place in the fall. Did we have scrimmages last year during the summer? I honestly can't remember.

Last edited:
Kosi has been on campus for about 9 months. If he was picking apart the defense I think that would be a bad thing. He will improve, just needs time....We will all have the opportunity to see him live next weekend and draw our own conclusions.

Advertisement
I'm well documented saying that Richt needs to hire an OC! His scheme is too basic and play calling too slow. Plus he cannot make adjustments on the fly. Unless it is perfectly executed this offense presents no complications to a defense.
Gator, I'd like to add to your documentation that we could have hired Ken Dorsey to help with the offense, call it ***. OC or whatever, and Richt didn't do it, big mistake imo. You get an opportunity to hire an offensive mind like that, and on the cheap, you do it. Richt is unimpressive as an OC, I have been hoping it was due to a lame QB but have my doubts. It was just stupid to not get KD, guess he's thinking Jr can handle the job which is a ***** joke this is big boy football. Of coarse I also would have hired Burch Davis instead of Mark Richt to begin with, and I guarantee he would have had enough sense to hire Dorsey

Gator, I'd like to add to your documentation that we could have hired Ken Dorsey to help with the offense, call it ***. OC or whatever, and Richt didn't do it, big mistake imo. You get an opportunity to hire an offensive mind like that, and on the cheap, you do it. Richt is unimpressive as an OC, I have been hoping it was due to a lame QB but have my doubts. It was just stupid to not get KD, guess he's thinking Jr can handle the job which is a ***** joke this is big boy football. Of coarse I also would have hired Burch Davis instead of Mark Richt to begin with, and I guarantee he would have had enough sense to hire Dorsey

Nothing against Dorsey, but I'm not sure why you are so sure he's a great hire. What has he done that has you so convinced hiring him would be a "big boy" move? I'd be happy to take the chance as I'm starting to think Richt might lack the ability to change what he does based on what his team is good at. Hoping I'm wrong about that.

Are you sure? I thought the team couldn't have on-field contact with coaches over the summer. My understanding was that the coaches could talk to them off-field and tell them what they should be doing, but it was up to the players to go do it on their own.

Advertisement
Are you sure? I thought the team couldn't have on-field contact with coaches over the summer. My understanding was that the coaches could talk to them off-field and tell them what they should be doing, but it was up to the players to go do it on their own.
I think you are right. My fault.

I just figure he is as good as anybody we have, super smart, has been in NFL for yrs, and what the he'll do we have to lose. So far Richt O is about as plain as you can get, I don't have much confidence in him as a play caller and he's about as innovative as a hs coach. Again, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE by bringing KD in.

I just figure he is as good as anybody we have, super smart, has been in NFL for yrs, and what the he'll do we have to lose. So far Richt O is about as plain as you can get, I don't have much confidence in him as a play caller and he's about as innovative as a hs coach. Again, WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE by bringing KD in.

Nothing at all, I'm just not sure he'd make a difference. Me being unconvinced is obviously not a reason not to hire him, and presumably he wouldn't be any worse.

The easy solution, is that our guys start playing to their potential and we win on talent and a doged refusal to lose. Once I see the OL blocking all the time and the QB hitting the guys who get open all the time and the D covering receivers and tackling ball carriers all the time, I'll start to worry about play calling more. Richt's play calling looks fine when everybody executes.

Advertisement
Dmoney posted that both Rosier and Perry missed open guys multiple times. Richt isn’t Lincoln Riley but if our QBs can make the easy throws to open guys we’ll be lighting up the scoreboard. Our problem right now is execution, not creativity.
Our problem is Rosier can’t hit the open guys. Or couldn’t. If there is no improvement and the OL isn’t better run blocking, we likely regress.

We are going to need to spread to run so the QB has to be some what competent to keep Ds honest.

Hope to see more of Weldon. Guy has had to earn erverything. Hope he matures up.

I agree that 69 is hating but, their was 100% a buzz around yearby. He was supposed to be better than Dalvin. Dalvin was afraid to play on the same team as him because he would be sitting on the bench. I was hearing that non stop when Yearby was getting recruited and then when he signed.

Welcome to the new age Miami fan who believes that bc Yearby signed with us and dalvin didnt, Yearby was automatically better.

Its how folks make themselves feel better about the state we have been in. They did the exact same thing with Coach Kool who now is “not good” and “overrated” when he was unanimously regarded as the best coach we had and the best DL coach in america by this board.

I think it has a lot to do with coaching too, it’s a lot better in Georgia

Coaching is far and away better in Georgia. I think the trenches (particularly interior line play) is better in Georgia. However, Florida routinely puts out some quality DEs; that's probably a push there depending on the cycle. Skill positions are Florida's easily though.

Advertisement
Back