Scrimmage take...

Creating a simpler offense would make things harder?

I think Macho is saying our system isn’t QB friendly....meaning we’re asking our guys to do things they’re just not good at.

If that’s the case, you simplify the offense and create easy reads/designs to get completions.

You should be able to take what your guys are good at it....and morph the offense into something sensible without becoming incredibly predictable and easy to stop. The best OCs do this all the time.

If Richt’s offense can’t make that happen - it sucks.

I think its more of our qb sucks

Advertisement
I knew better, mostly everyone knew Dalvin was the goods and that Yearby would not be able to keep him on the bench in college.

Facts. I knew the same thing because we actually know football, but I was hearing a lot of the blind homers saying how he was the best out.

There are certainly things that I wish Coach Richt would implement into the offense, and I think we need to be more innovative with the weapons we do have. But like you said, it comes down to execution, and off the top of my head we probably missed 10+ touchdowns on bad throws or missed reads when guys were uncovered down field

Jeff Thomas wide open first drive Clemson comes to mind.

Not gonna lie fellas, my buddy @cutdacheck and I left a little bummed after this practice/scrimmage, particularly about the offense.

Some thoughts...

*Perry's not the guy. I thought he looked okay a couple weeks ago but after seeing him in live action today it's no bueno. I know that's gonna disappoint a lot of people that thought he'd be our savior but i eluded to his flaws when watching his high school tape. He wasn't coached, he was playing junkyard ball. (toss it up!)
I'm gonna call this now - he will eventually be passed up by Williams and transfer. (joking, but not really) That's a little hyperbole but I do believe he will be passed by Williams. He's a massive project and rumor is that he doesn't even take anything seriously. (I think somebody stated that on here before as well) The lightbulb may turn on eventually but RIGHT NOW Williams shows more promise.

*Rosier. LOL. (that's all)

*Dallas was ballin today. I know some of us wanted to see him at WR or CB but he's a RB all day but should still be used all over the offense. He's a toolbox.

*None of the other RB's could find any running room. I was extremely impressed with Lingard a couple weeks ago but I left today's practice slightly underwhelmed. I found the flaw in his game today - he's got zero wiggle. They threw him several swing passes in the flats (and other than one time) he couldn't make the defender miss in the open field. Not only did he have the ball in the wrong arm at times but he doesn't use his arm length to keep tacklers away from his body. He allows a single defender to get into his personal space and bring him right to the ground. I still think he's elite but I see him as a slasher, he just needs a vertical crease to get going. I'm sure Coach Brown will refine these weaknesses though. Kid should still be in high school.

*Not a great day for Cager. Had a few catches but had a chance to bring down a fade in the endzone and dropped it. Not sure why we're throwing him bubble screens either. 🤔

*Jeff Thomas. 🔥 That is all.

*Our defense still can't cover the middle of the field. Just forget about it. It's always gonna be a weakness.

*Either our OL is complete trash or our DL is flat-out nasty. I think it's a bit of both. Ford and Willis looked great today and our DE rotation is SICK. Coach Simpson has got those boys playing lights out. Patchan and Rousseau were EATING today. Maybe I'm just excited but ***** it, I'm calling it now, Rousseau is only gonna be here 3 years and then he's going 1st round. (joking, but not really) Our QB's had no time to throw today.

*I know, I know... Mark Richt has been coaching for 78 years and blah blah blah. He needs to hire an OC. We show zero innovation on offense. Despite not having adequate time to throw, we made no effort to establish any "quick game". (I don't think I saw a hitch thrown all day) We also didn't roll the pocket one single time from my recollection. You have no time to throw + young inexperienced/inaccurate QB's...run some sprint-out and change his launching point...buy him some time to throw and give him easy reads. We don't really do a great job of utilizing space IMO.

*Saw our young LB's make a few plays. Jennings, Steed and Wilder.

*Harley caught a deep ball. He fast!

*Wiggins "Mossed" Ivey for a TD. It was nice.

*I thought our starting OL looked decent but anything outside of that... 👎 Not good.
Hillery is an impressive looking dude though! Needs to be one of the first players getting off the bus.

*Saw Lamar Miller, Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and "two zero E-Reed boiiiiii" out there today. That was cool.

That's about it off the top of my head.
I think the main issue with lo right now is hes not trusting his reads. **** get that figured out. Ive got high hopes in him. Very similar to danyell Ferguson at a young age.

Advertisement
Got it. We are on the same page then. "Fall camp" takes place in August, which is in the summer. When you said summer in your earlier post, I thought you were referring to summer workouts, which is when coaches are not allowed to have any contact with players on the field. I thought I was missing something. Lol

No, you got it right. Pretty much after spring practice ends the players should be working out on their own, hitting the weight room, etc, until official practices start up.

I’m not sure but I think the NCAA does allow some supervised weight training/conditioning that kind of stuff, but I’m not an expert on practice compliance.

Now here’s something which I know will happen and I know we all absolutely expect. The QB’s working out on their own with the wide receivers. That happens everywhere. What distinguishes the best from the average is leadership. Who are the QBs insisting people don’t slack off, come to the “voluntary” workouts, etc. IMO. this is where and how our starter should start to emerge. Like a student putting in that extra study time to get those A’s and get into med school.

you're missing the point on our defense.
we specifically don't play our safeties up close. We run an attacking 43 2 deep. Thats the philosophy of this defense - 9 of the guys being super aggressive while 2 (the safeites) are really conservative.

So You're not concerned about getting beat deep, but the fact is Diaz is. His gameplan is specifically designed to prevent the deep passes, and as you said, thats why it rarely happens, and when it did it was due to a breakdown in coverage.

And yeah our defense is designed to do 2 things - get off the field fast, and not allow any big plays. The problem with that or ANY defense that makes that the priority is it often times will allow the offense to pick up a bunch of yards in a game (but on a lower ypa). You can talk and focus on the negatives of our defense all you want and point to the 3rd down %. But the fact is I can point to the turnovers, tfls, sacks, pts allowed all to back me up and why the defense was successful last yr. Would I want the 3rd down D to imrpve? Obviously, no ****. I want the defense to be 1st in everything. But I like Diazs defense for the most part and what it tries to accomplish. The only thing I wish he'd do is probably just a few less crazy blitzes, and more man coverage. But at his heart, hes a zone kinda DC.

I get the point of the defense. I just don't believe strategically, it's been accomplishing it's objectives. Piling up turnovers, TFLs , sacks, etc. against the likes of Bethune Cookman, Toledo, Duke, Syracuse look nice in the aggregate numbers. But the likes of Clemson, Wisconsin and other less "elite" teams have had their way with us. Even FSU, with a freshman QB, for the second year in a row, marched down the field late in the forth quarter for the go ahead touch down. Only last, year it took a miracle catch to win. And people are talking about challenging for the playoffs?

I don't care who the QB is. If the defense doesn't get stops when need them, particularly in the game critical situations, it doesn't matter.

There are certainly things that I wish Coach Richt would implement into the offense, and I think we need to be more innovative with the weapons we do have. But like you said, it comes down to execution, and off the top of my head we probably missed 10+ touchdowns on bad throws or missed reads when guys were uncovered down field
First play on offense in ACC championship game Malik underthrows a wide open Jeff Thomas for td! Clips of Malik missing Richards in the Pittsburgh game over and over will never get out my head!

Advertisement
The same route tree that OU's offense or Clemson's or WVa's offense has in its playbook...Miami has the same route tree in its playbook as well...they all run cookie cutter spread zone scheme offenses....bubble screens and slants are a staple in ANY offense....the difference is the QB....how can you "open" up the playbook when the qb cant throw or complete simple routes? What would you like for Richt to do? All the other qbs can complete these simple passes....but ours can't....All the so called great offensive minds can not make Mailk an accurate thrower no matter how innovative their offense is....dont you guys see that? Why complicate an offense with advanced level route combinations, personnel groupings and/or shifting and motion...he can't get the basics down, what offensive coordinator we could bring in would help? Just go back...like i did and still do...and look at the games....and see how many easy throws were missed...it will amaze you....had he even completed half of those he missed...dude would've had 40 touchdowns and maybe over 3500 yards....stop putting everything on play calling....most of the time play execution kills drives...

yea yea..blah ..blah..woe is me...what is richt to do?. Umm hes avg as an oc. Comparing him to the guys at the 3 colleges you named is laughable. Ga Tech has the same route tree in their play book, who really cares about the route tree?. We dont even throw slants. A staple that you stated.
Ninjas is acting like Richt just got here...Rosier isnt all that but he isnt as bad as y our making it out to be. And the "open up" the playbook thing is a joke...Richt's playbook is widdde open..he aint dialing it back. This is exactly how his offense looked when he ran it at UGA with out the RPO which is his new "wrinkle". If the offense bogs again this year against avg to above avg defenses...Go get an OC...or another guy on offense please.

Love the guy as an HC. I think he is an avg OC (which he could be with our athletes and still KILL). I think he wasted a few staff spots that maybe would have eased him up a bit. After this season the onus will fall on him more sincehe would essentially have all qbs recruited by him. No excuses.

Last edited:
It's all about this summer for Perry

Once Rosier won the job not burning shirts was more of a priority than making them the backup.

For all the complaints made about Rosier, as an injured QB, he was still better than Sherrifs. Burning shirts means very little when QBs are impatient and transfer. The fact is, if Perry was better than Rosier there is no chance in **** Sherrifs gets that #2 spot.

We do all of the above...problem is we do it at wrong time with the wrong people, IE calling an ill advised tunnel screen to Berrios in the bowl game that brought all the momentum we did have to a screeching halt.

The next shallow cross I see out of Mark Richt offense, since he started coaching here, will be the first.

I've been yelling for this since Coley was our OC. Our offense has and continue to ignore the middle of the field. We ran A FEW more slants last year, especially in the second half of the FSU game, but then after that it was sporadically called at best.

Slants and drags....they move the chains. Why the **** we don't incorporate them more as a staple of our offense, especially given our skill position talent level, continues to perplex me.

It doesnt matter whether its the scheme or the players. Hes had three years to fix it. This isnt his first rodeo. If our offense is still a mess, and our defense cant stop WCO, then thats on the coaches either way.

Advertisement

Agree on both parts. We did miss a lot of open plays last year and left a ton of points on the field...if we clean that up, we beat most teams going away last year instead of all the nail-biters.

That said, we definitely need to be more innovative. The game is changing and we need to keep up. I watch games with friends every Saturday and when i can routinely call out the plays before the snap without any film work or breakdown of tendencies/formations, you know other teams know what's coming too. We have better athletes than most teams we play so even if they know, we should still be able to get ours. But to be the best, we need to allow our athletes to shine and score with the best.

Advertisement

There we 3 scrimmages once practice officially started. Here is Rosier vs Perry in those scrimmages. Including the 1st scrimmage yesterday, these are the last 4 official scrimmages for UM.

Here is Malik's scrimmage results over the same 4 scrimmages as Perry.

8 of 17 109 yards 2 TDS 1 INT (scrimmage #4)

18 of 32 222 yards 2 TDS (scrimmage #3)

17 of 25 260 yards 2 TDS 1 INT (scrimmage #2)

8 of 14 181 yards 3 TDS (scrimmage #1)

Total = 51 of 88 (58%) 9 TDS 2 INT 772 YARDS

Here is Perry's scrimmage results.

6 of 13 33 yards 1 INT (scrimmage #4)

6 of 16 57 yards 2 INT (scrimmage #3)

6 of 12 88 yards 1 TD (scrimmage #2)

6 of 15 68 yards 1 INT (scrimmage #1)

Total = 24 of 56 (43%) 1 TDS 4 INT 237 YARDS

I get the point of the defense. I just don't believe strategically, it's been accomplishing it's objectives. Piling up turnovers, TFLs , sacks, etc. against the likes of Bethune Cookman, Toledo, Duke, Syracuse look nice in the aggregate numbers. But the likes of Clemson, Wisconsin and other less "elite" teams have had their way with us. Even FSU, with a freshman QB, for the second year in a row, marched down the field late in the forth quarter for the go ahead touch down. Only last, year it took a miracle catch to win. And people are talking about challenging for the playoffs?

I don't care who the QB is. If the defense doesn't get stops when need them, particularly in the game critical situations, it doesn't matter.
You're so full of **** acting like our defense was bad. Does it need to improve in the redzone and on 3rd down, yes. Was it really good? yes. And We went four straight games of 4 Turnovers from week 6 to week 9, the teams being Syracuse, North Carolina, VTech, and ND - 2 of our biggest games of the season.

1st in Sacks per game.
3rd in total Turnovers Gained.
4th in TFLs per game.
11th in TDs allowed total.
12th in Yards per Play.
23rd in Defensive passing efficiency.
28th in Scoring Defense.

You talk about 3rd down defense, but did you know our defense faced the 4th MOST 3rd downs of ANY defense in the country. Its actually an interesting thing to know. It is no coincidence that the best defenses in the country are the ones that face the most 3rd downs. We had a 39% 3rd down%, while Bama had 35%. So imo we are really close, and it certainly wasn't as bad as you're making it out to seem. .... If we take ONLY the teams in the top 50 in 3rd downs faced, and bottom 50 in redzone attempts faced, only 13 P5 teams in the country are represented - Clemson, TCU, tOSU, UGA, Auburn, Bama, PSU, Washington, FSU, Purdue, Northwestern, Boston College, and Us. ....thats a pretty ******* elite list of defenses, is it not? The problem is we're last in 3rd down% amongst this group and bottom half in Redzone TD%. So obviously it needs to be improved, but stop ******* acting like we weren't one of the best defenses in the country. If our offense had been competent in the majority of these games, our defense would have had an easier job too, and likely performed better.

The FSU game we created 2 turnovers and held them to 3 points in the first 3 quarters. Then they scored 17 in the 4th. but did you watch the game? Do you remember how they scored both their TDs? They were both on Robert Knowles ******* up! The only reason he was playing was due to our starters injury. So your grand point is that our defense Dominated FSU over 75% of the game, then in the final quarter gave up some points over the **** up of ONE ****** *** backup player? Our defense worked exactly how it was supposed to. Yeah we gave up some yards, and they drove the field a couple times, but they didn't really score much at all. And Blackmon wasn't carving us up or anything. He had 5.5 adjusted yards/attempt which is horrible. ******* Rosier had 6.1 and he was terrible that game.

yea yea..blah ..blah..woe is me...what is richt to do?. Umm hes avg as an oc. Comparing him to the guys at the 3 colleges you named is laughable. Ga Tech has the same route tree in their play book, who really cares about the route tree?. We dont even throw slants. A staple that you stated.
Ninjas is acting like Richt just got here...Rosier isnt all that but he isnt as bad as y our making it out to be. And the "open up" the playbook thing is a joke...Richt's playbook is widdde open..he aint dialing it back. This is exactly how his offense looked when he ran it at UGA with out the RPO which is his new "wrinkle". If the offense bogs again this year against avg to above avg defenses...Go get an OC...or another guy on offense please.

Love the guy as an HC. I think he is an avg OC (which he could be with our athletes and still KILL). I think he wasted a few staff spots that maybe would have eased him up a bit. After this season the onus will fall on him more sincehe would essentially have all qbs recruited by him. No excuses.
You say blah blah but hes right. U know better too. Its a two way street. Yes richt could be more creative but hes calling a game with handcuffs on & a straight jacket & underwater with sharks surrounding him. We will get no more out of rosier. He struggles with bubble screens for gods sake. How creative should richt be? We can run the most creative crap three incompletions in a row each series & get murdered cause our defense will stage a mutiny on the sidelines. Lets get a qb in who we can ask for more out of with a realistic expectation that he can complete the throws hes asked to make. Than judge cmr.

There we 3 scrimmages once practice officially started. Here is Rosier vs Perry in those scrimmages. Including the 1st scrimmage yesterday, these are the last 4 official scrimmages for UM.

Here is Malik's scrimmage results over the same 4 scrimmages as Perry.

8 of 17 109 yards 2 TDS 1 INT (scrimmage #4)

18 of 32 222 yards 2 TDS (scrimmage #3)

17 of 25 260 yards 2 TDS 1 INT (scrimmage #2)

8 of 14 181 yards 3 TDS (scrimmage #1)

Total = 51 of 88 (58%) 9 TDS 2 INT 772 YARDS

Here is Perry's scrimmage results.

6 of 13 33 yards 1 INT (scrimmage #4)

6 of 16 57 yards 2 INT (scrimmage #3)

6 of 12 88 yards 1 TD (scrimmage #2)

6 of 15 68 yards 1 INT (scrimmage #1)

Total = 24 of 56 (43%) 1 TDS 4 INT 237 YARDS
Im gonna do something im not supposed to... all i have to say. Nevermind wont let me post. It was a video from the scrimmage of rosier missing on 5 screen passes yesterday & 1 out that rosier threw like an underthrown hitch that gil picked off. At the very least be seriously encouraged how jeff will look this season on those screens...

Advertisement
Back