Scrimmage take...

You're so full of **** acting like our defense was bad. Does it need to improve in the redzone and on 3rd down, yes. Was it really good? yes. And We went four straight games of 4 Turnovers from week 6 to week 9, the teams being Syracuse, North Carolina, VTech, and ND - 2 of our biggest games of the season.

1st in Sacks per game.
3rd in total Turnovers Gained.
4th in TFLs per game.
11th in TDs allowed total.
12th in Yards per Play.
23rd in Defensive passing efficiency.
28th in Scoring Defense.

You talk about 3rd down defense, but did you know our defense faced the 4th MOST 3rd downs of ANY defense in the country. Its actually an interesting thing to know. It is no coincidence that the best defenses in the country are the ones that face the most 3rd downs. We had a 39% 3rd down%, while Bama had 35%. So imo we are really close, and it certainly wasn't as bad as you're making it out to seem. .... If we take ONLY the teams in the top 50 in 3rd downs faced, and bottom 50 in redzone attempts faced, only 13 P5 teams in the country are represented - Clemson, TCU, tOSU, UGA, Auburn, Bama, PSU, Washington, FSU, Purdue, Northwestern, Boston College, and Us. ....thats a pretty ******* elite list of defenses, is it not? The problem is we're last in 3rd down% amongst this group and bottom half in Redzone TD%. So obviously it needs to be improved, but stop ******* acting like we weren't one of the best defenses in the country. If our offense had been competent in the majority of these games, our defense would have had an easier job too, and likely performed better.

The FSU game we created 2 turnovers and held them to 3 points in the first 3 quarters. Then they scored 17 in the 4th. but did you watch the game? Do you remember how they scored both their TDs? They were both on Robert Knowles ******* up! The only reason he was playing was due to our starters injury. So your grand point is that our defense Dominated FSU over 75% of the game, then in the final quarter gave up some points over the **** up of ONE ****** *** backup player? Our defense worked exactly how it was supposed to. Yeah we gave up some yards, and they drove the field a couple times, but they didn't really score much at all. And Blackmon wasn't carving us up or anything. He had 5.5 adjusted yards/attempt which is horrible. ******* Rosier had 6.1 and he was terrible that game.
Blackmon had 1 possibly 2 semi good drives all game. The defense were running isnt ideally what manny wants to play. He wants a free safety we can trust in(in my opinion thatll be either gil or blades sooner rather than later)once we get that hes gonna cheat up the strong and jam the corners at the line.

Advertisement
The next shallow cross I see out of Mark Richt offense, since he started coaching here, will be the first.

I've been yelling for this since Coley was our OC. Our offense has and continue to ignore the middle of the field. We ran A FEW more slants last year, especially in the second half of the FSU game, but then after that it was sporadically called at best.

Slants and drags....they move the chains. Why the **** we don't incorporate them more as a staple of our offense, especially given our skill position talent level, continues to perplex me.

Not as much as you & I would like, but we ran shallows with Njoku in 15'.

Remember, shallow cross was a staple in Richt's earlier offenses...frankly, I think He's replaced the shallow with the bubble screen...can't run tunnels worth a **** though.

The next shallow cross I see out of Mark Richt offense, since he started coaching here, will be the first.

I've been yelling for this since Coley was our OC. Our offense has and continue to ignore the middle of the field. We ran A FEW more slants last year, especially in the second half of the FSU game, but then after that it was sporadically called at best.

Slants and drags....they move the chains. Why the **** we don't incorporate them more as a staple of our offense, especially given our skill position talent level, continues to perplex me.
Because thats more of our horribly innacurate qb having to throw with timing into the teeth of the defenses coverage... you really wanna see that happen. I dont think we as a fan base truly comprehend just how innacurate malik is as a qb. U wanna throw any timing routes into that as well(no matter how basic)

Because thats more of our horribly innacurate qb having to throw with timing into the teeth of the defenses coverage... you really wanna see that happen. I dont think we as a fan base truly comprehend just how innacurate malik is as a qb. U wanna throw any timing routes into that as well(no matter how basic)

Every time Ricth tried to open up the playbook, Rosier couldn't execute. Pfenniger wrote he counted 10 missed TD because Rosier couldn't get the ball out to the wide open receiver. I believe I counted 10 to Berrios alone. Mailik is a great kid, amazing gamer. But he's just not capable of sustained high level play. This is the first time I've ever been in agreement with running a TF QB. But if 1. Perry isn't ready (and Weldon clearly isn't), and 2. Williams continues to progress and show good accuracy and judgment, then we need to run with Williams. Rosier cannot be our starting QB after halftime against LSU. We have no chance of winning the ACC and getting into the playoffs with him at the helm.

Last edited:
Is the New OC going to be able to complete over 43% of his passes against Pitt?

You realize it’s very possible that Malik sucks as a QB and Richt sucks as an OC....right?

Y’all are acting like we set the world on fire with Kaaya.

He was infinitely better than Rosier and our offense was still pretty bland....with major stretches of inactivity in almost all games.

Advertisement

Exactly. This has been obvious for a year now, yet so many dumb fans on here can't comprehend it.

Our offense is simple AF because that is all our QB is capable of managing. Fans wanting us to throw these high risk passes right down the middle of the field with Malik fu****ing Rosier are just dumb plain and simple.

If you want to criticize Richt for not bringing in a QB that can diversify our offense, that is a legit complaint after this year, since by year 3, it is all on him to find one that can. But criticizing Richt for what happened last year is idiotic beyond comprehension.

If your QB isn’t a football junkie he isn’t going to succeed. Too much competition these days. I don’t claim to know about Perry or his prep habits, but if the rumors are true he’ll never hold onto the job even if falls into it by default (Rosier being awful).

Williams is a football guy. He’ll eventually eat Perry’s lunch if Perry isn’t a prep guy.

mods: someone tack franchise's note here to the top of the board, please. it needs to be burned into everyone's brain.

You realize it’s very possible that Malik sucks as a QB and Richt sucks as an OC....right?

Y’all are acting like we set the world on fire with Kaaya.

He was infinitely better than Rosier and our offense was still pretty bland....with major stretches of inactivity in almost all games.
We scored more points with Kaaya against a stronger schedule and avg 1 less turnover a game(defensively). In the 1st yr of Richt system. So we did with less oppyrtunites and less experience. Wasnt a fan of Kaaya because he sacked his self and folded under pressure.

I get the point of the defense. I just don't believe strategically, it's been accomplishing it's objectives. Piling up turnovers, TFLs , sacks, etc. against the likes of Bethune Cookman, Toledo, Duke, Syracuse look nice in the aggregate numbers. But the likes of Clemson, Wisconsin and other less "elite" teams have had their way with us. Even FSU, with a freshman QB, for the second year in a row, marched down the field late in the forth quarter for the go ahead touch down. Only last, year it took a miracle catch to win. And people are talking about challenging for the playoffs?

I don't care who the QB is. If the defense doesn't get stops when need them, particularly in the game critical situations, it doesn't matter.

So all the TOs against VTech and ND don’t count? (Didn’t we also get two against Clemson?)

Advertisement
This 4 Star Dobbins from OSU was elite last year. 2200 yards his HS sophomore year and 2700 his HS junior year. Only played one game his senior year, then rushed for more than 1400 yards as the second string true freshman RB at OSU. That guy just looked like a natural RB when I saw him run the first game against Oklahoma. Yearby was the closest to that since Duke in my opinion and Mark was starting to look the part. I am really curious to see Burns and Cam Davis run. I also want to see Deejay now that he has a season and a spring under his belt at RB. I haven’t seen Lingard run yet but sounds like Homer and him may have the same running style.

We scored more points with Kaaya against a stronger schedule and avg 1 less turnover a game(defensively). In the 1st yr of Richt system. So we did with less oppyrtunites and less experience. Wasnt a fan of Kaaya because he sacked his self and folded under pressure.

Not denying that. Just saying we would routinely stall out for full quarters at times....with a much better, relatively, quarterback.

Better skill position players too, imo.

I dont know why we dont run the shallow cross more. We did it against Duke and Ahmmon got an easy TD. I have seen multiple clips of the receivers practicing the release in spring though, which makes me optimistic we will be running it a lot this year. Jeff Thomas’ quickness off the line could obliterate defenses with the shallow cross. We could eat LSU alive with our receivers running that play.

The stuff about Richt not making it easy for Rosier is pretty funny though. Rosier is just an inaccurate QB. He threw 26 TDs last year. Kaaya threw 27 in 2016. 26 in 2015. Other than that, you have to go back to 2002 to find a miami QB who put up as many TDs. His yards were up there too.

I’m more concerned that we haven’t developed somebody clearly better than Rosier at this point but it’ll sort itself out. My biggest beef with Rosier in addition to his accuracy is how lazy he is running the offense. If you go back and watch even the ND game, he gets the team to the line so **** slow. It kills drives and is frustrating to watch.That needs to be fixed this year. Offense needs to run at a higher tempo.

Not as much as you & I would like, but we ran shallows with Njoku in 15'.

Remember, shallow cross was a staple in Richt's earlier offenses...frankly, I think He's replaced the shallow with the bubble screen...can't run tunnels worth a **** though.

Do me a favor and tell me EXACTLY what game that season you saw this "shallow cross" , and more or less what quarter it happened in said game.....because I don't remember it, AT ALL. I'm not even kidding. Point me in the direction of that shallow cross because I've watched every down of every game and I don't remember it.

If we did run that shallow cross, then it was "A" shallow cross as in maybe we ran ONE **** shallow cross, as in a singular shallow cross - not plural shallow crosses (es) that entire ******* season.

I'm fully aware it use to be the staple of his offenses BEFORE he got here, which makes their exclusion all the more baffling because it was THE biggest thing I was looking forward to when he took over. Since it's never materialized, yeah, I'm feeling quite a bit unsatisfied.

Advertisement
Do me a favor and tell me EXACTLY what game that season you saw this "shallow cross" , and more or less what quarter it happened in said game.....because I don't remember it, AT ALL. I'm not even kidding. Point me in the direction of that shallow cross because I've watched every down of every game and I don't remember it.

If we did run that shallow cross, then it was "A" shallow cross as in maybe we ran ONE **** shallow cross that entire season.

I'm fully aware it use to be the staple of his offenses BEFORE he got here, which makes their exclusion all the more baffling because it was THE biggest thing I was looking forward to when he took over. Since it's never materialized, yeah, I'm feeling quite a bit unsatisfied.

Richards scored a TD against Duke.

I couldn't disagree more with this entire post. I've watched, played and coached a ton of football my entire **** life and some of the easiest throws that ****** quarterbacks are asked to make, at every level, are short shallow crosses that are usually run UNDERNEATH the most basic of coverages. Most teams will GIVE you the shallow cross because they fear anything getting behind them. With the speed we have on the outside the shallow cross would be one of the THE most fundamentally simple and low risk passes we could possible run. Not to mention the fact it would help us play to one of our rosters strengths and that's the ability to make plays AFTER the catch while limiting how far you ask Rosier to throw the ball. It's a win-win.

Last edited:

If we did run that shallow cross, then it was "A" shallow cross as in maybe we ran ONE **** shallow cross, as in a singular shallow cross - not plural shallow crosses (es) that entire ******* season.

Walton at 00:10, Richards at 1:30...that's 2 in one game, and those are just the ones that went for big gains. I'm bored, but not bored enough to watch the whole game and get you a full count, but it looks like we do run them.

Advertisement
Richards scored a TD against Duke.

Yup, you're right just saw the highlight. The amount of room that was available, again given the talent we have outside, just further accentuates my point. The shallow cross should be the **** staple of this offense. Look at how much **** room Richards had to run on that throw. Half the guys on this board would have gotten at least 20-30 yards on that play.

Walton at 00:10, Richards at 1:30...that's 2 in one game, and those are just the ones that went for big gains. I'm bored, but not bored enough to watch the whole game and get you a full count, but it looks like we do run them.

We barely run them. You found one. Congrats. My point still stands.

Yup, you're right just saw the highlight. The amount of room that was available, again given the talent we have outside, just further accentuates my point. The shallow cross should be the **** staple of this offense. Look at how much **** room Richards had to run on that throw. Half the guys on this board would have gotten at least 20-30 yards on that play.

I agree. Richards and Thomas can murder people on that play.

Advertisement
Back