Scrimmage take...

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
Not gonna lie fellas, my buddy @cutdacheck and I left a little bummed after this practice/scrimmage, particularly about the offense.

Some thoughts...

*Perry's not the guy. I thought he looked okay a couple weeks ago but after seeing him in live action today it's no bueno. I know that's gonna disappoint a lot of people that thought he'd be our savior but i eluded to his flaws when watching his high school tape. He wasn't coached, he was playing junkyard ball. (toss it up!)
I'm gonna call this now - he will eventually be passed up by Williams and transfer. (joking, but not really) That's a little hyperbole but I do believe he will be passed by Williams. He's a massive project and rumor is that he doesn't even take anything seriously. (I think somebody stated that on here before as well) The lightbulb may turn on eventually but RIGHT NOW Williams shows more promise.

*Rosier. LOL. (that's all)

*Dallas was ballin today. I know some of us wanted to see him at WR or CB but he's a RB all day but should still be used all over the offense. He's a toolbox.

*None of the other RB's could find any running room. I was extremely impressed with Lingard a couple weeks ago but I left today's practice slightly underwhelmed. I found the flaw in his game today - he's got zero wiggle. They threw him several swing passes in the flats (and other than one time) he couldn't make the defender miss in the open field. Not only did he have the ball in the wrong arm at times but he doesn't use his arm length to keep tacklers away from his body. He allows a single defender to get into his personal space and bring him right to the ground. I still think he's elite but I see him as a slasher, he just needs a vertical crease to get going. I'm sure Coach Brown will refine these weaknesses though. Kid should still be in high school.

*Not a great day for Cager. Had a few catches but had a chance to bring down a fade in the endzone and dropped it. Not sure why we're throwing him bubble screens either. 🤔

*Jeff Thomas. 🔥 That is all.

*Our defense still can't cover the middle of the field. Just forget about it. It's always gonna be a weakness.

*Either our OL is complete trash or our DL is flat-out nasty. I think it's a bit of both. Ford and Willis looked great today and our DE rotation is SICK. Coach Simpson has got those boys playing lights out. Patchan and Rousseau were EATING today. Maybe I'm just excited but ***** it, I'm calling it now, Rousseau is only gonna be here 3 years and then he's going 1st round. (joking, but not really) Our QB's had no time to throw today.

*I know, I know... Mark Richt has been coaching for 78 years and blah blah blah. He needs to hire an OC. We show zero innovation on offense. Despite not having adequate time to throw, we made no effort to establish any "quick game". (I don't think I saw a hitch thrown all day) We also didn't roll the pocket one single time from my recollection. You have no time to throw + young inexperienced/inaccurate QB's...run some sprint-out and change his launching point...buy him some time to throw and give him easy reads. We don't really do a great job of utilizing space IMO.

*Saw our young LB's make a few plays. Jennings, Steed and Wilder.

*Harley caught a deep ball. He fast!

*Wiggins "Mossed" Ivey for a TD. It was nice.

*I thought our starting OL looked decent but anything outside of that... 👎 Not good.
Hillery is an impressive looking dude though! Needs to be one of the first players getting off the bus.

*Saw Lamar Miller, Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and "two zero E-Reed boiiiiii" out there today. That was cool.

That's about it off the top of my head.

Advertisement
Not gonna lie fellas, my buddy @cutdacheck and I left a little bummed after this practice/scrimmage, particularly about the offense.

Some thoughts...

*Perry's not the guy. I thought he looked okay a couple weeks ago but after seeing him in live action today it's no bueno. I know that's gonna disappoint a lot of people that thought he'd be our savior but i eluded to his flaws when watching his high school tape. He wasn't coached, he was playing junkyard ball. (toss it up!)
I'm gonna call this now - he will eventually be passed up by Williams and transfer. (joking, but not really) That's a little hyperbole but I do believe he will be passed by Williams. He's a massive project and rumor is that he doesn't even take anything seriously. (I think somebody stated that on here before as well) The lightbulb may turn on eventually but RIGHT NOW Williams shows more promise.

*Rosier. LOL. (that's all)

*Dallas was ballin today. I know some of us wanted to see him at WR or CB but he's a RB all day but should still be used all over the offense. He's a toolbox.

*None of the other RB's could find any running room. I was extremely impressed with Lingard a couple weeks ago but I left today's practice slightly underwhelmed. I found the flaw in his game today - he's got zero wiggle. They threw him several swing passes in the flats (and other than one time) he couldn't make the defender miss in the open field. Not only did he have the ball in the wrong arm at times but he doesn't use his arm length to keep tacklers away from his body. He allows a single defender to get into his personal space and bring him right to the ground. I still think he's elite but I see him as a slasher, he just needs a vertical crease to get going. I'm sure Coach Brown will refine these weaknesses though. Kid should still be in high school.

*Not a great day for Cager. Had a few catches but had a chance to bring down a fade in the endzone and dropped it. Not sure why we're throwing him bubble screens either. 🤔

*Jeff Thomas. 🔥 That is all.

*Our defense still can't cover the middle of the field. Just forget about it. It's always gonna be a weakness.

*Either our OL is complete trash or our DL is flat-out nasty. I think it's a bit of both. Ford and Willis looked great today and our DE rotation is SICK. Coach Simpson has got those boys playing lights out. Patchan and Rousseau were EATING today. Maybe I'm just excited but ***** it, I'm calling it now, Rousseau is only gonna be here 3 years and then he's going 1st round. (joking, but not really) Our QB's had no time to throw today.

*I know, I know... Mark Richt has been coaching for 78 years and blah blah blah. He needs to hire an OC. We show zero innovation on offense. Despite not having adequate time to throw, we made no effort to establish any "quick game". (I don't think I saw a hitch thrown all day) We also didn't roll the pocket one single time from my recollection. You have no time to throw + young inexperienced/inaccurate QB's...run some sprint-out and change his launching point...buy him some time to throw and give him easy reads. We don't really do a great job of utilizing space IMO.

*Saw our young LB's make a few plays. Jennings, Steed and Wilder.

*Harley caught a deep ball. He fast!

*Wiggins "Mossed" Ivey for a TD. It was nice.

*I thought our starting OL looked decent but anything outside of that... 👎 Not good.
Hillery is an impressive looking dude though! Needs to be one of the first players getting off the bus.

*Saw Lamar Miller, Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and "two zero E-Reed boiiiiii" out there today. That was cool.

That's about it off the top of my head.

Scaife /Boulware coming

It sounds like the tackles were getting abused. Scaife and Boulware probably aren’t helping there.

Good stuff Macho. Gotta remember it’s the first scrimmage with only a few practices in pads. Need to install complexity over time, so of course it will be vanilla making it easier for the defenses to anticipate. I’m not going to get worked up by any of this just yet... love hearing more confirmation on Williams, Wiggins, Rousseau. I’m okay with a TF at QB if necessary and he proves better than our other options.

Thanks for the info @Coach Macho. That does seem to be the read on Perry. Plenty of talent, but little consistency or urgency despite the obvious opportunity. I'm not super worried about the run game/blocking. Replacing a couple starters and shifting cats around to develop a cohesive unit takes time. Spring practice is usually not pretty in that regard.

Advertisement
Good stuff Macho. Gotta remember it’s the first scrimmage with only a few practices in pads. Need to install complexity over time, soon of course it will be vanilla making it easier for the defenses to anticipate. I’m not going to get worked up by any of this just yet... love hearing more confirmation on Williams, Wiggins, Rousseau. I’m okay with a TF at QB if necessary and he proves better than our other options.
Ditto Rousseau. That guy has my full attention. Excited to see how Nesta and Miller add to the D Line unit as well.

Maybe its Richt's dumb offense that is limiting these QBs, because so far every QB has been trash.

Rosier- can't seem to figure it out (won't blame Richt here cause Rosier just might not have the talent to play at a P5 school)

Allison - recruited by Golden, but kept by Richt. Supposedly sucked and transferred to WVU (coaches are raving about him there)

Perry - was Mark and Jon Richt's "guy", but he can't beat out ****** ****** Rosier

Williams - too soon to know

If we look bad again on offense this year, its time to hire an OC

Advertisement
410.gif

The starting OL did pretty well. I don't recall Garvin or Jackson getting near the QB.
But outside of that 1st unit, it's a dumpster fire.

That's on Richt and Searles if the 2nd/3rd team OL sucks that bad.. No more blaming Golden's players and depth.

We've recruited studs at the OL the last 2 years (Gaynor, Hillery, Herbert, Campbell, Scaife, Donaldson, etc.). If we don't have a solid two units this year, thats on the coaches and development

Advertisement
Maybe its Richt's dumb offense that is limiting these QBs, because so far every QB has been trash.

Rosier- can't seem to figure it out (won't blame Richt here cause Rosier just might not have the talent to play at a P5 school)

Allison - recruited by Golden, but kept by Richt. Supposedly sucked and transferred to WVU (coaches are raving about him there)

Perry - was Mark and Jon Richt's "guy", but he can't beat out ****** ****** Rosier

Williams - too soon to know

If we look bad again on offense this year, its time to hire an OC
Allison's still sitting on the bench though, but yes it's starting to reveal itself about their recruiting.

Advertisement
Allison's still sitting on the bench though, but yes it's starting to reveal itself about their recruiting.
He's behind one of the best QBs in the country though. Jack won their scout POY last year and has looked good from what I've heard. We'll see how he continues develop and when he gets some mop up duty but I think he'll enjoy two good years as a starter

Jovanni Haskins is on their team as well. They haven't utilized the TE much before but he could start for them this year and make that a bigger role in their offense. We could really be using him right now.

Last edited:
If your QB isn’t a football junkie he isn’t going to succeed. Too much competition these days. I don’t claim to know about Perry or his prep habits, but if the rumors are true he’ll never hold onto the job even if falls into it by default (Rosier being awful).

Williams is a football guy. He’ll eventually eat Perry’s lunch if Perry isn’t a prep guy.

All due respect, saying this in the nicest possible way, you are overthinking a meh first scrimmage. Over-analysis. As in, they got a lot of shlt to work on. Now if this is how it’s looking scrimmage 3. I’ll buy in more. Also, no credi to the D?

The Perry prep stuff...who knows? Time will tell. Could be bs could be true. I’m not buying until I see more.

Sorry, but too early to take seriously.

Advertisement
Back