Scrimmage take...

The other school Perry heavily considered was Louisville and at the time I mentioned that his style seemed to fit them better.

The more we hear/see of him I believe it's just not a good scheme fit, Richts system isn't designed for a QB to be creative or improvise. It's based on understanding and mastering his pro style system. Processing information and making pre snap reads. Richt would like the QB to be able to make a play with his legs if things breakdown but not dance around in the backfield.

It's Still early, so Perry may develop and continue to understand Richts system better. But he wasn't studying how to be QB until he got here so it's not that he can't eventually fit the system, it just going to take a lot longer than we all want.

It does seem Williams came into camp with a lot of knowledge and working with a QB coach in Georgia obviously helped him. So I won't be surprised if he grasps the system before Nkosi does.

Advertisement
Good stuff and acknowledging its a first scrimmage, I was hopping to hear a little more excitement than just Dallas, Thomas and maybe the young LBs. Yeah, well, I'll leave with the starting O-Line looking OK, I think ... "(joking, but not really)" nomsayin? But hurried Qs and not adjusting the passing game to check that, was a large part of the problem last 3 games last season. Can't end up right back there this season, or that optimism wave we're riding is gonna flatten out on the beach.

And man I hate hearing about open receivers in the middle of the field, for me that's a reoccurring nightmare of that last game in the OB - the defense and Donna shoulda given the Rock his check back that night, they were so bad covering TEs and anything over the middle. I mean we have to break that cycle, of some OC who may have been dead for ten years and they dust off his playbook with the sticky note "How to beat Miami" and four or five formations for throwing over the middle.

Not gonna lie fellas, my buddy @cutdacheck and I left a little bummed after this practice/scrimmage, particularly about the offense.

Some thoughts...

*Perry's not the guy. I thought he looked okay a couple weeks ago but after seeing him in live action today it's no bueno. I know that's gonna disappoint a lot of people that thought he'd be our savior but i eluded to his flaws when watching his high school tape. He wasn't coached, he was playing junkyard ball. (toss it up!)
I'm gonna call this now - he will eventually be passed up by Williams and transfer. (joking, but not really) That's a little hyperbole but I do believe he will be passed by Williams. He's a massive project and rumor is that he doesn't even take anything seriously. (I think somebody stated that on here before as well) The lightbulb may turn on eventually but RIGHT NOW Williams shows more promise.

*Rosier. LOL. (that's all)

*Dallas was ballin today. I know some of us wanted to see him at WR or CB but he's a RB all day but should still be used all over the offense. He's a toolbox.

*None of the other RB's could find any running room. I was extremely impressed with Lingard a couple weeks ago but I left today's practice slightly underwhelmed. I found the flaw in his game today - he's got zero wiggle. They threw him several swing passes in the flats (and other than one time) he couldn't make the defender miss in the open field. Not only did he have the ball in the wrong arm at times but he doesn't use his arm length to keep tacklers away from his body. He allows a single defender to get into his personal space and bring him right to the ground. I still think he's elite but I see him as a slasher, he just needs a vertical crease to get going. I'm sure Coach Brown will refine these weaknesses though. Kid should still be in high school.

*Not a great day for Cager. Had a few catches but had a chance to bring down a fade in the endzone and dropped it. Not sure why we're throwing him bubble screens either. 🤔

*Jeff Thomas. 🔥 That is all.

*Our defense still can't cover the middle of the field. Just forget about it. It's always gonna be a weakness.

*Either our OL is complete trash or our DL is flat-out nasty. I think it's a bit of both. Ford and Willis looked great today and our DE rotation is SICK. Coach Simpson has got those boys playing lights out. Patchan and Rousseau were EATING today. Maybe I'm just excited but ***** it, I'm calling it now, Rousseau is only gonna be here 3 years and then he's going 1st round. (joking, but not really) Our QB's had no time to throw today.

*I know, I know... Mark Richt has been coaching for 78 years and blah blah blah. He needs to hire an OC. We show zero innovation on offense. Despite not having adequate time to throw, we made no effort to establish any "quick game". (I don't think I saw a hitch thrown all day) We also didn't roll the pocket one single time from my recollection. You have no time to throw + young inexperienced/inaccurate QB's...run some sprint-out and change his launching point...buy him some time to throw and give him easy reads. We don't really do a great job of utilizing space IMO.

*Saw our young LB's make a few plays. Jennings, Steed and Wilder.

*Harley caught a deep ball. He fast!

*Wiggins "Mossed" Ivey for a TD. It was nice.

*I thought our starting OL looked decent but anything outside of that... 👎 Not good.
Hillery is an impressive looking dude though! Needs to be one of the first players getting off the bus.

*Saw Lamar Miller, Sean Spence, Travis Benjamin and "two zero E-Reed boiiiiii" out there today. That was cool.

That's about it off the top of my head.
basically the same stuff we been saying about perry and cager for years. thanks for the observation.

Advertisement
"*Perry's not the guy. I thought he looked okay a couple weeks ago but after seeing him in live action today it's no bueno. I know that's gonna disappoint a lot of people that thought he'd be our savior but i eluded to his flaws when watching his high school tape. He wasn't coached, he was playing junkyard ball. (toss it up!) "

But but but, someone has a 5 second clip of him doing a juke move last year in practice. For this reason he is a sure fire starter, and certainly better than everyone else on the roster. Didn't you get the memo?

Seriously, though, far too many people crowned Perry before he set foot on campus. Then he started hanging out "practicing" with Winston. I'm not sure what the **** he was learning from that *** clown, but it must have been how to enjoy college life, not read a D. Maybe where to shop for crab legs?

@Coach Macho summed up it well.

- Breakdown of TDs/INTs (from what I could see)- Rosier pretty TD to Harley up seam, short fade TD to Wiggins, INT to Frierson. Perry TD run, INT to Derrick Smith off tipped ball. Williams two TDs to Jeff Thomas.

- My biggest takeaway was Jarren Williams. He gets better every time I see him. He split his reps between the 3rd team (7-on-7, mostly walk-ons) and the 2nd team. He completed balls with both units. Saw him drill a ball outside the numbers from the opposite hash and hit Thomas twice for pretty TDs. The ball comes out quick and accurate. Love his decisiveness. He threw a strike to Hightower on 3rd down which stood out to me. There is a TON of football left (and the QBs aren't getting hit), but Williams neds to be taken seriously as a potential starting QB this season.

- The DEs are very impressive. Rousseau dominated, Patchan abused Herbert and Garvin made his usual plays. The thing I noticed about Rousseau is that he made a bunch of plays against the run. He can get low and tackle like a little guy, and he covers so much ground with his length and COD whether it's backside or playside.

- The OL had a rough day. It was a rotating door at RT. I saw Brown, Campbell, Herbert, Hillary, Mahoney and Gauthier there (I may have missed somebody). Campbell is going to be good but struggled today. We looked the best when Gauthier moved to RT in the second half. Watch that going forward.

- Rosier and Perry both struggled. Rosier missed a lot of open guys, even if he had time. He did hit a nice pass to Thomas. Perry had the worst protection but also missed easy throws. I remember one to Cager on a rollout that was ugly. He should have more command at this point. He did make some nice plays with his legs.

- Gilbert Frierson flashed. He followed up an INT with a breakup and a physical tackle. Like his energy.

No need to overreact, we stayed healthy and there is talent all over the field. Spring scrimmages are about learning and putting players in the right seat on the bus.

Advertisement
I guess cause I’m older I feel this way. And it’s easy to get swept up with the Miami lifestyle as a teen. But you have the opportunity to be a starting qb in NCAA football with the canes nonetheless. Yet you wanna be lazy with your craft. I don’t get it.

The other school Perry heavily considered was Louisville and at the time I mentioned that his style seemed to fit them better.

The more we hear/see of him I believe it's just not a good scheme fit, Richts system isn't designed for a QB to be creative or improvise. It's based on understanding and mastering his pro style system. Processing information and making pre snap reads. Richt would like the QB to be able to make a play with his legs if things breakdown but not dance around in the backfield.

It's Still early, so Perry may develop and continue to understand Richts system better. But he wasn't studying how to be QB until he got here so it's not that he can't eventually fit the system, it just going to take a lot longer than we all want.

It does seem Williams came into camp with a lot of knowledge and working with a QB coach in Georgia obviously helped him. So I won't be surprised if he grasps the system before Nkosi does.

And it also seems from reports that he came from a pretty competitive HS league and had solid hs coaching. don't forget he also had a really good showing at the Elite 11 and the Army All American bowl. He definitely came into this with a bigger resume and solid experience.

Thanks coach. I'm not so unimpressed with Perry as I am very impressed with our true Williams. Malik will be our guy to start he season. Get used to it. I think Williams will not be redshirted whether he starts or not. That gives us a good story to tell the Oregon kid who could redshirt and still have two to start.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I thought the starting OL did pretty well. I don't recall Garvin or Jackson getting near the QB. I know some reports may conflict with that though.
Outside of that 1st unit, it's a dumpster fire.

Hope it’s just inexperience with the second unit. Most are true or Redshirt Freshmen.

My biggest complaint about Perry is he couldn't beat a horrible Sherriffs for #2. Neither could Weldon.

Advertisement
For me, the biggest red flag from Coach’s post is the zero creativity on Offense. Our Offense is flat and our QB’s have zero time to throw the ball yet we continue to run a predictable Offense. ******* brilliant...

Dmoney posted that both Rosier and Perry missed open guys multiple times. Richt isn’t Lincoln Riley but if our QBs can make the easy throws to open guys we’ll be lighting up the scoreboard. Our problem right now is execution, not creativity.

Advertisement
Back