Scrimmage take...

Advertisement
I think that's another example of recruiting someone who doesn't fit your style of Offence. LSU was trying to run a pro style O with a scrambling Qb and Harris was screwed because of it. its almost as if you are trying to teach them to stop using their greatest attribute. By the time he got to UNC that poor kid didn't know what he was.

Richt is going to have to look at what Bill O'Brien did with D. Watson this year and change the play calling to utilize Perrys skill set. Otherwise he's a long term project IMO

Williams suits the style Richt runs better. But I doubt he's ready for LSU.
Or Harris was just overrated and sucks and guys with great physical tools don’t always turn out to be good college QBs.

Is he still not a true freshman?. Yall actin like this is the kids 3rd year. Its the first spring scrimmage of his FRESHMAN year...who gives a f..richt is starting Rosier regardless.
He’s a RS Freshmans. He shouldn’t be playing like **** in scrimmages if he’s going to be a top QB. He should be flashing right now. There are RS Fr who have won NCs.

Advertisement
dont say it too loud..i said it during the season and the richt rovers was sending shots at my head.

Any one who really knows offense...knows that we really dont utilize our guys to full potential or put defenses ont heir heels.

your idea for creativity cannot just be a bubble screen. Was really hoping we brought in an offensive guy for another edge on offense because for the most part...aint no one bringing in new ideas..the main guys are richt disciples or his son
I kinda agree, but at the same time, I think the offensive scheme really wasn't the problem. Would I prefer Mark Richt to be ******* Sean McVay out there coaching crazy *** schemes and plays to attack the mismatches and ****, of course!

But The offense we run, especially if we go at a pretty high pace, can definitely work. The only question is can the OL do their job and is our QB competent. Thats really it imo. We are going to continuously have elite Skill position players at RB, WR, and TE. The only question is if our OL can be above average and if our QB is ******* trash like Rosier or not....I mean think about it, with an OL that could barely run block, and a QB that couldn't even complete > 50% of his passes, we still ran the table (with injuries to our 2 best players - Walton and Richards) till the final 3 games, and we all saw how we were rolling vs Vtech and ND - even with rosier playing like ****..

So I dont think Richts offense is anything special, but i think it works....the real problem is when we dont have that good OL or good qb, he isnt scheming around it well enough. and thats the problem. But hopefully we are getting to the point this yr or next yr where we dont need that. and i think we're close.

Mann listen. I'm going to be on Richt's *** this year about the play calling. I think enough people have seen me post know how patient I was about the offense/playcalling because I wanted to at least give Richt time to recruit. Well it been 3 classes to recruit OL including 2 hand selected QBs, loaded blue chips at RB and WR so no excuses.

Banners being generated. Hire a good OC.

Advertisement
I kinda agree, but at the same time, I think the offensive scheme really wasn't the problem. Would I prefer Mark Richt to be ******* Sean McVay out there coaching crazy *** schemes and plays to attack the mismatches and ****, of course!

But The offense we run, especially if we go at a pretty high pace, can definitely work. The only question is can the OL do their job and is our QB competent. Thats really it imo. We are going to continuously have elite Skill position players at RB, WR, and TE. The only question is if our OL can be above average and if our QB is ******* trash like Rosier or not....I mean think about it, with an OL that could barely run block, and a QB that couldn't even complete > 50% of his passes, we still ran the table (with injuries to our 2 best players - Walton and Richards) till the final 3 games, and we all saw how we were rolling vs Vtech and ND - even with rosier playing like ****..

So I dont think Richts offense is anything special, but i think it works....the real problem is when we dont have that good OL or good qb, he isnt scheming around it well enough. and thats the problem. But hopefully we are getting to the point this yr or next yr where we dont need that. and i think we're close.

It's hard to scheme around an OL that doesn't get any push and QBs that can't execute even the simplest plays. And from the sounds of it, we still don't have any offensive tackles and the QBs are still erratic as ****.

We just have to let this play out and see what develops. At this point, the defense should be ahead of the offense. My biggest concern is that even with erratic QBs and not TEs (yet), the defense still can't cover the middle of the field. I can't believe it because we don't have the skillsets. It make me think that schematically, Diaz still doesn't get it.

Advertisement
It's hard to scheme around an OL that doesn't get any push and QBs that can't execute even the simplest plays. And from the sounds of it, we still don't have any offensive tackles and the QBs are still erratic as ****.

We just have to let this play out and see what develops. At this point, the defense should be ahead of the offense. My biggest concern is that even with erratic QBs and not TEs (yet), the defense still can't cover the middle of the field. I can't believe it because we don't have the skillsets. It make me think that schematically, Diaz still doesn't get it.
Schematically Diaz's defense is literally built around the concept of trying to create as much havoc as possible (TFLs, Sacks, Turnovers, etc) while also limiting the big plays. In a nutshell that is his entire defensive philosophy. What that means is we are just going to give up yards. This is just whats going to happen man. The hope is that we cause so much havoc and prevent the big plays enough that even if they get a couple easy firsts that we will eventually make a play on 1st or 2nd down that puts them into a corner of 2nd/3rd and 10+.

So Complaining about our defense giving up yards, is kinda pointless. Its literally the philosophy. We go for the big plays, while making absolutely sure not to give any big ones up. The hole is some easy yards sometimes. And that just something we're going to have to live with. Last year it worked how it was supposed to. The offense just could never ******* capitalize.

Hope it’s just inexperience with the second unit. Most are true or Redshirt Freshmen.

Exactly. JJ and Garvin are NFL pass rushers. I don't expect Hillery, Herbert, Campbell,
Schematically Diaz's defense is literally built around the concept of trying to create as much havoc as possible (TFLs, Sacks, Turnovers, etc) while also limiting the big plays. In a nutshell that is his entire defensive philosophy. What that means is we are just going to give up yards. This is just whats going to happen man. The hope is that we cause so much havoc and prevent the big plays enough that even if they get a couple easy firsts that we will eventually make a play on 1st or 2nd down that puts them into a corner of 2nd/3rd and 10+.

So Complaining about our defense giving up yards, is kinda pointless. Its literally the philosophy. We go for the big plays, while making absolutely sure not to give any big ones up. The hole is some easy yards sometimes. And that just something we're going to have to live with. Last year it worked how it was supposed to. The offense just could never ******* capitalize.

How could you be so right on this point and so stupid on the recruiting forum is something i i will never understand.

If we had even a decent offense, we'd have gone 12-1 last year.

Can't wait for people to start predicting a 6 or 7 loss season based on these practice takes, just like they did last year.

I'd love to see Macho attend a LSU practice and give us feedback. People overreact because they have nothing to compare it to. UF, FSU, LSU all look terrible in the Spring too, if you check their message boards.

It's just funny, people losing their minds over Spring practice they can't even see

Advertisement

It's not about giving up yards. I really not concerned about getting beat deep. There are not too many teams on our schedule that physically have the speed to beat us deep consistently. When it's happened, it's usually been due to a breakdown in coverage. It's like in baseball, having your centerfielder play shallow. He'll pick off more base hits for outs than have balls hit over his head. However, when a Mickey Mantle or Willie McCovey came up, you can still shade the centerfielder deeper.

It's about getting off the field. The whole intent of an attacking defense is to get the offense into unfavorable situations in the later downs. Sure, you can pick up some cheap points on turnovers (which are bound to happen) but if you don't seal the deal on third down what's the point. How many times did we see the defense play great on first and second down only to see some freshman QB throw a 10 yard seam pass to a short white guy for a first down. Look at our third down percentages. We were gashed there all year, even in games we won.

Yeap. After all, anyone can win the coastal at Miami. We win it every year and beat FSU too. I mean we have that unbroken string of ACC title game appearances going back like 12 years now, right. No reason to even consider keeping last year’s starter.
It's a good thing we beat the **** out of Pitt, too.

Advertisement
Back