Scrimmage news

Advertisement
If you’re bent on using last season as your only evidence, then Rosier was better than all his backups last season. As bad as he was at times he was still better than Perry and Weldon. See why that’s a dumb way to go about deciding the QB THIS SEASON?

Let Rick pick the QB this season based on who’s best this season.
According to everyone that sees the team year in and year out Rosiers improvement was huge last spring/fall

Why are we assuming he’s maxed out? Not only that he’s got tons of competition on his heels. Clearly we can get much better QB play than we did last year but why can’t it be from Malik himself? Such a bizarre train of thought to just assume he has no room for improvement.

Advertisement
You may disagree with his opinions, but @Brooklyndee is providing facts.

I agree with you, Dee. I think the worst case scenario is a platoon. The guy that could rise fast is Williams.

Respectfully, D, you always default to the young bucks. At this time last year, you were certain Perry would be our starter. I'll hold you to that eval from last year, and would like to see Richt work through and around Perry's cerebral limitations. I think Perry gives us a better chance (and future) than what we have with Rosier's physical limitations, and a better chance than Williams from a leadership and confidence perspective.

ok... after reading the last 4 pages, I can say I have changed my opinion.

Instead of trying to E-will Perry into the starter role, I am happy with whomever CMR picks for the job. Reason being is this:

Whoever wins it will have an unbelievably short leash.

Ex: if Malik wins, and lays an egg or two, or has us in the **** at the half vs LSU, I think there will be a low tolerance for bull**** based on him having the most experience. It is already a shaky situation giving him the keys, and if he ***** up with all the history, I think a quick move will be made.

Next scenario: If Perry/Weldon/Williams win the job, they are massively inexperienced. This is no excuse (see: Alabama), but if said rook blows a few key plays or has us in the **** vs LSU, put in your maligned, experienced, former starter in to try to get a spark. At least in this case we know who he is putting in has won games.

All that being said....

The development of the offensive line, a FULL stable of RBs, fullback(s) and TEs will be more important to success than elite QB play this year, mark my words.

Respectfully, D, you always default to the young bucks. At this time last year, you were certain Perry would be our starter. I'll hold you to that eval from last year, and would like to see Richt work through and around Perry's cerebral limitations. I think Perry gives us a better chance (and future) than what we have with Rosier's physical limitations, and a better chance than Williams from a leadership and confidence perspective.
How can you make a judgement on Williams leadership? The kid has been on the field for 5 practices and gets to throw mainly to the equipment staff. I think he has actually shown great leadership in the fact he has taken it upon himself to work with outside QB coach on the weekends and by players and Richt's own admission, bury himself in the playbook from day 1 on campus. At the very least it shows a real determination to be a factor in this decision - I don't think Jarren came to sit on the bench. The other thing Jarren has going for him is his recent experience in the Army All American bowl- the kid got many very positive reviews about his performance and his leadership and chemistry with the team during both practice and the game.

We are all going to have to wait this out- as much as it may kill us!

Advertisement

Instead of trying to E-will Perry into the starter role, I am happy with whomever CMR picks for the job. Reason being is this:

I think you're dead accurate on the short leash comment. If LEM starts, he's not going to have the benefit of the long leash he had last year. Rick knew last year that if he yanked LEM he'd have to trot out The World's Tallest Midget. And we saw what an abject disaster he was.

I actually think LEM could be deadly as a late inning replacement Don Strock type guy if one of the young guys gets the start and falters. His low pulse rate is perfect for closing, as we saw when he taunted the crowd at Dork Cumbag Stadium last year.

Advertisement
The Syracuse game might have been Rosier's best game. Richards couldn't catch malaria in a Vietnamese jungle that day.

I'm honestly a little worried with unc for some reason we always struggle and that coach always tries some bush league stuff against us

UNC is always going to be somewhat of a threat because they recruit at that 20 to 25 range. Meaning during the Golden and Shannon years they were about at our level, and even with elevated recruiting under Richt, you still got to bring the A game or that level of talent can beat you.

I don't think it's accepted, and my post didn't say anything about it. Like I said at the end, there's still a long way to go until Sept. 2, and there's plenty of time for Perry to win the job.

My problem -- and what I was getting at in my post -- is that people are equating "Rosier winning the job" with "the staff is blind" and/or "we gon' suck." I disagree with that, namely because (1) its up to Perry to supplant the starter, not the staff to hand him the job, and (2) with Rosier, as limited as he is, we know what our floor could be, whereas we don't know the same with Perry. Rushing Perry out there could be a LOT worse than going with one more season with Rosier, as it could cost us more games this year and destroy Perry's confidence for the rest of his career here.

Let's let this play out. If Perry makes it so the staff can't keep him off the field, cool. I hope that happens.
With all due respect to Perry, if he doesn’t beat out Rosier this year he can forget about next season. I believe Jarren Williams will pass him over by next year.

Advertisement

Ex: if Malik wins, and lays an egg or two, or has us in the **** at the half vs LSU, I think there will be a low tolerance for bull**** based on him having the most experience. It is already a shaky situation giving him the keys, and if he ***** up with all the history, I think a quick move will be made.

Next scenario: If Perry/Weldon/Williams win the job, they are massively inexperienced. This is no excuse (see: Alabama), but if said rook blows a few key plays or has us in the **** vs LSU, put in your maligned, experienced, former starter in to try to get a spark. At least in this case we know who he is putting in has won games.

All that being said....

The development of the offensive line, a FULL stable of RBs, fullback(s) and TEs will be more important to success than elite QB play this year, mark my words.

While I agree, the offense, specifically at QB, is going to eventually have to pull its weight. We can't keep going 3 and out with a defense that just lost 6 starters/reserves. With the talent we have on offense anything less than 29 ppg would be a disappointment.

How can you make a judgement on Williams leadership? The kid has been on the field for 5 practices and gets to throw mainly to the equipment staff. ... We are all going to have to wait this out- as much as it may kill us!

Agree. But even if the kid is a natural (sounds like it), Williams first has to earn the respect of the team. It's not just about him and his internal character, it's about how he interacts with the players, and how they grow to respect him relative to Rosier, Perry and Weldon. That takes time. Perry had 8 months jump start, Weldon a year and Rosier 4.

I won't be the one saying it. It will be the coaches. You know, the guys who get paid to know who's good and who isn't? Follow your own logic. Rosier is bad, but so far Perry hasn't won the job. If when Rosier--who is terrible, remember--leaves the program we're forced to hand the reigns over to someone who could never wrestle the starting job away from such a terrible QB, we're going to be better?

I wan't somebody to WIN the job. I don't care who. But I'm not foolish enough to anoint someone who has never taken a snap to replace a Senior with an 11-3 record as a starter.
You’re making it seem like Rosier has been starting for 3 yrs and is such a great Qb. Like if what he said after the Pitt game never happened. So what if he’s a senior. I also want one of the others to win the job outright. But you sound foolish mentioning he’s a Senior and plastering an 11-3 record like if he was the reason the team won the games. With an accurate Qb those close games would’ve been blowouts and we would have definitely have beaten Pitt and Wisconsin. We where up 17 vs Wisconsin and your Bff Rosier gave the game away. So stop it. Was Saban a fool to replace his two year starter who had already won a title for a freshman?

UNC is always going to be somewhat of a threat because they recruit at that 20 to 25 range. Meaning during the Golden and Shannon years they were about at our level, and even with elevated recruiting under Richt, you still got to bring the A game or that level of talent can beat you.
Good point yea not a team you can sleep walk into like last year .. Think our team took their decimated team for granted and got challenged but I think we will be ready and stomp them

Advertisement
Back