Scrimmage news

I agree but the schedule isn’t going to be stronger, VT lost a lot on defense, UNC isn’t getting better, and GT is still the same team we should have blown out last year, outside of that i agree cant have malik out there the whole year teams caught on to him at the end of the year
I'm honestly a little worried with unc for some reason we always struggle and that coach always tries some bush league stuff against us

Advertisement
Let's just, for the sake of argument, give you this one. Rosier is objectively terrible, worst QB for Miami in a decade, whatever you want to say about him; let's assume it's true.

What does it say about Perry's current status of development if he can't beat THAT guy out? Isn't that a huge concern?

Look, I'm not trying to be difficult, and I've been pretty clear on this board that we need for better QB play this coming season for the Canes to be a top 5-10 threat. But I'm just very, very, very concerned that most reports from camp so far have been somewhat lukewarm on Perry, and I'm struggling with the idea of just throwing him out there "to see what happens." I don't equate "someone else besides Rosier" as, like you say "an average ACC QB." There's a chance that Perry just isn't ready, and the season goes off the wheels.

We WANT Perry to be the guy. We WANT him to figure it out. I think that's pretty much a consensus on this board, no? But this is also Division 1 football; you don't anoint starters, and not everyone gets to play. With Rosier, our floor is probably a 9-win team, especially against next year's schedule. And it's a big risk if you're sacrificing that floor for a relative unknown in Perry. That worries me.
If Richt goes with Rosier its because he doesn't want to take risks - he's going with the known commodity (who is ****) and experience, over one of the younger guys just because he doesn't want to go through freshman mistakes. I think that is absolutely the wrong decision. If Rosier "wins" the starting job, its not because he was outright better than Perry/Weldon/Jarren in all aspects of being a QB. In fact we know 100% that Perry has a stronger arm, and is more accurate. We literally already know that. The question that Richt harps on, and its obviously a big one, is who has the best grasp of the offense and can read a defense best. So Richt may go with the "safe" choice in Rosier because he's in his ******* 5th year and ran the offense for a full season last yr. But that doesn't mean it was the right choice. I'm saying that just because Rosier has a better understanding of the Offense/Defense it shouldn't win him the job.

Lets say these reports are true, and Perry doesn't know the offense or how to read a defense as well as Rosier (not exactly surprising given this is Rosiers 5th year). That still is not a good enough reason to choose Rosier as our QB. I've literally already shown statistically what we have in Rosier. The ONLY thing he's done that is not complete **** is throw a high TD% and I'm not exaggerating one bit, I've already showed it. Perry is still the smarter play, because he can learn during the season. Rosier isn't going to improve over the season, because he's already reached his potential. Perry or the other 2 haven't even scratched the surface yet. And 3 out of our 4 first games are warm up games, and the LSU game really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things (I think we'd still win with whoever at QB). Point is the three frosh are a little riskier because they will make the bad frosh decisions, but Rosier is still soo ******* bad that he shouldn't be the starter no matter what.

So Perry could "lose" the QB competition due to Richt not wanting to take the risk of a young QB, but it doesn't make his decision the right one. Yes there absolutely would be some struggles for Perry along the way. Thats what happens every time a Freshman is thrown into the fire. But Perry is the better choice to QB this team over Rosier. There is no actual benefit to having Rosier be our Qb over Perry. Its not like Rosier is peyton manning making great reads. Secondly even if Rosier is better at making reads, he's so inaccurate that it doesn't even matter. Maybe Perry will be limited to 2 reads the entire first half of the season.....well the offense would still be better doing that than going with a guy who can't even complete 50% of his passes.

This isn't like we are discussing going with a game manager in Alex Smith over Kaepernick, where its an actual difficult situation. No, this is like choosing between Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson, where Tom Savage is ******* terrible, and Deshaun Watson has way more potential but is a riskier play because his understanding of the offense and NFL defenses is obviously not going to be all that high as a rookie. I think this is a good way to look at this QB competition we face. Savage won that competition too, and look what happened - the known **** Qb was ****. And the Qb with way more potential and that was a riskier play went through some valleys, but the peaks were well worth it, and he continued to improve as the season went on.... People are acting like Rosier is Alex Smith, when hes not. If that were the case and Rosier were actually a good decision maker and was accurate, I'd be all about starting Rosier. But hes not! I absolutely think if the Only think Rosier is better at in practice right now is diagnosing Coverages and knowing the playbook, then Perry/Weldon/Jarren should be named the starter

I think it's unfair to entirely remove the ND and Va Tech games, because he deserves credit for bringing it during those games. But for argument's sake I'll give it to you. I also don't count the Bethune Cookman, since it was a glorified scrimmage.

I thought he was excellent against Toledo, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

I thought he was effective against UNC, UVA and Duke, and had some really good throws in Durham (including an outstanding sideline anticipation pass to Berrios and another score on a skinny post to BB) but some flat out bad throws as well (including an overshot on Richards).

I thought he was ineffective against FSU but showed a lot in leading two scoring drives in the 4th quarter on the road, against a rival, in a hostile environment, and I thought he was flat out bad in the last three games of the season.

If he can be the steady, effective player he was throughout the start of the season, I think we can improve upon last season. I'm also fine with Perry beating him out, if that indeed occurs. But I'm very much against anointing Perry as the starter because I think his growing pains could be much, much worse than most people are anticipating here.

Just my two cents. Perfectly fine being wrong on this one.
Omfg, I literally already did the statistical breakdowns of the FSU, VTech, and ND game and showed that he was complete *** those games. Just so you can see it, I'll post it again. IN orange is Rosiers averaged performance over those 3 games. In green is the average performance of ACC Qbs (who weren't even very good this season) not including rosier. Using this you can clearly see that Rosier was ******* trash at EVERY SINGLE STAT except for TD%.
c5f2e1140015563dd0b9b5a20cff8a3a.png

https://gyazo.com/c5f2e1140015563dd0b9b5a20cff8a3a

Are you at the practices...how do you know what qb is doing what. I do know one thing and that is #12 is garbage. What i don't know is what we're getting with Perry, Weldon, or Williams. In this scenario, i like the unknown better than the known. #12 wouldn't even be in consideration at other P5 schools. I have to agree with macho in that it is a strategic move by CMR to allow the incumbent to sink or swim himself so that it would be an obvious move to the more talented, uprising youngster. It will play itself out. CMR is a vet, can be lil stubborn, but he's not a fool. If #12 doesn't win the job outright, should he be handed the spot bc he's the 5th yr man. A qb guru would rather work with the talented youngsters over a limited veteran. I may be wrong. I could be giving CMR too much credit for developing and evaluating qbs. Im trusting the process until i see #12 run out on the field against LSU.

Advertisement
Cali, the only one qualified to make the decision as to who starts is Rick. He’s there every practice, watches every throw, in the QB room, listens to every play breakdown.

You write all this meaningless tripe citing last years’s statistics citing stuff we already know, and you are now telling us ahead of time, if Rick doesn’t make the decision you want him to make he’s already wrong. Sounds just a tad bit presumptuous since he’s privy to a whole lot more info than you.

You’re twisting yourself up into a pretzel with only four spring practices under the belt. There are many more practices, more scrimmages, and a whole summer and fall of practices and scrimmages. It’s time to calm down. We do have some arm talent behind Rosier. If they can’t get their mind around the playbook, we’ve got an early enrolled freshmans, and if he can’t do it we’ve got a guy that won ten last year and will have hopefully improved.

One thing I know. Rick wants to win in the worst way. He’s going to put the guy in that he thinks gives him the best chance. So I’ll roll with his judgement, not yours.

There's a strategy some coaches use when they have a situation like this...
(I know I've used it many times)
Particularly when it's a veteran versus a younger player.

When you have a 1st stringer who's really ****ting the bed, and a 2nd stringer with more talent, you let that 1st string guy "make his bed" if you will.
You keep giving him the 1st team reps (in practice), allowing him to pile up more "***** ups" to concretely validate your decision to move the 2nd guy ahead.

Spring is the perfect time for this. It's not a game you play in the fall.

Then when you move that 2nd string kid up, it's no surprise to anybody, including the kid himself.

It's kinda hard to just move Rosier to 2nd string right now after a 10-3 season. As much as I think Richt hates having him there (you can see it in his face during some games), he may be piling up all the validation he needs to make the move.

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Not some bro. He absolutely hates having Rosier as his QB. It shows in every single game. Richts face tells all. It usually shows up whenever we have to pass on 3rd down. lolol

After Halftime of the LStankU game. Rosier will not be the QB. One of the young Bulls will be the Starting Qb. I have faith in in CMR not to let the butterfly bug wreck Perry or whoever to get mentally broke. Japicky 2.0 trainwreck is a hll no.

Omfg, I literally already did the statistical breakdowns of the FSU, VTech, and ND game and showed that he was complete *** those games. Just so you can see it, I'll post it again. IN orange is Rosiers averaged performance over those 3 games. In green is the average performance of ACC Qbs (who weren't even very good this season) not including rosier. Using this you can clearly see that Rosier was ******* trash at EVERY SINGLE STAT except for TD%.
c5f2e1140015563dd0b9b5a20cff8a3a.png

https://gyazo.com/c5f2e1140015563dd0b9b5a20cff8a3a

45% complete rate in last 3 games with 2 TD passes and 5 interceptions. I find it hard to believe that Perry or Williams or even Weldon will perform more poorly than that if given the start even against LSU. Rosier was embarrassingly bad in the second quarter of the Orange Bowl. Threw a killer in the 3rd quarter where we could have taken the lead. He could not convert and we had to settle for a field goal in the 4th instead of taking the lead. Really killed the momentum.

Miami was outclassed against Clemson but Pitt and Wisconsin are on him. We get competent play in both games and Miami wins.

Advertisement
It's been 5 SPRING practices and the QBs have not even thrown against defense, and y'all worried that Perry is not the starter yet. Need to relax. Some of you remind me of some **** fans I know, neurotic and insecure. We will be fine. We are literally in the middle of the transition into a competitive (eventually dominant) program it's a process. But it IS happening.

Richt will play whoever gives us the best chance to win. Even if it's Rosier at first bc of "improvements" and "senior leadership", if he reverts back to the same tendencies he will have a very short leash.
Agree with most youre saying but youre wrong in the assumption that they havent been going against the defense. Unless im just not understanding what youre saying theyre going against defense every day.

Biggest moment for me last year, ****, biggest moment in Hurricanes Football over the last 10 years was at Doak Campbell last season down 20-17, right after our DEFENSE had just blown the game, 11 seconds on the clock, Seminole fans got the volume cranked up to 11 and shaking the mortar out the bricks of that raggedy *** stadium, Malik Rosier raises his arms motioning for the 'Noles to get louder. Scream. Scream you mother****ers! I want to hear everything you got before I turn the lights off in this *****!

I didn't even have to watch the rest. I knew we won right then and there. Nuts that big don't grow on every kid. It's gonna take a **** of a lot more than guys completing passes in no-contact drills before I tell that man to sit down.
Rudy was a fan favorite who had a great semi fictional story as well... he had his moments and for all the people who state so much regard for him based upon his single season record etc, i just really cant understand how those same people discount facts being our team stats... is it supposed to be malik was great & the rest of the team especially any wr who didnt have bubble screens called for them were monumental failures? I agree 100% no one should get the job by default. But thats exactly what happened last year & im praying to all thats held holy that doesnt happen again this year. Its a new year & which ever qb looks better should have the job. Previous season be damned. Thats all that people are hearing about malik right now cause its pure lip service and cmr is trying to keep him from transfering which i honestly doubt would happen regardless. BUT AGAIN THESE ARE ALL SIMPLY OPINIONS

If Richt goes with Rosier its because he doesn't want to take risks - he's going with the known commodity (who is ****) and experience, over one of the younger guys just because he doesn't want to go through freshman mistakes. I think that is absolutely the wrong decision. If Rosier "wins" the starting job, its not because he was outright better than Perry/Weldon/Jarren in all aspects of being a QB. In fact we know 100% that Perry has a stronger arm, and is more accurate. We literally already know that. The question that Richt harps on, and its obviously a big one, is who has the best grasp of the offense and can read a defense best. So Richt may go with the "safe" choice in Rosier because he's in his ******* 5th year and ran the offense for a full season last yr. But that doesn't mean it was the right choice. I'm saying that just because Rosier has a better understanding of the Offense/Defense it shouldn't win him the job.

Lets say these reports are true, and Perry doesn't know the offense or how to read a defense as well as Rosier (not exactly surprising given this is Rosiers 5th year). That still is not a good enough reason to choose Rosier as our QB. I've literally already shown statistically what we have in Rosier. The ONLY thing he's done that is not complete **** is throw a high TD% and I'm not exaggerating one bit, I've already showed it. Perry is still the smarter play, because he can learn during the season. Rosier isn't going to improve over the season, because he's already reached his potential. Perry or the other 2 haven't even scratched the surface yet. And 3 out of our 4 first games are warm up games, and the LSU game really doesn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things (I think we'd still win with whoever at QB). Point is the three frosh are a little riskier because they will make the bad frosh decisions, but Rosier is still soo ******* bad that he shouldn't be the starter no matter what.

So Perry could "lose" the QB competition due to Richt not wanting to take the risk of a young QB, but it doesn't make his decision the right one. Yes there absolutely would be some struggles for Perry along the way. Thats what happens every time a Freshman is thrown into the fire. But Perry is the better choice to QB this team over Rosier. There is no actual benefit to having Rosier be our Qb over Perry. Its not like Rosier is peyton manning making great reads. Secondly even if Rosier is better at making reads, he's so inaccurate that it doesn't even matter. Maybe Perry will be limited to 2 reads the entire first half of the season.....well the offense would still be better doing that than going with a guy who can't even complete 50% of his passes.

This isn't like we are discussing going with a game manager in Alex Smith over Kaepernick, where its an actual difficult situation. No, this is like choosing between Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson, where Tom Savage is ******* terrible, and Deshaun Watson has way more potential but is a riskier play because his understanding of the offense and NFL defenses is obviously not going to be all that high as a rookie. I think this is a good way to look at this QB competition we face. Savage won that competition too, and look what happened - the known **** Qb was ****. And the Qb with way more potential and that was a riskier play went through some valleys, but the peaks were well worth it, and he continued to improve as the season went on.... People are acting like Rosier is Alex Smith, when hes not. If that were the case and Rosier were actually a good decision maker and was accurate, I'd be all about starting Rosier. But hes not! I absolutely think if the Only think Rosier is better at in practice right now is diagnosing Coverages and knowing the playbook, then Perry/Weldon/Jarren should be named the starter
All of this and whats being stated are reasons why i said dont discount jarren being a factor in this race. Cmr really likes him for a reason.

Advertisement
Cali, the only one qualified to make the decision as to who starts is Rick. He’s there every practice, watches every throw, in the QB room, listens to every play breakdown.

You write all this meaningless tripe citing last years’s statistics citing stuff we already know, and you are now telling us ahead of time, if Rick doesn’t make the decision you want him to make he’s already wrong. Sounds just a tad bit presumptuous since he’s privy to a whole lot more info than you.

You’re twisting yourself up into a pretzel with only four spring practices under the belt. There are many more practices, more scrimmages, and a whole summer and fall of practices and scrimmages. It’s time to calm down. We do have some arm talent behind Rosier. If they can’t get their mind around the playbook, we’ve got an early enrolled freshmans, and if he can’t do it we’ve got a guy that won ten last year and will have hopefully improved.

One thing I know. Rick wants to win in the worst way. He’s going to put the guy in that he thinks gives him the best chance. So I’ll roll with his judgement, not yours.
Look overall I still think even with Rosier, we'd win 10 games. But thats not what I want us to be limited to.

Ultimately this is a decision about going with a known commodity who is bad, and an unknown who might not be completely ready. This is the situation where you NEED to take the risk and throw the guy out into the water to see if he sinks or swims. Because we aren't playing to win 10 games. We are playing to win the ******* ACC and The CFP. I have no doubt that Our team can get us back to the ACC Championship game in spite of Rosier under center again, but any more than that with Rosier under center is laughable. The Most we can hope for with Rosier is to get our *** kicked against Clemson again - That isn't good enough. As I said in my example, this isn't choosing between Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick; This is choosing between Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson.

I have faith in Richt choosing one of the 3 freshman. But if he does decide to stick with Rosier I absolutely think it'll be a mistake, and that no matter what we will lose a game or two that we shouldn't, and that we have no hope of beating Clemson at the end of the year. Sorry but I'd take the risk on ANY of the 3 freshman than go another season with Rosier, he was that bad.

Look overall I still think even with Rosier, we'd win 10 games. But thats not what I want us to be limited to.

Ultimately this is a decision about going with a known commodity who is bad, and an unknown who might not be completely ready. This is the situation where you NEED to take the risk and throw the guy out into the water to see if he sinks or swims. Because we aren't playing to win 10 games. We are playing to win the ******* ACC and The CFP. I have no doubt that Our team can get us back to the ACC Championship game in spite of Rosier under center again, but any more than that with Rosier under center is laughable. The Most we can hope for with Rosier is to get our *** kicked against Clemson again - That isn't good enough. As I said in my example, this isn't choosing between Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick; This is choosing between Tom Savage and Deshaun Watson.

I have faith in Richt choosing one of the 3 freshman. But if he does decide to stick with Rosier I absolutely think it'll be a mistake, and that no matter what we will lose a game or two that we shouldn't, and that we have no hope of beating Clemson at the end of the year. Sorry but I'd take the risk on ANY of the 3 freshman than go another season with Rosier, he was that bad.

Ok. So you’re decision making process will lead to a better decision and result than someone who has a ton more information and knowledge than you.

Information gleaned from spending 80 hours a week, probably 48 weeks a year, evaluating, studying, teaching, watching. Someone with years of experience and failures and successes. Someone who has actually played the position.

But let’s just throw that knowledge and judgement out the window and basically go with your predetermined decision. Because your mind is already made up, no matter what happens.

Seriously, friend. Not only are you starting to sound delusional, you’re starting to lose credibility.

Ok. So you’re decision making process will lead to a better decision and result than someone who has a ton more information and knowledge than you.

Information gleaned from spending 80 hours a week, probably 48 weeks a year, evaluating, studying, teaching, watching. Someone with years of experience and failures and successes. Someone who has actually played the position.

But let’s just throw that knowledge and judgement out the window and basically go with your predetermined decision. Because your mind is already made up, no matter what happens.

Seriously, friend. Not only are you starting to sound delusional, you’re starting to lose credibility.
My argument is entirely made from what Rosiers career production shows and what I, and literally everyone else, saw from him last season.
Unless he's got a time machine, all of last season is my entire argument as to why he definitely should not be our starting QB this season, and its a completely credible one.

What is so hard to understand about this? lol

It seems you want me to give a stupid *** qualifier of like "well if Rosier drastically improves his accuracy and decision making, and the other freshman don't improve their understanding of the offense and defensive coverages, then Rosier should be our starter". Im not going to do that though, because theres no point. Rosier Won't improve his accuracy. Maybe he could improve his decision making, though I question why as a 5th year senior it is so bad in the first place. And secondly I already know that all 3 freshman QBs will not be as bad at reading defenses/understanding the playbook by the end of the season as they will be at the beginning. Essentially that means the Freshman will improve throughout the season, while Rosier will just be consistently bad.

So yes, I already know which I'll choose, and its based off last years evidence, AND the fact that we are even having a qb competition in the first place where a 5th yr senior isn't separating himself. While everyone else is saying they only want the 3 freshman to be the starter if they clearly beat out Rosier, I'm saying the exact opposite. If it's close or Rosier only slightly beats out the 3 freshman In Richts Eyes, then Rosier still should NOT be named the starter for the exact reasons I already gave - Rosier isn't going to improve during the season, whereas the 3 Frosh would.

I think this is perfectly logical reasoning, and unlike most peoples opinions, its not based in hopes of Rosier improving. Its based on Statistical evidence of Rosier sucking, and knowing that even if the 3 Frosh suck, they would still only be marginally worse than Rosier (which is shown by the fact the qb competition is close right now), yet would provide a much higher probability of improving as the season goes on AND setting us up nicely for next season. Again starting Rosier has absolutely no benefit that starting Perry/Weldon/Jarren would bring.

Advertisement
Rudy was a fan favorite who had a great semi fictional story as well... he had his moments and for all the people who state so much regard for him based upon his single season record etc, i just really cant understand how those same people discount facts being our team stats... is it supposed to be malik was great & the rest of the team especially any wr who didnt have bubble screens called for them were monumental failures? I agree 100% no one should get the job by default. But thats exactly what happened last year & im praying to all thats held holy that doesnt happen again this year. Its a new year & which ever qb looks better should have the job. Previous season be damned. Thats all that people are hearing about malik right now cause its pure lip service and cmr is trying to keep him from transfering which i honestly doubt would happen regardless. BUT AGAIN THESE ARE ALL SIMPLY OPINIONS
I am on record stating that I don’t care who wins so long as the level of play we get from the QB spot is better this season than last. We have a good football team. Really good. I don’t want to see these guys limited by their QB. But ultimately, I don’t give a **** if we even complete a pass so long as we get the win.

I don’t know the man, but I also feel like that’s the way Richt approaches the game. Can you direct the offense? Can you get the correct play in and can you have our guys lined up right and keep us out of constant 1st and 15?

And do you protect the ball? Do you understand that 3 and out with a punt is better than a 3rd down pick. Can you take a sack instead of getting stripped trying to do too much?

I’m legit torn dog. I don’t give a **** how accurate you are or what kind of arm strength you have. If you can’t do what I listed above, we’re gonna lose.

The reason you should not be choosing the QB, Cali, is you’re an obsessed nut with no qualifications.

You’ve written practically a book in this thread trying to justify why you’ve made up your mind no matter what happens. That’s insanity.

You’re literally the most closed minded porster ever. Please don’t make important decisions in your life, you’d go about it the wrong way.

The rest of the sober minded, logical people will wait for the evidence to come in, ie, the rest of the spring, summer, and fall practices and scrimmages before we cast our votes.

Not that this is my wish, and not that I'm calling it this way. It's Spring and Spring is for speculation. Consider this scenario:
Rosier improves, but only marginally so.
Perry just cannot, for whatever reason wrap his head around coverage schemes, and gets constantly fooled and makes too many risky decisions with the ball.
J. Williams shows promise, has an undeniably bright future, but just doesn't yet have Rosier's or Perry's command of the play book.
C. Weldon seemingly has the tools but never is able to step into that leadership role and win the huddle.

Who do you roll with against LSU.

The answer is Malik, but here's hoping either Perry or Weldon step up and we're not left with this choice.
I am on record stating that I don’t care who wins so long as the level of play we get from the QB spot is better this season than last. We have a good football team. Really good. I don’t want to see these guys limited by their QB. But ultimately, I don’t give a **** if we even complete a pass so long as we get the win.

I don’t know the man, but I also feel like that’s the way Richt approaches the game. Can you direct the offense? Can you get the correct play in and can you have our guys lined up right and keep us out of constant 1st and 15?

And do you protect the ball? Do you understand that 3 and out with a punt is better than a 3rd down pick. Can you take a sack instead of getting stripped trying to do too much?

I’m legit torn dog. I don’t give a **** how accurate you are or what kind of arm strength you have. If you can’t do what I listed above, we’re gonna lose.
Richt has said it numerous times: the QB HAS TO MANAGE THE GAME.

The reason you should not be choosing the QB, Cali, is you’re an obsessed nut with no qualifications.

You’ve written practically a book in this thread trying to justify why you’ve made up your mind no matter what happens. That’s insanity.

You’re literally the most closed minded porster ever. Please don’t make important decisions in your life, you’d go about it the wrong way.

The rest of the sober minded, logical people will wait for the evidence to come in, ie, the rest of the spring, summer, and fall practices and scrimmages before we cast our votes.
lol so now I guess last season doesn't count as evidence.
gotcha. hey its cool, its a tough job supporting Rosier when there is no actual good argument that can be made to do it.
I write a lot because its easy, and im actually explaining my opinion and defending it unlike others on here who just say bs. You act like it takes more than a couple minutes to write all that stuff. It just flows out my man, its probably why its riddled with spelling/grammar errors.

Advertisement
Back