Scrimmage news

I think we should all focus our outrage on Perry!!! It's his fault he can't learn the coverages or playbook!!

//It's just a joke.

Advertisement
I think we should all focus our outrage on Perry!!! It's his fault he can't learn the coverages or playbook!!

//It's just a joke.
Harrumph.gif
No Harrumph.gif

Lamar Jackson won the Heisman with a 56% completion percentage. Just sayin'.

And no, they aren't the same player, so don't all jump on it at once. My point is that completion percentage doesn't tell the whole story, and QBs can contribute to wins in other ways than simply completing 6 out of every 10 passes.
Lamar was far more accurate than rosier, look how many passes Louisville receivers dropped over the last 2 years

Who is the real QB? The guy who's 11-3, or the three other guys with a combined record of 0-0 with 0 passes for 0 yards and 0 touchdowns?

I'm not arguing your point about Rosier. I'm saying if none of the other guys can win the job, he either got better, or those other guys really suck.
Only problem with that equation is what people did all last year. Rosie isn't 11-3 because he's got the bad news bears behind him & his amazing talent led us in those games. We're 11-3 in those games in spite of malik. Worse case scenario will know by summer will be we split time at the position. If that does happen it'll be because cmr isn't confident they're ready to lead.

Starting Malik is essentially waving the flag and forfeiting any kind of real run next season. He simply CANT GET THE JOB DONE and is a below average Quarterback not fit to be leading a team of Miami's caliber. His consistent lack of accuracy and inability to throw with rhythm and anticipation derails the entire offense. Im so tired of hearing about how he is 11-3 as a starter and we cant be so quick to move on from him. He is 11-3 because we had the break of the century against Duke in 2015 and last season was supported by an outstanding defense and an offense that was tailored to make things as easy as possible for him. Its unfair to the rest of the team to cap our potential with such terrible QB play I really believe the best option is to start Perry or Williams next season just to have one of them groomed and hopefully ready to provide elite play from the QB position going forward.

I make this guarantee if we start Rosier against LSU we will not win that game. They simply posses to much speed and talent on the defensive side of the ball and will load up the box and force Rosier to beat them which isnt going to happen. The jury is out on Rosier and opposing D corrdinators are going to scheme him into oblivion next season consistently forcing him into spots where he simply canot execute and we will leave ALOT of points on the field next season if he is the starter.

I truly believe in order for this program to continue trending in the right direction and back to where we all hope it is Malik Rosier cannot be the QB he goes out and leads us to a 9-3 8-4 season SO MUCH MOMENTUM WILL BE LOST in national perception and recruiting and we as a program simply cant afford for that to happen.

Advertisement
This is an example of "shiny new toy" syndrome. What if Rosier looks like Shirreffs in the Pitt game and can't move the offense? You really gonna bench Rosier, a guy who QB'd the team to an Orange Bowl last year, in the hopes that Perry MIGHT figure it out?

It's a huge risk. Perry's time will come, but it's up to him to win the job. A good staff doesn't just hand it over when the incumbent has shown competence at this level.
Exactly what competence have you seen from #12. Not as a quarterback. You are giving him too much credit for the 10 wins last year and i beg the difference. We won in spite of that clown. The turnover chain contributed more to the games last year than #12. He is the weakest 5th yr. incumbent to come into a spring/fall camp ever. #12 should never be referred to as competent, consistent, or complete. Enough is enuf, time to move forward...All aboard the "next man up" train

Starting Malik is essentially waving the flag and forfeiting any kind of real run next season. He simply CANT GET THE JOB DONE and is a below average Quarterback not fit to be leading a team of Miami's caliber. His consistent lack of accuracy and inability to throw with rhythm and anticipation derails the entire offense. Im so tired of hearing about how he is 11-3 as a starter and we cant be so quick to move on from him. He is 11-3 because we had the break of the century against Duke in 2015 and last season was supported by an outstanding defense and an offense that was tailored to make things as easy as possible for him. Its unfair to the rest of the team to cap our potential with such terrible QB play I really believe the best option is to start Perry or Williams next season just to have one of them groomed and hopefully ready to provide elite play from the QB position going forward.

I make this guarantee if we start Rosier against LSU we will not win that game. They simply posses to much speed and talent on the defensive side of the ball and will load up the box and force Rosier to beat them which isnt going to happen. The jury is out on Rosier and opposing D corrdinators are going to scheme him into oblivion next season consistently forcing him into spots where he simply canot execute and we will leave ALOT of points on the field next season if he is the starter.

I truly believe in order for this program to continue trending in the right direction and back to where we all hope it is Malik Rosier cannot be the QB he goes out and leads us to a 9-3 8-4 season SO MUCH MOMENTUM WILL BE LOST in national perception and recruiting and we as a program simply cant afford for that to happen.
Thank Christ early post of the year candidate

What happens if we start Perry/Williams and we go 5-7?

Exactly what competence have you seen from #12. Not as a quarterback. You are giving him too much credit for the 10 wins last year and i beg the difference. We won in spite of that clown. The turnover chain contributed more to the games last year than #12. He is the weakest 5th yr. incumbent to come into a spring/fall camp ever. #12 should never be referred to as competent, consistent, or complete. Enough is enuf, time to move forward...All aboard the "next man up" train

"Next man up" applies when (1) there's injuries that justify it and (2) if the bench guy can beat out the incumbent. If Perry or Williams definitively establish that they should be the starter, I AM ALL FOR IT.

If neither of those guys can beat out Rosier, which -- as many have pointed out in this thread, and I agree with -- should not require much, why is that not more of a concern to some of you?

Advertisement

My concern is that we start Perry Week 1 in Dallas next year and LSU punks him like we did ND's QB last November.

What happens if we start Perry/Williams and we go 5-7?
Question for you. Other than at times against va tech & nd what positives did you legitimately see out of rosier last year?we all knew the schedule was right to thrive since it was weak. Its not strong this year either by any means but its stronger. If hes the qb this year as well the team will regress. Fspew will be ready. Unc is gonna be alot better,same with va tech & ga tech. Pitt & uva may surprise a few with ricky town at qb.lsu is not a game i can handle seeing malik in. With that style of defense and a qb who refuses to make more than 1 read good lord will that get ugly...

Rosier is gonna step out there and should have better time to through, receivers with more separation and a run game that has to be respected. If he still can’t hit a target than it’s a no brainer to switch. Mentally it should to be night and day to have at least an extra half to a full second to sling it. If he ain’t head and shoulders ahead he should get yanked

Advertisement
It's been 5 SPRING practices and the QBs have not even thrown against defense, and y'all worried that Perry is not the starter yet. Need to relax. Some of you remind me of some **** fans I know, neurotic and insecure. We will be fine. We are literally in the middle of the transition into a competitive (eventually dominant) program it's a process. But it IS happening.

Richt will play whoever gives us the best chance to win. Even if it's Rosier at first bc of "improvements" and "senior leadership", if he reverts back to the same tendencies he will have a very short leash.

That Terrible QB set the Miami single season record for touchdowns, won the first 11 games he ever started, won 10 games in a season for the first time since 2003, put us in our first NY6 bowl since that disastrous 2005 Peach Bowl, won the first ever Coastal Division title, put us in our first ever ACCCG, and is the last Miami QB to beat FSU, VT, and Notre Dame in the same season since Steve Walsh.

Did he play terrible at times? YES. But you don't accomplish the things listed above by being consistently terrible, and no team is good enough to accomplish those things "in spite of" a consistently terrible QB.

There's a stupid idea that has somehow become the broad consensus of this board, and that's the notion that you know what Rosier's ceiling is, but not anybody else's. Perhaps streaky accuracy is just something that Rosier will never overcome, but perhaps a firm grasp of defensive concepts and coverage will forever elude N'kosi, and perhaps whatever relegated Weldon to 3rd and 4th string last season is something he'll never overcome.

It's foolish to assume that N'kosi Perry can get better in an off season, but Rosier can't. And it's even more stupid to think that Perry is going to get better if you throw him out there against a team like LSU based solely on talent when he hasn't demonstrated he can lead the team in a no contact scrimmage.

I don't care who the QB is so long as it's not:
a. Rosier just for seniority sake.
b. Perry just because he has a high ceiling.

If Rosier can't take the next step and one of the other guys pass him up? Fine. But y'all smoking some serious crack to be sitting here in the spring wanting to yank a 10 game winner and single season TD record holder in favor of one of three guys who've never taken a live college snap.

First of all, I do hope Perry wins the job because of his physical talents, size, including arm talent. Whether that translatates into a good or great starting college QB who can lead, read defenses, make good decisions, not panic and win 10 games or more, remains to be seen.

But I agree pretty much with your post. I want all the QBs to ball out and someone to really compete hard and step up.

It’s absolutely retarded to want Malik to fail just so that Perry can be the quarterback. What kind of stupid thinking is that? Winning the job by default is a sure recipe for failure. People that are saying this are completely stupid. I’ll take a flawed Rosier and 11 or 12 wins vs a flawed N’Kosi and 8 or 9 wins next year. And I’m not saying that’s what happens, but some of you people just don’t think.

It’s a competition and the best man will win. That’s how it goes. I hope it’s Perry, but whoever it is, will have earned it.

Advertisement
Perry was a total neophyte at QB who got by on pure athletic talent. I don't believe anyone outside the program even knew he had no idea what to look for when watching film or fan expectations would have greatly tempered.

He now has a full season, a spring ball and a full fall camp to learn everything he hadn't been exposed to.

If after all that he can't snatch this job by the throat from a QB with serious deficiencies I don't believe he's capable of overcoming, then I'll start to doubt if he will ever be the answer.

Only time will tell.

Question for you. Other than at times against va tech & nd what positives did you legitimately see out of rosier last year?we all knew the schedule was right to thrive since it was weak. Its not strong this year either by any means but its stronger. If hes the qb this year as well the team will regress. Fspew will be ready. Unc is gonna be alot better,same with va tech & ga tech. Pitt & uva may surprise a few with ricky town at qb.lsu is not a game i can handle seeing malik in. With that style of defense and a qb who refuses to make more than 1 read good lord will that get ugly...

I agree but the schedule isn’t going to be stronger, VT lost a lot on defense, UNC isn’t getting better, and GT is still the same team we should have blown out last year, outside of that i agree cant have malik out there the whole year teams caught on to him at the end of the year

I think it's unfair to entirely remove the ND and Va Tech games, because he deserves credit for bringing it during those games. But for argument's sake I'll give it to you. I also don't count the Bethune Cookman, since it was a glorified scrimmage.

I thought he was excellent against Toledo, Syracuse and Georgia Tech.

I thought he was effective against UNC, UVA and Duke, and had some really good throws in Durham (including an outstanding sideline anticipation pass to Berrios and another score on a skinny post to BB) but some flat out bad throws as well (including an overshot on Richards).

I thought he was ineffective against FSU but showed a lot in leading two scoring drives in the 4th quarter on the road, against a rival, in a hostile environment, and I thought he was flat out bad in the last three games of the season.

If he can be the steady, effective player he was throughout the start of the season, I think we can improve upon last season. I'm also fine with Perry beating him out, if that indeed occurs. But I'm very much against anointing Perry as the starter because I think his growing pains could be much, much worse than most people are anticipating here.

Just my two cents. Perfectly fine being wrong on this one.

Biggest moment for me last year, ****, biggest moment in Hurricanes Football over the last 10 years was at Doak Campbell last season down 20-17, right after our DEFENSE had just blown the game, 11 seconds on the clock, Seminole fans got the volume cranked up to 11 and shaking the mortar out the bricks of that raggedy *** stadium, Malik Rosier raises his arms motioning for the 'Noles to get louder. Scream. Scream you mother****ers! I want to hear everything you got before I turn the lights off in this *****!

I didn't even have to watch the rest. I knew we won right then and there. Nuts that big don't grow on every kid. It's gonna take a **** of a lot more than guys completing passes in no-contact drills before I tell that man to sit down.

Advertisement
Back