Rutgers drops Miami

Advertisement
Seems like $100k is too little for the headache this is causing us.

Blake James never read The Art of the Deal.

You do know we've had other AD's, right? Deal was made in 2009. That's Kirby Hocutt.

Do better next time.

Ok but the cancellation has nothing to do with Kirby. Blake allowed it and got compensated what seems a small amount.

Hopefully the only way he allowed for this to happen is he's already got something lined up.

Add LSU in 2019 and play in Miami...

I like this idea

Again, think this through. Use the brain God gave you. You think any P5 team has an opening next year? Schedules are made many years in advance. We'll be lucky to get a decent G5 school.

Yep. And, this is exactly the reason we end up playing teams like App St on the road. A late cancellation leaves UM with very few attractive options.

**** right now, we'd be even lucky to get an App State type school. Sadly, we may end up paying Bethune Cookman or FAMU or Jacksonville State to come down and get an *** whipping. Whatever we end up getting, it might not be very attractive. And could actually be downright ugly.

Hopefully we can convince some better opponent to cancel a couple of their games, although we may have to pay the cancellation fee. That's kind of a long shot right now. But fingers crossed.

Seems like $100k is too little for the headache this is causing us.

Blake James never read The Art of the Deal.

You do know we've had other AD's, right? Deal was made in 2009. That's Kirby Hocutt.

Do better next time.

Ok but the cancellation has nothing to do with Kirby. Blake allowed it and got compensated what seems a small amount.

Hopefully the only way he allowed for this to happen is he's already got something lined up.

Lol wut. Wrong again.

No offense, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The cancellation fee was determined when the contract was agreed-upon and signed back in 2009. It was contractually pre-determined.

And LMFAOOOOO that he allowed this to happen. They canceled on us. What was he going to do? Fly up to New Jersey with a gun and put it to their head. They canceled. They broke the contract. They violated the contract. And they paid for it. How was he supposed to prevent that?

Not one of your best posts.

Last edited:
This sucks. While Rutgers isn't a powerhouse by any means, they'r eat least a P5 team. Factor in the defacto home game for the north east alumni and it's a win/win for Miami.

This is exactly how we got stuck playing at App State in 2016. They had scheduled a series with (I believe) West Virginia and they back out of it, leaving Miami to scramble to book anybody.

Advertisement
NJ Advance Media has confirmed that Rutgers must pay the $100,000 fee written into the contract with Miami for cancelling the games.

Yup, you're right.

Just like a Real Estate contract, you can buy your way out of any deal.

I believe the following could be options for P5 arrangements:

Oklahoma State has openings in 2018 and 2019. Would seem to be the easiest fit for a "home and home".

TCU has openings in 2018 and 2019. Question is; Do they want to play Ohio State AND Miami as their OOC games in 2018 and 2019? Two similar schools ... Would probably be good TV.

Stanford has an opening (at Stanford) in 2018. I thought Baylor was a possibility for 2019, but they have a game with Rice. So, we'd need another 2019 opponent.

Last edited:
It would've been two easy quality P5 wins. Now, as mentioned before, with such short notice it's going to be very difficult to schedule ANY P5 team, or even possibly a quality G5. Hopefully the athletic department can pull a rabbit out of hat here. Those would've been some really nice quality P5 wins.

With the BIG wanting their network in the NYC area and thus swallowing their pride and admitting Ru(n)tgers for the sake of the all mighty $, this looked like a lucky break for the 'Canes and their CFP rankings.

$100,000 seems like an awfully low number.

I think Blake James is on the Professor Hinkle level when it comes to getting a P5 this close to 2018.

Advertisement
Thankfully under the new regime those were not going to be interesting games. Glad they are gone. Hopefully we can replace them with a real team with the balls to play us. Otherwise, I'm just as happy watching us beat on some similar B squad with the 100k than I would have been watching us against those chumps.

I could be wrong, but the short notice likely means we are paying some mid major school much more than 100k to get their **** pushed in on espn the ocho.

Hopefully not.

You're right, I'm just salty. Hope Blake James manages to make some lemonade here.

Advertisement
Can't wait until idiots on here blame Richt when we're stuck playing the Texas State Fighting Armadillos

I believe the following could be options for P5 arrangements:

Oklahoma State has openings in 2018 and 2019. Would seem to be the easiest fit for a "home and home".

TCU has openings in 2018 and 2019. Question is; Do they want to play Ohio State AND Miami as their OOC games in 2018 and 2019? Two similar schools ... Would probably be good TV.

Stanford has an opening (at Stanford) in 2018. I thought Baylor was a possibility for 2019, but they have a game with Rice. So, we'd need another 2019 opponent.

I'd like to see a home and home with any of those three teams. College football desperately needs more non conference power match-ups. Unfortunately the playoff selection committee has wrongly punished teams for losing tough, non conference games. While rewarding teams who go undefeated against cupcakes. Maybe if ratings and ticket sales continue to sink enough, they'll actually start having competitive games again.

Advertisement
Would love to make a trip out of playing Stanford in 2018. Got family out there...but I would love to schedule Tennessee even more. Those puzzies try to copy everything we do..wish they had an opening. TCU would be interesting.

Houston, Memphis, ECU, Arkansas, Ole Miss & South Carolina (they play Clemson that same year so I doubt they would schedule us) all have an opening in 2019 for that 9/7 week...

It'll probably be a MEAC special, but a P5 or G5 isn't out of the question yet.

Last edited:
2018: we got LSU and Toldeo on schedule

2019: we got Florida and FIU on schedule

... should be pretty easy to schedule a quality team especially if it's just for one game.

Advertisement
Back