Rumours about Chip Kelly to UF

I guess it's not that strange that some of our posters don't understand the way college football works. Ok, let me break this down: whatever head coach picks UF has to be a part time politician. It requires big time schmoozing with boosters and *** kissing. It's an SEC pressure cooker, where if you don't win immediately, you are out. Oh, and you have to recruit in an area where some of the best recruiters in college football call home. Kelly hates recruiting, hates playing the game with boosters, would be playing in a conference that has shut down his offense every single time, hates the college football schedule grind, and has zero recruiting ties in Florida. He's a smart dude. He's not picking UF.

This. UF’s boosters are like a freak-show cult. And you have to spend a significant amount of time placating them. It’s a huge part of the job. I do ‘t know for sure that he won’t pick UF, but that weighs strongly against UF if he even comes back to xollege which I am not sure is certain. He could still go to uf though. Remember he took like a week to decide to leave Oregon after meeting with the Browns and Eagles.

Why is UF’s current coach just hanging out in New Hampshire?

Last edited:
Advertisement
why would anyone choose to coach at UF over UCLA? Beverly Hills or some redneck hillbilly town with insufferable fans?

Based on this, who would want to coach in the SEC? Love it or hate the Florida job is miles better. In fact it's one of the best jobs in College Football.

why would anyone choose to coach at UF over UCLA? Beverly Hills or some redneck hillbilly town with insufferable fans?

Based on this, who would want to coach in the SEC? Love it or hate the Florida job is miles better. In fact it's one of the best jobs in College Football.

UCLA is better. Recruiting grounds almost as good (in fact might be better because the talent is around LA where in Florida it's concentrated in SFL), very little pressure and local media barely cares. Kelly also recruited there before. The big advantage for the SEC is that there are "blue blood" programs like Alabama and LSU that the NCAA gives a pass to in terms of bagmen and corruption. So the blue bloods can get the best recruiting class money can buy and run dirty programs with no consequences.

Last edited:

The only reason why I could see him passing on UCLA is his preexisting relationship with Nike and Phil Knight and not wanting to coach an Under Armour school.

No income tax is nice too.

Addidas.

And that no income tax only goes so far. I'd rather live in West Hollywood and spend the extra bit of money if I were making millions like Chip would, then stay in an insufferable cess pool like Gainesville.

Advertisement

The only reason why I could see him passing on UCLA is his preexisting relationship with Nike and Phil Knight and not wanting to coach an Under Armour school.

Addidas.

And that no income tax only goes so far. I'd rather live in West Hollywood and spend the extra bit of money if I were making millions like Chip would, then stay in an insufferable cess pool like Gainesville.

I think you're confusing Westwood with West Hollywood.....but then again with Chip Kelly you might not be.

If Florida wants to spend big money on a coach why don't they try to woo David Shaw away from Stanford?

I think that job has finally run it's course and it doesn't seem like he was ever interested in the NFL. Would probably kill it getting to recruit kids without needing a Stanford level GPA.

LOL we all know why Shaw won't be considered, and it has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

If Florida wants to spend big money on a coach why don't they try to woo David Shaw away from Stanford?

I think that job has finally run it's course and it doesn't seem like he was ever interested in the NFL. Would probably kill it getting to recruit kids without needing a Stanford level GPA.

LOL we all know why Shaw won't be considered, and it has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

I'm not a fan of Shaw's offensive scheme. I could easily understand schools not wanting a power run game offense in the year 2017.

Why does everything have to be about race w some of you?

Advertisement

Shaw is only leaving Stanford if they fire him.

I guess it's not that strange that some of our posters don't understand the way college football works. Ok, let me break this down: whatever head coach picks UF has to be a part time politician. It requires big time schmoozing with boosters and *** kissing. It's an SEC pressure cooker, where if you don't win immediately, you are out. Oh, and you have to recruit in an area that some of the best recruiters in college football call home. Kelly hates recruiting, hates playing the game with boosters, would be playing in a conference that has shut down his offense every single time, hates the college football schedule grind, and has zero recruiting ties in Florida. He's a smart dude. He's not picking UF, unfortunately for us because he would be Larry Coker without the personality and lead UF straight down the toilet for the next decade.

I'm so confused by this trope, Kelly played the SEC three times in 4 years. He destroyed Tennessee the first game, lost the Natty to Auburn by 3 and lost to a 13-1 LSU team that should have won the Natty, and his offense scored more against that team than anyone else that year.

Sample sizes people.

I think Kelly’s Agent used the Gators to bid up the contract from UCLA.

I suspect this Westwood thing has been in the works for some time, but that’s just me. As usual, the Gator is the last to find out.

Shaw is a west coast guy and has it made at his alma mater. If it were up to Foley and Spurrier, it would be Charlie Strong. Best thing happening for Miami is Foley and Spurrier still actively involved with the football decisions. What incoming head coach would want that?

Advertisement
[MENTION=13137]Jaromir Jagr[/MENTION] any word on when the current gators coach will start recruiting for UF?

Addidas.

I think you're confusing Westwood with West Hollywood.....but then again with Chip Kelly you might not be.

Yeah.....meant Westwood, which is even better.

Advertisement
Yeah, beyond the obvious (money), I don't understand why UF is supposed to be this highly coveted job. The amount of time and energy you'd have to spend schmoozing and politicking the boosters, the Bull Gators - it has to be a brutal pain. Expectations are just as high as ours, if not higher, but multiply them by the sheer number of boosters you have to placate. And of course, to top it all off, you're not exactly living in a dynamic, vibrant city. Gainesville makes even Tallahassee look like San Francisco by comparison.

Advertisement
Back