Rousseau Weaknesses

Really??

Cmon you have absolutely no idea about his drive or how he's been preparing himself over this past year for the NFL. NONE. Yet you gonna hate on him as if you do.

Understand and accept the fact that he doesn't play for you. It's HIS life, and HIS choices to make on how best to achieve HIS future goals.

He decided to sit out this year....he didn't need your permission to do it....get over it

I wish him and all draft eligible Canes the best in their futures
You can tell a lot about the character of a person by their action towards others, like quitting on your team so you can fool peeps into giving you more NFL money by showing less, then bs'ing everyone about COVID. Just capitalizing HIS doesn't make selfish actions more palatable. How you live your life by doing what's best for you only I guess is now spun into a positive trait. Well, it's still not.

You have no idea if he is driven either, yet you spin anyway. I don't wish the man ill will, but I am not gonna be all over the mans junk like you just because he was a Cane at some point. I don't need to sugar coat anything to anyone. I don't need your permission, get over it.

Advertisement
Look, you may have misinterpreted the massive 2-page thread on Brevin as "met with some interest here", but how about you start your own board for this trash.

I can look at the boards for 100 other college football teams without finding some so-called fan starting MULTIPLE threads that are solely focused on the WEAKNESSES of the alums who WILL be drafted in a few weeks.

WTF is wrong with Miami fans, that they can't comprehend how toxic their behavior can be?

Hey, here's an idea. Start a thread where you talk about ALL of the traits of our draft-eligible players, not just the WEAKNESSES.

Why are some of our fans such gaping A$$HOLES?
Ever consider the forum might be better/of greater interest with more -- not fewer -- frank opinions and unbiased evaluations from people not swayed by their green and orange glasses.

No one is saying Rousseau and Brevin aren't excellent players/NFL prospects. They wouldn't be projected to go in the First and Third Rounds, respectively, if they weren't.

There's a little irony in calling a guy an "edge rusher" when he hasn't shown the ability to bend the edge one single time in his short career.
Most of his sacks came on hustle plays or plays where he was playing Nose Tackle.

If you wouldn't take Phillips or Weaver over him then I have to question what you're looking at.
Potential?
GR ranked 30th in the draft.... Weaver Ranked 227th. I'd say you're questioning what every single pro scout is seeing.

Talk about a bias opinion because you coached a kid lol. Your opinion on the matter is officially worth shiiiiit.

Kwity Paye
EDGEMichiganSenior6'4"277 lbsBig Ten - East
Jaelan Phillips
EDGEMiamiRS Junior6'5"258 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Gregory Rousseau
EDGEMiamiRS Sophomore6'5"260 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Azeez Ojulari
EDGEGeorgiaRS Sophomore6'3"240 lbsSEC - East
Joe Tryon
EDGEWashingtonRS Junior6'4"251 lbsPac-12 - North
Joseph Ossai
EDGETexasJunior6'3"245 lbsBig 12
Jayson Oweh
EDGEPenn StateRS Sophomore6'5"257 lbsBig Ten - East
Patrick Jones II
EDGEPittsburghRS Senior6'4.5"264 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Quincy Roche
EDGEMiamiRS Senior6'3"243 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Hamilcar Rashed Jr.
EDGEOregon StateRS Senior6'3"254 lbsPac-12 - North
Victor Dimukeje
EDGEDukeSenior6'2"265 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Dayo Odeyingbo
EDGEVanderbiltSenior6'6"265 lbsSEC - East
Jordan Smith
EDGEUABRS Junior6'6"255 lbsConference USA - West
Carlos Basham Jr.
EDGEWake ForestRS Senior6'3"281 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Patrick Johnson
EDGETulaneSenior6'3"255 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Ronnie Perkins
EDGEOklahomaJunior6'3"251 lbsBig 12
Payton Turner
EDGEHoustonSenior6'5"270 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Cameron Sample
EDGETulaneSenior6'3"274 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Janarius Robinson
EDGEFlorida StateRS Senior6'5"266 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Jonathon Cooper
EDGEOhio StateRS Senior6'2.5"254 lbsBig Ten - East
Adetokunbo Ogundeji
EDGENotre DameSenior6'4"256 lbsFBS Independents
Tarron Jackson
EDGECoastal CarolinaRS Senior6'2.5"260 lbsSun Belt - East
William Bradley-King
EDGEBaylorRS Senior6'3"254 lbsBig 12
Malcolm Koonce
EDGEBuffaloSenior6'3"248 lbsMid-American - East
Daelin Hayes
EDGENotre DameRS Senior6'3.5"261 lbsFBS Independents
Elerson Smith
EDGENorthern IowaSenior6'6.5"262 lbs--
Chris Rumph II
EDGEDukeRS Junior6'3"225 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Shaka Toney
EDGEPenn StateRS Senior6'3"238 lbsBig Ten - East
Rashad Weaver
EDGEPittsburghRS Senior6'4"265 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal

Perfect example. K'Laivon Chaisson looks like a bust. I called him a bust before the draft. One of the reasons I called him a bust is that, despite those flashes, he never sacked the QB in college.
Chaisson was injured all year. Had a hamstring issue since camp. He might be a bust, but thats neither here nor there. He was drafted based on potential...just like Rousseau will be...my point is, Chaisson - as an EDGE - was drafted because he shows traits like that. And, I could have chosen any number of raw-ish EDGE prospects over the years...Marcus Davenport, Ziggy Ansah, whatever...they all had splash plays from a real EDGE spot that show EDGE pass rushing traits. I just picked one example of a gator getting beat up. I'm asking you to show me R1 EDGE pass rush traits from Rousseau on film. The play against Duke is nice...but its against a true freshman (fwiw - that Chaisson play was against Stone Forsythe...some mid-tier P5 starter on the OL). Blowing up a TE is nice...but its a TE.

WE both agree he's a R1 player...I'm just saying he should be on the interior...you say he should be an EDGE, where is the plays on the EDGE that give you real tangible evidence of a pass rusher on the outside?

FWIW - if you tell me he's a 43 LDE whose trick is a run stopper...I'm buying it...I think he's got good run stop tape...but those guys aren't drafted in R1 either.

I think he hurt his stock significantly. If Miami had been a playoff team in his breakout season, then his rep would have staying power. A DE with double digit sacks on a 6-7 team tends to fade from memory. IF he'd played and been a sack leader, then he'd have that top 5 hype on him all season (he'd likely get some mentions for the Heisman, win tons of awards, etc). On the flip side, if he plays, then I don't think Philips gets a chance to shine as much and is maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. So the question is which better for perception- a top 5 pick and two third rounders or two mid-first rounders and a 3rd rounder. Personally I think the latter is better (especially in attracting transfers) so maybe it benefitted Miami for GR to sit out. As fun as it would have been to see him play, I don't think the final record would be different. Miami wasn't beating Clemson even with Rosseau in the lineup and GR wasn't going to stop UNC from lighting up our secondary. Maybe he makes a difference in the final minutes of OK State so it's possible there is a one game difference in the W/L column with GR.
Even if he didn’t sit out this past year I HIGHLY DOUBT he plays against OK State in the bowl game.

Advertisement
Why does Rousseau tend to make so many more "cleanup plays" than the rest of the country?

The answer is that there aren't guys walking his Earth with his length, quickness, awareness and motor. Those traits work in tandem to make plays others don't.
You know who makes a ton of cleanup plays? Carl Nassib. Those kind of players are useful but they're not valued at a premium. Nassib was one of many FA busts for Oakland. If you have a DL full of cleanup guys instead of disruptors you're gonna struggle to generate a pass rush.

It's not a 1for1 comparison as Rousseau is more athletic while Nassib is more physical and better vs run, but both are overreliant on length and motor. Nassib was an early 3rd round pick who had 1 year with 15.5 sacks much like Rousseau, and he's played at about the level you'd expect from where he was drafted.

Dane Brugler put out his EDGE rankings today and had Rousseau 5th fwiw. Is every draft analyst on the internet wrong and the CIS homers are right? I guess we'll find out.

Is every draft analyst on the internet wrong and the CIS homers are right? I guess we'll find out.
I'll bet you a bottle of Beluga Gold that Rousseau doesn't go that low in the actual draft. The only two boards I've seen from former NFL people both have Rousseau as the top EDGE.

Does that mean the pros are right and the internet scouts are wrong? Of course not. Everybody has opinions and there's no consensus in either community. But opinions aren't evidence.

You can tell a lot about the character of a person by their action towards others, like quitting on your team so you can fool peeps into giving you more NFL money by showing less, then bs'ing everyone about COVID. Just capitalizing HIS doesn't make selfish actions more palatable. How you live your life by doing what's best for you only I guess is now spun into a positive trait. Well, it's still not.

You have no idea if he is driven either, yet you spin anyway. I don't wish the man ill will, but I am not gonna be all over the mans junk like you just because he was a Cane at some point. I don't need to sugar coat anything to anyone. I don't need your permission, get over it.

I get it. A hater has to hate. It helps you to feel better about yourself. So do what you gotta do

Well, I dont want or need to because life's going great for me. I think it will be great in the future for Rousseau too.

So good luck with your complaining and hating the lives of others that you don't know......just know this... we could care less.

Advertisement
I get it. A hater has to hate. It helps you to feel better about yourself. So do what you gotta do

Well, I dont want or need to because life's going great for me. I think it will be great in the future for Rousseau too.

So good luck with your complaining and hating the lives of others that you don't know......just know this... we could care less.
LOL, I hate to break it to you, but there is nothing any of us write on this message board that anyone else really cares about.

I'll bet you a bottle of Beluga Gold that Rousseau doesn't go that low in the actual draft. The only two boards I've seen from former NFL people both have Rousseau as the top EDGE.

Does that mean the pros are right and the internet scouts are wrong? Of course not. Everybody has opinions and there's no consensus in either community. But opinions aren't evidence.
Like I said we'll find out. I don't have much certainty about his projection. Whatever flaws I point out are based on film of a 19 year old sub-250 lb guy with limited trench experience. When he steps on the field again he will be 2 years removed from that and ~15 lbs bigger. He could have a stronger anchor, could be more explosive, certainly could have better skill with his hands and rush plan, etc. If he doesn't develop in those areas he can still be an effective interior rusher or a cleanup guy who gets schemed opportunities on stunts and blitzes.

I don't bet on things that haven't happened but I have enough experience to know that 19-20 year olds can still develop physically and are not finished products. Just last year I saw Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool play much faster than they did in college the previous year.

GR ranked 30th in the draft.... Weaver Ranked 227th. I'd say you're questioning what every single pro scout is seeing.

Talk about a bias opinion because you coached a kid lol. Your opinion on the matter is officially worth shiiiiit.

Kwity Paye
EDGEMichiganSenior6'4"277 lbsBig Ten - East
Jaelan Phillips
EDGEMiamiRS Junior6'5"258 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Gregory Rousseau
EDGEMiamiRS Sophomore6'5"260 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Azeez Ojulari
EDGEGeorgiaRS Sophomore6'3"240 lbsSEC - East
Joe Tryon
EDGEWashingtonRS Junior6'4"251 lbsPac-12 - North
Joseph Ossai
EDGETexasJunior6'3"245 lbsBig 12
Jayson Oweh
EDGEPenn StateRS Sophomore6'5"257 lbsBig Ten - East
Patrick Jones II
EDGEPittsburghRS Senior6'4.5"264 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Quincy Roche
EDGEMiamiRS Senior6'3"243 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Hamilcar Rashed Jr.
EDGEOregon StateRS Senior6'3"254 lbsPac-12 - North
Victor Dimukeje
EDGEDukeSenior6'2"265 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Dayo Odeyingbo
EDGEVanderbiltSenior6'6"265 lbsSEC - East
Jordan Smith
EDGEUABRS Junior6'6"255 lbsConference USA - West
Carlos Basham Jr.
EDGEWake ForestRS Senior6'3"281 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Patrick Johnson
EDGETulaneSenior6'3"255 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Ronnie Perkins
EDGEOklahomaJunior6'3"251 lbsBig 12
Payton Turner
EDGEHoustonSenior6'5"270 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Cameron Sample
EDGETulaneSenior6'3"274 lbsAmerican Athletic - West
Janarius Robinson
EDGEFlorida StateRS Senior6'5"266 lbsAtlantic Coast - Atlantic
Jonathon Cooper
EDGEOhio StateRS Senior6'2.5"254 lbsBig Ten - East
Adetokunbo Ogundeji
EDGENotre DameSenior6'4"256 lbsFBS Independents
Tarron Jackson
EDGECoastal CarolinaRS Senior6'2.5"260 lbsSun Belt - East
William Bradley-King
EDGEBaylorRS Senior6'3"254 lbsBig 12
Malcolm Koonce
EDGEBuffaloSenior6'3"248 lbsMid-American - East
Daelin Hayes
EDGENotre DameRS Senior6'3.5"261 lbsFBS Independents
Elerson Smith
EDGENorthern IowaSenior6'6.5"262 lbs--
Chris Rumph II
EDGEDukeRS Junior6'3"225 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Shaka Toney
EDGEPenn StateRS Senior6'3"238 lbsBig Ten - East
Rashad Weaver
EDGEPittsburghRS Senior6'4"265 lbsAtlantic Coast - Coastal
Ahh yes it's cause I coached the kid. Has NOTHING to do with him being #1 in the country in QB pressures or having the highest "pass rush win" % in the entire nation. LOL

I'm not co-signing for a scrub simply cause I coached him. He's a First Team All American and Bednarik semifinalist. I'd be talking about him even if I didn't coach him. (same way I talk about a bunch of other South Florida kids)

But since I coached the kid my opinion is invalid and apparently so are the stats.

Fuck Outta Here No Way GIF by Desus & Mero

Advertisement
Why does Rousseau tend to make so many more "cleanup plays" than the rest of the country?

The answer is that there aren't guys walking this Earth with his length, quickness, awareness and motor. Those traits work in tandem to make plays others don't.

I'm with you - Rousseau had a ridiculous amount of sacks, and that seems like it's really being undersold.

I mean - Phillips & Roche combined for 12.5 sacks this year vs Rousseau's 15.5 sacks.

The Rousseau comparisons like Weaver are G5, or Nassib are P5 upperclassmen.

Pretty much no one at the P5 level has approached 15 sacks before their Jr/Sr year.

To actually get that many sacks while being that young, and that raw - that has to mean something.

They forget - ‘quits on team with fake excuses not to play’.

That has nothing to do with the thread subject. If someone started a thread on his positives, would you post his negatives, all in the name of balance? This place just can never be honest with itself without slurper spin spun into everything. Who is the show you are putting on for, or who are you think you are fooling?

If you truly believe posting literally the other half of the analysis about the player that is the subject of the thread, "has nothing to do with the thread subject," then you're just a ******* idiot. You're complaining about a lack of honesty, but start crying like a fat kid when the birthday cake runs out when the second half of the same draft evaluation cited by OP is posted. Do you really want an honest discussion of the player, or would you really just prefer a thread bashing a Cane because you clearly have your panties in a bunch over Rousseau opting out of 2020?

More importantly, when Greg Rousseau fvcked your girl, were you in the room or just logged into your home camera and watching on your phone? I suspect he wouldn't let you in the room and that has created some animosity.

Advertisement
There's a little irony in calling a guy an "edge rusher" when he hasn't shown the ability to bend the edge one single time in his short career.
Most of his sacks came on hustle plays or plays where he was playing Nose Tackle.

If you wouldn't take Phillips or Weaver over him then I have to question what you're looking at.
Potential?
I thought the same thing when I was reading through this thread. I can’t remember him ever getting the same kind of bend off the edge that Phillips has, or even Garvin had.

I’ve been pretty adamant that I’d take GR15 over Phillips, but the more I see and think about it, the more unsure I get.

Ahh yes it's cause I coached the kid. Has NOTHING to do with him being #1 in the country in QB pressures or having the highest "pass rush win" % in the entire nation. LOL

I'm not co-signing for a scrub simply cause I coached him. He's a First Team All American and Bednarik semifinalist. I'd be talking about him even if I didn't coach him. (same way I talk about a bunch of other South Florida kids)

But since I coached the kid my opinion is invalid and apparently so are the stats.
Don't get so offended when scouts rank your boy so low. Most of that **** is spot-on. You didn't think he was a flawless prospect, did you?

While Weaver's well-rounded game can be viewed as a positive, not having an elite trait limits his ceiling. His burst and explosiveness are merely solid and a lot of that speed is lost when transitioned to power at the onset of contact with an offensive lineman. Weaver's pursuit speed also hovers just above average, although 2020 was his first action in over a year due to an ACL injury. As he distances himself from that knee issue, perhaps there's just a bit of added athleticism.

In terms of bend and ankle flexibility, Weaver again finds himself near the middle of the pack. He needs to get stronger in his lower body and refine his hand fighting technique if his athletic ability doesn't recover at all.

But please, defend your boy by pointing out his positives... Just like guys are doing for GR.

I thought the same thing when I was reading through this thread. I can’t remember him ever getting the same kind of bend off the edge that Phillips has, or even Garvin had.

I’ve been pretty adamant that I’d take GR15 over Phillips, but the more I see and think about it, the more unsure I get.
It's likely recency bias. We've seen a lot of Jaelen the last year and nothing of GR15 so memory starts to fade! Personally, I'm with you . . . I think Greg is the better prospect and has a better NFL career.

If you truly believe posting literally the other half of the analysis about the player that is the subject of the thread, "has nothing to do with the thread subject," then you're just a ******* idiot. You're complaining about a lack of honesty, but start crying like a fat kid when the birthday cake runs out when the second half of the same draft evaluation cited by OP is posted. Do you really want an honest discussion of the player, or would you really just prefer a thread bashing a Cane because you clearly have your panties in a bunch over Rousseau opting out of 2020?

More importantly, when Greg Rousseau fvcked your girl, were you in the room or just logged into your home camera and watching on your phone? I suspect he wouldn't let you in the room and that has created some animosity.
We know he couldn't do that due to COVID guidelines and social distancing. Safety first! We all might die, remember?

Oh, and by the way, idiots having to rush in and make sure something positive is always said 'to balance any negativity' is frankly retarded. Thanks superfan!

Advertisement
Back