Rousseau Weaknesses

Rousseau imo is a Leonard Floyd type, lengthy EDGE with a sh*t ton of room to grow...

I think it's become posh to try to downplay our players as much as possible as a means to safeguard from disappointment if he's not drafted where he's expected or he doesn't turn out to be as good as hoped.

The fact a large portion of his production came from the A-gap at 0-tech is not a knock, it's a plus & shows that despite his frame needing to add more weight/strength ratio that he was able to still attack the interior & make plays. Most lanky EDGE guys get swallowed up in the interior trenches & normally struggle in matchups with Guards & C's, while Rousseau usually ate their lunch.

He's definitely not a perfect prospect, but there's no doubt he's a 1st rounder & his upside alone makes him a special talent that the right team/coach will salivate to get.

Overthinking & over analyzing players like Rousseau make you look foolish down the line, take a step back & check off the boxes, if he has what want in a prototype DE/EDGE then hypercritical analysis is just mental *********ion.

Rousseau can be a very productive EDGE in the league, especially if he gets drafted to the right system, he's a player that GM's will kick themselves in a couple years because they talked themselves out of taking him higher when they had the chance.

I agree he's raw & not playing another year didn't help his draft stock pre pro-day, but make no mistake about, all it will take is for one team to fall in love & they'll probably end up with a steal prospect in the mid-1st.

If he gets taken lower than any pick below 15 it's highway robbery.

Don't outthink the room, Rousseau has not come close to his peak as a player, take the upside & figure the rest out later.

Advertisement
We know he couldn't do that due to COVID guidelines and social distancing. Safety first! We all might die, remember?

Oh, and by the way, idiots having to rush in and make sure something positive is always said 'to balance any negativity' is frankly retarded. Thanks superfan!

Nine month old opt-out crankiness, grandpa-programming-the-DVR-like anger over an appeal to a balanced discussion of a Cane, random and incoherent reference to COVID guidelines, unabashed use of the R-word...

Beez Salty GIF - Beez Salty You GIFs

You're clearly triggered. I suggest you run it off, snowflake.

I get it. A hater has to hate. It helps you to feel better about yourself. So do what you gotta do

Well, I dont want or need to because life's going great for me. I think it will be great in the future for Rousseau too.

So good luck with your complaining and hating the lives of others that you don't know......just know this... we could care less.

Dude is on here like some angry ex-wife whining about her old husband years after the divorce....
Kid opted out about 9 months ago, but he's still grinding that axe.
Meanwhile, Rousseau is about to become a multi-millionaire.

Go fvck yourself.

Ignore my posts or idk, actually add to the discussion.

lmfao @ HOW TOXIC THEIR BEHAVIOR CAN BE. You ******* weirdo.

You are a cvnty little *****.

I didn't respond to you. I didn't mention you. But you're the butt-hurt little ***** who is clutching his pearls and squealing like a girl.

Advertisement
Don't outthink the room, Rousseau has not come close to his peak as a player, take the upside & figure the rest out later.

I feel like this is the same thing that was said about David Njoku and Artie Burns.

We've had athletic freaks that were a bit undercoached/underdeveloped that the NFL has given a chance on, invested high draft capital on, and they've ended up some pro-level mid.

Also, is it trying to outthink the room if we're just judging what our eyes are seeing? I think we can all admit he's got potential and there is a lot of untapped player with Greg Rousseau...but the questions have been...did he hurt his draft stock by sitting out and ultimately, now that the offseason process is in full swing...where exactly does this player profile best. As more people have started to actually watch Greg Rousseau, there are more people wondering if this player has shown traits in games that would translate into professional success out on the EDGE as a pass rusher.

The Leonard Floyd comparison is interesting. If you look at the tape, I can see where you're coming from. But, Leonard Floyd professionally runs about 240. Greg Rousseau has - by most reports - gotten into the 270 range. I think now we're talking about two different players.

What kind of narrative do we have about Greg Rousseau if he came into the season as that 6'6" 275lber that once again played a lot of snaps on the inside, produced a lot on the inside and saw a lower snap count at LDE now that we had Phillips active for most of the season? IMO - of course obviously bias - I think most would begin to say the things that I've been saying, that as a pro he profiles more inside. I don't think we'd be profiling him as a pure EDGE guy if he came back.

It's likely recency bias. We've seen a lot of Jaelen the last year and nothing of GR15 so memory starts to fade! Personally, I'm with you . . . I think Greg is the better prospect and has a better NFL career.
My opinion didn’t start to change until the offseason. I’ve seen guys raving about multiple parts of Jaelen’s game and how it translates. The most I’ve heard about GR15 is his size and ability to move inside. Could be that the bias is getting them and they’re getting me 😂

Can reach around OL with arms that are approximately 14 feet long to tackle the QB without leaving his stance. That's a pretty big attribute.

Ever consider the forum might be better/of greater interest with more -- not fewer -- frank opinions and unbiased evaluations from people not swayed by their green and orange glasses.

No one is saying Rousseau and Brevin aren't excellent players/NFL prospects. They wouldn't be projected to go in the First and Third Rounds, respectively, if they weren't.

Hey, dumbass, it's a Miami board. We all wear green-and-orange glasses. That doesn't render us incapable of giving "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations".

That's the stupidity of your posts. You act like you are "doing us a favor". As if Miami fans can't POSSIBLY realize or discuss that any of our players have strengths and weaknesses.

But, again, I point out the OBVIOUS. Go to ANY of 100 Power 5/Group of 5 boards and show me where some amazing benefactor is starting threads that discuss the WEAKNESSES of the draft-eligible players from any of those schools. Do you honestly believe that Miami fans are the ONLY ones who somehow NEED YOU to "help us" with your "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations"? That we are so intellectually handicapped that we can't possibly acknowledge that any of our players have issues, but ONLY YOU can help us to see the error of our ways?

This is a Miami fan website. The STARTING POINT is rooting for Miami. If you want to discuss the WEAKNESSES of draft-eligible players, go the the NFL chat board. If you want to discuss Miami players, then you can do so in a respectful way that evaluates all of a player's characteristics, both positive and negative.

But it is "helpful" people like you who come on Miami fan websites and then start "WEAKNESSES" threads...when NO OTHER FANBASE has such insanity...that makes our fanbase look like a bunch of hateful a$$holes.

Nobody is saying you have to say all positive things. But YOUR starting point is negativity. That's the truth, no matter how much you try to self-rationalize it and sugar-coat it by trying to gaslight us into believing that your intention is "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations".

Why don't you start being "frank" and "unbiased" about yourself?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nine month old opt-out crankiness, grandpa-programming-the-DVR-like anger over an appeal to a balanced discussion of a Cane, random and incoherent reference to COVID guidelines, unabashed use of the R-word...

You're clearly triggered. I suggest you run it off, snowflake.
The R word. LOL. What pronoun would like us to use for you?

I feel like this is the same thing that was said about David Njoku and Artie Burns.

We've had athletic freaks that were a bit undercoached/underdeveloped that the NFL has given a chance on, invested high draft capital on, and they've ended up some pro-level mid.

Also, is it trying to outthink the room if we're just judging what our eyes are seeing? I think we can all admit he's got potential and there is a lot of untapped player with Greg Rousseau...but the questions have been...did he hurt his draft stock by sitting out and ultimately, now that the offseason process is in full swing...where exactly does this player profile best. As more people have started to actually watch Greg Rousseau, there are more people wondering if this player has shown traits in games that would translate into professional success out on the EDGE as a pass rusher.

The Leonard Floyd comparison is interesting. If you look at the tape, I can see where you're coming from. But, Leonard Floyd professionally runs about 240. Greg Rousseau has - by most reports - gotten into the 270 range. I think now we're talking about two different players.

What kind of narrative do we have about Greg Rousseau if he came into the season as that 6'6" 275lber that once again played a lot of snaps on the inside, produced a lot on the inside and saw a lower snap count at LDE now that we had Phillips active for most of the season? IMO - of course obviously bias - I think most would begin to say the things that I've been saying, that as a pro he profiles more inside. I don't think we'd be profiling him as a pure EDGE guy if he came back.
If he's 6'6 275lbs come pro day then he's more in line with Chandler Jones as a comp.

It's not trying to out think the room by giving an honest eval both good & bad, what's out-thinking the room is grading on such to curve to diminish his production as if 15.5 sacks is something to disregard because it wasn't done in a particular fashion one would like, meaning just because a bunch of his sacks came from inside doesn't negate his ability to pass rush from the outside, it just means he executed what the coaches asked of him, it's not like he lined himself up at NT, that's where Manny & Stroud felt he was most effective given our scheme/personnel.

I'm guessing you project him more as a 5-tech DE in a 3-4 or even a flat out DT? In that case, what other interior linemen would you compare him to as far as physical dimensions & style of play? Because in the NFL he'd be a unicorn NT at his size. Most NT's/interior rushers are short fat bowling balls, other than maybe Michael Brockers who isn't really a true Nose to begin with.

Ever consider the forum might be better/of greater interest with more -- not fewer -- frank opinions and unbiased evaluations from people not swayed by their green and orange glasses.

No one is saying Rousseau and Brevin aren't excellent players/NFL prospects. They wouldn't be projected to go in the First and Third Rounds, respectively, if they weren't.

I would suggest any evaluation that focuses only on a player's perceived weaknesses while purposefully ignoring that player's perceived strengths is biased from the start. But for whatever reason, you decided not to include the evaluator's listed strengths (i.e., the complete evaluation) for both players. In that regard, and notwithstanding your desire for frank conversation, your OP was a half-truth dealing only with one side (the negative side) of the evaluation, which is suspect to say the least.

You are, of course, free to post about whatever you'd like within the rules of the forum. And if you have a preference to focus on a former player's supposed weaknesses (as opposed to a complete view of the player as a prospect), that's on you and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. That said, you can't really be surprised when some Canes fans on a Canes message board react negatively to that choice. And trying to triumph the virtues of objectivity and frankness, when your OP was anything but, is likely to fall on deaf ears.

Advertisement
I would suggest any evaluation that focuses only on a player's perceived weaknesses while purposefully ignoring that player's perceived strengths is biased from the start. But for whatever reason, you decided not to include the evaluator's listed strengths (i.e., the complete evaluation) for both players. In that regard, and notwithstanding your desire for frank conversation, your OP was a half-truth dealing only with one side (the negative side) of the evaluation, which is suspect to say the least.

You are, of course, free to post about whatever you'd like within the rules of the forum. And if you have a preference to focus on a former player's supposed weaknesses (as opposed to a complete view of the player as a prospect), that's on you and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. That said, you can't really be surprised when some Canes fans on a Canes message board react negatively to that choice. And trying to triumph the virtues of objectivity and frankness, when your OP was anything but, is likely to fall on deaf ears.
What you are really saying is ‘don’t expect to have an honest conversation with fanboys unless you chum the water with enough positive spin to appease the masses’.

Dude is on here like some angry ex-wife whining about her old husband years after the divorce....
Kid opted out about 9 months ago, but he's still Dgrinding that axe.
Meanwhile, Rousseau is about to become a multi-millionaire.

I agree 100%

Never seen so much crying about someone moving on.

Yet like some puzzie who got dumped they want to try to put him down or wish him ill while sitting there crying a river about him leaving.

IT'S REALLY HILARIOUS.

Just move on and wish him well

Advertisement
I agree 100%

Never seen so much crying about someone moving on.

Yet like some puzzie who got dumped they want to try to put him down or wish him ill while sitting there crying a river about him leaving.

IT'S REALLY HILARIOUS.

Just move on and wish him well
Nobody in this thread is wishing him ill will. Where do you get this stuff? Op just posted a scouting report, written by someone else that’s in the public domain. The people that feel the need to positive spin any negative comment are the ones with sand in the ******. Get over it, the guy has negatives. Sorry you can’t handle an honest discussion about it without crying and trying to flip the narrative. And btw, quitting is a negative, no matter how much time had passed.

I'm asking for R1 plays. Not "good plays"

Play at 2:20, unguarded interior play.
2:30 - against a TE - already noted in the draft thread
2:52 - that was against a backup ACC RT.
3:17 - clean up play, these types of plays have been a CRITICISM of his numbers.
3:50 - unguarded, again, in the draft thread, the clean up, unguarded numbers have been noted by draft analysts as a critique.
4:24 - run of the mill play chase play.
4:34 - clean up play
4:44 - clean up play
4:58 - nice play, wouldn't call it a R1 play. RDE and DT also move QB off spot.
6:32 - unblocked
7:40 - Great play, noted it in the draft thread...that was against a True Freshman RT at Duke.
7:57 - gets driven back by that RT, uses wingspan for a modest gain...cool?
8:04 - unblocked
8:13 - beating guards...theres lots of this...which is why I say he should be an interior DL.

Which one of those plays was a R1 play from LDE? The one blowing up a TE? The one blowing up a freshman RT? You just listed plays, some are nice, some are meaningless, I don't see a R1 play from a LDE anywhere on that highlight package.
Not for nothing. Quincy Roche went to the sr bowl and at time was unblockable. Do you know the ungodly things Rousseau would of done to those tackles in one on ones?. This is just in reference to him beating guards, beating back ups blah blah blah.

Two reasons...

1. On many of his "clean-up" plays he was stalemated by his Offensive Tackle, thus he was right there waiting when the QB stepped up in the pocket.

2. His hustle and length allow him to clean-up these plays easier than most DE's would.

And here lies the problem with referencing stats. Everybody sees "15 sacks" but nobody breaks down HOW they were registered.

There's nothing wrong with clean-up plays...but let's not sit here and act like he got 15 sacks by abusing Offensive Tackles. He wasn't THAT dude.
He needs to develop into that dude.
THE ISSUE IS ......HIS HUSTLE AND LENGTH ARENT GOING ANYWHERE.

WHAT IS HE GOING TO GET SMALLER GOING TO THE NFL?.

His motor will be the same there...and he still will be 6'6. I like Weaver liked him in high school and at Pitt...but he aint Rousseau. Keep in mind im the guy that didnt think high of Rousseau coming out of high school.

15 sacks is 15 sacks. Had he played again this year he would be in double digits again. Why yall dont go question Chase young or the Bosa's sack numbers against folks packing warehouses now.

Honestly, if everything is true about the fins wanting to sign Aaron Jones and them trading for Isaiah Wilson I would watch the fins for him. They play our D-line in a multitude of spots and GR has experience doing that.
Yup..Flores wouldnt let him get out the 1st.

Dude would be a hyper athletic souped upStrowbridge who they drafted last draft and began to get run during the year.

Advertisement
Back