Rousseau Weaknesses

Advertisement
As a browns fan, I'm drooling over him opposite Myles Garrett. Would be a perfect pair to terrorize AFC North QBs. If Greg is gone, I'd settle for Jaelan Phillips too ;)
I feel the same way for my Vikings. 14 is a bit too high for me on Phillips but I think either would be perfect across from Hunter.

These scouts overthink way too much. Stefon Diggs was a 5th rounder lol Anybody who watched him at MD knew he would be a star yet all 32 of them whiffed. That's just one example. Sometimes it's as easy as can I guy play or not. That's why New England has dominated. They get guys who are good at football.

I want to know who that director of scouting is and slap the **** out of him. GR15’s game isn’t speed lmao. He’s a two way, lengthy end that needs to be molded. He’s got unteachable length and frame to go with a high motor and obvious production while being raw. There’s a certain pass rusher playing for the bucs that was the same way coming out and they might’ve grown up 10 minutes away from each other.

The sacks coming from playing tackle on passing downs shouldn't be such a negative. I'm confused why he can't move inside on passing downs in the NFL? Bigger Ends do it all the time and have success. He's put on solid mass during his year away and he'll continue to get stronger.

This kid was the most talented player we've had here in years. Technique can be taught but even without it, his talent was so obvious when you watched our games. Making plays look effortless is being confused with moving slowly it seems.

Advertisement
You guys get so offended when scout say anything negative about our guys. Most of that **** was spot-on. Y'all didn't think he was a flawless prospect, did you?

Brother, I asked for anyone to gif or even timestamp plays from Rousseau at LDE that was a R1 play after I broke him down in the Draft thread.

I've gotten nada so far. Had to do it myself, and cite a few plays that were good (none that I'd call R1 type highlights tbh) from LDE. This is absolutely a case where if you ask people to show you their work...they can't do it.

Advertisement
Although Rousseau will go higher, from what I'm reading there are MANY scouts who think Jaelan Phillips will be the more productive pro. If you look at Rousseau's "weaknesses," you could basically flip a number of those into what scouts see as Phillips' "positives." Heavy hands, great balance, a "fit" for any NFL defense, run defender, etc.

As for Roche, looks like most all project him as an OLB in a 3-4.

Although Rousseau will go higher, from what I'm reading there are MANY scouts who think Jaelan Phillips will be the more productive pro. If you look at Rousseau's "weaknesses," you could basically flip a number of those into what scouts see as Phillips' "positives." Heavy hands, great balance, a "fit" for any NFL defense, run defender, etc.

As for Roche, looks like most all project him as an OLB in a 3-4.
Agree.

Since my post quoting Zierlein on Brevin's perceived weaknesses seem to meet with some interest here, thought I'd throw up Lance's comments on Rousseau. Obviously, there are many strengths that Greg posseses as shown by his projection to go to SF at #12 in the 1st round. Still, these are things he might've worked on here that would've put him in an even stronger draft position.

"Weaknesses
  • Only one full season of college ball under his belt.
  • High percentage of rush production came at nose instead of edge.
  • Must add mass and strength to both upper and lower half.
  • Not overly twitchy or fleet in attacking the corner with upfield charge.
  • Struggled to dislodge tackle's punch against Virginia in 2019.
  • Conversion of speed to power is below average.
  • Needs heavier hands at point of attack.
  • Height limits natural leverage in attacking run blocks.
  • Absorbs more than he doles out in initial contact.
  • Balance through contact is erratic.
"I don't really see a big-time NFL rusher. So much of his pressure came as a zero-technique and he won't see those looks in our league. He has very average juice and speed-to-power." -- Director of scouting for NFL team"
They forget - ‘quits on team with fake excuses not to play’.
Great balance...

Latest Balance GIFs | Gfycat

Bad balance...

Balance Fail GIFs | Tenor

Thread balance (i.e., Rousseau's strengths, per Lance Zierlein)...
  • Long and rangy perched along the edge.
  • Jarring production for only a single season of work.
  • Unusual feel for hand-to-hand battles as recent convert from receiver.
  • Keeps eyes steadied into backfield throughout rep.
  • Ability to escape blocks and re-establish positioning.
  • Stays active in working to blocker's edge.
  • Can spill and chase effectively against the run.
  • Motor and effort are usually strong.
  • Two-hand swipe is concise and accurate.
  • Athleticism and agility for smooth change of direction in secondary rush.
  • Slips and slithers around interior pass protection with interior rush.
  • Above average when shadowing scrambling quarterbacks.
  • Long-strider with close-out burst that expands his sack radius.
That has nothing to do with the thread subject. If someone started a thread on his positives, would you post his negatives, all in the name of balance? This place just can never be honest with itself without slurper spin spun into everything. Who is the show you are putting on for, or who are you think you are fooling?

He would be a great fit for the Phins who like to disguise their blitzes frequently and have guys come from different gaps. All he’d have to do is use his length and motor and be a clean up artist.

Advertisement
They forget - ‘quits on team with fake excuses not to play’.

That has nothing to do with the thread subject. If someone started a thread on his positives, would you post his negatives, all in the name of balance? This place just can never be honest with itself without slurper spin spun into everything. Who is the show you are putting on for, or who are you think you are fooling?

Your scrawny keyboard warrior fingers would fall off if forced to post something positive.

Last edited:
You guys get so offended when scout say anything negative about our guys. Most of that **** was spot-on. Y'all didn't think he was a flawless prospect, did you?
I am all for stating a kids weaknesses. Rousseau still has alot of room to get better. But I just dont like the fact that he sat out the season, where alot of kids projected to be 1st rounders did the same, is a weakness for him. Yeah he only has 1 year of great tape but most of the kids who sat out as 3rd year guys only had 1 year of film too. (Jamarr Chase, Micah Parsons) Any kid who was going into their Jr year probably only has one year of great film. To me that should be a mulligan for all of them. JMO.

Your scrawny keyboard warrior fingers would fall off of forced to post something positive.
Would I have sausage fingers if I started purposely slanted every thread positive to skew it because I would think I could actually fool people into thinking the program is in a better place than reality shows at every opportunity?

If I did that my pinky ring wouldn’t fit.

Advertisement
Who the **** knows?

We'll all find out when this young man enters the NFL, is properly coached and hits the field against the best.

We haven't seen enough and even if we did no one would know with certainly. What we do know is that he's consistently exceeded expectations which shows he's driven, has a great expandable frame and hasn't yet reached even approached his full potential.

Would I take a chance on him in the 1st round hoping he'll be a future star? **** YES... But I don't own a team

I didn't read a single post in this thread describing GR as flawless. As a matter of fact most people seem to agree he isn't close to a finished product. But why would you expect a bunch of Canes fans to discredit a dude who put up 15.5 sacks in his only season?

He's got a higher ceiling than any other end in the draft. A lot of his flaws are correctable.

You want to take Phillips over him that's fine but both guys have the same amount of tape.

Who the **** knows?

We'll all find out when this young man enters the NFL, is properly coached and hits the field against the best.

We haven't seen enough and even if we did no one would know with certainly. What we do know is that he's consistently exceeded expectations which shows he's driven, has a great expandable frame and hasn't yet reached even approached his full potential.

Would I take a chance on him in the 1st round hoping he'll be a future star? **** YES... But I don't own a team
Sits on sofa all season and driven? Plz.

I don't get offended because they are paid to have opinions. Most of them disagree with each other.

Rousseau has more questions than most because he only played one year. My view is that they are overthinking things and will look really silly in a couple years. The guy is a giant, athletic, productive, plays hard, finishes and is a great kid. Jaelen Phillips is the same way. Give me those guys.

Advertisement
Back