Rousseau Weaknesses

Would I have sausage fingers if I started purposely slanted every thread positive to skew it because I would think I could actually fool people into thinking the program is in a better place than reality shows at every opportunity?

If I did that my pinky ring wouldn’t fit.

Yes or no, from a depth, talent and experience standpoint is this program overall in the best spot it’s been in at least the last decade?

Advertisement
Very interested to see what team takes him... how they use him and will they move him around?

Very interested to see what team takes him... how they use him and will they move him around?

48615499-0DD8-4F26-9BBD-686335533547.jpeg
Feldman has him at 17 to the raiders:

Brother, I asked for anyone to gif or even timestamp plays from Rousseau at LDE that was a R1 play after I broke him down in the Draft thread.

Since you asked, here are some clips of him at EDGE:

:18 playing the flats and looking natural despite his giant size.
2:20 great lateral quicks and awareness for a TFL
2:30 destroys the TE, easily rips around the pulling guard and gets a sack
2:52 bullies the RT into the QB with power, shows quickness and awareness to redirect and get the sack
3:17 redirects with quickness and awareness (a common theme watching Rousseau) and gets the QB to the ground
3:38 flies from the backside, squares up and makes a huge tackle on 4th down
3:50 fights through a double team, finds the QB and blows him up to jar the ball loose with perfect form tackle at 6'7
4:24 gets off RT block easily and makes another form tackle, getting low at 6'7
4:34 drops into coverage, good awareness to take away the crosser, make a decisive move to the QB and then cover ground in an instant to force the sack
4:44 shows great redirect and awareness to retrace to the QB and get him down before he breaks the line
4:58 forces the QB off his spot with his rush, then redirects and gets the sack
6:32 blows up the zone read because he's so long, quick and aware. He basically accounts for two players
7:40 speed to power, sack
7:57 fights off double team and sets a great edge
8:04 length destroys another zone read
8:13 gets UNDER the pulling guards (he's 6'7) and makes the TFL

He rushed inside so much because it worked. Only Chase Young had more sacks. That doesn't mean he can't get it done outside, in multiple ways. 2019 was only the tip of the iceberg in terms of his potential. @HighSeas

Advertisement
I didn't read a single post in this thread describing GR as flawless. As a matter of fact most people seem to agree he isn't close to a finished product. But why would you expect a bunch of Canes fans to discredit a dude who put up 15.5 sacks in his only season?

He's got a higher ceiling than any other end in the draft. A lot of his flaws are correctable.

You want to take Phillips over him that's fine but both guys have the same amount of tape.
Nobody said he was flawless yet some people get upset when his flaws are pointed out.
Soooooo if you don't think he's flawless, why do you call someone stupid for talking about said flaws?

I don't get offended because they are paid to have opinions. Most of them disagree with each other.

Rousseau has more questions than most because he only played one year. My view is that they are overthinking things and will look really silly in a couple years. The guy is a giant, athletic, productive, plays hard, finishes and is a great kid. Jaelen Phillips is the same way. Give me those guys.
These guys overthink every prospect though, you know that.
That's their job. They over diagnose these guys. They point out EVERYTHING.

Nobody said he was flawless yet some people get upset when his flaws are pointed out.
Soooooo if you don't think he's flawless, why do you call someone stupid for talking about said flaws?
I don't care what anyone else thinks about him. I watched him play myself and saw enough positives I'd take him on my team. I watched some of the other edge rushers in this class and there isn't one I'd take over him. The upside outweighs the negatives for me. Phillips included.

Advertisement
Since you asked, here are some clips of him at EDGE:

:18 playing the flats and looking natural despite his giant size.
2:20 great lateral quicks and awareness for a TFL
2:30 destroys the TE, easily rips around the pulling guard and gets a sack
2:52 bullies the RT into the QB with power, shows quickness and awareness to redirect and get the sack
3:17 redirects with quickness and awareness (a common theme watching Rousseau) and gets the QB to the ground
3:38 flies from the backside, squares up and makes a huge tackle on 4th down
3:50 fights through a double team, finds the QB and blows him up to jar the ball loose with perfect form tackle at 6'7
4:24 gets off RT block easily and makes another form tackle, getting low at 6'7
4:34 drops into coverage, good awareness to take away the crosser, make a decisive move to the QB and then cover ground in an instant to force the sack
4:44 shows great redirect and awareness to retrace to the QB and get him down before he breaks the line
4:58 forces the QB off his spot with his rush, then redirects and gets the sack
6:32 blows up the zone read because he's so long, quick and aware. He basically accounts for two players
7:40 speed to power, sack
7:57 fights off double team and sets a great edge
8:04 length destroys another zone read
8:13 gets UNDER the pulling guards (he's 6'7) and makes the TFL

He rushed inside so much because it worked. Only Chase Young had more sacks. That doesn't mean he can't get it done outside, in multiple ways. 2019 was only the tip of the iceberg in terms of his potential. @HighSeas

I'm asking for R1 plays. Not "good plays"

Play at 2:20, unguarded interior play.
2:30 - against a TE - already noted in the draft thread
2:52 - that was against a backup ACC RT.
3:17 - clean up play, these types of plays have been a CRITICISM of his numbers.
3:50 - unguarded, again, in the draft thread, the clean up, unguarded numbers have been noted by draft analysts as a critique.
4:24 - run of the mill play chase play.
4:34 - clean up play
4:44 - clean up play
4:58 - nice play, wouldn't call it a R1 play. RDE and DT also move QB off spot.
6:32 - unblocked
7:40 - Great play, noted it in the draft thread...that was against a True Freshman RT at Duke.
7:57 - gets driven back by that RT, uses wingspan for a modest gain...cool?
8:04 - unblocked
8:13 - beating guards...theres lots of this...which is why I say he should be an interior DL.

Which one of those plays was a R1 play from LDE? The one blowing up a TE? The one blowing up a freshman RT? You just listed plays, some are nice, some are meaningless, I don't see a R1 play from a LDE anywhere on that highlight package.

Which one of those plays was a R1 play from LDE? The one blowing up a TE? The one blowing up a freshman RT? You just listed plays, some are nice, some are meaningless, I don't see a R1 play from a LDE anywhere on that highlight package.
Why does Rousseau tend to make so many more "cleanup plays" than the rest of the country?

The answer is that there aren't guys walking this Earth with his length, quickness, awareness and motor. Those traits work in tandem to make plays others don't.

Since my post quoting Zierlein on Brevin's perceived weaknesses seem to meet with some interest here, thought I'd throw up Lance's comments on Rousseau. Obviously, there are many strengths that Greg posseses as shown by his projection to go to SF at #12 in the 1st round. Still, these are things he might've worked on here that would've put him in an even stronger draft position.

"Weaknesses
  • Only one full season of college ball under his belt.
  • High percentage of rush production came at nose instead of edge.
  • Must add mass and strength to both upper and lower half.
  • Not overly twitchy or fleet in attacking the corner with upfield charge.
  • Struggled to dislodge tackle's punch against Virginia in 2019.
  • Conversion of speed to power is below average.
  • Needs heavier hands at point of attack.
  • Height limits natural leverage in attacking run blocks.
  • Absorbs more than he doles out in initial contact.
  • Balance through contact is erratic.
"I don't really see a big-time NFL rusher. So much of his pressure came as a zero-technique and he won't see those looks in our league. He has very average juice and speed-to-power." -- Director of scouting for NFL team"

Look, you may have misinterpreted the massive 2-page thread on Brevin as "met with some interest here", but how about you start your own board for this trash.

I can look at the boards for 100 other college football teams without finding some so-called fan starting MULTIPLE threads that are solely focused on the WEAKNESSES of the alums who WILL be drafted in a few weeks.

WTF is wrong with Miami fans, that they can't comprehend how toxic their behavior can be?

Hey, here's an idea. Start a thread where you talk about ALL of the traits of our draft-eligible players, not just the WEAKNESSES.

Why are some of our fans such gaping A$$HOLES?

Sits on sofa all season and driven? Plz.

Really??

Cmon you have absolutely no idea about his drive or how he's been preparing himself over this past year for the NFL. NONE. Yet you gonna hate on him as if you do.

Understand and accept the fact that he doesn't play for you. It's HIS life, and HIS choices to make on how best to achieve HIS future goals.

He decided to sit out this year....he didn't need your permission to do it....get over it

I wish him and all draft eligible Canes the best in their futures

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't care what anyone else thinks about him. I watched him play myself and saw enough positives I'd take him on my team. I watched some of the other edge rushers in this class and there isn't one I'd take over him. The upside outweighs the negatives for me. Phillips included.

There's a little irony in calling a guy an "edge rusher" when he hasn't shown the ability to bend the edge one single time in his short career.
Most of his sacks came on hustle plays or plays where he was playing Nose Tackle.

If you wouldn't take Phillips or Weaver over him then I have to question what you're looking at.
Potential?

Look, you may have misinterpreted the massive 2-page thread on Brevin as "met with some interest here", but how about you start your own board for this trash.

I can look at the boards for 100 other college football teams without finding some so-called fan starting MULTIPLE threads that are solely focused on the WEAKNESSES of the alums who WILL be drafted in a few weeks.

WTF is wrong with Miami fans, that they can't comprehend how toxic their behavior can be?

Hey, here's an idea. Start a thread where you talk about ALL of the traits of our draft-eligible players, not just the WEAKNESSES.

Why are some of our fans such gaping A$$HOLES?
Go fvck yourself.

Ignore my posts or idk, actually add to the discussion.

lmfao @ HOW TOXIC THEIR BEHAVIOR CAN BE. You ******* weirdo.

Why does Rousseau tend to make so many more "cleanup plays" than the rest of the country?

The answer is that there aren't guys walking his Earth with his length, quickness, awareness and motor. Those traits work in tandem to make plays others don't.

Two reasons...

1. On many of his "clean-up" plays he was stalemated by his Offensive Tackle, thus he was right there waiting when the QB stepped up in the pocket.

2. His hustle and length allow him to clean-up these plays easier than most DE's would.

And here lies the problem with referencing stats. Everybody sees "15 sacks" but nobody breaks down HOW they were registered.

There's nothing wrong with clean-up plays...but let's not sit here and act like he got 15 sacks by abusing Offensive Tackles. He wasn't THAT dude.
He needs to develop into that dude.

Advertisement

The answer is that there aren't guys walking his with his length, quickness, awareness and motor. Those traits work in tandem to make plays others don't.

Those are good traits, brother. But do they make him a R1 type at LDE? Again, do you feel any of those plays you posted are R1 LDE or EDGE plays? I don't.

He's a raw player...but...where is there a play like this that shows a raw player with natural pass rushing traits?

KC vFlorida.gif

I'm just asking you - or anyone - to show me something where he's showing LDE or pass rushing traits of a R1 EDGE player.

I think he's a R1 caliber player - we've discussed this...but everything that shows a R1 player is on the inside or against a guard. If you say he's an EDGE, all I'm asking is to show me. You listed a bunch of plays I already went over in the draft thread...I don't think any of those are R1 plays from the LDE spot. Some nice plays, sure, but R1 plays? idk man, you and I must have a different definition of R1 plays.

Those are good traits, brother. But do they make him a R1 type at LDE? Again, do you feel any of those plays you posted are R1 LDE or EDGE plays? I don't.

He's a raw player...but...where is there a play like this that shows a raw player with natural pass rushing traits?

View attachment 144381

I'm just asking you - or anyone - to show me something where he's showing LDE or pass rushing traits of a R1 EDGE player.

I think he's a R1 caliber player - we've discussed this...but everything that shows a R1 player is on the inside or against a guard. If you say he's an EDGE, all I'm asking is to show me. You listed a bunch of plays I already went over in the draft thread...I don't think any of those are R1 plays from the LDE spot. Some nice plays, sure, but R1 plays? idk man, you and I must have a different definition of R1 plays.
Rousseau's NEVER made a play like that.

And that's been my argument every time Rousseau is brought up.
First round DE's do THAT. They don't specialize is clean-up sacks.

View attachment 144381
Perfect example. K'Laivon Chaisson looks like a bust. I called him a bust before the draft. One of the reasons I called him a bust is that, despite those flashes, he never sacked the QB in college.

And here lies the problem with referencing stats. Everybody sees "15 sacks" but nobody breaks down HOW they were registered.
But the "how" tells me a lot with Rousseau. He got 15.5 sacks without even knowing what he was doing. Some of them are almost by accident because he's so quick, long and has awareness of the ball. I'm drafting rare traits, character and instincts in the first round. If they have that, I'm comfortable projecting improvement.

Perfect example. K'Laivon Chaisson looks like a bust. I called him a bust before the draft. One of the reasons I called him a bust is that, despite those flashes, he never sacked the QB in college.

But the "how" tells me a lot with Rousseau. He got 15.5 sacks without even knowing what he was doing. Some of them are almost by accident because he's so quick, long and has awareness of the ball. I'm drafting rare traits, character and instincts in the first round. If they have that, I'm comfortable projecting improvement.
Okay I get what you're saying. I don't disagree with that.

Advertisement
Back