Rousseau Weaknesses

I feel like this is the same thing that was said about David Njoku and Artie Burns.

We've had athletic freaks that were a bit undercoached/underdeveloped that the NFL has given a chance on, invested high draft capital on, and they've ended up some pro-level mid.

Also, is it trying to outthink the room if we're just judging what our eyes are seeing? I think we can all admit he's got potential and there is a lot of untapped player with Greg Rousseau...but the questions have been...did he hurt his draft stock by sitting out and ultimately, now that the offseason process is in full swing...where exactly does this player profile best. As more people have started to actually watch Greg Rousseau, there are more people wondering if this player has shown traits in games that would translate into professional success out on the EDGE as a pass rusher.

The Leonard Floyd comparison is interesting. If you look at the tape, I can see where you're coming from. But, Leonard Floyd professionally runs about 240. Greg Rousseau has - by most reports - gotten into the 270 range. I think now we're talking about two different players.

What kind of narrative do we have about Greg Rousseau if he came into the season as that 6'6" 275lber that once again played a lot of snaps on the inside, produced a lot on the inside and saw a lower snap count at LDE now that we had Phillips active for most of the season? IMO - of course obviously bias - I think most would begin to say the things that I've been saying, that as a pro he profiles more inside. I don't think we'd be profiling him as a pure EDGE guy if he came back.
I dont see Leonard Floyd i see JPP.

To be honest Artie Burns was some mid HERE. Njoku would be a much better player playing on another team not the Browns. **** he transformed himself and actually is a physical run blocker now adding to his repertoire.

Advertisement

To be honest Artie Burns was some mid HERE. Njoku would be a much better player playing on another team not the Browns. **** he transformed himself and actually is a physical run blocker now adding to his repertoire.
Yep and Njoku still caught 20 balls last year.

Not for nothing. Quincy Roche went to the sr bowl and at time was unblockable. Do you know the ungodly things Rousseau would of done to those tackles in one on ones?. This is just in reference to him beating guards, beating back ups blah blah blah.

Quincy Roche would excel in one-on-ones. Inside shoulder on a tackle is where he ate meals all year for Miami.

I've said it before, but I thought Roche showed the toolbox here. Succeeded in a lot of areas Rousseau did, too, FWIW.

Watch this against that sorry af FSU LT tho. Remember that play of Chaisson I posted earlier...

QR vFSU.gif

Had one similar v. Pitt where he basically U-Turned around the Pitt LT for a sack.

Also love this...

YlOH3m
YlOH3m.gif

FWIW - I like Roche. At minimum, a really good role player. idk how high of a ceiling hes got...not that high, but can beat a LT outside shoulder, inside shoulder, can twist in and beat guards, work in the muck, plays well in space, good enough burst, I think he's got some pretty good hands, keeps guys off of him, got some moves and some plans rushing the passer, good at diagnosing plays...idk, I know Rousseau's got a ton of potential, but I like Roche, too. I might be a high man on Roche.

Last edited:
Quincy Roche would excel in one-on-ones. Inside shoulder on a tackle is where he ate meals all year for Miami.

I've said it before, but I thought Roche showed the toolbox here. Succeeded in a lot of areas Rousseau did, too, FWIW.

Watch this against that sorry af FSU LT tho. Remember that play of Chaisson I posted earlier...

View attachment 144414

Had one similar v. Pitt where he basically U-Turned around the Pitt LT for a sack.

Also love this...

YlOH3m
YlOH3m.gif

FWIW - I like Roche. At minimum, a really good role player. idk how high of a ceiling hes got...not that high, but can beat a LT outside shoulder, inside shoulder, can twist in and beat guards, work in the muck, plays well in space, good enough burst, I think he's got some pretty good hands, keeps guys off of him, got some moves and some plans rushing the passer, good at diagnosing plays...idk, I know Rousseau's got a ton of potential, but I like Roche, too. I might be a high man on Roche.
Naw i like roche as well and loved how he competed in Mobile.

Good god GILEBRT Frierson in that clip, slip that block or get rid of em

Yeah Njoku looks like he's coasting out there but he can block now and cut down on the drops and mental errors. His ball skills aren't the most natural but he can make the spectacular catch. He's a weird player but I always loved his talent. Still only 24 which is like a rookie in TE years...hopefully he gets dealt or cut. His salary is steep for a 3rd TE. Saints to replace Cook or Cardinals to replace Arnold are 2 possible landing spots.

🤷‍♂️

Advertisement
Yeah Njoku looks like he's coasting out there but he can block now and cut down on the drops and mental errors. His ball skills aren't the most natural but he can make the spectacular catch. He's a weird player but I always loved his talent. Still only 24 which is like a rookie in TE years...hopefully he gets dealt or cut. His salary is steep for a 3rd TE. Saints to replace Cook or Cardinals to replace Arnold are 2 possible landing spots.

🤷‍♂️

Njoku i think asked for a trade before.
I was actually shocked at how well he improved his blocking. I still think he could be a productiv ete and i think he could do that at both teams you stated.

Like I said we'll find out. I don't have much certainty about his projection. Whatever flaws I point out are based on film of a 19 year old sub-250 lb guy with limited trench experience. When he steps on the field again he will be 2 years removed from that and ~15 lbs bigger. He could have a stronger anchor, could be more explosive, certainly could have better skill with his hands and rush plan, etc. If he doesn't develop in those areas he can still be an effective interior rusher or a cleanup guy who gets schemed opportunities on stunts and blitzes.

I don't bet on things that haven't happened but I have enough experience to know that 19-20 year olds can still develop physically and are not finished products. Just last year I saw Justin Jefferson and Chase Claypool play much faster than they did in college the previous year.
That first paragraph is why I personally would be taking GR in the first. Kid played S/WR for 3 years in high school and I dont think his high very small high school was teaching him the how perfect his pass rush. The kid has a lot of flaws for sure, but he was inexperienced and and still productive with incredible length/athleticism. And touching on athleticism, he hasn't even been playing at that weight for long and still look adjusted to his body and coordinated. I just don't see how you pass on him in the first.

I would suggest any evaluation that focuses only on a player's perceived weaknesses while purposefully ignoring that player's perceived strengths is biased from the start. But for whatever reason, you decided not to include the evaluator's listed strengths (i.e., the complete evaluation) for both players. In that regard, and notwithstanding your desire for frank conversation, your OP was a half-truth dealing only with one side (the negative side) of the evaluation, which is suspect to say the least.

You are, of course, free to post about whatever you'd like within the rules of the forum. And if you have a preference to focus on a former player's supposed weaknesses (as opposed to a complete view of the player as a prospect), that's on you and you're certainly entitled to your opinion. That said, you can't really be surprised when some Canes fans on a Canes message board react negatively to that choice. And trying to triumph the virtues of objectivity and frankness, when your OP was anything but, is likely to fall on deaf ears.
NFZ, I was not surprised. Expected more actually. I think we're all very familiar with the strengths of our guys. Very little (Lance Roffers' game breakdowns are an exception), though, is ever pointed out as to opinions on specific weaknesses.

Hey, dumbass, it's a Miami board. We all wear green-and-orange glasses. That doesn't render us incapable of giving "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations".

That's the stupidity of your posts. You act like you are "doing us a favor". As if Miami fans can't POSSIBLY realize or discuss that any of our players have strengths and weaknesses.

But, again, I point out the OBVIOUS. Go to ANY of 100 Power 5/Group of 5 boards and show me where some amazing benefactor is starting threads that discuss the WEAKNESSES of the draft-eligible players from any of those schools. Do you honestly believe that Miami fans are the ONLY ones who somehow NEED YOU to "help us" with your "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations"? That we are so intellectually handicapped that we can't possibly acknowledge that any of our players have issues, but ONLY YOU can help us to see the error of our ways?

This is a Miami fan website. The STARTING POINT is rooting for Miami. If you want to discuss the WEAKNESSES of draft-eligible players, go the the NFL chat board. If you want to discuss Miami players, then you can do so in a respectful way that evaluates all of a player's characteristics, both positive and negative.

But it is "helpful" people like you who come on Miami fan websites and then start "WEAKNESSES" threads...when NO OTHER FANBASE has such insanity...that makes our fanbase look like a bunch of hateful a$$holes.

Nobody is saying you have to say all positive things. But YOUR starting point is negativity. That's the truth, no matter how much you try to self-rationalize it and sugar-coat it by trying to gaslight us into believing that your intention is "frank opinions" and "unbiased evaluations".

Why don't you start being "frank" and "unbiased" about yourself?
If none of our players had any weaknesses, we'd always be undefeated and Nat Champs every year.

I read other teams' boards, but I don't have to go there for examples. If I wanted to search this board I'm sure I could come up with negatives written about our players over the decades, and why they cost us games, and were making a huge mistake in leaving.

Which of the specific weaknesses Zierlein listed do you disagree with? Or, do you agree with what he wrote but, for some reason, just don't want it spoken here? Are you/we that afraid of the opinions of people like Kiper,. McShay or Zierlein? You can't just pretend they don't exist. Or, maybe you can.

Advertisement
Nobody in this thread is wishing him ill will. Where do you get this stuff? Op just posted a scouting report, written by someone else that’s in the public domain. The people that feel the need to positive spin any negative comment are the ones with sand in the ******. Get over it, the guy has negatives. Sorry you can’t handle an honest discussion about it without crying and trying to flip the narrative. And btw, quitting is a negative, no matter how much time had passed.

I must admit that I do find your insecurities and continual hating on him amusing. What's to discuss about his negatives? It's widely agreed by anyone with a brain that he may go in the 1st round!!! So what is there to discuss?

Tell me.... which bothers you more?

1. GR came in here as a flawed scrawny kid from nowhere and grew into a beast on the field with some flaws
  2. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws and was continually improving
  3. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws, who was continually improving decided to sit out the year
  4. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws, who was continually improving decided to sit out the year and still may go in the 1st round and make $$$Millions!!! :cool:
  5. That GR didn't ask you if he could sit out the year, ...did it anyway...and he still may be drafted in the 1st round and make $$$millions :cool:and for some reason that hurts you so bad :6fps6:...so so bad :cry:...that you just gotta cry and hate, then cry and hate some more ....because that's what a hater's gotta do ....and because your life is crap :****: .
My guess is it's 3,4 & 5....how sad

What's to discuss? Everyone has flaws, and everyone's flaws are negatives. BUT despite GR's flaws he still may go in the 1st round, YES the 1st round even despite sitting out the year!!!

Well, I say Good for him. He deserves to benefit from his abilities and his own choices ....just like anyone else.

He's gone and he doesn't owe anyone here a thing. Call him or think whatever you wish...like he'll give a fvck

Or just grow up and stop the hate, wish the man well like I'm doing and move on.

Nothing left to discuss

Last edited:
Yes some scouts are bozos, but it’s obvious Greg hurt his draft stock by opting out this past year. Half a season on tape is a little below what NFL teams want to see.
agree out of sight out of mind, see J. P by playing he knock it out of the water :

NFZ, I was not surprised. Expected more actually. I think we're all very familiar with the strengths of our guys. Very little (Lance Roffers' game breakdowns are an exception), though, is ever pointed out as to opinions on specific weaknesses.

That is simply not true.

Many people on this forum (myself included) consistently point out that Pope and Wiggins can't catch. Ivey's mental breakdowns and struggles playing the ball in the air are well documented on this site. Blades being too hesitant in run support and Bolden missing tackles. Gaynor's lack of push and strength. Scaife being an OT in an OG's body, and Campbell being an OG in an OT's body. Mallory being a subpar inline blocker (he improved his blocking this year, though). The fact most of our LBs lack eye discipline and outside of Flagg they don't have plus instincts. Flagg's physical limitations (size and speed). McCloud... and his general lack of awareness, poor read and react, and general stiffness. Even King's physical limitations (height) and mis-reads in the read option game have all been critiqued on this message board.

And the list goes on and on... because all players have areas for improvement. But again, focusing on the weaknesses without discussing (in fact, cutting out) the strengths is an incomplete evaluation, and seems like a very strange way to have an honest evaluation of any given player.

That is simply not true.

Many people on this forum (myself included) consistently point out that Pope and Wiggins can't catch. Ivey's mental breakdowns and struggles playing the ball in the air are well documented on this site. Blades being too hesitant in run support and Bolden missing tackles. Gaynor's lack of push and strength. Scaife being an OT in an OG's body, and Campbell being an OG in an OT's body. Mallory being a subpar inline blocker (he improved his blocking this year, though). The fact most of our LBs lack eye discipline and outside of Flagg they don't have plus instincts. Flagg's physical limitations (size and speed). McCloud... and his general lack of awareness, poor read and react, and general stiffness. Even King's physical limitations (height) and mis-reads in the read option game have all been critiqued on this message board.

And the list goes on and on... because all players have areas for improvement. But again, focusing on the weaknesses without discussing (in fact, cutting out) the strengths is an incomplete evaluation, and seems like a very strange way to have an honest evaluation of any given player.
Next time I'll be sure to include the "Strengths" as well (although, tbh, most all seemed to be pretty much self-evident). For example, with Greg, I found statements like "great production for a single season of work, usually plays with a high effort and motor, long and rangy, athletic, above avg when shadowing scrambling QBs, great close out burst, etc." not really telling us anything we didn't know.

OTOH, the "weaknesses" that some scouts apparently see are another matter and one I thought some would find interesting. Sorry that you did not view it that way. I do appreciate your valid comments about the biased focus on weaknesses and will keep that in mind.

Advertisement
I must admit that I do find your insecurities and continual hating on him amusing. What's to discuss about his negatives? It's widely agreed by anyone with a brain that he may go in the 1st round!!! So what is there to discuss? Tell me.... which bothers you more?

1. GR came in here as a flawed scrawny kid from nowhere and grew into a beast on the field with some flaws
  2. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws was continually improving
  3. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws who was continually improving decided to sit out the year
  4. That GR as this beast on the field with some flaws who was continually improving decided to sit out the year and still may go in the 1st round and make $$$Millions!!! :cool:
  5. That GR didn't ask you if he could sit out the year, ...did it anyway...and he still may be drafted in the 1st round and make $$$millions :cool:and for some reason that hurts you so bad :6fps6:...so so bad :cry:...that you just gotta cry and hate, then cry and hate some more ....because that's what a hater's gotta do ....and because your life is crap :****: .
My guess is it's 3,4 & 5....how sad

What's to discuss? Everyone has flaws, and everyone's flaws are negatives. BUT despite GR's flaws he still may go in the 1st round, YES the 1st round even despite sitting out the year!!!

Well, I say Good for him. He deserves to benefit from his abilities and his own choices ....just like anyone else.

He's gone and he doesn't owe anyone here a thing. Call him or think whatever you wish...like he'll give a fvck

Or just wish the man well like I'm doing and move on.

Nothing left to discuss
Lol, I am sure you could talk for days about his positives, yet there’s nothing more to say about his negatives, other than your crystal ball is sure he’ll overcome them. Well I guess we lock the thread then. And going first round and making millions justifies lying and quitting and says nothing of character. And being 9 months later makes it all fine. It has nothing to do with me, so that’s a stupid tangent. Guys like you always default to ‘you must have a pathetic life to call this kid out. Get new material, as that makes zero sense. I guess people with great lives can’t call out cats that are no shows.

Lol, I am sure you could talk for days about his positives, yet there’s nothing more to say about his negatives, other than your crystal ball is sure he’ll overcome them. Well I guess we lock the thread then. And going first round and making millions justifies lying and quitting and says nothing of character. And being 9 months later makes it all fine. It has nothing to do with me, so that’s a stupid tangent. Guys like you always default to ‘you must have a pathetic life to call this kid out. Get new material, as that makes zero sense. I guess people with great lives can’t call out cats that are no shows.

People with great lives have NO need or reason to be calling out people. Because we're too busy enjoying our own lives while helping those around us who are less fortunate ....than to waste time and effort trying to bring someone else down.

I'm sorry your life sucks so bad that you can only find joy by finding faults in others. I really am.

But that's not my fault nor is it Rousseau's.

It's within you to change. Try adding some religion, love and or getting some puzzie into your life. Strongly suggest that you work harder to move ahead...those things might help to put a smile on your face 😁. Because going without like you're doing totally sucks.

Listen I wish you well and hope you can find the good life, some happiness or other outlets outside of finding fault in or criticizing some teenager who you don't even know....

I'm sure you'll agree that there's no real need for either of us to wish Rousseau well because...ALTHOUGH HE HAS FLAWS AND SAT OUT A YEAR..HE MAY STILL GO IN THE 1st ROUND.

Advertisement
People with great lives have NO need or reason to be calling out people. Because we're too busy enjoying our own lives while helping those around us who are less fortunate ....than to waste time and effort trying to bring someone else down.

I'm sorry your life sucks so bad that you can only find joy by finding faults in others. I really am.

But that's not my fault nor is it Rousseau's.

It's within you to change. Try adding some religion, love and or getting some puzzie into your life. Strongly suggest that you work harder to move ahead...those things might help to put a smile on your face 😁. Because going without like you're doing totally sucks.

Listen I wish you well and hope you can find the good life, some happiness or other outlets outside of finding fault in or criticizing some teenager who you don't even know....

I'm sure you'll agree that there's no real need for either of us to wish Rousseau well because...ALTHOUGH HE HAS FLAWS AND SAT OUT A YEAR..HE MAY STILL GO IN THE 1st ROUND.
Lol. Don’t forget that I must have scrawny fingers too.

GR made his bet. We don't know if he hurt or helped his draft stock because we don't know what he'd have shown playing this year. I'm not saying he would have played badly, but when you're attraction is potential upside, sometimes familiarity breeds contempt. If he had 12 sacks that would be a good year but some would say 'decline!' He could have gotten injured, also.

Personally, I'd take GR and am more optimistic on his upside than the scout referenced in the OP. But time will tell.

If none of our players had any weaknesses, we'd always be undefeated and Nat Champs every year.

I read other teams' boards, but I don't have to go there for examples. If I wanted to search this board I'm sure I could come up with negatives written about our players over the decades, and why they cost us games, and were making a huge mistake in leaving.

Which of the specific weaknesses Zierlein listed do you disagree with? Or, do you agree with what he wrote but, for some reason, just don't want it spoken here? Are you/we that afraid of the opinions of people like Kiper,. McShay or Zierlein? You can't just pretend they don't exist. Or, maybe you can.

Good lord, you are just a clown who is doubling down on his ***** "weaknesses" schtick while trying to pretend like Miami fans are the real problem.

What do you do for fun, go out to bars to "neg" beautiful women?

This is your insanity. Rather than look in the mirror and acknowledge YOUR personal weaknesses, you try to invert the logic with extremes. "If none of our players had any weaknesses, we'd always be undefeated..." AND? Who said that none of our players had any weaknesses? That is NOT the issue. The issue is that you are an a$$-clown who started one thread about a player's "weaknesses" and then patted yourself on the back for all of the "interest" in that 2-page masterpiece, so much so that you felt compelled to start a SECOND thread about a second player's "weaknesses".

And it goes without saying that you are a pompous nitwit who claims he is doing everyone some kind of community service by talking about all the things that the provincial UM rubes can't possibly comprehend or handle. Yeah, right. We "just don't want it spoken here". We are "afraid of opinions". We are "pretending they just don't exist".

Why can't you be honest? Why can't you just say "yeah, hotsh!te is some ******* poster who is arrogantly acting as if he is some sort of rare sports analyst who is speaking truth to the power of all of the Miami fans who have never once in their lives criticized the team or its players."

Yeah, because that's what happens on this board on a daily basis. Just thousands of UM fans who are "afraid" and "pretending" that crticisms don't exist. Oh, thank you boss-man for helping us out.

If you want to have a debate with "Zierlein" and "Kiper" and "McShay", go do it on NFL.com or some other forum for that.

There's a lot to like about Rousseau and it's somewhat telling (at least to me) that he's being projected as a mid-late 1st rounder. I think opting out hurt his stock as he could have cemented himself in the convo as one of the best non-QBs in the draft with another season here. His pro day will be huge for him, a team in the top 10 could fall in love with traits and pull the trigger. He more than looks the part but with limited tape it's not surprising there's (legit) questions about his game.

Advertisement
Back