Romello Brinson Latest

Advertisement
Clemson is a powerhouse and they don't primarily recruit SFLA. Our main recruiting area is SFLA. Good luck telling some of these highly rated players that you won't accept their commitment. It's just the cost of doing business down here until you're in a position where you're that type of program, and even then, we won't throw the type of cash around that they will. Florida and FSU seeing the same issues show that it's the kids more than anything.
South Florida football players are mercenaries. Its starts at the pop Warner level even. It's just the nature of the beast down here 🤷🏾‍♂️

I happen to think you can refuse to take these early commitments-especially from Sophomores - without as much local push back as everyone thinks. There will always be the Uncle Luke's who make a big, public scene. But I think if it's presented the way the Clemson recruit described, it isn't insulting or negative to anyone. These younger guys ARE excited to get the offer and say they are committed. It's like joining an exclusive club. The problem is the novelty of being in that "club" wears off when others start taking visits, publishing lists on social media, etc.
" this is a serious commitment and if you're not serious about it, then don't make a commitment. If you can't decide, or you want to take another visit, then you simply don't commit that day. " It's a pretty simple concept. Kids know other schools have this policy. No reason why TNM can't.

Recruit these kids hard without accepting a verbal commitment until after their junior season. Let them take visits and see other schools. It also gives the staff more time to evaluate.

I think changing the narrative on the commitment/de-commitment issues is part of changing the perception of Miami with all the kids. Right now, it's just too easy for them to do. There's no fear or concern or even any degree of being uncomfortable doing it. If we want to have these top level OOS kids take us seriously, we have to not only win but we have to get this issue under control. It's a bad look. I think Manny is in the perfect position to take a stand - he's the new guy establishing his rep. Just my two cents.

Advertisement
I happen to think you can refuse to take these early commitments-especially from Sophomores - without as much local push back as everyone thinks. There will always be the Uncle Luke's who make a big, public scene. But I think if it's presented the way the Clemson recruit described, it isn't insulting or negative to anyone. These younger guys ARE excited to get the offer and say they are committed. It's like joining an exclusive club. The problem is the novelty of being in that "club" wears off when others start taking visits, publishing lists on social media, etc.
" this is a serious commitment and if you're not serious about it, then don't make a commitment. If you can't decide, or you want to take another visit, then you simply don't commit that day. " It's a pretty simple concept. Kids know other schools have this policy. No reason why TNM can't.

Recruit these kids hard without accepting a verbal commitment until after their junior season. Let them take visits and see other schools. It also gives the staff more time to evaluate.

I think changing the narrative on the commitment/de-commitment issues is part of changing the perception of Miami with all the kids. Right now, it's just too easy for them to do. There's no fear or concern or even any degree of being uncomfortable doing it. If we want to have these top level OOS kids take us seriously, we have to not only win but we have to get this issue under control. It's a bad look. I think Manny is in the perfect position to take a stand - he's the new guy establishing his rep. Just my two cents.
The issue is the coaches are the ones who supposedly are pushing for these early commitments.

You recruit the **** out of someone just as good or better. Kids will eventually learn to grab a spot and hold on to it as when the bus is full it is full and you hope the kids that play games are on the outside looking in.

He had his spot and is choosing to play the game. Can't wait for his top six to include UbaGA, BAMA, Clem$on, AU, someone like Tenne$$ee and UM. We know that story all too well. But pull the ship and moving on is dumb. Looking for a kid that is committed and wants to be a Cane is dumb. Looking for a kid that will not waste our resources is dumb.

Unless you know this kid is going to be 100% a Cane your plan is all well and good until he grabs the Cane hat off the table and throws it to the ground to punk us on his selection day. You can almost see the family in the background now all excited as he picks some hillbilly schools hat as they know he is their cash cow for the next four years.

We waste too much time on divas looking for bags. Then we miss on players that could help us because we have to coddle said diva and their families, only to watch them grab bags in the end. No thanks

This is a wonderfully optimistic view of our program and I respect that. But that optimism gets torn to shreds when faced with reality.

Kids "learn to grab a spot" when you are fielding a consistent winner. Five years ago Clemson couldn't cherry pick the best of the best from across the country. They built their program by adopting a philosphy of taking kids they felt fit what they were trying to accomplish. Now they are reaping the rewards of their success.

We are at that stage right now. There is time in the day to recruit dozens of targets. It's not like if Banda or Patke calls or texts player A he won't have the time to contact player B. These coaches aren't novices. They know how to handle every type of player they recruit..

Can't look back on the past. Each coach gets a clean slate to do things his way.

Advertisement

Winning cures our reruiting issues... some issues can't be fixed because of social media and now kids want to travel, they travel all over the states for tournaments/camps and etc and sometimes some kids want to leave sofla ex marcus dumervil..... but the decomits is def something easy to keep under control if you want to take other visits dont commit lol we shouldn't even let kids commit two years off lol if you aren't a jr you cant commit yet....

Advertisement
The issue is the coaches are the ones who supposedly are pushing for these early commitments.

This is where I am at. It's one thing if a rising junior the staff feels strongly about claims to be serious about committing, the coaches are asking him if he is sure and explaining the expectations for a "UM commit," and the kid is adamant about committing to UM. In that instance, I don't think the staff has a choice and should accept the commit.

But if the staff is pushing hard for these early commits (as some have suggested) and pressuring sophomores and kids at the start of their junior year to commit, that's a mistake and I just don't get the thinking.

Advertisement
These kids who commit as sophomores get bored being "committed" and feel like they are missing out. Happens all the time. I really hope Manny and staff figure out a way around this.

I saw this on Clemson board the other night:

"You just have to understand, you're not going to de-commit from Clemson," Mayes said. "And you don't go visit other schools while you're committed to Clemson. Coach Swinney tells you that this is a serious commitment and if you're not serious about it, then don't make a commitment.
"Coach Swinney never pressures you to commit because if you can't make that commitment, then he doesn't want it. If you can't decide, or you want to take another visit, then you simply don't commit to Clemson that day.

Love that approach, but let's be honest, it's far more effective when you've got bags to back it up.

Like I said, with these early commits, it’s amateur ****. Golden did the same **** and lost many commits. To be fair, Richt did too.

its a loose lose. if a kid wants to commit and you dont let them, they ***** and moan and hold it against you. if allow them to commit early, they mostly bounce later on. we can't get away w clemsons mindset bc UM is held to a diff standard by these little turncoats

Love that approach, but let's be honest, it's far more effective when you've got bags to back it up.

also more effective when the kids doing it to UM aren't the local kids who will tell everyone and their mom bout how UM didn't want them

Advertisement
Back