RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

Advertisement
I'm totally in favor of a power spread. It's the same thing bama runs, and if that's what he's going to bring I'm all for it. We have to get back to being able to run the ball on teams when we want to, and we haven't been able to do that for quite some time now. Time for that to change.

It doesn't matter if we run air raid, pro style bro, lethal simplicity, etc. if we don't fix the OL we're never going to take that next step.

We should be able to overwhelm Bethune and Southern Miss early in the season but that A&M game will tell us how much Gattis/Mario are going to adapt this offense to our personnel.
This is very true. We simply can't keep trying to cover up the glaring hole that's been the offensive line. I'm confident that Mario and Mirabal will be able to recruit and develop guys enough to where that's not a glaring issue in the future. But right now, the OL is the weakest portion of our offense and Gattis is going to have to gameplan around that accordingly. If anyone thinks he's going to be able to call games at Miami the same way he called games at Michigan last year, they're in for some real disappointment. That entire offense revolved around the fact that their O line was considered the best unit in college football. A lot of their offense falls quite flat if you don't have the dominant pieces up front required to run the system. Miami trying to run Michigan's offense would be like a triple option team transitioning to the Air Raid. There's only so much you can do without the horses.

The Gattis hire is obviously a big boy move and I'm VERY excited to see how it unfolds.

There's a lot of discussion aiming to understand what does Gattis' offense look like. I don't think we'll have a clear answer on that front (aside from general characterizations such as "Power Spread") because Gattis seems like someone who is adaptable and has worked within frameworks established by the HC and OCs he's worked with, while refining them and ultimately executing them through playcalling on gameday.

So, I think the real question is "What will the offense that Gattis designs for Miami look like when structured for the the unique context of the Miami program and Cristobal's mandates."

I believe the best way to assess this is to look at Mario's time at Alabama (2013-2016) and Gattis' time at Alabama (2018).

Mario was at Alabama when Nick Saban brought in Lane Kiffin to modernize the offense from a plodding ground and pound pro style to one that incorporates modern spread and tempo concepts. So he was there to witness, install, and help coach up this transformation. Gattis was Co-OC and WR Coach at Alabama in 2018 (under Locksley as OC) when the transformational work that was started by Kiffin/Saban at Alabama basically went nuclear.

I enjoyed reading the following article to get a little more background/understanding as to this transformative period for Alabama's offense which both our HC and OC were a part of (and surely took A LOT from):

Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin and the year that changed Alabama football forever

The following are some tidbits from the article of particular note:

But for the full story of how Alabama transitioned from ground-and-pound, game-manager-QB Alabama to high-flying, first-round-QBs-and-Heisman-winning-receiver Alabama, you have to start at the beginning, when the sport's most accomplished head coach took a chance on the game's most controversial.

"I remember him saying, 'I feel like our offense is a Lamborghini, but it's headed off a cliff,' meaning we've got these great players, but are behind the times in what we're doing," said Kiffin, recalling their first meeting after he was hired. "So we needed to change directions."

"People think you go there because it's coaching rehab and you get a head job somewhere else," Kiffin told ESPN earlier this week. "I guess that's one way to approach it, and some people do. But for me, I look back at all of the things I learned under [Saban] that made me a better coach despite everything that's been said about our time together and any differences we might have had."
I believe the bolded is a core element of Mario's approach at Miami. He wants to emulate Alabama at a programmatic level, which includes approach to offensive scheming. I like to think (hope) that it doesn't mean he will simply try to run Alabama's offense without having all of the monsters Bama has to make it work, but moreso run a tailored offense that will always prioritize having a run game that you can turn to while still seeking to ultimately be as explosive as possible using modern spread concepts.

But this wouldn't be a simple course correction. Because while Saban wanted to implement the spread and use more tempo, Kiffin had very little history of doing either. At Tennessee and USC, he had run a similar pro-style attack as Alabama.
"He researched all that stuff and we'd go over it," Saban said. "... So I was kinda learning it from him, and he was learning it from other people."

For much of the next two years, Kiffin did his homework on those coaches and teams running up-tempo offenses with run-pass elements (RPOs). He paid careful attention to what Steve Sarkisian, whom he worked with at USC, was doing as head coach at Washington, racking up more than 600 total yards of offense in a game five times during the 2013 season.

Thompson said Briles' attendance was no coincidence.

"There's not a coach that comes to a clinic that Nick doesn't sit down with individually and talk to and the coaches on the offensive and defensive side of the ball talk to those guys, too," Thompson said. "Every coach from another program, every coach that's brought in for an interview, is brought in for a purpose."

That purpose: "To gain new information."
This excerpt about Saban's annual coaching clinic and his sit down sessions with all the coaches that come through makes me think of Mario's extensive hiring process. I want to hope that he has prioritized doing a capable job of learning from the concepts and philosophies of each of the coaches he sat down with. I also want to hope that Gattis will seek to bring the best of the offensive philosophies and schemes he has worked with throughout his career.

With that being said, one of the key concerns with bringing an offense that is less systemic in nature is it being prone to get too complex and too multiple to the point that it lacks identity, and even worse, becomes too complicated for college kids operating within NCAA restrictions on practice/prep time to master in year 1. If it's a system that takes 2-3 years for the offense to hum than that is a real concern. I think this concern aligns with many who wanted an Air Raid based offense for us--with Air Raid there's a more easily adoptable system that works at the college level.

That was no accident. Thompson said that during the lead up to the season, Kiffin shortened the terminology of plays, cutting 10-word calls in half in order to make things easier for everyone to understand, and Sims responded by passing for more yards (3,487) than anybody in the history of Alabama football had passed for to that point.

Whereas the year before the playbook was the size of a novel, Kelly said, it was suddenly condensed into a single chapter.
This is something that I HOPE Gattis, Cristobal, and the offensive staff prioritize--make sure the playbook and system does not become overly burdensome, and as a result, ineffective. From my vantage point, what pro style really means to me is endless complexity and options for what an offense runs.

"Everybody says that I go through so many guys on offense," Saban said. "Look, I learn from all of them. We went through a transformation when Lane was here ... intentionally. It was intentional. I wanted to, and he wanted to, too, and we've continued to build."

When Kiffin left, Alabama's offense only got scarier under future offensive coordinators Mike Locksley and Sarkisian. The program produced first-round quarterbacks in Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones, who put up record-setting numbers when throwing to game-breaking, first-round receivers like Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, Jaylen Waddle and last year's Heisman winner, DeVonta Smith.

Enter Gattis. Mario was present and involved in the process for the evolution of the offense and Gattis was present and involved in the process of the offense taking a peak form. This was after Gattis worked as Passing Game Coordinator at Penn State where Joe Moorhead (OC) led the PSU offense to be one of the best in the country in 2017.

Of course, after Alabama Gattis has most recently been in Michigan where he was the OC but working under a HC with an offensive focus. Michigan had their best season under Gattis this past year of course. Some have made a lot of the fact that Harbaugh brought in a QB coach from the Baltimore Ravens system to help further develop their run concepts. I think it's a great thing that Gattis was able to oversee and implement an increasingly sophisticated running attack.

My hope is that Gattis can build off of each of his experiences, and in partnership with Cristobal, Mirabal (legitimately one of the best OL coaches in the nation IMO), and the rest of the staff (would be bad *** if Gattis can bring Sherrone Moore as TE coach/run game coordinator) develop the blue prints for what Miami's offense under Cristobal will look like. With that hope is also a hope that it will be ever evolving and refined by all the coaches that come through while remaining true to core principles and identity.

Advertisement
I'm inclined to agree with you. But I think King is just a bad QB. Lashlees response when criticized for being conservative and not taking shots was basically "we did." He pointed out this guy was open, this guy was open, this is the wrong RPO read here and he was correct every time.

If King isn't a "passing" QB and can't run the RPO, can't read when to keep it or give it what can he do? 2020 was probably his best year ever if you take into account the competition. He was a leader and relatively reliable. I think Lashlees was held hostage by what he could do. Our run game wasn't doing anything unless Cheney was in the game.
He did just fine at Houston before coming here when he had an OC that played to his strengths. You don't put up 36 TDs:6 Ints on 63.5% passing for 3,000 yards and 700 yards rushing with another 14 TDs in one season if you are a bad QB.

He did just fine at Houston before coming here when he had an OC that played to his strengths. You don't put up 36 TDs:6 Ints on 63.5% passing for 3,000 yards and 700 yards rushing with another 14 TDs in one season if you are a bad QB.
I disagree because of the competition. Those numbers came largely against no one.

For me it's like a scaled down version of the best possible Randel El if he tried to be an NFL QB. He wouldn't be able to do the stuff he did in college.

I agree with you on the talent and agree with you that Michigan wasn’t going to win that game but the gameplan they used was completely trash. They ran right into the strength of the UGA and didn’t even try to adjust. Everyone and they grandma knew that running game Michigan had wasn’t going to work except Michigan.
Thing is Michigan doesn't have the QB he would turn it over. So they did what they had to then fell behind and it was lights out. There QB is rosier type he was done. That game was over when it was scheduled

I disagree because of the competition. Those numbers came largely against no one.

For me it's like a scaled down version of the best possible Randel El if he tried to be an NFL QB. He wouldn't be able to do the stuff he did in college.
Respect your stance and opinion, disagree with it. Last year he kept playing with one knee and shoulder after Manny kept pushing him out there. I’m not sure what you were expecting out of him knowing that.

Advertisement
Thing is Michigan doesn't have the QB he would turn it over. So they did what they had to then fell behind and it was lights out. There QB is rosier type he was done. That game was over when it was scheduled
Sometimes good coordinators and teams just run into teams that are a lot better talent wise than they are

What did Michigan do against teams they were evenly matched with is what I care about

I’m tired of being outcoached by ACC teams that are even or below us and having dogfights every single week

Sometimes good coordinators and teams just run into teams that are a lot better talent wise than they are

What did Michigan do against teams they were evenly matched with is what I care about

I’m tired of being outcoached by ACC teams that are even or below us and having dogfights every single week
The system he ran will cause the acc fits.

We will lose some games though cause imo the talent isn't there yet the way a elite team is. I know people disagree but the drafts will prove that. Everyone thinks cause u produce u have to be a high pick and sometimes that's not the case. When Mario stacks we will see a huge difference in speed strength and physicality. But it won't be cause he's some magical genius it will be because he got the elite players that perform cause they are just good.

We will lose some games though cause imo the talent isn't there yet the way a elite team is. I know people disagree but the drafts will prove that. Everyone thinks cause u produce u have to be a high pick and sometimes that's not the case. When Mario stacks we will see a huge difference in speed strength and physicality. But it won't be cause he's some magical genius it will be because he got the elite players that perform cause they are just good.
We’ve talked about this so much but it’s so true

This 2022 class was gonna do exactly what we’ve had problems with

Having a good class followed up by an absolute dud. Can’t build depth or roster balance like that and it’s plagued us for 20 years

Advertisement
It doesn't matter if we run air raid, pro style bro, lethal simplicity, etc. if we don't fix the OL we're never going to take that next step.

We should be able to overwhelm Bethune and Southern Miss early in the season but that A&M game will tell us how much Gattis/Mario are going to adapt this offense to our personnel.
208 days. What's this year's countdown look like?

Creativity with our running game?
The Kid Mero Wow GIF by Desus & Mero

Long overdue...looooooong overdue.

We’ve talked about this so much but it’s so true

This 2022 class was gonna do exactly what we’ve had problems with

Having a good class followed up by an absolute dud. Can’t build depth or roster balance like that and it’s plagued us for 20 years
yup and we be missing the true beasts and sometimes a kid in sfla is high rated and lives off his HS film, his legend grows here cause the HS film and then its mega concerning when those prospects are ignored by bama osu clemson uga, huge red flag to me. Now u will see us win the battles vs the guys they want, then u will see what a UM player from old will look like now. Cant wait man cant fuqin wait

Advertisement
Remember when everyone was talking about all the motion Penos used and how wild it was

And then the UF game happened and he used all kinds of crazy motion on the first drive and we marched down the field easily on them

And then he never did it again? Like. Ever.

Sorry I just have to release that negativity every so often

Exactly.

We need coaches who are going to do everything they can for all 12 games. Not guys who flash promise and then go into a shell at the first sign of adversity. Not guys who go back to the same 4 or 5 plays for most of the season.

Perry’s best game was the bowl game under Lashlee, who knew what kind of game to call to maximize his abilities. FAU’s coaches were able to get 61% 2770 and 20TDs out of Perry.

Rhett Lashlee inherited the same offensive players and brought in a quarterback and his offense finished 26th in scoring. Everyone knows D’Eriq King is limited as a passer so Lashlee tailored the offense around his athleticism. He didn’t put him under center and make him take seven step drops with a line that couldn’t block. He didn’t ask him to go through multiple, time consuming post snap reads. This is what good coaches do. Any coach can be good if they have talent at every position. Good coaches find ways to make their system work even when they’re not loaded with star players.

You're comparing apples to oranges, and giving Lashlee way too much credit for the improvement in offensive production from Enos. It's really very simple. Lashlee led a more productive offense because King was better than any QB Enos had during his only yr @ MIA. Enos's QB room wasn't even G5 caliber. 2 out of 3 QBs he had in his room, couldn't even cut it at that level. Just think about that for a second, and let it sink in. Harping on offensive philosophy & stubbornness makes no sense, when you're forced to deal with this sort of personnel. The differences in results between approaches would be marginal at best. At Arkansas Enos was not known to be a stubborn coach. That's why they went 12 personnel the majority of the time, in order to highlight the strengths of that roster.

The problem with this fanbase is that it is comprised almost entirely of star whores, and fair weather fans. They routinely end up inflating & overrating our talent, while simultaneously absolving them of any responsibility whatsoever. Not every coach that has come through this program in the last 20 yrs has been a corch. That's just a false narrative being propagated by s.fla shills, and delusional alumni.

This past yr @ MD, Enos actually led an offense that was more productive & efficient than the one Lashlee led @ MIA. You would never know that though, if you spent all of your time on this forum, listening to mongoloids.

Furthermore, look at the improvements that Tua's brother made this past yr under Enos's tutelage. Has Lashlee in his career as P5 coordinator ever had a QB this productive?? I'll wait for you to look that up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back