RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

You see it in the NFL and now you see it in college football the run game is limited by the type of athlete we have today. Kids are bigger, stronger and faster the run game is all but extinct. Do I like it no way. It’s like the old AFL too much passing takes away football the way I grew up watching it but you have to adapt it’s really that simple.

Advertisement
You see it in the NFL and now you see it in college football the run game is limited by the type of athlete we have today. Kids are bigger, stronger and faster the run game is all but extinct. Do I like it no way. It’s like the old AFL too much passing takes away football the way I grew up watching it but you have to adapt it’s really that simple.
College football teams still run the ball more than they pass it on average. They just run it differently than they used to and from different formations.

I watched Michigan closely this year and here's my takeaway with their offense: 1) their offensive identity was their offensive line 2) the other strengths of the team were RBs and TEs 3) their QB play was average - McNamara is solid but he's limited in terms of what he can do both throwing and running.

Therefore, Gattis and company built the offense to play to their strengths - heavy run game, play action but being very explosive in the passing game. Let's be honest, we all know Mario wants to bully teams so running the ball will be a priority but don't forget Mario called TVD "the best QB in the country" so he will ride him as well.

Advertisement
I didn’t want an Air Raid.

People seem to think any offense that passes the more than 20 times a game is an Air Raid lol.

There’s a sliding scale between what Leach does & what Riley does, this board just over-simplifies everything.

Bama, OH ST, Pitt, Wake, Purdue, Utah ST, Nevada & Fresno ST were all top 10 in passing, all of them (except for Purdue) won 10+ games & none of them run Air Raid.

You can win running the ball a lot too, UGA, Michigan, Utah, Baylor, Coastal Carolina & Oregon all won with their physical rushing attack. And that will be Miami’s bread & butter going forward.

Our future success will be hinged upon the LOS.

there's a stat where teams that pass more than 40 times a game or more, usually lose. That's telling. Lot's of variables going into this, but generally if you dont have the ability to run the ball when you need to, or have to, it's an issue. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to be 50-50 in run/pass ratio, but you have to have the potential to do both effectively on a consistent basis

Respectfully, I can’t watch these breakdowns because we had em for Dan Penos and it made it seem like the offense would be humming.

The issue is the dummies on this forum routinely engage in binary thinking. This notion that Enos's offensive philosophy deserves the majority of the blame for his failure @ MIA is insane. Who was his QB when he was @ MIA? Was that QB not a lazy bum, who rather smoke Weed than dedicate himself to becoming better? Just look at the trajectory that his career has taken since transferring from MIA. At least Enos is still employed somewhere as an OC @ a P5 school. Now go down the line and ask similar types of questions about the offensive line & WRs on that team as well. The expectation that Enos should've gotten more out of that personnel in his 1st yr is absurd.

Also tell me who recruited TVD to MIA? Did TVD not commit to playing for Dan Enos? Why would he do that if he didn't have a reputation for being a solid OC, and developer of QBs? He also identified & evaluated Garcia early in his recruitment as well.

Last edited:
there's a stat where teams that pass more than 40 times a game or more, usually lose. That's telling. Lot's of variables going into this, but generally if you dont have the ability to run the ball when you need to, or have to, it's an issue. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to be 50-50 in run/pass ratio, but you have to have the potential to do both effectively on a consistent basis
That’s really a misleading stat because teams tend to run the ball more when they’re winning and throw it a lot when they’re down big. The truth is, almost every coach wants balance. Only one team threw the ball more than 70% of the time last year and only 7 threw it more than 60% of the time. Miami was 11th in pass play percentage last year and it was only 56%.

It’s not about running the ball or passing the ball as much as it’s about running the offense that beat fits your players. Miami threw the ball a lot because they had a weak run blocking line and an incredible quarterback. That’s the adjustment that good coaches make. Bad coaches force what they want to do on their players whether they have the talent to do so or not.

The issue is the dummies on this forum routinely engage in binary thinking. This notion that Enos's offensive philosophy deserves the majority of the blame for his failure is insane. Who was his QB when he was @ MIA? Was that QB not a lazy bum, who rather smoke Weed than dedicate himself to becoming better? Just look at the trajectory that his career has taken since transferring from MIA. At least Enos is still employed somewhere as an OC @ a P5 school. Now go down the line and ask similar types of questions about the offensive line & WRs as well. The expectation that Enos should've gotten more out of that personnel in his 1st yr is absurd.

Also tell me who recruited TVD to MIA? Did TVD not commit to playing for Dan Enos? Why would he do that if he didn't have a reputation for being a solid OC, and developer of QBs? He also identified & evaluated Garcia early in his recruitment as well.
Dan Enos brought in Tate Martell too. If Jarren Williams wasn’t good enough, he could have used Martell or even Perry. Once again, good coaches mold their offense around the players they have. They don’t force players to do things they don’t do well and then blame them when the offense is one of the worst in college football.

Advertisement
Dan Enos brought in Tate Martell too. If Jarren Williams wasn’t good enough, he could have used Martell or even Perry. Once again, good coaches mold their offense around the players they have. They don’t force players to do things they don’t do well and then blame them when the offense is one of the worst in college football.

1.) Bringing Martell to MIA was strictly about infusing the QB room with competition & depth. Nothing more. His 1st option was Hurts, but he ultimately chose to go to a better situation in OU, which had a much more proven & talented roster at the time.

2.) If you have to choose between Jarren, N'Kosi, & Martell, to be your QB, then I think you have much bigger problems than offensive philosophy & stubbornness as a coach. Jus sayin

The bottomline is the same things that people are saying about Enos today, were also said about Whipple prior to this yr as well. What Whipple accomplished @ Pitt this past yr, was as impressive as any offensive mind this forum sucks off on a daily basis.

In the last 20 yrs this fanbase routinely places too much of the blame for this program's misfortunes & mediocrity on the coaches. Do they deserve blame? Of course. But so do the players & administration.

Last edited:
Gattis does not employ the wide open air raid offense that many of us wanted. However, it fits Mario's brand of football so we should not be surprised.
For the life of me I don't know why we want this air raid BS. That **** ain't winning any Ships on a consistent basis.

You gotta be able to run the ball even if you're only slightly above average.

1 bad quarter and you can find yourself down multiple TDS real quick.

Plus, practicing against that type of offense will leave your defense I'll prepared and soft when having to face the Wisconsins of the world.

Advertisement
Yeah, he might wanna shut up after this post. Put some silence on those fingers @WhatTheHell. It's clear from that 2 part novel you typed that you don't know what good or bad coach looks like.

becareful he may call you a mean name and say something about penises.
Lol true... but thanks to you I don't have to even rebuttal the immaturity.

Exhibit A is right in your post. Anyone reading that won't even entertain his shenanigans

Advertisement

Wait this post wasn’t sarcasm? I always thought this was a joke 🤣🤣

For the life of me I don't know why we want this air raid BS. That **** ain't winning any Ships on a consistent basis.

You gotta be able to run the ball even if you're only slightly above average.

1 bad quarter and you can find yourself down multiple TDS real quick.

Plus, practicing against that type of offense will leave your defense I'll prepared and soft when having to face the Wisconsins of the world.
Some of us like a hybrid air raid/veer & shoot offense. They are fun to watch. I've always wanted to see what that type of offense would like with South Florida athletes.

To each his own.

At the end of the day, the object is to score more points than the opposition. If Gattis can do that, then I don't give a f^ck what kinda offense he runs.

Some of us like a hybrid air raid/veer & shoot offense. They are fun to watch. I've always wanted to see what that type of offense would like with South Florida athletes.

To each his own.

At the end of the day, the object is to score more points than the opposition. If Gattis can do that, then I don't give a f^ck what kinda offense he runs.

Yeah... I think every Miami fan would like to see what the skill position talent would look like in an open offense.

I got no argument or problem there.

My issue is people clamoring for all this open passing and not placing any hope/emphasis on the run game.

Lashlee offense was uptempo and open and scored points. When it came time to get even an INCH we couldn't do it and it was bigger than just the lack of Joe's it was Moreso the lack of creativity and the fact that every defense knew exactly what wad coming... INSIDE ZONE 🗣

I NEVER want to see that **** again.

We need a balanced attack. I like a run 1st team identity but also call plays to your teams advantage and the opposing teams disadvantage.

Advertisement
Back