RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

I only passively watched that game since it was so one sided

Always good to see both sides of the coin

Also I would like to go back and watch the Oregon/OSU game and see how Oregon and Michigan attacked OSU successfully and see if there’s similarities
UGA has a different type of stacked roster which overwhelmed Michigan. That's the only reason they won period. Michigan could of had Houdini as OC they weren't doing anything against them boys.

Advertisement
there's a stat where teams that pass more than 40 times a game or more, usually lose. That's telling. Lot's of variables going into this, but generally if you dont have the ability to run the ball when you need to, or have to, it's an issue. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to be 50-50 in run/pass ratio, but you have to have the potential to do both effectively on a consistent basis

I've always felt you pass the ball because you have to. I don't think there is a coach in America worth his salt that wouldn't love to line up and run 50 times down the their opponents throat, secure the ball, score 40+ points, and keep the ball away from the opposing offense all day long. No interceptions, tipped balls, sacks, rarely ever a TFL. You'd never lose, especially to inferior teams.

But thankfully, those Big 8 days are over. Defenses are faster and more sophisticated, and you need to be balanced and able to go vertical to thrive against the top teams with the top athletes. And thank god cause its a **** of a lot more entertaining.

I’d like to see what Roman thinks that Kirby did that so frustrated the Wolverines.
When I watched the game the biggest problem I saw was just how slow and untalented the Michigan wr’s were. Georgia played man and didn’t bother dropping but one safety the entire game stacking 8 in the box. Michigan could not make them pay. Pretty much what they did to Bama when both their star wr’s went out, Georgia D worked Bama over in the second half especially in the 4th. Only reason Bama scored at all was because they had the best oline in CFB last year plus a stud RB and a Heisman winner at QB. But even all that it was still not enough. You need a wr that will keep the D honest. I would also say that Michigan’s oline got their butts beat that game too.

there's a stat where teams that pass more than 40 times a game or more, usually lose. That's telling. Lot's of variables going into this, but generally if you dont have the ability to run the ball when you need to, or have to, it's an issue. That doesn't necessarily mean you need to be 50-50 in run/pass ratio, but you have to have the potential to do both effectively on a consistent basis
That stat is probably skewed by teams throwing when they’re down.

In CBB, Miami didn’t join the Big East until the early 90s. By then my father had already raised me to be a Cuse fan before that. I was a Cuse fan years before Miami had joined the Big East.

Let's go Orange !!

I used to have and wore for years (until it essentially disintegrated) a Syracuse Beasts of the Big East t shirt.

Advertisement
I watched Michigan closely this year and here's my takeaway with their offense: 1) their offensive identity was their offensive line 2) the other strengths of the team were RBs and TEs 3) their QB play was average - McNamara is solid but he's limited in terms of what he can do both throwing and running.

Therefore, Gattis and company built the offense to play to their strengths - heavy run game, play action but being very explosive in the passing game. Let's be honest, we all know Mario wants to bully teams so running the ball will be a priority but don't forget Mario called TVD "the best QB in the country" so he will ride him as well.

This is where I’m at as well. I think Michigan fans will look at 2022 Miami offense and think “where was that last year?” I think gattis can call different types of offenses and like you said, cater to his strengths. Between TVD and our skill position players, we are much better than Michigan. My only concern is if Mario wants to slow games down and go more pro style than aggressive. I think we’ll be fine with gattis.

1.) Bringing Martell to MIA was strictly about infusing the QB room with competition & depth. Nothing more. His 1st option was Hurts, but he ultimately chose to go to a better situation in OU, which had a much more proven & talented roster at the time.

2.) If you have to choose between Jarren, N'Kosi, & Martell, to be your QB, then I think you have much bigger problems than offensive philosophy & stubbornness as a coach. Jus sayin

The bottomline is the same things that people are saying about Enos today, were also said about Whipple prior to this yr as well. What Whipple accomplished @ Pitt this past yr, was as impressive as any offensive mind this forum sucks off on a daily basis.

In the last 20 yrs this fanbase routinely places too much of the blame for this program's misfortunes & mediocrity on the coaches. Do they deserve blame? Of course. But so do the players & administration.
Perry’s best game was the bowl game under Lashlee, who knew what kind of game to call to maximize his abilities. FAU’s coaches were able to get 61% 2770 and 20TDs out of Perry.

Whipple actually had good a good offense here, Enos didn’t. One guy finished 31st in scoring, the other guy finished 90th.

Rhett Lashlee inherited the same offensive players and brought in a quarterback and his offense finished 26th in scoring. Everyone knows D’Eriq King is limited as a passer so Lashlee tailored the offense around his athleticism. He didn’t put him under center and make him take seven step drops with a line that couldn’t block. He didn’t ask him to go through multiple, time consuming post snap reads. This is what good coaches do. Any coach can be good if they have talent at every position. Good coaches find ways to make their system work even when they’re not loaded with star players.

Advertisement
I remember Dan Enos creativity. So much motion and formation shifts. Reverse and double reverses all over the place. He probably would be considered a good coach had he stayed on as the Alabama OC.

I want to be pessimistic because we have a safety as an OC and (probably) WR coach and I know the offense will have a slower tempo (I didn't think our 75 plays a game felt that fast anyway). But Golden was a TE who made his hives as a DC. Coached TEs in the league last year and LBs this year. I had a QB coach in HS tell me he had to coach OL at a div3 school. Said that's what you have to be willing to do.

But Gattis has a legit record and seems like a home run hire. Both OC and DC are guys with exceptional big time experience at big time programs. Neither of them a **** choice. But this seems like a solid staff.

Sometimes dudes are really good at learning, researching, and teaching mechanics even if it wasn't their original position. Coach Kul, despite being a lazy recruiter, has always been respected for his DL work, but he was an OL as a player. One of the best QB mentors in the private coaching sector right now (Quincy Avery) was a Wide Receiver at a D2 school (I'll admit he played QB in high school).

I remember Dan Enos creativity. So much motion and formation shifts. Reverse and double reverses all over the place. He probably would be considered a good coach had he stayed on as the Alabama OC.

I want to be pessimistic because we have a safety as an OC and (probably) WR coach and I know the offense will have a slower tempo (I didn't think our 75 plays a game felt that fast anyway). But Golden was a TE who made his hives as a DC. Coached TEs in the league last year and LBs this year. I had a QB coach in HS tell me he had to coach OL at a div3 school. Said that's what you have to be willing to do.

But Gattis has a legit record and seems like a home run hire. Both OC and DC are guys with exceptional big time experience at big time programs. Neither of them a **** choice. But this seems like a solid staff.
Not that I'm trying to defend Enos, but we looked great for one drive against Florida. And then they adjusted. Williams has to share some of the blame for being high all the time. I'm sure he didn't work much in the film room.

Our QB room is miles ahead now and I can't wait to see this year.

I dont care what kind of offense he runs..as long as he knows that TVD is his biggest strength and weapon and its not close. Dont force something that isnt a strength as of yet. (power run game) He will be hit with a reality check come Spring ball when he sees that the OL has to be totally revamped if he wants to incorporate power running for 50% of the game. Its just not our strength right now.

I am not saying dont run the ball but hopefully he isnt stubborn either and tries to force something that isnt there yet. In time once he gets his OL recruits in like Conerly Jr and those types...it will be. But next year? LMAO. Uhhhhh..No. I dont care how great of a OL coach Mirabel is.

I’d like to see what Roman thinks that Kirby did that so frustrated the Wolverines.
Put NFL talent on the field at every level of the defense. UMich couldn't block them. The frustrating to me about that game, was UMich no rollouts, and no screen game. When you can't block the DL up front, and that's your calling card, you have problems. When that happens, you have to do something a little different. Move the pocket. Throw a screen or two. But I guess you do the stuff that got you to that game. I don't know if anyone in Maize and Blue (Coaches as well) thought that UGAs front 7 was gonna be that formidable. It's like they were saying, "This stuff worked vs. the B1G gahdamnit, it should work against anybody!" They looked like us vs. Bama. Coaching and playing scared! The game plan vs. UGA, didn't look anything like the game plan vs. OSU. Jus sayin.

Advertisement
I think the biggest improvement in offense will come from our significant upgrade in OL coaching. We haven't had that for decades
Justice wasnt that bad. Is he Mirabel? No but Mirabel also had alot better talent to work with at Oregon. Justice was given scraps.

When Bryant McKinnie sat down with the OL group prior to the 2020 season and studied film with them, etc..a blogger or reporter asked him, among other questions, did he think anyone in the room had NFL potential...and BMcKinnie kind of snickered and was like, "Maybe #55 (was speaking of Donaldson) but the rest have a ways to go". (This is prior to this past season before Zion "blew up" and we found out Donaldson was always going to be a JAG).

The point im making is lets not fly the banners if Mirabel doesnt show instant success with this group. And Mario will get a rude awakening come Spring ball when he realizes incorporating a power run game might have to wait for a recruiting cycle or two. (or he will have to hit the portal)

Advertisement
UGA has a different type of stacked roster which overwhelmed Michigan. That's the only reason they won period. Michigan could of had Houdini as OC they weren't doing anything against them boys.
I agree with you on the talent and agree with you that Michigan wasn’t going to win that game but the gameplan they used was completely trash. They ran right into the strength of the UGA and didn’t even try to adjust. Everyone and they grandma knew that running game Michigan had wasn’t going to work except Michigan.

It doesn't matter if we run air raid, pro style bro, lethal simplicity, etc. if we don't fix the OL we're never going to take that next step.

We should be able to overwhelm Bethune and Southern Miss early in the season but that A&M game will tell us how much Gattis/Mario are going to adapt this offense to our personnel.

Do people just forget him forcing King to run the RPO for half a season (ignoring 2020) despite the fact that he was not running it correctly? Yes it was humming with TVD but there was a lot of season with very little adapting before that.

I'm inclined to agree with you. But I think King is just a bad QB. Lashlees response when criticized for being conservative and not taking shots was basically "we did." He pointed out this guy was open, this guy was open, this is the wrong RPO read here and he was correct every time.

If King isn't a "passing" QB and can't run the RPO, can't read when to keep it or give it what can he do? 2020 was probably his best year ever if you take into account the competition. He was a leader and relatively reliable. I think Lashlees was held hostage by what he could do. Our run game wasn't doing anything unless Cheney was in the game.

Advertisement
Back