RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

I dont care what kind of offense he runs..as long as he knows that TVD is his biggest strength and weapon and its not close. Dont force something that isnt a strength as of yet. (power run game) He will be hit with a reality check come Spring ball when he sees that the OL has to be totally revamped if he wants to incorporate power running for 50% of the game. Its just not our strength right now.

I am not saying dont run the ball but hopefully he isnt stubborn either and tries to force something that isnt there yet. In time once he gets his OL recruits in like Conerly Jr and those types...it will be. But next year? LMAO. Uhhhhh..No. I dont care how great of a OL coach Mirabel is.
I guess he didn't read the memo.

Advertisement
Name the last Miami OC who wasnt bashed for being to simplistic at first?

Seems like an obvious and definite pattern. For whatever reason Miami teams have great difficulty in picking up schemes.

That is also true in terms of them picking up schemes, however Gattis specifically said he Tailors the Offense & plays around his personal. If true, then he doesn't recognize a lot of basics in my opinion, with a couple position/player Examples just below:

TE
MALLORY
- Sr., with returning production. Has always struggled with blocking, so he's below average to average at best when in line blocking. Really good hands & strait line fast for a tight end with long strides. Manny & now Gattis run a similar or couple similar plays where he releases off the end when in line or from H back spot to sprint to flat or 5-7 yard out, where he then has a slower transfer & less athletic movement to get that momentum moving up field...Mallory is best for running up the seem (from Inline or Slot or H-back) to Post/corners, or deeper than 5-7 yard Ins/Outs, where LB's have hard time keeping with his speed, but coaches make it easy when you run those short out routes.
ARROYO is much more athletic in his movement. He often comes out of the H back spot, or in line & occasionally the slot. On those same out routes, he's shown to be much more fluid in catching the ball and W/ smooth quick transition of securing the ball & getting his momentum up feild without giving the D time to close on him. He's a better blocker by far. With lack of receivers, he's not targeted nearly enough.
SKINNER - Should be getting a handful of snaps at least, from the slot.
MAMMARELLI - Plays a lot, but legit only when they are going to run the ball, as he's probably the best blocking TE. Thats predictable. How does Gattis not use that and have him block and release, especially in the red zone?! He can catch it too. Not saying better than any of the other mentioned, but he's np slouch either.

RB
MTSU played almost all game single high safety w/ Quarters (each corner playing a third, with aim of letting nothing behind them). They almost always had 1 or 2 more guys in the box, effectively taking away the strength of our Offense to this point, the run game. Aside from having more guys in the box, they also pressured & Blitzed a fair amount, especially w/ predictable down/Distances.....
KNIGHTON (Rooster) - Was the most dangerous weapon slipping out of the backfield whether it be fake hand off, chip, slip out the middle and settle with a quick 5 yard curl and the safety option for the QB, or slipping out to the flat, or W/ pressure, sell that and have him pull back running a screen! (which always a chance he takes it to the end-zone or at the least it keeps D honest and not pinning their ears back. Enos only & best scheme was the screen game.
B Smith - Out of slot, we haven't probed very much to stress the D. Again with his speed and athleticism, Bubble screen to keep D honest and not just defending shots downfield, or long developing play concepts. You need to pressure North, East, West, Delayed, etc. Also, I see other coaches do it, Like when our Frosh corner came on in place of Couch who got hurt, they immediately targeted him for a big score. I haven't seen Gattis do this and stay on it, or det it up & come back to it in the a game at all.

Lastly
QB
TVD
- needs to stride and plant his foot in order to drop dimes like we know he can. If he has a smaller pocket, you can see his stride off and his ball sails or inaccurate. Aside from bailing out of the pocket too soon, which shows he's shaky right now, and his eyes are down closer to the O line and LB level, rather than looking down field like he was last year. He also has a slower release, and a more side arm motion. He has missed throws yes, but Gattis has not schemed things up to what his QB likes & excels at. Thats just ******* stupid when you have a kid who showed you he can do it, and he can process info quicker than most and can drop dimes over 20 yrs (The deep ball)
GARCIA - Has excellent mechanics. has a quicker release than TVD, and can operate in a smaller pocket due to a shorter stride, and elite footwork. Also a more vocal leader, and Ra Ra guy. I think the Offense responds better to him than TVD nonchalant golf demeanor. He's more accurate, but think TVD may be more durable. This offense fits him better, including play action, where he gets his head around quick. Bottom line is they are both NFL level talent. I have said this from the go, and always liked Jake more, but still feel TVD should get the starter snaps, but give Jake a few series, and even offset the optics and give Jaccuri Brown snaps or series, especially in the Red zone where they have struggled to score. Jacurri legs give an element hard to Defend.

Advertisement
After rewatching that breakdown, it's hard not to question whether Gattis was actually calling those plays for michigan last year. I know there's the rumor out there that Harbaugh had a heavy influence on Michigan's O.

Is it weird that I'm jealous Michigan had WRs line up outside the hash lol

GARCIA - Has excellent mechanics. has a quicker release than TVD, and can operate in a smaller pocket due to a shorter stride, and elite footwork. Also a more vocal leader, and Ra Ra guy. I think the Offense responds better to him than TVD nonchalant golf demeanor. He's more accurate, but think TVD may be more durable. This offense fits him better, including play action, where he gets his head around quick. Bottom line is they are both NFL level talent. I have said this from the go, and always liked Jake more, but still feel TVD should get the starter snaps, but give Jake a few series, and even offset the optics and give Jaccuri Brown snaps or series, especially in the Red zone where they have struggled to score. Jacurri legs give an element hard to Defend.
This is a terrible breakdown especially the part about jake being more accurate. :stephenahand:

Advertisement
Advertisement

I see y'all frustration with Gattis because no way this is the same QB from last year to this year. Totally different person.

The lack of pushing the ball down the field with Gattis as oppose to Lashlee is night and day. Pass to set up the run seemed like the move last year but it's reversed this year.

A glaring difference too, and I could be wrong, is that it seemed like when y'all got to the 10 yard line/goal line, Lashlee put the ball in TVD's hands more than Gattis does.

I see y'all frustration with Gattis because no way this is the same QB from last year to this year. Totally different person.

The lack of pushing the ball down the field with Gattis as oppose to Lashlee is night and day. Pass to set up the run seemed like the move last year but it's reversed this year.

A glaring difference too, and I could be wrong, is that it seemed like when y'all got to the 10 yard line/goal line, Lashlee put the ball in TVD's hands more than Gattis does.

hes being coached by two morons right now.

Glaring differences in those highlights compare to this year is that WR/TE were WIDE open on a lot of plays. The only time I seen wide open WR this year was on the flea flicker early this year.

Advertisement
hes being coached by two morons right now.

Glaring differences in those highlights compare to this year is that WR/TE were WIDE open on a lot of plays. The only time I seen wide open WR this year was on the flea flicker early this year.

the only creative play we had lol. playbook will open up soon

Low key, Lashlee dialed up that corner fade route in the red zone a lot too last year now that i'm spinning the block on Youtube right now looking at y'all offense from last year.

Is/was it mental that TVD didn't take deep shots or are they aren't called as often this year as oppose to last year? I'm looking at y'all game vs UVA and TVD went deep what seemed to be close to 10 times which is a helluva high amount. His deep ball this year doesn't look as "confident" as it did last year.

While watching a few of y'all clips from this year offensively...i'm sure he's a good kid and will be able to attend UM games in the future for free, but dayum why is Mallory being the first option a lot on this passing plays this year?

I'll say this though...it's not ALL Gattis fault from what I see....that OL is BAD (outside of Rivers).

Low key, Lashlee dialed up that corner fade route in the red zone a lot too last year now that i'm spinning the block on Youtube right now looking at y'all offense from last year.

Is/was it mental that TVD didn't take deep shots or are they aren't called as often this year as oppose to last year? I'm looking at y'all game vs UVA and TVD went deep what seemed to be close to 10 times which is a helluva high amount. His deep ball this year doesn't look as "confident" as it did last year.

While watching a few of y'all clips from this year offensively...i'm sure he's a good kid and will be able to attend UM games in the future for free, but dayum why is Mallory being the first option a lot on this passing plays this year?

I'll say this though...it's not ALL Gattis fault from what I see....that OL is BAD (outside of Rivers).
imo, a lot of it seems to be a staff disconnect with each other. the QBs dont look like theyre being coached

There are people on the board that is way better breaking down schemes but IMO

Lashlee called/encourage way more deep balls. It was almost automatic if the defense playing Rambo 1 on 1 but Lashlee has always stress the defense with the deep ball. His scheme is way more QB friendly with less thinking which translate with the QB having more confidence when throwing.

I kinda agree with you about Gattis because injury has plagued this team (while other subject) and I see flaws with our QB. But he is almost getting paid 2 mil a year and he hasn’t figured out what any of the QB’s are comfortable with and hasn’t adjusted to what the WR can do right. The TE are the first option but can’t scheme them open for sh*t.

There is also no in-game adjustment with Gattis. If something doesn’t work with Gattis scheme, the MF does it again…and again… and again. Also he has no feel for the game either. In 2022, there is no way a OC can go 2 and half games without scoring a TD. We can’t even get garbage time TD. Gattis has made himself indefensible.

First half of the season I thought it was the players even when I didn’t like the pace and condensed formation but now it’s all on Gattis.

Sorry for the long *** post lol.

Advertisement
Back