RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

I see y'all frustration with Gattis because no way this is the same QB from last year to this year. Totally different person.

The lack of pushing the ball down the field with Gattis as oppose to Lashlee is night and day. Pass to set up the run seemed like the move last year but it's reversed this year.

A glaring difference too, and I could be wrong, is that it seemed like when y'all got to the 10 yard line/goal line, Lashlee put the ball in TVD's hands more than Gattis does.

This is basically a compilation of Rambo and Harley beating coverage and/or making contested catches.
Doesn't really make a valid argument for Lashlee over Gattis. There's absolutely nothing great about most of the play designs, it's just our athletes being better than the defense's athletes.
We don't have a Rambo or Harley this year.
We can try to push the ball down field all we want, but we don't get good pass protection and we don't have anybody making contested catches or getting behind coverage.

Advertisement
This is basically a compilation of Rambo and Harley beating coverage and/or making contested catches.
Doesn't really make a valid argument for Lashlee over Gattis. There's absolutely nothing great about most of the play designs, it's just our athletes being better than the defense's athletes.
We can try to push the ball down field all we want, but we don't get good pass protection and we don't have anybody making contested catches or getting behind coverage.
Running the correct route helps too.

It’s funny watching these now because dude been ripping Gattis for the same thing he was praising him for

I am at the point where I don't hate a true Air Raid guy, because the passing concepts work and are fairly easy to learn.

But I am unsure how this would fit with the rest of the offense.

Who would you personally recommend to be the OC? Interested in your opinion as a defensive coach.

Advertisement
I said this before in another thread (forget where it was)...but in summary...

We do not make big plays...part of it is surely scheme, because we don't take many shots downfield. But also, our personnel isn't making it happen either. No one is making that guy miss, either. Most of our plays are under 6 yards. Any plays from 7+ we are one of the worst in the nation. Its not about even explosive plays in the passing game that are 25+ yards...thats part of it, sure...but we are in the deep 100s in 7+ yard plays...thats dudes just not making plays either...thats dudes just not making blocks...dudes not making contested catches...dudes dropping balls...dudes not getting open...QBs not hitting open receivers...you know the deal, brother. Its a mix.

But it doesn't help that we are one of the worst, most penalized teams in the country...once we are behind schedule, its a wrap. Drive over.

People on this forum can't wrap their mind around that maybe...just maybe...this place was actually a mess and these coaches - all have had success at the highest level elsewhere - just can't get this group of guys to buy-in and do their jobs. Too much "he's toxic" "his ego" "coRch this" "coRch that". You can knock the coaches for that, sure...but the oil + water comparison makes too much sense, to me, especially knowing what this team was like in previous years. "Its pEnos 2.0!!!" ... except Enos has two years of being a Top 30-40 offense per SP+ at - of all places - Maryland when he was in the 80s for his one season here. But its NOT us, they say. Also, another secret was Lashlee's offense was WORSE here than in his two stops at SMU.

Last edited:
Giving us a little nugget before the full breakdown, I see.
1668091682207.png

Where Is It Kyle Mooney GIF by Saturday Night Live

Absolutely, the core of football is beating the man in front of you, always will be. We have a serious deficiency of players who want to and/or can.

BUT, it's still also about being methodical, having a feel for the game, playing to your strengths and the opponents weaknesses, and in today's game, a good balance of tempo. I see barely any of that from Gattis this year.

The guys constantly look lost, not confident, and slow. Well coached teams get the most out of their players, 2* or 5*, roster issues aside, this coaching staff is not getting it done. But I do agree with you that if we had a Rambo or Harley, a couple more OL, we'd actually be able to score. It's a mess all around, culture, coaching, and roster.

Advertisement

Def this as well but is there a reason we may not be informed on as to why they haven't tried to prioritize Brashard's speed more vertically? I would have expected him to have more than 29 offensive touches this year but as we all alluded to...hard to expand the playbook when the pass pro has been downright atrocious at times. I also forget that you're most proven returning WR in X been hurt basically the whole season too which was going to hamper the passing game.

Ideally next year if these are the same returning pass catchers at WR, I would think you guys would want the hierarchy at WR to be (and please correct me if i'm wrong or you disagree) to be:

Colbie
X
Horton
Brashard
Ladson

I think Key, Romello, MR3, and JG are just...guys at WR. They are what you see and I don't see any of those 4 ever making a substantial JUMP.

I said this before in another thread (forget where it was)...but in summary...

We do not make big plays...part of it is surely scheme, because we don't take many shots downfield. But also, our personnel isn't making it happen either. No one is making that guy miss, either. Most of our plays are under 6 yards. Any plays from 7+ we are one of the worst in the nation. Its not about even explosive plays in the passing game that are 25+ yards...thats part of it, sure...but we are in the deep 100s in 7+ yard plays...thats dudes just not making plays either...thats dudes just not making blocks...dudes not making contested catches...dudes dropping balls...dudes not getting open...QBs not hitting open receivers...you know the deal, brother. Its a mix.

But it doesn't help that we are one of the worst, most penalized teams in the country...once we are behind schedule, its a wrap. Drive over.

People on this forum can't wrap their mind around that maybe...just maybe...this place was actually a mess and these coaches - all have had success at the highest level elsewhere - just can't get this group of guys to buy-in and do their jobs. Too much "he's toxic" "his ego" "coRch this" "coRch that". You can knock the coaches for that, sure...but the oil + water comparison makes too much sense, to me, especially knowing what this team was like in previous years. "Its pEnos 2.0!!!" ... except Enos has two years of being a Top 30-40 offense per SP+ at - of all places - Maryland when he was in the 80s for his one season here. But its NOT us, they say. Also, another secret was Lashlee's offense was WORSE here than in his two stops at SMU.
We relied almost exclusively on chunk plays for drives last year, and many times scored TDs on big plays.

We did not sustain drives for scores.

This year, without chunk plays, we see result: no scoring.

Advertisement
We relied almost exclusively on chunk plays for drives last year, and many times scored TDs on big plays.

We did not sustain drives for scores.

This year, without chunk plays, we see result: no scoring.
That is very true.

One thing that has not changed...we remain one of the most penalized teams in college football, poor 3rd down and red zone offense. These are baked into the cake of this group of players.

Advertisement

There is no doubt those two are missed, but the first 3 highlights on that reel are big plays to two guys who are still on the team.

My biggest issue with how Gattis calls the games, other than the absurd amount of flea-flickers, is he relies a lot more on timing and progressive reads.

The highlights from last season don't show some incredible level of football genius, but a better understanding of the teams strengths, weakness and flaws.

I see a lot more space being used to give the quarterback a higher probability of where he was going with the ball and when.

This season, our WR end up within 5 to 10 yards of each other way too much, even when teams like Duke play C2 the whole game, and basically say, "GFY."

The end results is, we have gone from a top ACC offense to a bottom one in less than a year with similar enough personnel.

That type of decline cannot be because of two players. Some decline, sure, but from an offense that scored 40 points pretty often to one that hasn't scored a TD in 9 quarters? Nah. That's on the coaches.

We should've just gone on hiatus as a program after Harley and Rambo left. Everyone would've been better off for it.
Nah, our offensive Offense doesn't make any sense. TVD struggles early, then throws for over $1,000 yards in 3 games but now we haven't scored a TD in 9 quarters.

So, it can't be about the lack of WR talent getting open, etc.

The play calling and scheme are conservative. They began protecting Jake in the UVA game because of the turnovers and are doing the same with Jacurri because of inexperience.

It's a losing strategy. It makes it easier for the defense, which makes it harder for the QB and WRs. It becomes 10x harder when you can't run the ball consistently.

Advertisement
Back