RomanCane's Gattis Breakdown:

I noticed that too

I can think of several plays that Lashlee ran last year against common opponents that were still easy money this year, had we tried them. He had a few shallow crossing concepts that would get Knighton out of the backfield in the flat where the space was vacated or if he was picked up by LB, option to a wheel route. We scored two long TDs that I can recall on that play. Same with the smash and go stuff, etc.

Advertisement
I can think of several plays that Lashlee ran last year against common opponents that were still easy money this year, had we tried them. He had a few shallow crossing concepts that would get Knighton out of the backfield in the flat where the space was vacated or if he was picked up by LB, option to a wheel route. We scored two long TDs that I can recall on that play. Same with the smash and go stuff, etc.
He schemed Arroyo, Mallory, Knighton and others Wiiiiiide open at times last year. How people are making excuses for this trash this year is beyond me.

Last edited:
He schemed Arroyo, Mallory, Knighton and others Wiiiiiide open at times last year. How people are making excuses for this trash this year is beyond me.
That's one of the things (among many) that stands out between the two. Gattis doesn't seem like he is doing any scheming. It looks like he scripts plays 1-85 a week in advance and hits play on the tape and hopes it works. No adjustments to scheme or personnel.

Lashlee, for all his faults, made adjustments and would scheme players wide-open by setting up plays that would pay off later. A perfect example is all the times Mallory leaked out wide open for TDs or huge chunk plays. All of those were set up very early in the game.

That's one of the things (among many) that stands out between the two. Gattis doesn't seem like he is doing any scheming. It looks like he scripts plays 1-85 a week in advance and hits play on the tape and hopes it works. No adjustments to scheme or personnel.

Lashlee, for all his faults, made adjustments and would scheme players wide-open by setting up plays that would pay off later. A perfect example is all the times Mallory leaked out wide open for TDs or huge chunk plays. All of those were set up very early in the game.
A great play caller is putting things on film weeks in advance to play off of in the future. He does nothing like that, but he did run multiple flea flickers lol.

There’s zero creativity to this offense , horrible route concepts with no spacing.

A great play caller is putting things on film weeks in advance to play off of in the future. He does nothing like that, but he did run multiple flea flickers lol.

There’s zero creativity to this offense , horrible route concepts with no spacing.
That's the most frustrating thing. It's one thing to be vanilla. It's another to see what we see with Gattis out there. It's gross.

Advertisement
View attachment 214632

Where Is It Kyle Mooney GIF by Saturday Night Live
Staring George Costanza GIF

Def this as well but is there a reason we may not be informed on as to why they haven't tried to prioritize Brashard's speed more vertically? I would have expected him to have more than 29 offensive touches this year but as we all alluded to...hard to expand the playbook when the pass pro has been downright atrocious at times. I also forget that you're most proven returning WR in X been hurt basically the whole season too which was going to hamper the passing game.

Ideally next year if these are the same returning pass catchers at WR, I would think you guys would want the hierarchy at WR to be (and please correct me if i'm wrong or you disagree) to be:

Colbie
X
Horton
Brashard
Ladson

I think Key, Romello, MR3, and JG are just...guys at WR. They are what you see and I don't see any of those 4 ever making a substantial JUMP.
When you start talking Cane Xs and Os, it'll be time for Rites of Cane Initiation as an Adult in no time.

I don't think you need to say, "for all his faults," he really was a very good OC.

Advertisement

How it was hired, and why it's been allowed to go on is really concerning.

Not just about creativity, he has zero feel for the moment. His sequencing sucks. He doesn’t seem to know when to push the throttle forward or back. He doesn’t seem to understand what the QB is seeing and comfortable with.

It literally looks like he put his plays in a hat and just picks them out and calls it.

That’s the main thing I saw early in the season. Stood out from the endzone at A&M. The routes took too long to develop and there was zero space used across the middle of the field. Especially with our slow receivers. Zero adjustment to the players he has in the field.

Advertisement
Not just about creativity, he has zero feel for the moment. His sequencing sucks. He doesn’t seem to know when to push the throttle forward or back. He doesn’t seem to understand what the QB is seeing and comfortable with.

It literally looks like he put his plays in a hat and just picks them out and calls it.
I gave up all hope after the Virginia game when he called a run play on third and 8 and then punted on fourth and four. Why call a run if you’re not going for it on fourth down? You hit the nail on the head with the “pulling plays out of a hat” comment

Don’t even get me started on his terrible clock management. Going slow af when he’s losing and snapping the ball with 18 seconds left when he’s ahead and trying to run out the clock

Calling him “Tan Enos” is an insult to Enos.

I gave up all hope after the Virginia game when he called a run play on third and 8 and then punted on fourth and four. Why call a run if you’re not going for it on fourth down? You hit the nail on the head with the “pulling plays out of a hat” comment

Don’t even get me started on his terrible clock management. Going slow af when he’s losing and snapping the ball with 18 seconds left when he’s ahead and trying to run out the clock

Calling him “Tan Enos” is an insult to Enos.
Thought the same at that game......... creative O plays?, we are still looking, and can't find them..............

Advertisement
I am at the point where I don't hate a true Air Raid guy, because the passing concepts work and are fairly easy to learn.

But I am unsure how this would fit with the rest of the offense.

Who would you personally recommend to be the OC? Interested in your opinion as a defensive coach.
The OCs from Chaminade or Central.

Roman found a great OC for us! I hope he’s better than what we have!

Advertisement
Back