Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

Richt is maddening as an OC. The first half he makes me rage and the second half we get a different OC. I just don’t get why he’s Jeckle and Hyde, to me he can be a really good OC but he needs to be better for four quarters.

Advertisement
I ask only for a few things. If your going to run fades in the redzone go to Langham not Harley. Use the middle of the field more. Use Chris Herndon more.

Bubble screens worked great on last drive because the defenders were giving WRs so much cushion. There were many times during the game that they were playing 8-10 yds off the ball and we were running vertical concepts. Lots of opportunities for quick passing game. Hitch routes and quick outs are easy throws and gets the ball in playmakers hands.

ALL OF THIS

Would love to see some route concepts that actually stress the defense.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

Listen to this guy.

We are winning but we have a lot more in this team. Frustrating to be so basic on offense.

Would love to see some route concepts that actually stress the defense.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

Listen to this guy.

We are winning but we have a lot more in this team. Frustrating to be so basic on offense.

Yet another known richt hating dweeb showing up. Can't admit u were wrong about him so u take your little pot shots. Lulz. The offense is basic because it has to be, dummy.

Advertisement
I ask only for a few things. If your going to run fades in the redzone go to Langham not Harley. Use the middle of the field more. Use Chris Herndon more.

I get get the use Herndon more but Rosier legit does one read and that’s it, Herndon has been open a lot it’s just Rosier sucks going through progressions.

Like i keep saying. When the offense is simple it's easier for the players to learn and play fast. I have no problem with most of the playcalling. Rosier is not going to be cerebral at this point on every play. We have to take these things into account. I'm just enjoying each week as it comes. After suffering the end of Coker, Shannon and Golden. I'm good.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

All this ^^. Plus, he’s a great coach, but he needs to hire an OC.

I like his offense but he needs help calling plays. Maybe he should let his son and Thomas Jonwe have more input on Play calling. Those quick swing passes to the slot were there all day. We should not have waited until the game is on the line to take advantage.

Love Richt and the obvious turnaround our program has made. I don't know if it's because Rosier lacks experience or something else but I have seen more complex offences in high school.

Preach!!! If I were a high level QB recruit, it would be hard to pick the Canes outside of want to be a part of the tradition.

A few simple fixes and we will be fine, change the 3rd down play calling up, stop throwing fade routes to short receivers and use herndon and the middle of the field more and we are fine.

Most importantly fix the goal line offense. Getting Field goals and not touchdowns can hurt you, fortunately it didn’t today

Advertisement
I'm glad we gotz all these great football coaches and coordinators who post here. Draw up much betta plays than da Coach Richt and would have run off all the sub par players like Berrios, Rosier, Langham, Mahoney, etc. Coach Richt should have a suggestion box for you gUySm.

Richt is maddening as an OC. The first half he makes me rage and the second half we get a different OC. I just don’t get why he’s Jeckle and Hyde, to me he can be a really good OC but he needs to be better for four quarters.

Because in the 2nd half he is forced to do so. In the ifrst half he is maddenly conservative...for example the bubble screens were there THE ENTIRE GAME in their cover 3 look..yet when we sputtered on offense he didnt draw them up..But on the final drive he took em.

The funny thing is over the last decade..THE SAME POSTERS...come and make post about "dont question the coaches, etc"...then when the guys are fired act like they knew all along ..wash and repeat. Its even worse now with Richt. Dude was just fired...he can be questioned on things..especially as an OC. He's been solid to above average as the HC.

By the way, when was the last time we actually saved three timeouts for the last two minutes?
Credit to Richt.

Advertisement
I'm glad people on here are more alert and objective than in the Gorlden era. Our program is on the up and up- we're winning, riding a win streak, and are looking to bring in our best recruiting class, on paper at least, ever- but our climb feels shaky.

I remember reading a piece on UF before the season started, the writer wrote that while Mac had double digit wins in the last two seasons, he's won almost every close game. He said this is the season Mac will 'revert to the mean' and start losing some of those close games. Same thing with FSU. The year after the their championship they went back to the CFB finals, but skirted by winning incredibly close games (not just against us). 2015, 2016, and 2017 FSU has taken a hard swing back to the mean and they're starting to lose close games. Winning can divert attention away from a lot of underlying problems.

4 out of our 5 wins have been relatively close. We've let Bethune Cookman and Toldedo hang around and eked by FSU and Georgia Tech. We simply won't win every close game in the future. Part of the reason we're not blowing teams out is because of talent and I expect that to improve with better recruiting, especially next year. But I think Richt, not head-of-the-program Richt but play-caller Richt, is a big part of the problem. His ****** play-calling has kept us in games that we should be winning convincingly- that's if we want to be a serious playoff contender.

Wanna know why Saban is the best ever? Because he continually adjusts, even while sitting at the top of the mountain. He doesn't get complacent. All the while he was/is winning championships, he's adjusting to the ever changing college football landscape. In comes the spread, so Saban goes out and hires Kiffin and Sark and recruits and fields quicker, lighter linebackers/hybrids to matchup better with spread offenses. Hopefully Richt can look beyond the wins and seek ways to improve- if he does that, we'll be an elite program again.

Last edited:

Lol This logic. So Richt is a great playcaller in the second half on drives where Rosier went 6/7 with a TD but he was a bad playcaller when Rosier went the entire 1st quarter without completing a pass? Is there a chance that Richt is the same playcaller but the players are inconsistent?

We don't always start slow. At Duke this year we scored 14 on first 2 possessions.

The real elephant in the room is our third down percentage and goal line offense. It's awful. We need Richard's back desperately, and to recruit elite skill position players for the way Richt calls games. Patience my friends. We are close. Year or two away from having top 5-10 talent/depth.

Last edited:
This is College Football every week their will be head scratchers BUT it's all about one thing and that's WINNING... Miami is the only undefeated team in the conference, it's been some ugly WINS but our Canes have got it done SO PPL NEED TO STOP TRYING TO FIND EXCUSES TO COMPLAIN ABOUT!!

All week we heard about CAN our DEFENSE with stand the GT's rushing attack and they have, we heard why this is starting over this one, will Homer beable to handle the workload, NOW IT'S about the decisions of the coaching staff.. PLEASE STOP IF YOU DON'T LIKE MIAMI STOP WATCHING THEM..

Advertisement
Back