Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

Wow! If I had not read numerous posts on this thread I would have foolishly thought that the Canes beat a good Georgia Tech team today.

Additionally, thank goodness that I have been reading the game day blogs over the last month or I would have never known that the Canes haven't won even one game this year.

Have you posters decided who you will be replacing Richt and Diaz with after you fired them...again?

Also, when each week you either bench or kick 20 or so players off the team because they do not meet your talent standard is the solution to offer tryouts to UM's flag football team players? Or, will you posters join the team and lead us to our 6th National Championship?

Advertisement
There are personnel in red zone situations that could have been utilized better. But Richt gets no credit for the 2 drives to win back to back games?

There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

We are blessed to have such a Don Coryell gifted offensive football mind such as yours freely offering sage observations and criticisms to Mark Richt. Yet, call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe Coach Richt has reasons for his play calling and personnel decisions.

After all, he's only invested the last 35 years of his life studying and coaching football for 60 to 80 hours a week in season, but you, watching football for several hours each week would certainly be immensely more qualified to create and install offensive schemes, and do all of the play calling and personnel decisions than silly ole Mark Richt.

As one example of your genius is your observation as to the "jump balls" to the "midget receivers" when one of those so-called "jump balls" was really a back shoulder throw, but let's not let facts get in the way of your diatribe.

I for one look forward to you being at the very least appointed the Canes new offensive coordinator, but hope they fire Richt and appoint you head coach...now that's something I would love to see!

So you're ok with Homer getting two redzone carries on a day when Rosier was 1-6 (actually 1-7 including the two point conversion) in the redzone, we settle for fgs on 4 out of 5 redzone trips and Homer goes 20 for 170??? All coaches make mistakes. This was a mistake.

I like Richt. The first real coach we've had in forever. I like what he's doing with the program. Just because I like him doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism or I'm going to shy from pointing out mistakes.

Don't waste your time responding.

Earnest is a giant imbecilic waste of space.

Coming from such a deep thinker I am truly humbled and only hope that the good lord will consider blessing me with the staggering Albert Einstein like intellect that nystateofmind possess.

Advertisement
"Ahhh, I hate being 5-0, leading the Coastal and heading towards a top 10 ranking." - At least half of this board. You must lead very depressing lives. Honest question. How can you be a Cane fan and unhappy right now?

Grit/guts/ will to be successful, call Richt what you will as an OC, he and the staff have helped instill these traits....
we won the game BTW... enjoy or don’t. We going the Richt way

Advertisement
We are what we are fellas. A decent offense but we need our defense to play lights out for us to be an elite team. Thus far the defense has been just as streaky as the offense. Either way we are unbeaten and the ride will continue. Next 2 we should be heavy favorites then we have VT and ND that will either make this just a good season or a great season.

it would be a huge mistake to take Syracuse for granted. their QB had the Clemson D looking very average Friday night.

"Ahhh, I hate being 5-0, leading the Coastal and heading towards a top 10 ranking." - At least half of this board. You must lead very depressing lives. Honest question. How can you be a Cane fan and unhappy right now?

Here is what I don’t get, why aren’t people allowed to comment as they please? People have different opinions, big deal. If they’re wrong, they’re wrong. If they’re right, they’re right. Maybe they’re right and wrong, shocker. On a message board, you will have people you agree and disagree with. Some people are optimistic, some are negative. Someone may be a salty **** but a salty **** can have a point.

In general, we all want real success and you can’t have a better record (after 5 games) than we have. That doesn’t mean that everything is perfect but yes we’re winning games and winning is all that really matters.

With that said, we were here in 2013. We started 7-0. That ALbortion managed to knock off 9 straight too. Those at the time commented about some issues but it didn’t matter because we were winning. I am not saying Richt is anything like Fat Al. Richt clearly is superior to him by a lot. I am just saying people were right to point out the obvious even though things looked good.

So in the end...”Winning (likely) cures all”. “Just win, baby.”

Advertisement
Agree with the OP on all points. Homer was the most dynamic player on the field today yet for some reason Richt was busy calling 20 yard fade passes to Harley in the first half. I’m glad we are good at making second half adjustments but why is our gameplan always so awful in the first half? These slow starts are going to come back to bite us in the *** one of these games. It would have today if not for a circus catch from Langham.

Here is what I don’t get, why aren’t people allowed to comment as they please? People have different opinions, big deal. If they’re wrong, they’re wrong. If they’re right, they’re right. Maybe they’re right and wrong, shocker. On a message board, you will have people you agree and disagree with. Some people are optimistic, some are negative. Someone may be a salty **** but a salty **** can have a point.

In general, we all want real success and you can’t have a better record (after 5 games) than we have. That doesn’t mean that everything is perfect but yes we’re winning games and winning is all that really matters.

With that said, we were here in 2013. We started 7-0. That ALbortion managed to knock off 9 straight too. Those at the time commented about some issues but it didn’t matter because we were winning. I am not saying Richt is anything like Fat Al. Richt clearly is superior to him by a lot. I am just saying people were right to point out the obvious even though things looked good.

So in the end...”Winning (likely) cures all”. “Just win, baby.”

There are positives and negatives in all games, win or lose. Why some of you get so bent out of shape when we discuss these things on a message board I will never understand, moreover why you make it so personal.

Anyway, the positive, and what matters the most is that we're undefeated and riding a 10 game winning streak that goes back to last season.

We held GT to season lows in most categories. The defense made excellent adjustments and kept getting the offense one more at-bat. This was in a game where they didn't turn the ball over.

I think Rosier did a reasonably good job going through his progressions, but I would like to see Herndon be given a bigger a role. I think he could have been a major + matchup for us against what I saw from GT's defense today. He should be a primary rather than a check down. We saw this with Njoku later in the season, so the plays are there.

That leads me to the last point, and the original topic for this thread:

Richt knows what he's doing. We don't have to agree with it, but it's his offense. The guy isn't ignorant to motion, screens, and all the other stuff we're seeing people call for thread after thread. He just isn't taking them out of the toolbox for whatever reason. I did like that he moved the pocket with Malik today though, that was a good adjustment.

Like it or not though, teams are ready for what we're bringing. When the fundamentals align, athleticism and talent breaks through that, but make no mistake, if we don't get a little creative and figure out a way to get the offense to perform more consistently throughout the game, it's going to cost us. This is particularly concerning against Syracuse. Their WRs vs our DBs is a vulnerability. Though not a defensive juggernaut, we need to challenge them early and score TDs as getting behind against them could get ugly.

All in all, great win. You have to love the culture being created of no quit.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There are some headscratchers, but we won.

Going backwards, hated lining it up for the field goal with a timeout and on the 3. Sure, angle sucked, but the field was a mess. Run it once, let Homer get a shot or even Rosier.

Hated the 3rd and 10 call that left Langham saving us on the 4th and 10. GT lined up with an extra man where the play was going, we ran it anyhow when we should've audible out.

Rosier, he's as cool as the other side of the pillow. His accuracy was off a bit, but its like he has to have a switch hit and he gets going. 81 saved his was on a poor throw for sure and we have a loss. I don't know if they just don't trust him over the middle of the field or what, but I hate our route trees. The two point attempt, he locked in over the middle or he would've gone anywhere but there with his pass.

Out of the half, that really hurt. Did they see something, seemed nothing amiss to me, or did they just hope to catch them off guard. The way GT was killing time of possession, did that figure into it? I just didn't like it.

Homer, baller out. Should he go down, we are in a world of **** though.

You know the throws to midget receivers is on rosier right? He has several options to read and is choosing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rosier is not accurate in his ball placement...the midget WRs need to stop getting the ball down the field. Richards, Cager, Langham need to be the ones going down field, running the posts, etc. They cover up a lot of Rosier's inaccuracy. Get the midgets the ball on the bubbles and working the middle where they can get some separation.

You know the throws to midget receivers is on rosier right? He has several options to read and is choosing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is always a favorite of mine on message boards. Fade to 5'9" Harley!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Little do any fans know Harley could have easily been the 4th option clearing deep to give something underneath to Herndon or whoever and perhaps, just perhaps Rosier rolled the dice. You never truly know. I do know Langham needs more reps though.

Im personally okay with Richt as OC. Do I agree with everything he does? No, but he brings some important things to the table and I think the good outweigh the bad. He knows how to get it to his playmakers for the most part and I like the idea of built in continuity year in and year out.

Not riding the running game a little harder has been puzzling. I know he wants to do it but for some reason gets trigger happy with Rosier. Need to feature Herndon and Homer way more going forward.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back