Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

Richt is maddening as an OC. The first half he makes me rage and the second half we get a different OC. I just don’t get why he’s Jeckle and Hyde, to me he can be a really good OC but he needs to be better for four quarters.

Lol This logic. So Richt is a great playcaller in the second half on drives where Rosier went 6/7 with a TD but he was a bad playcaller when Rosier went the entire 1st quarter without completing a pass? Is there a chance that Richt is the same playcaller but the players are inconsistent?

This. Wait for the film review from [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] to come out, and I guarantee it will be littered with missed opportunities. Rosier is a baller and I'm **** proud to have him on our team, but he's just not accurate at times. And he struggles mostly with touch on short and intermediate passes. The best throw in his bag is the back shoulder fade, and Harley had at least a 50/50 shot on both balls thrown his way. People act like we haven't called screens, but seem to forget Rosier throwing two right into the face of Sweat last week, almost taking Walton's head off on a swing pass, and missing the WR on a bubble so bad is could have been called a backwards pass. IMO we only managed to beat FSU last week because Sweat can't catch. Rosier put two in his face mask when taking a little off and putting just a little air under it would have been big gainers. He's also hit a receiver in the back of the helmet on a crossing route.

I think Richt is calling what he's calling to highlight Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses, and a secondary benefit of all the vert routes is that it opens up the run game when you have the entire secondary playing 8-12 yards off the ball and chasing down field. I noticed none of our corches have managed to correlate our success in the running game with us facing a 6 man box all day until we hit the red zone.

And who the **** is Sean Lewis? Haven't we learned our lesson hiring coaches who's primary claim of success came in the MAC? No thanks.

I agree with this. A lot falls on Rosiers performance. However, I will say I feel like Richt calls a much better game near the end of the half and when trailing at the end.

It's nice to finally see us come out on the good end of game winning drive. The past few years we've been stuck on the other end.

Advertisement
There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

Gray is as pedestrian as is his # of carries. We need to be working him in with Homer IMHO...if our Oline can do their job at all, both can be very effective.

I agree with the CMR issues, despite all of the ridiculous exaggerated reactions like "fire him now" and "you want Golden back."

Yes, he is getting the Ws...and it is impressive considering for 2 weeks now, we really weren't even on the field in the first half. Imagine if this team cared about playing an entire 4 quarters...holy ****!

All that said, head scratchers is exactly right. I simply do not ever feel a rhythm or consistency to his play calling. I mean, the final drive this Saturday was a thing of beauty FINALLY recognizing a match up advantage, but why did it come so late? Is Richt capable (or Diaz for that matter) of in half adjustments, or are they 100% reliant on halftime to adjust to what they see from the opposition?

Happy as **** we pulled it out, but again, why do we have to keep pulling these out?

UM

All that said, head scratchers is exactly right. I simply do not ever feel a rhythm or consistency to his play calling. I mean, the final drive this Saturday was a thing of beauty FINALLY recognizing a match up advantage, but why did it come so late? Is Richt capable (or Diaz for that matter) of in half adjustments, or are they 100% reliant on halftime to adjust to what they see from the opposition?

The rhythm thing is a result of the RPO and the zone read.

If we were getting 5-6 yard bumps more consistently on those inside runs then it would look a lot more rhythmic. We would have less 3-and-outs and more short yardage situations on 3rd down.

Right now it's just too much feast or famine.

One thing that I noticed is that Malik got into a little rhythm with throws over the middle. It took awhile to start throwing more in the middle of the field but his first 6-7 passes were all to the sidelines and were all incomplete. We need to throw to the middle from the get go.

Saban actually is an X and O's genius. Has been for a long time.

But how "creative" is he on offense?

You've been banging this creativity drum which is just code for you don't really know what we should do differently on offense. As long as we score more points.

I don't give a **** what Saban does on offense. His specialty is defense and he's responsible for inventing concepts that have taken defensive play to other levels.

I can bang the creativity drum cause I know WTF I'm looking at and know X's and O's. I also know what a good offense looks like and what can be troublesome for defenses. (seeing as I'm a defensive coach)

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Saban is such a genius coach, why was he such garbage for the Dolphins?

Cause he wasn't allowed to do WTF he wanted and/or make the personnel decisions he desired.

Was he trash when he was with the Browns and they had the #1 defense in the NFL?

Jump balls to Harley is pretty dumb, but I feel its more Roziers fault. If he leads harley then he hits him in stride. So when Richt calls that play im sure he want Rozier to lead him more. But then again Richt has been making some bad play calls.

They're not jump balls, they're supposed to be back-shoulder throws. Rosier just doesn't throw them well.

You've been banging this creativity drum which is just code for you don't really know what we should do differently on offense. As long as we score more points.

I don't give a **** what Saban does on offense. His specialty is defense and he's responsible for inventing concepts that have taken defensive play to other levels.

I can bang the creativity drum cause I know WTF I'm looking at and know X's and O's. I also know what a good offense looks like and what can be troublesome for defenses. (seeing as I'm a defensive coach)

You wanna go there with me?

You're a HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANT COACH. You're like the Al Bundy of football coaches. You owe me a shot of bourbon for the drink you made me spit out after reading you bragging about your football credentials. what the **** is the matter with you?

The rhythm thing is a result of the RPO and the zone read.

If we were getting 5-6 yard bumps more consistently on those inside runs then it would look a lot more rhythmic. We would have less 3-and-outs and more short yardage situations on 3rd down.

Right now it's just too much feast or famine.

So if you're struggling to get 4-5 yards on zone runs then why not throw "quick game" and use that to supplement your struggling run game? That's what bubbles, hitches and stick routes are for.

Advertisement

You're a HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANT COACH. You're like the Al Bundy of football coaches. You owe me a shot of bourbon for the drink you made me spit out after reading you bragging about your football credentials. �� what the **** is the matter with you?

I'll give you a shot in the mouth with a brick sized fist attached to a 20" bicep.

Stop following me around you fa99ot.

You're a HIGH SCHOOL ASSISTANT COACH. You're like the Al Bundy of football coaches. You owe me a shot of bourbon for the drink you made me spit out after reading you bragging about your football credentials. �� what the **** is the matter with you?

I'll give you a shot in the mouth with a brick sized fist attached to a 20" bicep.

Stop following me around you fa99ot.

Look I'll stop following you around if you stop ******* around and be straight with us. What did richt do to make you act like a spurned lover on here? You bent over backwards to kiss golden's ***. You also have no problem swallowing saban's and Mullen's *** either. What is your deal, bro?

Jon Richt has asked for more screen passes, but I don't think our personal feels comfortable with that.

Anyways...

Ignoring the beta male above me...

I will say that Richt does probably deserve more leeway due to the fact that he doesn't have his guys yet. We're still not where we need to be on offense talent-wise. Rosier, as much as I like him and his heroics, misses a lot of throws and occasionally ignores mis-matches in coverage. (or doesn't throw the ball where it should be thrown)

He's really hot-and-cold IMO. He'll throw some really ugly balls but then drop a beauty. (like he did on Berrios' second TD against FSU, or the back-shoulder throw to Langham for the win)

My main complaint is the same as last season, I don't see us use space enough. I just don't see the effort to get shifty guys in space like I see with most efficient spread offenses.

Advertisement
Anyways...

I will say that Richt does probably deserve more leeway due to the fact that he doesn't have his guys yet. We're still not where we need to be on offense talent-wise. Rosier, as much as I like him and his heroics, misses a lot of throws and occasionally ignores mis-matches in coverage. (or doesn't throw the ball where it should be thrown)

He's really hot-and-cold IMO. He'll throw some really ugly balls but then drop a beauty. (like he did on Berrios' second TD against FSU, or the back-shoulder throw to Langham for the win)

My main complaint is the same as last season, I don't see us use space enough. I just don't see the effort to get shifty guys in space like I see with most efficient spread offenses.

Macho, have you seen any rub-routes? I know a few folks who have played ball at a high level that have watched Miami closely and quite frankly they aren't really impressed with our route combinations/concepts.

As much heat as our defense has gotten this season, last two weeks they were left on the field a ton in the first half and held the ship steady while the offense got going. THis is being overlooked a bit, IMO. I think the vision tht Richt has for this offense is really predicated on dominating upfront and getting a better push(more consistently) in the run game and work everything off of that

I love how people like to blast a qb like rosier about his inaccuracies at times in his 5th start..... when we just had a qb(brad kaaya) missing easy throws on the regular too in all his years at Miami regardless of his experience...

I don't think anybody is blasting him. He's inaccurate though. He leaves a lot of plays on the field. I love him though, he's got balls and appears to be a leader.

Advertisement
Anyways...

Macho, have you seen any rub-routes? I know a few folks who have played ball at a high level that have watched Miami closely and quite frankly they aren't really impressed with our route combinations/concepts.

As much heat as our defense has gotten this season, last two weeks they were left on the field a ton in the first half and held the ship steady while the offense got going. THis is being overlooked a bit, IMO. I think the vision tht Richt has for this offense is really predicated on dominating upfront and getting a better push(more consistently) in the run game and work everything off of that

Haven't really seen any rub routes that I can remember.
Don't remember any jailbreak screens, tunnel screens, etc.

I'd like to see us utilize more quick game to get the ball in space matched up against inside defenders.

Anyways...

Haven't really seen any rub routes that I can remember.
Don't remember any jailbreak screens, tunnel screens, etc.

I'd like to see us utilize more quick game to get the ball in space matched up against inside defenders.

those plays seem to be made for a guy like Jeff Thomas or even Berrios...

Anyways...

I recall us running rub routes in the end zone against Pitt and a couple other teams last year.

I've watched a couple old Mark Richt lecture series and games when he was OC at FSU and UGA.

The concepts are sound. I think one issue is Richt doesn't run a point-and-click offense like the Fun 'n Gun. Spurrier would scheme a guy open and tell his QB to throw there.

Richt expects his QB to be able to recognize cover 1/2/3/4/etc... and make the correct read. I think it's one of the reasons Kaaya regressed somewhat. Kaaya is a good thrower when he knows where he's supposed to go with the ball. Last year he seemed more panicky and took a lot of sacks.

Richt obviously isn't perfect as a playcaller, but when I rewatch the games, I'm seeing guys open underneath. Rosier isn't always making great decisions. There are plenty of times where he can take 4-6 yards on early downs, but instead will go for the low % back-shoulder fade.

Someone made the argument that when Rosier identifies man coverage, he likes to take shots on the outside that are mostly safe throws. I don't think it's coincidence that his 3 INTs this year came on passes over the middle where he sailed the ball (Toledo, Duke, FSU).

Let's not forget that Rosier was a guy that most people, including Richt, didn't think could play at this level.

Advertisement
Back