Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

Anyways...

Ignoring the beta male above me...

I will say that Richt does probably deserve more leeway due to the fact that he doesn't have his guys yet. We're still not where we need to be on offense talent-wise. Rosier, as much as I like him and his heroics, misses a lot of throws and occasionally ignores mis-matches in coverage. (or doesn't throw the ball where it should be thrown)

He's really hot-and-cold IMO. He'll throw some really ugly balls but then drop a beauty. (like he did on Berrios' second TD against FSU, or the back-shoulder throw to Langham for the win)

My main complaint is the same as last season, I don't see us use space enough. I just don't see the effort to get shifty guys in space like I see with most efficient spread offenses.

Macho, have you seen any rub-routes? I know a few folks who have played ball at a high level that have watched Miami closely and quite frankly they aren't really impressed with our route combinations/concepts.

I recall us running rub routes in the end zone against Pitt and a couple other teams last year.

I've watched a couple old Mark Richt lecture series and games when he was OC at FSU and UGA.

The concepts are sound. I think one issue is Richt doesn't run a point-and-click offense like the Fun 'n Gun. Spurrier would scheme a guy open and tell his QB to throw there.

Richt expects his QB to be able to recognize cover 1/2/3/4/etc... and make the correct read. I think it's one of the reasons Kaaya regressed somewhat. Kaaya is a good thrower when he knows where he's supposed to go with the ball. Last year he seemed more panicky and took a lot of sacks.

Richt obviously isn't perfect as a playcaller, but when I rewatch the games, I'm seeing guys open underneath. Rosier isn't always making great decisions. There are plenty of times where he can take 4-6 yards on early downs, but instead will go for the low % back-shoulder fade.

Someone made the argument that when Rosier identifies man coverage, he likes to take shots on the outside that are mostly safe throws. I don't think it's coincidence that his 3 INTs this year came on passes over the middle where he sailed the ball (Toledo, Duke, FSU).

Let's not forget that Rosier was a guy that most people, including Richt, didn't think could play at this level.

That last sentence is why I (we) should give Richt the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Advertisement
Anyways...

I will say that Richt does probably deserve more leeway due to the fact that he doesn't have his guys yet. We're still not where we need to be on offense talent-wise. Rosier, as much as I like him and his heroics, misses a lot of throws and occasionally ignores mis-matches in coverage. (or doesn't throw the ball where it should be thrown)

He's really hot-and-cold IMO. He'll throw some really ugly balls but then drop a beauty. (like he did on Berrios' second TD against FSU, or the back-shoulder throw to Langham for the win)

My main complaint is the same as last season, I don't see us use space enough. I just don't see the effort to get shifty guys in space like I see with most efficient spread offenses.

Macho, have you seen any rub-routes? I know a few folks who have played ball at a high level that have watched Miami closely and quite frankly they aren't really impressed with our route combinations/concepts.

I recall us running rub routes in the end zone against Pitt and a couple other teams last year.

I've watched a couple old Mark Richt lecture series and games when he was OC at FSU and UGA.

The concepts are sound. I think one issue is Richt doesn't run a point-and-click offense like the Fun 'n Gun. Spurrier would scheme a guy open and tell his QB to throw there.

Richt expects his QB to be able to recognize cover 1/2/3/4/etc... and make the correct read. I think it's one of the reasons Kaaya regressed somewhat. Kaaya is a good thrower when he knows where he's supposed to go with the ball. Last year he seemed more panicky and took a lot of sacks.

Richt obviously isn't perfect as a playcaller, but when I rewatch the games, I'm seeing guys open underneath. Rosier isn't always making great decisions. There are plenty of times where he can take 4-6 yards on early downs, but instead will go for the low % back-shoulder fade.

Someone made the argument that when Rosier identifies man coverage, he likes to take shots on the outside that are mostly safe throws. I don't think it's coincidence that his 3 INTs this year came on passes over the middle where he sailed the ball (Toledo, Duke, FSU).

Let's not forget that Rosier was a guy that most people, including Richt, didn't think could play at this level.

I think you make some very important points. Under Coley, Kaaya was at his best until he ran out of bullets. When what was scripted changed or ran its course, he had to go through progressions and really struggles at times. He was making progress under Richt going out the door last season, which is frustrating as it was case and point for staying in college, but whatever under the bridge.

Regarding our playcalling, specifically our route combinations, Richt knows his stuff. I have no doubt about that. A lot of what he was running at FSU was ahead of its time and still are concepts that which remain solid today. The same can be said about what was run at Georgia. At various times, he's used all of the stuff people are screaming for-- motion, rub, jailbreaks, etc. I am sure he has his reasons, and if asked, he may very well even give us a decent answer. It's not terribly different than asking Diaz why he is biased to stay in base defense. As games have progressed, and we've seen more and more of our secondary, I get it. I may feel differently about the trade-off, but clearly he has his views.

Anyways...

I don't think Miami is a spread offense per se. But then again, I'm probably wrong. dUh.

CMR has changed the U back to it's original culture...winning attitude! With the talent presently, CMR and coaching staff are doing an excellent job. I am just glad to be able to attend a game, and see the players prepared to play. I actually observed the coaching staff on both sides making in game adjustments, to include the play of the team in the second half. Golden or CMR?

There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

Amen Brotha!!!

I totally agree. It was terrible redzone play calling and personnel that almost cost us the game. I was screaming at the TV yelling WTF is Coach Richt doing? Makes NFS to be throwing fades to 5'9" receivers when we have big bodies of Langham, Herndon. Homer has proven he is a capable back. He helped balance out the offense in the Canes comeback. Get Homer, Langham, and Herndon a lot more touches. Herndon should be running seam routes and eating LB's lunch on the way to the goal line. I hope we see a big improvement the play calling and personnel vs Syracuse.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back