Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

I'm glad people on here are more alert and objective than in the Gorlden era. Our program is on the up and up- we're winning, riding a win streak, and are looking to bring in our best recruiting class, on paper at least, ever- but our climb feels shaky.

I remember reading a piece on UF before the season started, the writer wrote that while Mac had double digit wins in the last two seasons, he's won almost every close game. He said this is the season Mac will 'revert to the mean' and start losing some of those close games. Same thing with FSU. The year after the their championship they went back to the CFB finals, but skirted by winning incredibly close games (not just against us). 2015, 2016, and 2017 FSU has taken a hard swing back to the mean and they're starting to lose close games. Winning can divert attention away from a lot of underlying problems.

4 out of our 5 wins have been relatively close. We've let Bethune Cookman and Toldedo hang around and eked by FSU and Georgia Tech. We simply won't win every close game in the future. Part of the reason we're not blowing teams out is because of talent and I expect that to improve with better recruiting, especially next year. But I think Richt, not head-of-the-program Richt but play-caller Richt, is a big part of the problem. His ****ty play-calling has kept us in games that we should be winning convincingly- that's if we want to be a serious playoff contender.

Wanna know why Saban is the best ever? Because he continually adjusts, even while sitting at the top of the mountain. He doesn't get complacent. All the while he was/is winning championships, he's adjusting to the ever changing college football landscape. In comes the spread, so Saban goes out and hires Kiffin and Sark and recruits and fields quicker, lighter linebackers/hybrids to matchup better with spread offenses. Hopefully Richt can look beyond the wins and seek ways to improve- if he does that, we'll be an elite program again.

real talk

Advertisement
I'm glad people on here are more alert and objective than in the Gorlden era. Our program is on the up and up- we're winning, riding a win streak, and are looking to bring in our best recruiting class, on paper at least, ever- but our climb feels shaky.

I remember reading a piece on UF before the season started, the writer wrote that while Mac had double digit wins in the last two seasons, he's won almost every close game. He said this is the season Mac will 'revert to the mean' and start losing some of those close games. Same thing with FSU. The year after the their championship they went back to the CFB finals, but skirted by winning incredibly close games (not just against us). 2015, 2016, and 2017 FSU has taken a hard swing back to the mean and they're starting to lose close games. Winning can divert attention away from a lot of underlying problems.

4 out of our 5 wins have been relatively close. We've let Bethune Cookman and Toldedo hang around and eked by FSU and Georgia Tech. We simply won't win every close game in the future. Part of the reason we're not blowing teams out is because of talent and I expect that to improve with better recruiting, especially next year. But I think Richt, not head-of-the-program Richt but play-caller Richt, is a big part of the problem. His ****ty play-calling has kept us in games that we should be winning convincingly- that's if we want to be a serious playoff contender.

Wanna know why Saban is the best ever? Because he continually adjusts, even while sitting at the top of the mountain. He doesn't get complacent. All the while he was/is winning championships, he's adjusting to the ever changing college football landscape. In comes the spread, so Saban goes out and hires Kiffin and Sark and recruits and fields quicker, lighter linebackers/hybrids to matchup better with spread offenses. Hopefully Richt can look beyond the wins and seek ways to improve- if he does that, we'll be an elite program again.

real talk

It helps that Nick Sabin and Alabama boosters cheat more on the recruiting trail than any other program in the history of college football. Let's not ignore that fact and act as though Sabin is some X's and O's genius. Because he's not. If he didn't "adjust to changing CFB landscape" they still would've won titles on sheer talent alone. Cheating in recruiting makes you elite, not a new OC.

I mean Alabama grey shirts 5 star players lmao
They are the Kentucky of college basketball.

Saban is a **** good coach, but he ain't what people make him up to be.

real talk

It helps that Nick Sabin and Alabama boosters cheat more on the recruiting trail than any other program in the history of college football. Let's not ignore that fact and act as though Sabin is some X's and O's genius. Because he's not. If he didn't "adjust to changing CFB landscape" they still would've won titles on sheer talent alone. Cheating in recruiting makes you elite, not a new OC.

I mean Alabama grey shirts 5 star players lmao
They are the Kentucky of college basketball.

Saban is a **** good coach, but he ain't what people make him up to be.

Saban actually is an X and O's genius. Has been for a long time.

Carry on though.

**** I have to actually defend Richt.... Richt doesn't know what some of these players will do in big time games. He tried out Cager and we all found out that Langham is the better wr.

Advertisement

But all 9 of our wins last year were by double digits and 3 of our 4 losses were by one score.

So we would be reverting to the mean this year which is us winning more of those toss-up games.

We were 0-3 last year in one-score games. This year we're 2-0 so far.

Saban actually is an X and O's genius. Has been for a long time.

But how "creative" is he on offense?

You've been banging this creativity drum which is just code for you don't really know what we should do differently on offense. As long as we score more points.

Advertisement
Mods please blow this thread up. Richt will win a Championship and some people will still complain. GTFOH.

I think Herndon should be used more often and more dynamically. I feel like all he's done this year is catch a few bubble screens.

I'd like to see him be used like Kelce from the Chiefs. That fake handoff shovel pass up the middle would be a great play to add to the rotation. He's big and physical and should be used over the middle vertically in the passing game more.

Also, I'd like to see more I formation in the redzone. Especailly when we get a few yards out from the endzone. Personnel may be a weakness. If so, that needs to be resolved quickly.

Last edited:
I think Herndon should be used more often and more dynamically. I feel like all he's done this year is catch a few bubble screens.

I'd like to see him be used like Kelce from the Chiefs. That fake handoff shovel pass up the middle would be a great play to add to the rotation. He's big and physical and should be used over the middle vertically in the passing game more.

Also, I'd like to see more I formation in the redzone. Especailly when we get a few yards out from the endzone. Personnel may be a weakness. If so, that needs to be resolved quickly.

I'd like to see us use Malik's legs at the goal line a little more.

Advertisement

Ok, thanks coach.

Jump balls to Harley is pretty dumb, but I feel its more Roziers fault. If he leads harley then he hits him in stride. So when Richt calls that play im sure he want Rozier to lead him more. But then again Richt has been making some bad play calls.

Ok, thanks coach.

You're welcome son

Advertisement
Richt is maddening as an OC. The first half he makes me rage and the second half we get a different OC. I just don’t get why he’s Jeckle and Hyde, to me he can be a really good OC but he needs to be better for four quarters.

Lol This logic. So Richt is a great playcaller in the second half on drives where Rosier went 6/7 with a TD but he was a bad playcaller when Rosier went the entire 1st quarter without completing a pass? Is there a chance that Richt is the same playcaller but the players are inconsistent?

This. Wait for the film review from [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] to come out, and I guarantee it will be littered with missed opportunities. Rosier is a baller and I'm **** proud to have him on our team, but he's just not accurate at times. And he struggles mostly with touch on short and intermediate passes. The best throw in his bag is the back shoulder fade, and Harley had at least a 50/50 shot on both balls thrown his way. People act like we haven't called screens, but seem to forget Rosier throwing two right into the face of Sweat last week, almost taking Walton's head off on a swing pass, and missing the WR on a bubble so bad is could have been called a backwards pass. IMO we only managed to beat FSU last week because Sweat can't catch. Rosier put two in his face mask when taking a little off and putting just a little air under it would have been big gainers. He's also hit a receiver in the back of the helmet on a crossing route.

I think Richt is calling what he's calling to highlight Rosier's strengths and mask his weaknesses, and a secondary benefit of all the vert routes is that it opens up the run game when you have the entire secondary playing 8-12 yards off the ball and chasing down field. I noticed none of our corches have managed to correlate our success in the running game with us facing a 6 man box all day until we hit the red zone.

And who the **** is Sean Lewis? Haven't we learned our lesson hiring coaches who's primary claim of success came in the MAC? No thanks.

Richt's personnel groupings at WR can be absurd. Have never been more furious than when we were inside the 5 after Thomas' big catch and we trotted out Berrios, Harley and Thomas as our receivers. No Herndon, and Langham was in there as a blocking TE for all 3 plays. Inexcusable really.

Bonus points for pulling Homer for the third series of the game entirely. We were down 7-3 and had been on the field on offense no more than 5 minutes and 20 yo fit as an ox Travis Homer needed a rest. Result of that drive? 3 and out in less than 2 minutes.

smfh

Advertisement
Back