Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

Richt calls a play and there are certain reads on every one. Rosier throwing jump balls 30 yards down field on 3rd and 5, multiple times, is not on the play called. Richt isn't perfect but he can't make the decision for the QB. At the end of the day, we are undefeated.

Advertisement
On our best teams Harley and Thomas would both be redshirted. Neither is physically ready to play. They will help us, but shows we are 1-2 years away.

Would love to see some route concepts that actually stress the defense.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

Lmao. Maybe if you can figure out WHY, you would get a chance to be "Moore" than just a high school asst coach. Like, wtf is the matter with you?

Advertisement
had a few drives end in the first half bcuz we threw downfield on 3rd and 5 or 6... didn't really make sense to me given herndon and our bigger WRs. our offense has been great statistically this year so i don't sweat richt as OC as much as many on this board but not using herndon in these spots is maddening.

as for the red zone, we've been terrible running the ball on short yardage incl near the goal line this year. we're 128 out of 129 in power success rate, which is any run play on 3rd or 4th down and two yards or less to go https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-miami-fl-advanced-statistical-profile

that's a problem in its own right but i also understand why richt has been trying to pass in the red zone

as for personnel groupings, fact of the matter is without ahmmon we have a pretty bad combo of experience + production in our WR group so i don't begrudge the rotations too much. not sure we have any clear cut answers out there.

Advertisement
Bubble screens worked great on last drive because the defenders were giving WRs so much cushion. There were many times during the game that they were playing 8-10 yds off the ball and we were running vertical concepts. Lots of opportunities for quick passing game. Hitch routes and quick outs are easy throws and gets the ball in playmakers hands.

I bring this up weekly , I can't figure out why Richt only goes to them in desperate times. Teams respect our speed and will give cushions , make them pay for that.

Last year he did the same thing then changed it up to end the year. But he's back to deep routes to nauseam

Perhaps the most obvious example of lack of creativity was the two point play. You would think that of all the times to see something "outside of the box" - a shovel pass, some misdirection, anything - that would be the time. But no, they run four wide in that compressed space. I'd have to rewatch the play to see exactly what was called but I know it didn't really strike me as doing anything different.

There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

We are blessed to have such a Don Coryell gifted offensive football mind such as yours freely offering sage observations and criticisms to Mark Richt. Yet, call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe Coach Richt has reasons for his play calling and personnel decisions.

After all, he's only invested the last 35 years of his life studying and coaching football for 60 to 80 hours a week in season, but you, watching football for several hours each week would certainly be immensely more qualified to create and install offensive schemes, and do all of the play calling and personnel decisions than silly ole Mark Richt.

As one example of your genius is your observation as to the "jump balls" to the "midget receivers" when one of those so-called "jump balls" was really a back shoulder throw, but let's not let facts get in the way of your diatribe.

I for one look forward to you being at the very least appointed the Canes new offensive coordinator, but hope they fire Richt and appoint you head coach...now that's something I would love to see!

Lmao. Maybe if you can figure out WHY, you would get a chance to be "Moore" than just a high school asst coach. Like, wtf is the matter with you?

What's that got yo do with what he's saying ? It's actually very factual.

The play calling does lack creativity , it's as vanilla as you can get. It's a fair criticism. Mostly the same formations and route concepts.

Advertisement
Richt's playcalling was the main reason for our losing streak last year. He hasn't been much better this year. Malik is clearly is a slow starter so why not dial up a bunch of short high % stuff to get him in rhythm? Why not move the pocket more? Why the **** are we not motioning at all? Why do we only seem to throw toward the hashes and never use the middle of the field?

Richt's playcalling was the main reason for our losing streak last year. He hasn't been much better this year. Malik is clearly is a slow starter so why not dial up a bunch of short high % stuff to get him in rhythm? Why not move the pocket more? Why the **** are we not motioning at all? Why do we only seem to throw toward the hashes and never use the middle of the field?

All great questions.

Advertisement
had a few drives end in the first half bcuz we threw downfield on 3rd and 5 or 6... didn't really make sense to me given herndon and our bigger WRs. our offense has been great statistically this year so i don't sweat richt as OC as much as many on this board but not using herndon in these spots is maddening.

as for the red zone, we've been terrible running the ball on short yardage incl near the goal line this year. we're 128 out of 129 in power success rate, which is any run play on 3rd or 4th down and two yards or less to go https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-miami-fl-advanced-statistical-profile

that's a problem in its own right but i also understand why richt has been trying to pass in the red zone

as for personnel groupings, fact of the matter is without ahmmon we have a pretty bad combo of experience + production in our WR group so i don't begrudge the rotations too much. not sure we have any clear cut answers out there.

There's stats and then there's what's happening right now in a live game. Homer was killing them all day. 2 carries in the redzone was a puzzling misusage. Plus remember that we're talking about the whole redzone, not just short yardage plays trying to punch it in from the 1 yard line. So that stat isn't relevant to a lot of the plays in the redzone.

There is zero chance that the route tree sucks so bad because of Rosier. It’s just a bad playbook.

Granted, Malik locks in and throws to the first receiver anyways, so not sure it would matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back