Richt: Play Calling and Personnel Usage

What does it say about your life that you've been trolling a message board for the last 3 hours?

It says that your response is exactly what one would expect from someone with no clue.

You don't have the first idea what you're talking about.

And it shows.

Advertisement
There is zero chance that the route tree sucks so bad because of Rosier. It’s just a bad playbook.

Rosier is limited.

He shows it every week.

But somehow our fans think Richt just has a bad playbook.

They're giving ten yard cushions all day and we kept running deep routes, nothing underneath. That's not Rosier.

I've been griping about this for a year now. I was texting indyarthauz all game the quick throw is there all day if we'd take it.

Would love to see some route concepts that actually stress the defense.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

Lmao. Maybe if you can figure out WHY, you would get a chance to be "Moore" than just a high school asst coach. Like, wtf is the matter with you?

What's that got yo do with what he's saying ? It's actually very factual.

The play calling does lack creativity , it's as vanilla as you can get. It's a fair criticism. Mostly the same formations and route concepts.

Unless you consider Richt a brain dead ******, maybe ask yourself why we don't expand the playbook or run more complex stuff or throw over the middle more.

Advertisement
Richt ain't that bad as an OC. We aren't quite there yet talent wise, and we have a guy who shouldn't be playing quarterback at the University of Miami, yet together they are finding ways to win and rebuild this program.

Just wait until he gets his guys and starts establishing his between the tackle run game that he was known for at Georgia. Patience people.

They're giving ten yard cushions all day and we kept running deep routes, nothing underneath. That's not Rosier.

I've been griping about this for a year now. I was texting indyarthauz all game the quick throw is there all day if we'd take it.

I don't care who you texted.

A lot goes on between a play call and execution.

A lot goes on between a quarterback room and the field.

I would agree with everything you said but I do believe there is value in Gray. CMR seemed bent on throwing and that was a total asinine approach. Homer was running the ball with authority and should have the received many more carries. Everyone could see Rosier was struggling in the first half except CMR. Do you think Homer should have played most of the game last week? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS CMR is NOT an impressive day game coach.

The truest test of whether someone is a gameday coach is how the team looks in the second half, and how they call plays down the stretch. And Richt passes both tests in spades.

I agree w OP, but This is true.

I would agree with everything you said but I do believe there is value in Gray. CMR seemed bent on throwing and that was a total asinine approach. Homer was running the ball with authority and should have the received many more carries. Everyone could see Rosier was struggling in the first half except CMR. Do you think Homer should have played most of the game last week? YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS CMR is NOT an impressive day game coach.

Gray is a scrub.

Your a ****

Advertisement
We are what we are fellas. A decent offense but we need our defense to play lights out for us to be an elite team. Thus far the defense has been just as streaky as the offense. Either way we are unbeaten and the ride will continue. Next 2 we should be heavy favorites then we have VT and ND that will either make this just a good season or a great season.

I don't care who you texted.

A lot goes on between a play call and execution.

A lot goes on between a quarterback room and the field.

It's not that difficult a ss, it's as simple as it looks. If you give me huge cushions I body shot you until you change it up. Just look at the last drive , he decided to do it when it was desperation time.

That's just how simple it can be.

Right now there's like a 96% chance that we run all verts when it's 3rd & medium. Zero creativity on offense.

As a coach can you explain why Richt is doing this? Must be a reason.

It's not that difficult a ss, it's as simple as it looks. If you give me huge cushions I body shot you until you change it up. Just look at the last drive , he decided to do it when it was desperation time.

Like we did in the App State game last year. We threw the screen all day.

But that was probably seen on film and was a part of the game plan.

So you're whining about something that Richt actually did when needed?

Seems silly to me.

We had a ton of injuries and a limited quarterback and we still made enough plays on offense to win.

Advertisement

Lmao. Maybe if you can figure out WHY, you would get a chance to be "Moore" than just a high school asst coach. Like, wtf is the matter with you?

What's that got yo do with what he's saying ? It's actually very factual.

The play calling does lack creativity , it's as vanilla as you can get. It's a fair criticism. Mostly the same formations and route concepts.

Unless you consider Richt a brain dead ******, maybe ask yourself why we don't expand the playbook or run more complex stuff or throw over the middle more.

Its nothing about being a ****** or expanding the playbook. If anything he's over complicating things. Why run deep game when they're wanting you to? The quick game is always there , I just don't get he doesn't decide to use it until it's life or death time.

Also lining Harley or small guys outside to nauseam to throw fades, when 81 is on the bench. It's mind boggling stuff. There's fades in the red zone today to 5'9 wr's.

There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

We are blessed to have such a Don Coryell gifted offensive football mind such as yours freely offering sage observations and criticisms to Mark Richt. Yet, call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe Coach Richt has reasons for his play calling and personnel decisions.

After all, he's only invested the last 35 years of his life studying and coaching football for 60 to 80 hours a week in season, but you, watching football for several hours each week would certainly be immensely more qualified to create and install offensive schemes, and do all of the play calling and personnel decisions than silly ole Mark Richt.

As one example of your genius is your observation as to the "jump balls" to the "midget receivers" when one of those so-called "jump balls" was really a back shoulder throw, but let's not let facts get in the way of your diatribe.

I for one look forward to you being at the very least appointed the Canes new offensive coordinator, but hope they fire Richt and appoint you head coach...now that's something I would love to see!

So you're ok with Homer getting two redzone carries on a day when Rosier was 1-6 (actually 1-7 including the two point conversion) in the redzone, we settle for fgs on 4 out of 5 redzone trips and Homer goes 20 for 170??? All coaches make mistakes. This was a mistake.

I like Richt. The first real coach we've had in forever. I like what he's doing with the program. Just because I like him doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism or I'm going to shy from pointing out mistakes.

Advertisement
There's been some head scratchers that have nearly cost us games.

- Walton over Homer looked dumb in the FSU and Duke games at the time. Now it looks downright retarded. We basically played FSU with one hand tied behind our backs as playing a one legged Walton made us a pass only team. Hard to have an effective offense when you are one dimensional. The frustrating thing is that it was self imposed.

- Why was Richt so pass happy for much of the game today? Through 3 quarters, Homer only had 11 carries. When it started pouring rain, Richt came out throwing.

- Along the same lines, too much passing and not enough Homer in the redzone. Here are some redzone stats for you: Rosier was 1-6 in the redzone (i'm not counting the gauthier catch). The one completion? A td to Homer. Meanwhile Homer only received two redzone carries the whole game (12 yard gain and no gain). That's a glaring mistake on a day when settling for fgs nearly lost us the game. The man's running style is made for the redzone. He runs through arm tackles, he pushes piles, he hits the hole hard. He's clearly our best weapon on offense, give him the **** ball down there and let him find the endzone.

- Already been beaten to death, but stop the jumpballs to the midget receivers. Get Langham in the game. Stop throwing to Harley. On offense you want to maximize the potential for a play to work. Can't afford to waste down and throws to Harley and jump balls to the midget youngsters have so far proven to be wasted downs. Go with something else that has a higher chance of gaining positive yards.

- Would like to see dallas get a crack at 2nd string rb. Gray is pedestrian.

We are blessed to have such a Don Coryell gifted offensive football mind such as yours freely offering sage observations and criticisms to Mark Richt. Yet, call me crazy, but maybe, just maybe Coach Richt has reasons for his play calling and personnel decisions.

After all, he's only invested the last 35 years of his life studying and coaching football for 60 to 80 hours a week in season, but you, watching football for several hours each week would certainly be immensely more qualified to create and install offensive schemes, and do all of the play calling and personnel decisions than silly ole Mark Richt.

As one example of your genius is your observation as to the "jump balls" to the "midget receivers" when one of those so-called "jump balls" was really a back shoulder throw, but let's not let facts get in the way of your diatribe.

I for one look forward to you being at the very least appointed the Canes new offensive coordinator, but hope they fire Richt and appoint you head coach...now that's something I would love to see!

So you're ok with Homer getting two redzone carries on a day when Rosier was 1-6 (actually 1-7 including the two point conversion) in the redzone, we settle for fgs on 4 out of 5 redzone trips and Homer goes 20 for 170??? All coaches make mistakes. This was a mistake.

I like Richt. The first real coach we've had in forever. I like what he's doing with the program. Just because I like him doesn't mean he should be immune from criticism or I'm going to shy from pointing out mistakes.

Don't waste your time responding.

Earnest is a giant imbecilic waste of space.

Last edited:
So you're ok with Homer getting two redzone carries on a day when Rosier was 1-6 (actually 1-7 including the two point conversion) in the redzone, we settle for fgs on 4 out of 5 redzone trips and Homer goes 20 for 170???

I'm OK with Richt calling the plays over an armchair quarterback.

Malik's accuracy is tebowesque... That's not on richt. That said I think there's room for improvement as an OC

Watch out.

The "Richt is a great OC" brigade is going to downvote you into obvilion.

I don't know why.
Agree or disagree with his OP, he states his points to back up his conclusion.
One may agree or disagree with his points, but at least he shares his reasons.
That is how a message board should work, IMO.

Advertisement
Back