Recruiting Update 4/15/18: Post Spring Game

View as article
Could care less about ranking. Evaluate, and get most COACHES top prospects and I believe we will be good. Look at Rousseau, a 3* prospect. I expect the same steal from 3* Miller who Richt said thought was the best NT in the state and perhaps the country. Same with of our current 3* commits. No reason to not trust the staffs evals at this point....no matter where it ranks.

Don't forget how good frierson and ivey look.. while everyone was panicking about CB it seems the staff knew they had two starter level talents

Advertisement
Im curious and i guess this question goes for everyone. But if we didnt have a rankings system to base things off of. Where all we had was the physical traits of a kid & the plays hes actually made would ANY of yall still be hurt we didnt land ladson?why in all actuality does it matter that we miss on ladson? Simply cause hes fast & tall? Okay thats lance leggett. Does anyone miss him in hindsight? Spiderman.

Not that I disagree with you but for me it has to do more with losing a top notch prospect from your backyard. In this case, the WR position isn’t a top priority so this isn’t like losing Campbell or Surtain last year. But let’s hope we close on some DB’s, OL and DL’s.

Not that I disagree with you but for me it has to do more with losing a top notch prospect from your backyard. In this case, the WR position isn’t a top priority so this isn’t like losing Campbell or Surtain last year. But let’s hope we close on some DB’s, OL and DL’s.
But thats not answering the actual question brother. You're stating a top prospect which means you're still using the rankings systems in place. Subtract that to where all kids are equal & the only mitigating factors are what they've physically achieved on the field & their traits. Anotherwords a kid who is a 2 star whos 6'4 180 running a 4.5 is the same as a 5 star with the same measurements and speed. But ones from florida and the other is from buttfvck egypt. Both have shaky hands at best. Than what makes you want the 5 star from florida over the one from egypt? If neither have done jack **** on the field to deserve the rankings they received. Easiest way to look at this for me is if people who are friends of this dudes laugh about his rankings and say only reason hes ranked is cause hes tall & fast. That he catches at best 4 out of every 10 balls thrown to him cause he has bricks for hands than why exactly do or should we want him?

But thats not answering the actual question brother. You're stating a top prospect which means you're still using the rankings systems in place. Subtract that to where all kids are equal & the only mitigating factors are what they've physically achieved on the field & their traits. Anotherwords a kid who is a 2 star whos 6'4 180 running a 4.5 is the same as a 5 star with the same measurements and speed. But ones from florida and the other is from buttfvck egypt. Both have shaky hands at best. Than what makes you want the 5 star from florida over the one from egypt? If neither have done jack **** on the field to deserve the rankings they received. Easiest way to look at this for me is if people who are friends of this dudes laugh about his rankings and say only reason hes ranked is cause hes tall & fast. That he catches at best 4 out of every 10 balls thrown to him cause he has bricks for hands than why exactly do or should we want him?

The kid from florida has went against better competition than the other kid, and is definately more ready to play right now.

The kid from florida has went against better competition than the other kid, and is definately more ready to play right now.
Ehhhh. Ok its a given that he's played better comp. But ur competitors don't define you as a football player. They help to mold sure. But if you're not doing anything against that comp than what is the difference? One is average against egyptians while the other is average against floridians. What holds him back is himself not his comp. If the difference in that is competitive than make both from florida. Cause what im trying to say is the only difference would be whats been physically done on the field by said kid. Point being with that logic the only reason to be upset we didnt land ladson is hes from florida. If ladson was a 5 star from egypt hed still have the same HUGE flaws in his game that he currently has...

Advertisement
Ehhhh. Ok its a given that he's played better comp. But ur competitors don't define you as a football player. They help to mold sure. But if you're not doing anything against that comp than what is the difference? One is average against egyptians while the other is average against floridians. What holds him back is himself not his comp. If the difference in that is competitive than make both from florida. Cause what im trying to say is the only difference would be whats been physically done on the field by said kid. Point being with that logic the only reason to be upset we didnt land ladson is hes from florida. If ladson was a 5 star from egypt hed still have the same HUGE flaws in his game that he currently has...

not to change the subject but wondering if you went to practice today ? If so, did you get any vibes about all this recruiting stuff?

With who I realistically expect Miami to land. They could still have a top 10 class. Long way to go. Miami is going to pick up some dudes through these next few months.
We need to pick some up and we need them to be ambassadors for the class and actively recruit other elite SoFlo kids not these I am 100000% committed guys that still visit every school imagineable and wear other teams gloves during their games.

Yes I mentioned that in the OP of this thread.
Geo, when is this going to be confirmed? I have read that it is going to be the last weekend in July according to Ivins and you say in June. Any clue when the staff is going to announce it?

Advertisement
Geo, when is this going to be confirmed? I have read that it is going to be the last weekend in July according to Ivins and you say in June. Any clue when the staff is going to announce it?

Rivals says July too. FWIW The Opening is the last week in June

fair enough, not arguing or anything just stating my point. With offers like that and the fact that literally any other major CFB team in America would take/want these kids to commit to their school is elite to me. And the fact that we are apparently going to land them in the next few months should shut all the debbie downers up about us taking L's and not having any recruiting momentum/steam.
But just becasue a kid has an offer from a school doesnt mean he is a take. J. Davis had an offer from Miami but obviously wasnt a take from what has been reported. Very good chance it could be the same for the other kids you referenced for other schools.

They’ll likely have a confirmation for it after the spring. From my understand before it is supposed to be mid-June. Not entirely sure how end of July would work considering that is a new dead period. I thought they could maybe fit it in the first weekend of August, right before they open Fall Camp, would be able to use the IPF.

I said on NSD that we wouldn't have a Top 10 class this cycle, and got killed for it. Thing is, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing as long as we hit on our targets particularly at LB, DE, DB and OL.

We'll be okay, but I do question slow playing guys like Jaden Davis. I don't get it.

I agree. I mean, just looking at team ranks means little. Last year, we would have been Top 5 had we landed just someone like Chatfield. The year before, CJ would have given us a top 10 class. A lot of times, just a few points can seperate 4-5 teams if you use the 247 score.

Who we land, and how it fits our needs is much more important than just where we rank. I'd rather have the #12 class, but recruit well at key spots than the #7 class, but have most of the points come from RB/WR (like FSU in 2017).

UF and FSU can brag about that stuff all they want, I just care about getting a good portion of our targets and wining on the field

Advertisement
I agree. I mean, just looking at team ranks means little. Last year, we would have been Top 5 had we landed just someone like Chatfield. The year before, CJ would have given us a top 10 class. A lot of times, just a few points can seperate 4-5 teams if you use the 247 score.

Who we land, and how it fits our needs is much more important than just where we rank. I'd rather have the #12 class, but recruit well at key spots than the #7 class, but have most of the points come from RB/WR (like FSU in 2017).

UF and FSU can brag about that stuff all they want, I just care about getting a good portion of our targets and wining on the field

The staff literally just did this.

This ol' "if he fits what the staff wants then that's all I care about" narrative is so weak. Please stop with this loser mentality. How many past teams ranked outside of the top 10 in recruiting annually have won a National Championship? There's only one and that team plays in the ACC--Clemson.

The staff literally just did this.

This ol' "if he fits what the staff wants then that's all I care about" narrative is so weak. Please stop with this loser mentality. How many past teams ranked outside of the top 10 in recruiting annually have won a National Championship? There's only one and that team plays in the ACC--Clemson.
Auburn

Someone just told me it’s being reported elsewhere that Tecory Couch was a take for Miami. That is false. Miami would not take his commitment right now straight from one of his coaches mouth.

Advertisement
Someone just told me it’s being reported elsewhere that Tecory Couch was a take for Miami. That is false. Miami would not take his commitment right now straight from one of his coaches mouth.

Honest question, Is the staff waiting for Stevenson and Steele to make decisions before anyone else can be a take?

Well that is an easy question to answer, most kids at this level are ranked on potential, not actual production. For instance, why was Mark Pope ranked so high last year? His stats were straight garbage. 11 catches for 247 yards and 3 TDs in 11 games. 1 catch per game on average. Yet he was a 5 star recruit. He had that ranking strictly based on potential. 6'4 kids like Ladson who run legitimate 4.5's in high school don't grow on trees.

And regarding Ladson, I am not sure what you mean that he hasn't done **** on the field. In his Junior year he accounted for 29 catches, 679 yards and 8 TDS. Statistically he completely outshined Pope on the football field. So, considering he is 6'4, 180, runs a 4.5, still a Junior in high school, and plays against the best high school competition in the country, and in the biggest classification (8A) I would say he is deserving of his ranking.

Last edited:

Ladson hasn't produced on the field? I was under the impression he has? Tape looks good (to my untrained eye)

I'm not sweating the loss bc I understand you can't get them all and we pulled in a monster WR class last year with Hightower already looking like an animal and ready to contribute early.

Well that is an easy question to answer, most kids at this level are ranked on potential, not actual production. For instance, why was Mark Pope ranked so high last year? His stats were straight garbage. 11 catches for 247 yards and 3 TDs in 11 games. 1 catch per game on average. Yet he was a 5 star recruit. He had that ranking strictly based on potential. 6'4 kids like Ladson who run legitimate 4.5's in high school don't grow on trees.

And regarding Ladson, I am not sure what you mean that he hasn't done **** on the field. In his Junior year he accounted for 29 catches, 679 yards and 8 TDS. Statistically he completely outshined Pope on the football field. So, considering he is 6'4, 180, runs a 4.5, still a Junior in high school, and plays against the best high school competition in the country, and in the biggest classification (8A) I would say he is deserving of his ranking.
Look how many times he was targeted. Youre still talking rankings but ill move on from that. Not trying to argue with anyone. Ive seen what i had to & his peers told me all i needed to hear and this was before i even knew we had no shot at him. As a fan base it would be great if people would stop obsessing with what we dont have & focus on what we do. By the way nephew is 6'4 208 and runs that same 4.5... lol people talk about stats like it explains all. Ok so what you just quoted for ladson you consider worthy of this 5 star unicorn? Nephew had 72 catches 1800 plus yards & 17 tds his sophmore year before he transferred to img... is that a lil more worthy or no cause it wasnt at south dade? And no part of south dade plays the best comp in the country. Feel free to look at their schedule & tell me where you see that. I just looked at it & other than the west was a bunch of suspect teams... thats like saying sunset is a powerhouse... img plays the best comp in the country. Its not an arguement its a fact. No need to qualify ladson by saying that anyhow though. From what i remember the best teams in dade are in 6a or somewhat in 4a. But that does change yearly and theres so many districts now that i could be wrong. Im sure macho or one of the guys who stays on top of that could explain better.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back