REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

From what I've read, think Texas and OU will be "functional" in the SEC by 2023.
Interesting. You absolutely could be right. The last I saw "scheduling" was being cited as one of the main reasons both were supposedly staying until 2025.

Advertisement
Wait, GOR is with ESPN?

Honest question, I have no clue. I assumed it was a contract between the schools and the ACC
It's functionally a two way contractal relationship.

GoR is with ACC from members.... HOWEVER... GoR is only as valuable as the payment agreement between ACC and ESPN.

If one party doesn't hold up their end of the bargain value-wise......

Apologies if posted elsewhere but this always seemed more likely than the "They have the Rose Bowl history!!!!" crowd that predicted a Big Ten/Pac 12 merger.

I just play a former Big East commissioner on TV so what do I know but my guess is that if there's any major movement with us that it'll involve the Big Ten (probably w/ Notre Dame) rather than the SEC. Either a merger of the entire/most of the ACC or a dissolution of the conference with some ACC schools going to the Big Ten and a few (not us) to the SEC.

Or the Big Ten and ACC stand pat and Notre Dame chooses one.

👆Fatality finishing move to ACC if they link up

Advertisement
A few thoughts:

1. What a blown opportunity by the ACC in not forcing ND's hand last year (perhaps Swofford had one foot out the door and was asleep on the job?). I doubt ND would have joined full time permanently over one season's worth of football, but the ACC could have saved ND's season as they did last year in exchange for a 5 year term as a full member beginning in 2025. This would have allowed the ACC to negotiate a new TV deal for those 5 seasons bringing it closer to the school payouts in the Big 10 and SEC. Plus, it would have given ND a chance to see if they enjoy the benefits of conference membership over that time period and maybe help them decide to join permanently. ND currently makes less than other ACC schools even with their NBC contract, but if they can physically see the cash they would get as a member it could change their mind.

If ND refused, no big deal. No ND season last year and ACC just keeps its agreement with them as is.

I'm just hopeful ND remembers the ACC helped them out in a big way last year and ND eventually joins full time (like the way they kept Navy on their schedule due to Navy helping ND back in the day). Wishful thinking I'm sure, but you never know.

2. As much as the ACC dropped the ball last year, I still don't see how it is not the best conference for Miami (unless they were to lose their P5 status). The ACC gives Miami the latitude to keep its athletic department relatively small compared to those in the SEC and Big 10. I am almost positive the SEC mandates each school to participate in a certain number of sports. The $$$ gains Miami could get by going to either the SEC or Big 10 could be eaten up with the addition of multiple Olympic sports by Miami.

2. As much as the ACC dropped the ball last year, I still don't see how it is not the best conference for Miami (unless they were to lose their P5 status). The ACC gives Miami the latitude to keep its athletic department relatively small compared to those in the SEC and Big 10. I am almost positive the SEC mandates each school to participate in a certain number of sports. The $$$ gains Miami could get by going to either the SEC or Big 10 could be eaten up with the addition of multiple Olympic sports by Miami.
Excellent point. When a school in MIAMI does not have men's soccer or golf that tells you the athletic department cannot or will not expand it's athletics.

IF FSU/Clemson leave, or even cause enough trouble over leaving, ESPN might possibly void GoR with ACC.

Best case scenario:
1. FSU/Clemson bail on the ACC and pay the $400 zillion penalty which gets distributed to the remaining teams
2. ACC falls apart so Miami is no longer tied to an incompetent conference
3. Miami takes the 30+ million share of their distribution and starts a new conference, with blackjack and hookers.
4. On second thought, forget the new conference.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
This may very well play out like super-league did in europe, however I dont think a group of gypsies is gonna be able to sway universities the same way it did for a few football clubs.

Now If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC the conf is ****ed. Plain and simple.

At that point, the honest to god truth is, Miami should go independent. We have been before and can do so again.

Being independent with a 12-team playoff and a constantly tough schedule is a fine way to go. ND proves this is still possible and the team can sign its own network contracts for games.

A few thoughts:

1. What a blown opportunity by the ACC in not forcing ND's hand last year (perhaps Swofford had one foot out the door and was asleep on the job?). I doubt ND would have joined full time permanently over one season's worth of football, but the ACC could have saved ND's season as they did last year in exchange for a 5 year term as a full member beginning in 2025. This would have allowed the ACC to negotiate a new TV deal for those 5 seasons bringing it closer to the school payouts in the Big 10 and SEC. Plus, it would have given ND a chance to see if they enjoy the benefits of conference membership over that time period and maybe help them decide to join permanently. ND currently makes less than other ACC schools even with their NBC contract, but if they can physically see the cash they would get as a member it could change their mind.

If ND refused, no big deal. No ND season last year and ACC just keeps its agreement with them as is.

I'm just hopeful ND remembers the ACC helped them out in a big way last year and ND eventually joins full time (like the way they kept Navy on their schedule due to Navy helping ND back in the day). Wishful thinking I'm sure, but you never know.

Oh it’ll lose its P5 status. It’ll be the reincarnation of the Big East but this time without FSU and maybe even VT. Clemson is going to go to the bidder.

Being independent with a 12-team playoff and a constantly tough schedule is a fine way to go. ND proves this is still possible and the team can sign its own network contracts for games.
Not the 1980's anymore, unfortunately.

Very difficult to put together a worthwhile schedule that'd bring decent crowds to JRS, especially in October and November as teams we'd want to play would be locked into their conference games. We'd probably be stuck doing late-season home-and-home series with programs well outside the current "Power 5" conferences.

As far as basketball and the other sports go, maybe we could squeeze into the Big East where the nearest conference opponent in Georgetown would be a 2.5 hour flight away.

Last edited:

Im taking the source with a grain of salt, but this is the move I hope Miami makes. Rather than staying in a watered down ACC.

Advertisement
Not the 1980's anymore, unfortunately.

Very difficult to put together a worthwhile schedule that'd bring decent crowds to JRS, especially in October and November as teams we'd want to play would be locked into their conference games. We'd probably be stuck doing late-season home-and-home series with programs well outside the current "Power 5" conferences.

As far as basketball and the other sports go, maybe we could squeeze into the Big East where the nearest conference opponent in Georgetown would be a 2.5 hour flight away.

When Miami is winning the stadium is sold out even against G5 squads. The thing the ACC (or any P5 really) enables is Miami to be content with mediocrity since no matter what happens, the team is guaranteed a large payout by the ACC. For those who think the SEC or B1G is the answer, I think it will only make the school administration even lazier as they can do virtually nothing and nearly double the payout. I think we'd end up being a ****ty Vanderbilt without the academics or baseball. With all the new money coming in, the admin would have absolutely no reason to put effort into athletics and things would get much worse.

Miami truly excelled when it depended on itself for success. Joining a major conference was the death of the program because Miami no longer needed to innovate - the BOT just wanted company men to keep the ACC happy.

Im taking the source with a grain of salt, but this is the move I hope Miami makes. Rather than staying in a watered down ACC.

MAGA Mike is just stealing my material. Must've listened to my appearance on the Hank Goldberg Show prior to their show yesterday.

That said, it's actually the move I hope we make too but with most of the ACC. The Big 12 and Pac 32 seemingly are content in forming a laughable superconference. So this leaves the Big Ten & ACC (and theoretically Notre Dame) to stop the SEC in its Hitler-esque plans for world domination and forming a real equal or better superconference of their own.

I'm getting more and more convinced by the day that 3 superconferences is where this all ends up. And it's where it should so as the ACC and Big Ten aren't left to try to individually play ***-for-tat with the SEC's expansion hard-on.

Advertisement
MAGA Mike is just stealing my material. Must've listened to my appearance on the Hank Goldberg Show prior to their show yesterday.

That said, it's actually the move I hope we make too but with most of the ACC. The Big 12 and Pac 32 seemingly are content in forming a laughable superconference. So this leaves the Big Ten & ACC (and theoretically Notre Dame) to stop the SEC in its Hitler-esque plans for world domination and forming a real equal or better superconference of their own.

I'm getting more and more convinced by the day that 3 superconferences is where this all ends up. And it's where it should so as the ACC and Big Ten aren't left to try to individually play ***-for-tat with the SEC's expansion hard-on.

You may be right, and you’ve had a lot of good posts on this topic regarding possible scenarios, but Mike is about as plugged in to the players in this scenario as you or I.

I’m not berating the logic of the argument with respect to him (or you), I’m just cautioning that people read this tweet and think that somehow this is a real thing that’s happening behind the scenes, when this guy has zero clue. He’s just a talking head on a talk show trying to keep things moving along.

Last edited:

He knows nothing and we would be terribly suited for that conference as it is currently constructed.

You may be right, and you’ve had a lot of good posts on this topic regarding possible scenarios, but Mike is about his plugged in to the players in this scenario as you or I.

I’m not berating the logic of the argument with respect to him (or you), I’m just cautioning that people read this tweet and think that somehow this is a real thing that’s happening behind the scenes, when this guy has zero clue. He’s just a talking head on a talk show trying to keep things moving along.
Ohhh for surrrre. This is basically just a step above Mike throwing **** against the wall. I think the most he possibly did was speak to someone at the school about hypotheticals and this person (probably a mid-level athletic dept sauce at best) said we're more likely to end up in the Big Ten than everyone's SEC dreams. Certainly not an indicator of any REAL movement in that direction.

He knows nothing and we would be terribly suited for that conference as it is currently constructed.

I agree in theory, geographically, culturally, etc, but also in theory, and only in theory because no one reputable has even hinted this is being discussed even preliminarily, some move to this conference may be our only, and best option, depending on how the dominoes fall, if they fall.

Advertisement
Back