REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Which of these two landing sports for the Canes would be preferable?

SEC EAST: Miami, Clemson, UF, FSU, Georgia, Kentucky, NC State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

BIG TEN EAST: Miami, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia

Which of these two landing sports for the Canes would be preferable?

SEC EAST: Miami, Clemson, UF, FSU, Georgia, Kentucky, NC State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

BIG TEN EAST: Miami, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Virginia
Either is fine. Just win. Division and conference* don't matter.

*assuming ACC retains D1P5 status

Division and conference* don't matter.

*assuming ACC retains D1P5 status

What if the "New" ACC does receive an auto bid to the expanded playoffs, but our conference schedule consists of realignment leftovers like Georgia Tech, Wake, Pitt, Louisville, BC and 'Cuse and call-ups like UCF, USF, Cincinnati and Memphis?

Is having an easier path to the playoffs as or more important or beneficial than playing in a top-tier conference that in itself could bolster media attention, recruiting and fan interest?

What if the "New" ACC does receive an auto bid to the expanded playoffs, but our conference schedule consists of realignment leftovers like Georgia Tech, Wake, Pitt, Louisville, BC and 'Cuse and call-ups like UCF, USF, Cincinnati and Memphis?

Is having an easier path to the playoffs as or more important or beneficial than playing in a top-tier conference that in itself could bolster media attention, recruiting and fan interest?
You bring up a good point...

Cleary D1P5 CFB is headed to the NFL model of structure.

At the end of the day, no one cares about divisions or conferences. They care about punching their ticket to the "2nd season" and being built to make a run all the way to the brass ring.

Advertisement
What would you change?

I mean unless there are going to be a lot of kicking teams out of the BIG, PAC, SEC, I don't see how much things could change really. It's pretty easy to see who the BIG would be interested in because they 1) Want AAU schools and 2) Actually care about Basketball. I feel confident Kansas is about to join the BIG when the B12 dies soon. Obviously ND is the biggest fish next, and in a superconference scenario where the ACC is gone, they'd obviously join the BIG imo. Honestly UNC, GTech, Miami, and VTech seem like the only 3 schools that could join either the SEC or BIG. But Miami and VTech aren't currently AAU members though both could realistically gain membership in the not too distant future (especially VTech).

Like the SEC could easily kick Mizzou, Vanderbilt, and like South Carolina out if they were trying to do that. And GTech left the SEC specifically for academic reasons, so might not want to go back...
This is purely my preference but not what I anticipate happening:

SEC: Adds Texas, Oklahoma, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, WVU, NC State & Wake

Big Ten essentially merges with remaining ACC (adds Miami, BC, Pitt, UVa, Va Tech, Dook, UNC, GT) AND Notre Dame

Pac 12 and remaining Big 12 merge completely.

Army, Navy, UCF, Houston, etc. fit in where they can get in.

"Pods" are determined later by someone with a deeper attention span than myself.

Big Ten essentially merges with remaining ACC (adds Miami, BC, Pitt, UVa, Va Tech, Dook, UNC, GT) AND Notre Dame

"Pods" are determined later by someone with a deeper attention span than myself.
Good list.

So many different moving parts.

Guessing three full-fledged ACC members would be locks to get invites to the SEC (Clemson, FSU and UNC) and two or three from the Big Ten (UNC, UVa and most likely Puke).

Feel like the SEC's preference would be for the Canes to get frozen out of both of the superconferences, but also imagine Greg Sankey doesn't want a major CFB brand from this part of the country returning to elite status in the SEC's arch-rival league. So there's risk for the SEC if it doesn't invite Miami.

One downside would be the FSU rivalry may be gone if this were to occur.

...I think mine is more realistic. Some schools need to be demoted essentially, and I really don't see any reason why the SEC would want Wake or NCSt - or why the BIG would be jumping to get them. ND, UNC, Miami, and VTech would be MUCH higher priorities for them after Clemson and FSU, and the SEC would definitely be able to get more than just 2 of their top 6 targets.

Advertisement

I think being part of a better conference is more important. We'd be a poor man's OU - get into the playoffs every year and then get smashed.

Recruits want to play in high profile games that show case their talents to the NFL. Higher profile recruits will start looking elsewhere if Miami's only getting 1 meaningful game whereas the SEC has half the schedule that could make a primetime slot.

If we were to stay in the ACC sans Clemson and FSU, we're not getting highly viable recruits at a high clip. We'd grab a few 4 stars and the occasional 5 star. But we're not loading up anymore (or have the chance to) going forward if that were to happen.

I think getting back the tamu and ut rivalry will be good for college football. Those teams hate each other like we hate ufag

I think getting back the tamu and ut rivalry will be good for college football. Those teams hate each other like we hate ufag
Which make TAMU UF and UT Miami because we aren't afraid to be in the same conference, but they'd protest like crazy.

Advertisement
I think being part of a better conference is more important ... Recruits want to play in high profile games that show case their talents to the NFL. Higher profile recruits will start looking elsewhere if Miami's only getting 1 meaningful game whereas the SEC has half the schedule that could make a primetime slot ...
Well said.

Playing marquee opponents also is vital to maintaining interest from (and selling tickets to) casual UM fans.

Too many entertainment options in South Florida to keep those folks interested with a watered-down conference — particularly if both UF and FSU belong to the SEC, which seems inevitable.

...I think mine is more realistic. Some schools need to be demoted essentially, and I really don't see any reason why the SEC would want Wake or NCSt - or why the BIG would be jumping to get them. ND, UNC, Miami, and VTech would be MUCH higher priorities for them after Clemson and FSU, and the SEC would definitely be able to get more than just 2 of their top 6 targets.
I actually don't think either are super realistic. Mine for the reasons you mentioned and yours because I don't see CFB essentially relegating teams (although I personally wouldn't be opposed to it in a few instances).

I basically approached mine as attempting to fit everyone (except the independents and wannabes like UCF/Houston sans Notre Dame) into 3 conferences.

As far as why the SEC would end up taking Wake and NC State- it would basically just end up being a numbers game as they'd be a significantly smaller conference than the new "Big Atlantic" and "Big Pacific". Theoretically those two programs would at least fit/help hoops wise and Wake would bring very solid academics to a conference that still would only be able to point at Vandy and Texas on that front.

I actually don't think either are super realistic. Mine for the reasons you mentioned and yours because I don't see CFB essentially relegating teams (although I personally wouldn't be opposed to it in a few instances).

I basically approached mine as attempting to fit everyone (except the independents and wannabes like UCF/Houston sans Notre Dame) into 3 conferences.

As far as why the SEC would end up taking Wake and NC State- it would basically just end up being a numbers game as they'd be a significantly smaller conference than the new "Big Atlantic" and "Big Pacific". Theoretically those two programs would at least fit/help hoops wise and Wake would bring very solid academics to a conference that still would only be able to point at Vandy and Texas on that front.
I think the SEC is way more likely to kick out Vandy than add Wake lol. But the BIG is the conference that would most care about academics anyways. Thats why from your list if you just get VTech and Miami into the SEC instead I think it makes more sense. Wake makes more sense in the BIG than miami or VTech from an academic perspective. The Only Non-AAU school it seems like the BIG would actually make an exception for is ND.

I think there HAS to be a few teams that just get left out of these super conferences though, not EVERYONE is going to make it out in a better position. NCSt and Louisville seem like those kinda teams out of the ACC to me as do a few in the B12. And I think the BIG is unlikely to kick any schools out, but I definitely can see the SEC kicking a few members to the curb.

the Pac would definitely get 1st dibs on pretty much any B12 team, except for maybe Kansas going to the BIG.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back