REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Not the 1980's anymore, unfortunately.

Very difficult to put together a worthwhile schedule that'd bring decent crowds to JRS, especially in October and November as teams we'd want to play would be locked into their conference games. We'd probably be stuck doing late-season home-and-home series with programs well outside the current "Power 5" conferences.

As far as basketball and the other sports go, maybe we could squeeze into the Big East where the nearest conference opponent in Georgetown would be a 2.5 hour flight away.
We don't get decent crowds now, except for a few marquee games. That's exactly how it was back when we were an Independent.

He knows nothing and we would be terribly suited for that conference as it is currently constructed.
I’d imagine , if this was true, there’d be a strong contingent of southern teams added to the conference. Miami isn’t in a place where you can pitch them as a crown jewel of realignment. I would prefer we align in a conference that has traditional powers. Offers bigger tv contracts and more exposure. My fear is the ACC chooses to add some AAC teams and calls it a day. That doesn’t move the needle at all for me.

Iowa St & Kansas to B1G isn't a big splash so if they are to expand, they need some teams just as big as OU and Texas.

I’d imagine , if this was true, there’d be a strong contingent of southern teams added to the conference. Miami isn’t in a place where you can pitch them as a crown jewel of realignment. I would prefer we align in a conference that has traditional powers. Offers bigger tv contracts and more exposure. My fear is the ACC chooses to add some AAC teams and calls it a day. That doesn’t move the needle at all for me.
I agree, but I don't think that's on the table ( adding AAC teams). I don't even think adding the B12 teams is on the table. I think it's Notre Dame or bust, then see how the chips fall.

Advertisement
I agree, but I don't think that's on the table ( adding AAC teams). I don't even think adding the B12 teams is on the table. I think it's Notre Dame or bust, then see how the chips fall.
Kansas isn't a bad add but just horrible geographically. Let the big ten have Kansas and we can take Maryland back, lol ...

So it will be bust, because ND isn't going to become a full member of the ACC. They already know they could have been making far more money as a full member of a conference and it hasn't swayed them. The expanded playoffs make it even less attractive now.

Great article about why ND will only join a conference as last resort, and they are such a draw that they can pretty much get anyone on the schedule. Article mentions that all independent teams actually get a annual payout from the CFP, even if they don't make the playoffs. I wasn't aware of that.

This may very well play out like super-league did in europe, however I dont think a group of gypsies is gonna be able to sway universities the same way it did for a few football clubs.

Now If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC the conf is ****ed. Plain and simple.

At that point, the honest to god truth is, Miami should go independent. We have been before and can do so again.

Being independent with a 12-team playoff and a constantly tough schedule is a fine way to go. ND proves this is still possible and the team can sign its own network contracts for games.
I don't think in today's football landscape, an Independent Miami can compete with the loss of guaranteed conference payouts. ND only gets 15 million from NBC. We aint getting that.

I don't think in today's football landscape, an Independent Miami can compete with the loss of guaranteed conference payouts. ND only gets 15 million from NBC. We aint getting that.
Honest to god, I think Miami can, truly. You can for sure create a deal valuation to justify that amount of money yearly to Miami alone from a major network.

I know Miami has had multiple 4.0+ rating games every year, with a **** schedule, and a **** team.

The reason why ND continues to get respect is they don't play cupcakes. Their schedule is full of rivals and some down teams, but the vast majority are top-level power 5 teams. Always.

If Miami adopted a similar schedule, they could command a similar TV deal, because TV channels care about... MATCHUPS. Thats it. They want matchups.

The ACC provides **** *** matchups unless they have multiple top 25 teams, which they dont, ever, at least at a competitive level.

ND's playbook is not a secret, and it can be replicated... the team needs to bet on themselves to accomplish it and stop scheduling cupcakes though.

Advertisement
So it will be bust, because ND isn't going to become a full member of the ACC. They already know they could have been making far more money as a full member of a conference and it hasn't swayed them. The expanded playoffs make it even less attractive now.

Great article about why ND will only join a conference as last resort, and they are such a draw that they can pretty much get anyone on the schedule. Article mentions that all independent teams actually get a annual payout from the CFP, even if they don't make the playoffs. I wasn't aware of that.
ND is not the $$$ draw people think it is. Yes the ACC will beg them to join. Very likely they do not.

👆Very telling one liner in article.

So the whole Miami to Big 10 thing has no legs and was just a talking point on the radio apparently. It wasn't even a rumor, it was an idea of the host.

ND is not the $$$ draw people think it is. Yes the ACC will beg them to join. Very likely they do not.

👆Very telling one liner in article.

NDs first game of the season will only be available online (Peacock). All games after that will be on NBC and streaming on Peacock. ND is testing the waters to see what kind of numbers they can get with streaming only. Why? I suspect they have very smart people who are thinking of an exclusive deal with Amazon or Netflix instead of renewing in 2025. 15 million per year from NBC is peanuts. I think Bezos would pay north of 50 million per year for the exclusive rights to a national brand like Notre Dame. Streaming is the way of the future. Why Miami isn't exploring this is baffling. Maybe the numbers don't make sense and sticking with a conference is better financially (would be tough to top the B1Gs payouts) , but for Christ's sakes at least kick the tires on independence and see what kind of $$$ might get from one of the big online providers.

NDs first game of the season will only be available online (Peacock). All games after that will be on NBC and streaming on Peacock. ND is testing the waters to see what kind of numbers they can get with streaming only. Why? I suspect they have very smart people who are thinking of an exclusive deal with Amazon or Netflix instead of renewing in 2025. 15 million per year from NBC is peanuts. I think Bezos would pay north of 50 million per year for the exclusive rights to a national brand like Notre Dame. Streaming is the way of the future. Why Miami isn't exploring this is baffling. Maybe the numbers don't make sense and sticking with a conference is better financially (would be tough to top the B1Gs payouts) , but for Christ's sakes at least kick the tires on independence and see what kind of $$$ might get from one of the big online providers.
strong point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This may very well play out like super-league did in europe, however I dont think a group of gypsies is gonna be able to sway universities the same way it did for a few football clubs.

Now If FSU and Clemson leave the ACC the conf is ****ed. Plain and simple.

At that point, the honest to god truth is, Miami should go independent. We have been before and can do so again.

Being independent with a 12-team playoff and a constantly tough schedule is a fine way to go. ND proves this is still possible and the team can sign its own network contracts for games.
What worked for Miami a couple of decades back isn't going to work in this climate. We've had the same conversations on facilities; the common theme was that we never had the facilities other schools did back in the day. Well, times changed and you see Miami made the effort to start competing with other school's in that area.

Miami is going to be hard-pressed to find quality competition. No school in the SEC is going to schedule Miami moving forward if Clemson and FSU bolt for the SEC. Strength of schedule is going to be a theme with every school in that conference and they're not going to be pressured for prime time OOC matchups.

Notre Dame is likely going to be in the same boat too if the remaining schools from the ACC/Big12 find their way into the Pac12 and Big 10. It's a domino effect and being independent is going to leave you scrambling to having to find quality opponents.

We'd be relying on Blake James for finding us a quality schedule from the ground up. You really want to rely on him?

This is why when people say that the SEC would be stupid to not take Miami are talking out of their ***. Yes, playing in the ACC has devalued our brand. But the SEC would not be hurting if they didn't take Miami. Especially now that they have a strangle hold on the midwest market with adding OU and UT. If they add Clemson and FSU, they now have the entire Southeast market. Yes, a Miami vs FSU vs UF annual rivalry would be great. But it's not a backbreaker if it doesn't happen for the conference.

👆Fatality finishing move to ACC if they link up
Yup. ACC doesn't need to waste time adding meaningless teams. ND ain't coming and WVU doesn't blow anyones skirt up. The Big 12 and PAC 12 merging would instantly put the ACC at the bottom of the ladder and might prod the B1G to look at poaching the AAU teams from the ACC. Then it snowballs from there.

Advertisement
Back