REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Lots of duct tape solutions being offered:
  • kick out sorry ol' School A
  • or tell School B to find someplace else to house its deadbeat football program
  • or hoodwink Penn State into thinking the ACC is practically as good and financially sound as the B1G
  • or lift the skirt, drop the panties and bend over for Notre Dame
  • finally, just keep repeating "things are going to be OK" over and over and over

But this league is far too much of a geographical and cultural hodge-podge to stay intact long-term

In what world do FSU and Clemson each with their three national championship trophies, 80k-seat on-campus stadiums and full-fledged $EC football recruiting tactic$ belong in a conference with Northeast private schools like Boston College and Syracuse?

Why would universities with elite academic reputations and arrogance to match like Duke, UVa, UNC and Georgia Tech want to associate -- much less be in the same conference -- with Louisville (and, ****, for that matter NC State and Virginia Tech)?

Shouldn't Wake Forest's rivals be Davidson and UNC-Greensboro?

Who gives a **** about Pitt, which has about a 1% or so chance of returning to college football relevance?

And then's there's The U, perpetually a great Head Coach backed by a fully committed and competent administration from reclaiming our glory days

What a mess of a conference
Virginia Tech is a good engineering school.

Virginia Tech is a good engineering school.
Yeah, no doubt VPI and NCSU (and maybe even U of L, too) have plenty of really good academic programs to offer.

This particular cultural divide in the ACC is more about the historic academic elitism (some would say snobbery) at Duke, UVa, UNC and GT that trickles down from university administrations to faculty, alumni, students and even fans who never attended those schools.

Not sure any of those four aforementioned institutions could hold their noses long enough to stomach joining a conference headed where the SEC very much appears to be going.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree with this. I wonder if there could be a future where Wake Forest gives up on big football, which could be the result if they move to distributions that are not equitable but are tied to metrics like attendance and bowl games.

If you could find a way to kick Wake Forest out, The future would look a lot better. Attract Notre Dame, and it wouldn't be impossible to think Penn State or Maryland would want back in an eastern conference where the money was closer.
I wish there would be more financial incentive for the formation of a basketball super conference to kinda force the hands of the Wakes and Dooks and Syracuses and Kansases and even Kentuckys and Marylands. The largely meaningless college hoops regular season combined with the overly generous football conference shares/payouts will probably prevent us from ever really trimming all the fat.

Advertisement
Any competent AD: “Hello Big 10? Yea ND and VT are on board. We’re willing to leave the conference of retards for the academic and athletic prowess of the Big 10. Were a better fit academically anyway.”

Miami’s AD: “I have full confidence in the ACC!” *Earthquakes and fire occurring all around.

Any competent AD: “Hello Big 10? Yea ND and VT are on board. We’re willing to leave the conference of retards for the academic and athletic prowess of the Big 10. Were a better fit academically anyway.”

Miami’s AD: “I have full confidence in the ACC!” *Earthquakes and fire occurring all around.
Notre Dame will join the ACC If it looks like we are moving to 4 16 team conferences and that's the ticket to the playoffs. That's what we need to happen

Sometimes you say smart things but then you immediately ruin them. Virginia is the flagship state University in a very large wealthy state.
Sometimes? You are being too kind.

Curious, what is UVA known for as an institution?

If push comes to shove, Vajay-jay Tech goes on to compete in smaller-superconference land while....

UVA absolutely would not.

Now, if SEC eventually becomes 40-60 team league (basically D1P5 with no NCAA oversight), I could see a scenario UVA stays.

Advertisement
Any school who breaks the grant of rights and leaves the ACC owes the conference somewhere in the neighborhood of $495M. Yes, the “M” stands for Million. Four hundred ninety-five million dollars.

Sure, that number would be argued in court. But even shaving some off still wouldn’t be remotely entertained by any university brass. Nobody is leaving the ACC anytime soon.

If the SEC took half the teams in the ACC, then those teams could just vote to dissolve the conference and nullify the GOR.

They would have to take 8 teams for that to work, though…not 2

Virginia has terrific athletic programs, to include basketball, baseball, lacrosse and soccer.
Would you think like Vandy and Wake, overall as a program they are better suited for G5 or other league play?

I don't believe they have the willingness (as public "Ivy League") to endure smaller-superconference craziness.

Just a few random thoughts.

The big 12 has been on life-support ever since a former commissioner of the big 12 allowed Texas to create the Longhorn network rather than creating a big 12 network.

Once the Longhorn network was allowed to happen, Nebraska, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Colorado all left the conference. This was all but a death nail for the conference.

Then you add the fact that they decided not to expand beyond 10 teams after only adding TCU and West Virginia.

With all these poor choices by the big 12, it is no wonder Texas and OU are leaving.

Of course who is to say that Texas And OU aren’t behind the big 12’s bad decisions in order to make it easier for them to leave.

I think that Texas and OU are counting On the big 12 folding so they don’t have to pay them $70-$80 million a piece to leave the conference.

Figuring the following that both Texas and OU have, the huge revenue loss from the TV deals is going to be extremely significant. This will force all schools to consider any and all options, and quickly. More than likely this will cause teams to seek other options and the league will become defunct.

I have a crazy idea, but it will probably never happen. OK, here goes, have the ACC merge with the Big 12 and add Houston and either ND preferably or Cincinnati. There would be three 8 team pods West, Atlantic, and Coastal. Add Houston to the west, put ND/CINCY in the Atlantic and West Virginia in the coastal. The teams would play each team in there pod and one team from each of the other pods for a 9 game schedule.

WEST

Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Houston

ATLANTIC

Clemson
FSU
Wake Forrest
NC State
Syracuse
Boston College
Louisville
ND/CINCY

COASTAL

Miami
North Carolina
Duke
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

I know this is an absolutely insane idea and probably will never happen, But I’m putting it out here anyway as I’m sure everyone will rip it to shreds. So everyone fire away.

It seems the AAC is trying to make power moves and snag all the remaining teams in the Big12. Kudos to them for trying to punch above their weight class. A long time ago, I floated the idea that if the AAC wanted to stand out, it should try to brand itself as the most innovative and flexible conference. The conference could ink top $$$ deals with Amazon or Netflix, both of which would pay massively for exclusive streaming rights. Where the other conferences are tying themselves down with contracts to a dying medium from the 20th century (cable and broadcast TV), the AAC would set itself up for the 21st century with global presence through the biggest streaming media providers. The ACC clearly has zero clue about what is happening to CFB, whereas the AAC is trying to leverage the opportunity to massively increase its footprint. I like innovation and ambition in conference leadership (it's basically why everyone is praising Sankey and the SEC). People might laugh at the AAC now, but I suspect people are going to be surprised at how strong it will be once all the CFB realignment stuff settles down.

Did someone really post that there must be something to it if FSU hasn't denied it? Stop it, FSU is starved for any attention they can get, hence the June Recruiting National Championship, of course they wouldn't deny it.
FSU is $$$$$ broken as a program. Broke hard.

Last straw was $55MM Taggart Iceberg that they ran into.

They are going to look for every single penny they can find.

Advertisement
I don't think it matters what individual SEC teams want.

Sankey has the command of the room amd is swinging 15" of limp dïck.

For the time being, what Sankey wants, Baron Von Sankeyheimerton is going to get.

Its almost worth watching Jim Delaney* stare in disbelief like the fücktardo he is.

*Essentially single-handedly vetoed CFPO to protect garbage BCS for over a decade

Is Sankey calling the shots, or is it really ESPN?

I think ESPN is pulling all the strings here behind the scenes. Follow the money, and they’re the ones writing the checks

Is Sankey calling the shots, or is it really ESPN?

I think ESPN is pulling all the strings here behind the scenes. Follow the money, and they’re the ones writing the checks
If I had to guess, Sankey is the alpha because he controls the most powerful league with its own network as well.

CBS and Fox probably want to watch ESPN implode (they are) and then negotiate from there in future.

I think ESPN is going to regret the price point of SEC. Perhaps not NBC level of pain for ND, but still.

Sometimes? You are being too kind.

Curious, what is UVA known for as an institution?

If push comes to shove, Vajay-jay Tech goes on to compete in smaller-superconference land while....

UVA absolutely would not.

Now, if SEC eventually becomes 40-60 team league (basically D1P5 with no NCAA oversight), I could see a scenario UVA stays.
Trust me, we are an agreement that the ACC has a lot of issues. Their biggest problem is small private schools that don't command a lot of eyeballs and don't put butts in the seats for football.

But there's a reason why the ACC is a top four conference. Virginia is a very strong asset. The Big Ten would love to have Virginia and North Carolina.

Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia, NC State, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech & Miami. It's a very solid eight. I know GT is an afterthought in that state, but it's a huge football loving state, a huge school, and always has potential.

Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and BC all have issues. But they add value and bring something to the table.

I'll give Duke a pass just because they bring in so much basketball money. Football drives the train, but basketball still brings in a ton of money and its needed for the proprietary cable networks.

Wake is the weak link.

Advertisement
If I had to guess, Sankey is the alpha because he controls the most powerful league with its own network as well.

CBS and Fox probably want to watch ESPN implode (they are) and then negotiate from there in future.

I think ESPN is going to regret the price point of SEC. Perhaps not NBC level of pain for ND, but still.

Could be. But then there’s a part of me that thinks this is a master stroke by ESPN as well.

ESPN owns the SEC and ACC. If you’re them, imagine what they must think of the ACC - about half the teams add value to their network (draw eyeballs and advertisers) and the other half are dead weight. From ESPN’s perspective, if they could drop Wake and BC, etc, they would get more bang for their buck.

The only reason you keep the ACC is because maybe they add Notre Dame.

If ND isn’t in play…Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the play is to have the top half of the ACC defect, vote to nullify the GOR and disband the ACC conference, and join the SEC.

Sort of like a corporate merger or consolidation

ESPN will gradually shift the vast majority of its rights fees spent on the Big XII and (once the exits begin) the ACC and the ACC Network, i.e. consolidate resources and go all-in on the biggest ticket item.

Put these like-minded schools with large, football-obsessed fan bases and the potential to compete and win at a high level and turn it into the Junior NFL for 18 to 22 year-olds.

For those of us sick of ESPN (your choice of verb here) the SEC, we ain't seen nothin' yet.

Just keep hoping and praying the Canes get an invite when all is said and done.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back